The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

47 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Days later and I'm still amazed by Foden killing it dead on his outstep

I know. I was also in aww at the time. I must say that although I'll miss David SIlva and he will be a great loss, the good to come out of it will be Foden getting more game time and showing us more of what he has learnt from the magician

• Like 1

Funnily enough, after our recent debate on City inflating the transfer market. This was in the Manchester Evening News

Here's a snippet but I suggest Rick and Champers have a read before slinging mud at City again ???? In fact. This very article was written in response to Woodward opening his gob about FFP 

Is there another industry on the planet that approves of debt but clamps down on strong owner investment?

Suddenly, the threat is not clubs over-stretching in their pursuit of success and the riches it brings.

No, the real is portrayed as the limitless pockets of owners like City’s Sheikh Mansour, or Paris St Germain’s Nasser El Khalaifi.

They have been forcing everyone else to spend money they did not have, goes the spurious argument - it simply is not fair, they say.

That conveniently ignores the fact that big spending was not invented by City or PSG – United, Real Madrid and Barcelona have been at the forefront of that vice for years.

A £50million signing whose fee was raised by flogging United duvet covers in Thailand is no more or less inflationary than one whose cost is funded by a beneficial owner.

United have broken the British transfer record more times than any other club. City have never broken that particular record.

Liverpool have the second highest transfer spend in a calendar year, behind Barcelona. City trail in third.

City also have no signings in the top 23 of the most expensive transfer fees, while United have four, Liverpool one, Barcelona four and Real Madrid five.

Indeed, it seems the clubs which actually ARE inflating transfer fees, and driving would-be competitors to match their efforts, are those who have always done so – Europe’s traditional elite.

Therein surely lies the true purpose of FFP, whichever way Woodward and the rest of the traditional powerbase cut it up.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-utd-ffp-woodward-city-17853062

46 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

slinging mud at City again ???? 

There really is no need to sling mud at City. You are hardly visible right now.

MEN is a joke these days anyway..... can't see any hard facts in there or anything new. BB could have done a more thorough job researching tbh.

And my point was more about high wages and transfer fees throughout a whole squad, which set the ball rolling for average Joes being paid 100k a week. The top stars will always command massive transfer fees / wages.

Edited by RickG16

3 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Yeah, thought it would be ????

Mate really, it's full of spelling mistakes and is Click Bait Central these days. The days of David Meek and Stuart Matheson are long gone ????

Mr Boj I am sure it's the same in the industry, you work in but when you work in sports media you realise that the people who write for sites like the MEN are just 20 somethings who have watched far less football than you or me, and have done a bit of research on Google.

You didn't include the writer's name anyway? But I would be surprised if it's a journalist I think is worth listening to.

2 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Didn't think I'd need to if you read the article. That's why I posted the link

Well it's an opinion piece by Stuart Brennan, who I'm sure we both know is the 'City guy' at the MEN. He might have the inside track on transfers etc but I'm not about to listen to his views on things.

I did enjoy the line about "flogging duvet covers in Thailand" though so fair play.

But that brings us back to another home truth doesn't it... we graft for our money and earn millions tanks to a slick international commercial operation, while yours gets / got pumped in. All coming crashing down though now. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

. we graft for our money and earn millions tanks to a slick international commercial operation, while yours gets / got pumped in. All coming crashing down though now. 

As the article says "It was interesting that Woodwards comments came as United announced that their net debt had climbed by £73.6million in the second half of last year, with their gross debt sitting at a whopping £492million." That's what leveraged buy out's do for you

I don't deny that our owner invested heavily but we have been standing on our own two feet and showing profit for a few years now. In other words, we are grafting for our money

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RickG16 said:

when you work in sports media you realise that the people who write for sites like the MEN are just 20 somethings who have watched far less football than you or me, and have done a bit of research on Google.

20 something Stuart Brennan 555

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

HT 0 v 0 City
Dull. Should have stayed in bed. Poor performance. All City but created nothing. Wouldn't be surprised if they get 1 chance 1 goal. Yawn

Stepped up second half, dominated position again and created shed loads more chances than the first half but far from shouting from the roof tops. Better play much better on sunday

8 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Aguero now second on the all-time list of goal scorers to have played for one of Manchester City or Manchester United. He trails Denis Law by 21, who scored 38 goals for City and 237 times for United.

ESTTIsxXYAE8MLS.jpeg

Highest ever scorer from two clubs... desperately searching for a trophy UEFA can't strip you of. 

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Aguero now second on the all-time list of goal scorers to have played for one of Manchester City or Manchester United. He trails Denis Law by 21, who scored 38 goals for City and 237 times for United.

ESTTIsxXYAE8MLS.jpeg

*Shearer: 171 / 130 / 1.315

(*Blackburn only)

Aguero: PL 367 Goals 254 Rate 1.448

Law: PL 511 284 Rate 1.799

Rooney: PL 559 Goals 253 Rate 2.209

2 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

No DeBruyne in the squad. Still injured ????

Foden to start

You are obviously favourites. Hoping we can come away with something. If Bruno has a blinder you never know. 

42 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

No DeBruyne in the squad. Still injured ????

Foden to start

Nice to see Foden but a pity about KDB. This has to be the biggest game Foden has started for City.