The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

2 minutes ago, champers said:

How on earth are you going to get shot of Stones? City have over inflated the transfer market by paying silly money for him and Mendy & Walker. It ends up with Harry Maguire costing £80 mill. Just in case you think I am biased against City, I thought Tyrone Mings was as bad. How he won an England cap escapes me.

We're going to donate him to Spurs as they are more desperate than we are for CBs :post-4641-1156694572:

City have had to pay the price asked, as have all other clubs in recent years, so we are no more guilty of over inflating the market than anyone else (i'd agree with you back in the early days of the Sheikh's reign when we bought some so so players at higher costs than should have been). Stones was ok back in the Centurions-winning season but is now injury prone. Mendy has been very unfortunate with injuries almost since joining City. Walker is having a very decent season - the effect of bringing in Cancelo upped his game. 

3 minutes ago, champers said:

City have over inflated the transfer market by paying silly money for him and Mendy & Walker. 

We haven't over inflated anything champers. Bug bear myth that winds me up. Blame all the other big hitters first.

Looking at all the top fees paid around europe, City don't even come into it until number 30, on an even par with Spurs. Yes, we come in at number 30 with Rodrigo. So go and shout at PSG, Barca, United, RM, Athletico, Juve, Inter, Aresenal, Chelsea etc, etc  cos they are all higher than what we are

On 2/16/2020 at 11:55 PM, mrbojangles said:

Saw this on a social media site, so don't think there is a fair usage policy

Took a while to find the source...deserves a credit i reckon:

Once upon a time, there was a really prestigious football tournament called the European Cup, which was based on sporting excellence. It brought together outstanding teams from across the continent. To qualify teams first had to prove themselves by winning their own league, this truly was a competition for champions.

With the glory though also came the opportunity for great wealth & eventually the principal of sporting excellence was overtaken by greed.

The self-appointed elite of the time the European Royalty decided they wanted a greater share of the spoils & they wanted it guaranteed regardless of their performance!

The grubby little cartel (later known as the G14) threatened to break away & form their own Super League, unless everyone else agreed to their demands!

Feeling they had little choice, UEFA caved in & the Champions League was born.

At the heart of this self-serving little cartel were 3 English clubs (Man United, Liverpool & Arsenal) & coincidentally the format of the
new competition granted 3 places to English teams.

It also changed from a straight knockout format to an initial group stage. So now not only could they still qualify by only finishing 2nd
or 3rd in the Premier League, they were also guaranteed at least 6 lucrative fixtures each season.

BOOM! The money started rolling in & the big 3 got fatter, as they disappeared over the horizon, leaving the rest of the league with
little chance of ever challenging their increasing financial dominance!

Then out of the blue, a wealthy Russian Oligarch, Roman Abramovich, rolled into town to bankroll Chelsea & gate-crash the party!

With the gravy train now under threat, the greedy little threesome convinced UEFA to increase the English allocation to 4 places!

Phew disaster averted, onwards & upwards, no harm done...

That was until the evil Sheikh Mansour bought Manchester City with his unlimited dirty oil money!!

Now with UEFA unable or unwilling to accommodate this latest unwelcome guest at the top table, a new strategy was required to preserve the dominance of the established elite.

Without further ado, the ‘Financial Fair Play’ was conceived!

This had little to do with ‘fair play’, turning a blind eye to debt ridden clubs & owners that systematically drained money out of the
game!

It was solely designed to stop wealthy owners investing in clubs & making them competitive; thus ensuring the lazy established elite
remained unchallenged.

Undeterred by the bogus nature of these new constraints targeted at them & any future investors, Manchester City embarked on transforming the club, with initial investment to break the cartel & putting top quality people in place, off the field as well as on it.

In addition to breaking all records on the pitch, the club has now achieved commercial sustainability & delivered 4 years of profit.

The club is now independently valued at over 2 Billion (reportedly outstripping all the Premier League old-guard).

This has shown a huge return on Sheikh Mansour's 1.2 Billion investment & dispelling the lie of ‘financial doping’.

So what do the owners of the established ‘European Royalty’ do now? Up their game? Risk their own money to meet the challenge?

No! They utilise their stooges in the media to try & discredit City's achievements & demand UEFA do ‘something’ to derail City’s
progress!... pathetic!

Manchester City FC, Centurions, Fourmidables, Champions of England & the best run football club in the world.

Thank you Sheikh Mansour, thank you Khaldoon & God bless Pep.

Nigel Gregory
Twitter: @Dangerous_Greg

13 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

We haven't over inflated anything champers. Bug bear myth that winds me up. Blame all the other big hitters first.

Looking at all the top fees paid around europe, City don't even come into it until number 30, on an even par with Spurs. Yes, we come in at number 30 with Rodrigo. So go and shout at PSG, Barca, United, RM, Athletico, Juve, Inter, Aresenal, Chelsea etc, etc  cos they are all higher than what we are

Hahaha your wage bill is almost three times the size of ours.

