The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, jellydog said:

Nice to see Foden but a pity about KDB. This has to be the biggest game Foden has started for City.

Fo... who? Couldn't spot him anywhere.

Meanwhile the young British legion; Williams, James, AWB etc doing great. 

5-2 ... British players on the pitch that is. 

6 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Well done on winning the beating City twice in a season for a decade trophy

Sorry to disappoint but to me the fact it's City doesn't mean a great deal... beating a very good side with a very good performance is the most pleasing thing. 

Stood there with his little designer scarf being blown about in the Manchester wind and rain.... poor Pep. Must feel a bit like a 2 year prison sentence he's got now. Of course he can't go, because it would look like jumping ship.

I doubt he will show that though... and next season without European football you might be even more of a force to be reckoned with.

7 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Sorry to disappoint but to me the fact it's City doesn't mean a great deal... 

Sorry to also disappoint but Pep said before the game how little this game meant when asked about DeBruyne. He said we have 2 very important games coming up against RM and Newcastle and he doesn't want to risk players

Just now, mrbojangles said:

Sorry to also disappoint but Pep said before the game how little this game meant when asked about DeBruyne. He said we have 2 very important games coming up against RM and Newcastle and he doesn't want to risk players

And we were missing Rashford, Pogba and McTominay from the starting line up. 

14 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

If the new United way is to only have under 28% possession at home, i don't think it will be long lived and this result is papering over some big cracks

That's all you can really do against well drilled tiki taka.

We should all know possession stats are a fallacy. We created far more chances than you. You can pass it about among yourselves for a bit without creating any chances.... well done! 

AWB had Sterling in his pocket.... again!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

If the new United way is to only have under 28% possession at home, i don't think it will be long lived and this result is papering over some big cracks

Gawd I love football sometimes!!

53 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Indeed, but morale-wise they look much better. I'd bet having Pogba AWOL has done wonders for that squad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jellydog said:

Indeed, but morale-wise they look much better. I'd bet having Pogba AWOL has done wonders for that squad.

Be surprised if he plays another game for them. Clearly without him they are more of a team.  They have a new hero now, he’s surplus. 
City need to pick themselves up for the bigger challenges ahead. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Fo... who? Couldn't spot him anywhere.

Meanwhile the young British legion; Williams, James, AWB etc doing great. 

5-2 ... British players on the pitch that is. 

Not quite true. And not quite sure why you are getting in to Foden; if you can't recognise his talent up to you. 

Our right side wasn't effective until Mahrez came on, and when Foden moved inside he was very decent.

Williams did ok until he had his blood twisted by Mahrez so had to go off. Taffy was ok only. Wan-B was excellent.

Thought Pep started with a weaker team than we ended with, and he must take some blame for a flat performance first half. Nothing was coming down the right (Cancelo, Bernardo and Foden repeatedly playing in each other’s space) and not much down the left.

Thought we were the better team up to the goal and then ManU were the best team until HT.

2nd half I was happy with our performance but once again we didn’t take out chances (what has happened to Sterling’s finishing – it’s awful) and struggled not for the first time this season to breakdown a 5-man defence.

Bit like the Real Madrid game, once Pep stopped messing about and put players in their best positions we started playing well (from Jesus and Mahrez coming on, Foden moving inside).

Reckon that was ManU’s best ‘team’ performance of the 4 games this season; Martial and Wan-B caught my eye.

A close game settled by goalkeeping brainfarts. Told you we should have started Bravo! ????

7 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Stood there with his little designer scarf being blown about in the Manchester wind and rain.... poor Pep. Must feel a bit like a 2 year prison sentence he's got now. Of course he can't go, because it would look like jumping ship.

I doubt he will show that though... and next season without European football you might be even more of a force to be reckoned with.

And ManU fans used to call us the Bitters!

That was Ederson's worst performance for City by a long way and cost us the game.

Should have stopped the first, almost gifted Martial a goal by messing about with passing it around, and put it on a plate for McTommyiwhatty. What was going on in his world.

1 hour ago, champers said:

Why persist with pitting Sterling against Wan Bissaka? Looks one of the best defenders around.

The question really should be: Why do we keep persisting with Sterling on the left where he is less effective? He's our best wide player (with Sane out) so put him in his best position right side and stick a leftfooter left side. I don't like inverted wingers at all and against a 5 man defence you've got to go round the outside which needs a natural footer on that side. Simple stuff.

(Ps. Pellegrini nearly ruined Sterling playing him leftside)

Edited by Bredbury Blue

2 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

That was Ederson's worst performance for City by a long way and cost us the game.

Should have stopped the first, almost gifted Martial a goal by messing about with passing it around, and put it on a plate for McTommyiwhatty. What was going on in his world.

Mitigating circumstances for both. The first one was a move you rarely see, and because Martial hit it first time I think it came as a surprise. Still a mistake but  that should be noted. The second was in the dying seconds of the game when he was desperately trying to redistribute the ball quickly. Mistakes can happen in that situation. 

1 minute ago, RickG16 said:

Mitigating circumstances for both. The first one was a move you rarely see, and because Martial hit it first time I think it came as a surprise. Still a mistake but  that should be noted. The second was in the dying seconds of the game when he was desperately trying to redistribute the ball quickly. Mistakes can happen in that situation. 

We can forget the 2nd on in the last seconds for the reason you state, but he let the first one through his hands and should have stopped it, he was extremely lucky to recover his mistake from Martial and he was generally dodgy all game...honestly the worst I've seen him.

3 hours ago, RickG16 said:

because Martial hit it first time I think it came as a surprise. Still a mistake but  that should be noted.

Was a terrible idea to give Aguero the job of marking Martial. Was left for dead!