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

I think the point I was making flew over your head mate

No....the point flew over your head, conveniently.  It's this "not me guv" attitude that is one of the reasons your club irks so many people.

Are you dumb or just in denial.... the market now is irrelevant. It is already inflated. You set the ball rolling for the hyperinflation of wages around the time of your obscene cash injection.

At least if you owned up for the stuff which quite evidently you are guilty of, people may have more time when it comes to things which are under investigation.

6 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

You set the ball rolling for the hyperinflation of wages around the time of your obscene cash injection.

Unbelievable. And from a United fan. We have had this debate on here before, Over inflated prices and breaking world transfer records were happening long before City's owners were around and United were the culprits. We had no choice but to pay silly money because of the market United created (and other teams mentioned above).

Also, please have a proper debate and don't resort to name calling me or any other member 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

We had no choice but to pay silly money because of the market United created (and other teams mentioned above)

You had no choice but to pay silly money because nobody would want to go to City otherwise.

You could pay silly money because back then there were no regulations to stop it.

Now there are those regulations, and it looks as if you have broken them. 

4 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

You had no choice but to pay silly money because nobody would want to go to City otherwise.

That could partially be the case. I'll be honest, at that time we had little to offer but a vision (which we have surpassed). However, every agent then knew how much money we had and we entered your territory. As you know, as soon as United (Barca, Real, Liverpool, City etc) are mentioned or show interest in a player, the price sky rockets. 

4 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

You could pay silly money because back then there were no regulations to stop it.

Now there are those regulations, and it looks as if you have broken them. 

The above points don't have anything to do with this debate. That's FFP and not the transfer market.

2 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

The above points don't have anything to do with this debate. That's FFP and not the transfer market.

Are you honestly suggesting that transfer / football related spend isn't related to FFP?

Can't take you seriously any more. 

24 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

However, every agent then knew how much money we had and we entered your territory. As you know, as soon as United (Barca, Real, Liverpool, City etc) are mentioned or show interest in a player, the price sky rockets. 

Not for us. Virtually every player we bought since Klopp arrived we've paid under or equivalent to their true value. Players sold have done so for over their market value, and those we bought that remain are easily currently worth more than we paid, many of them more than double their value, some even more. 
Sustainable growth. 

• Like 1

Just now, BangrakBob said:

Not for us. Virtually every player we bought since Klopp arrived we've paid under or equivalent to their true value. Players sold have done so for over their market value, and those we bought that remain are easily currently worth more than we paid, many of them more than double their value, some even more. 
Sustainable growth. 

I agree and It's the same with us. Nearly every player we have bought (and I emphasise nearly) is worth a lot more than what we paid. However, that wasn't the point that Champers made. He said that we had inflated the transfer market, of which I strongly disagree for the reasons I mentioned in above posts.

I have no problem with you spending huge amounts on Alison and Vergil for instance, or United spending big on Pogba etc but I won't accept someone putting the blame solely at City's door for inflating the transfer market. We've never even broken a Premier League transfer record never mind a European Transfer record.

47 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Are you honestly suggesting that transfer / football related spend isn't related to FFP?

No. That is absolutely not what I am saying. Are you struggling with the subject we were debating?

It's about the inflated prices of players in the transfer market. Not about how clubs balance the books after the transfer for FFP. This point was purely about the spiraling costs and over inflation of players in the transfer market

7 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

No. That is absolutely not what I am saying. Are you struggling with the subject we were debating?

It's about the inflated prices of players in the transfer market. Not about how clubs balance the books after the transfer for FFP. This point was purely about the spiraling costs and over inflation of players in the transfer market

But it is this inflating of prices; for 2 fullbacks and a centre half; that has led to City breaching FFP rules to "fund" said spending. So, the two are linked. I will just say again I am no fan of FFP but City, and others, have signed up to it. If the original UEFA judgement stands prices will correct themselves.

Mr Bo J, I would look to Spain for the source of your current woes. Arsenal and Man Utd are no longer fixtures in the Champions League. That conspiracy theory you have is a dead duck IMO.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, champers said:

But it is this inflating of prices; for 2 fullbacks and a centre half; that has led to City breaching FFP rules to "fund" said spending. So, the two are linked.

Souring prices of players in the transfer market started way before FFP was even thought of and have continued to sour at a greater pace after the introduction of FFP. So the 2 are not linked in my opinion. Whether we got found guilty of breaching FFP because of what we paid for players is irrelevant to the market as a whole. Do you think the ridiculous costs of Neymar and Mbappe to PSG are City's fault as well?

What exactly are you condemning City for Champs, that all the other big clubs are innocent of? I'd really love to know why you blame City alone, but not PSG, Barca, United etc etc

5 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

IMHO UEFA have half azzed tried to solve half of a problem.

There needs to be a cap on player earnings per year.....and I don't mean seven shillings and sixpence.

Players earning 500k a week while season tickets hit 2.5k quid a year for working class fans is just around the corner.

When people ask where has the atmosphere gone its those genuine fans being squeezed out in favour of football tourism.

Buck stops with the clubs and their silly money player deals....truly obscene.

You'll get no argument from me on that one bud.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Souring prices of players in the transfer market started way before FFP was even thought of and have continued to sour at a greater pace after the introduction of FFP. So the 2 are not linked in my opinion. Whether we got found guilty of breaching FFP because of what we paid for players is irrelevant to the market as a whole. 

What you spent in the transfer market appears to have left you unable to balance the books (to satisfy FFP rules) legally. 

How hard is that to understand? That is the link between what you've been charged with and the transfer market. 

Edited by RickG16

10 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

What you spent in the transfer market appears to have left you unable to balance the books (to satisfy FFP rules) legally. 

How hard is that to understand? That is the link between what you've been charged with and the transfer market

I know for God's sake. I know that. I already said above that this debate wasn't about how much a player costs and how you balance the books to achieve FFP. The response I was making was purely to the point that Champers made in his original posts below.

On 3/2/2020 at 9:18 AM, champers said:

How on earth are you going to get shot of Stones? City have over inflated the transfer market by paying silly money for him and Mendy & Walker. It ends up with Harry Maguire costing £80 mill. 

Forget FFP for a minute and tell me how City alone are responsible for an inflated transfer market. That is the sole point of my responses.

I have no problem on having separate debate of the inflated transfer market and the effects it has on FFP or on the fans. i.e. on the points ronnie made above. But this point is purely about Champers blaming City for the inflated transfer market

M/City ever since the Tea Towels  took over 

have been the leaders of the EPL  T/F market   to their present status .

Certainly can  remember C/sea.s Capt John Terry being one of their first big target signings .and has continued ever since. and when caught with their pants down 

Oh!!! we are not Guilty !!!

Edited by deej
  • Haha 1

Take a look at the progression of the British Transfer Fee record and City barely feature - whereas ManU broke the record and pushed it upwards MANY times increasing the market fees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progression_of_the_British_football_transfer_fee_record

Domestically, the English club who bought a player for the record fee is...drum roll...ManU for Pogba at 89M quid.

I believe recently ManU broke the record domestically; for Maguire, most expensive British defender isn't he.

Glass houses Ricky...

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Take a look at the progression of the British Transfer Fee record and City barely feature - whereas ManU broke the record and pushed it upwards MANY times increasing the market fees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progression_of_the_British_football_transfer_fee_record

Domestically, the English club who bought a player for the record fee is...drum roll...ManU for Pogba at 89M quid.

I believe recently ManU broke the record domestically; for Maguire, most expensive British defender isn't he.

Glass houses Ricky...

There is inflation and then there's hyperinflation.

We paid our top stars top money back then, sure. What City changed was buying a squad with two players in every position who were all on big big money. This isn't just about transfer fees, it's about wages too. All comes under 'football spend', going back to FFP. 

5 hours ago, RickG16 said:

There is inflation and then there's hyperinflation.

We paid our top stars top money back then, sure. What City changed was buying a squad with two players in every position who were all on big big money. This isn't just about transfer fees, it's about wages too. All comes under 'football spend', going back to FFP. 

Oh so it was ok for you to inflate the market "back then" - back then...Pogba and Maguire are in the past couple of years NOT back then - yet you accuse City! Glass houses mate.

What's this squad with two players in every position myth? We've had one central midfield player in Fernandinho for several seasons until this, we've had just 2 forwards in Aguero and Jesus for several seasons when most clubs have more, etc. That's just newspaper talk, but what if we had 2 alternatives, didn't Rednose's great teams also have at least 2 alternatives in every position? Glass houses mate.

For many years now not only has City the club and City’s owners been under a constant attack and/or a barrage of negativity from the media and fans of other clubs on social media, but these days City’s fans are also increasingly being verbally attacked. This came to a head with the Guardian’s nonsense article last week ‘Manchester City fans left unhappy by curse of constantly winning trophies’ by Johnathon Wilson – what a load of nonsense!

Well a group of City fans have started fighting back the journos on social media.

City’s historian Dr. Gary James has written this lovely riposte to them.

Dr Gary James on Twitter: "A few thoughts that might be of interest to MCFC fans or those who want to understand us.

https://twitter.com/GaryJamesWriter/status/1234483838371450880

Here’s some highlights:

image.png.c94c99ab73c81be492b52781719ec67b.png

image.png.3539918a8adb0bd6f4ba50ca7a1572c3.png

image.png.d2240ad2a1f0413e3efaa2528d85b9de.png

Liverpool vs Monaco attendance 33,517

ManU vs Torpedo Moscow (Neville's debut) attendance 19,998!!!

It's worth a read!

Edited by Bredbury Blue
  • Like 1