The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

5 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Childish response. I expect better from you

That's what it comes down to. It is their competition, and you seem to have a major problem with them. So there's one simple solution to that. 

34 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Again... what are you suggesting? That no current UEFA committee member should have ongoing affiliations with member clubs 

Exactly what I'm suggesting. You want one job, then resign from the other. Unless all clubs get some sort of representation. Otherwise there is absolutely no doubt that a conflict of interest is present.

What if United got in trouble with UEFA? Where would his loyalties lie? Nobody should put or be put in that position

31 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Exactly what I'm suggesting. You want one job, then resign from the other. Unless all clubs get some sort of representation. Otherwise there is absolutely no doubt that a conflict of interest is present.

What if United got in trouble with UEFA? Where would his loyalties lie? Nobody should put or be put in that position

Not realistic, and not effective. You need the movers and shakers involved with these committees to actually get things done. And without people actively involved with clubs you lose a important perspective. 

12 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Not realistic, and not effective. You need the movers and shakers involved with these committees to actually get things done. And without people actively involved with clubs you lose a important perspective. 

How many of the other members are still affiliated with other clubs? And who

And by the way... a director doesn't mean too much in terms of day to day running of the club. SBC and SAF are both directors too I believe.

Even if Gill wasn't a director with us, he will always be affiliated with Man United, so your conflict of interest point would still apply wouldn't it?..... And pretty much everyone on the committees would be affiliated to one club or another, whether they are active there or not. 

Edited by RickG16

3 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Not sure.. maybe you can let me know? Could be a little job for @Bredbury Blue tomorrow. 

Hang on. You said it's unrealistic and not realistic but in reality you don't know if it is or isn't as you don't actually know if any of the others are still holding down other jobs. I know Ceferin isn't, as he gave up the Slovenia presidency for the UEFA job. So maybe it is realistic after all

1 minute ago, RickG16 said:

Even if Gill wasn't a director with us, he will always be affiliated with Man United, so your conflict of interest point would still apply wouldn't it?.

No it wouldn't. Obviously you don't know what conflict of interest is. He could remain a tad bias but conflict of interest wouldn't be present

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

Hang on. You said it's unrealistic and not realistic but in reality you don't know if it is or isn't as you don't actually know if any of the others are still holding down other jobs. I know Ceferin isn't, as he gave up the Slovenia presidency for the UEFA job. So maybe it is realistic after all

See point above. Whether they are in an active position or not, does that change in your eyes whether Gill would be pro United, or Ceferin would be pro Slovenia.

And he is the President of UEFA... of course that requires a full time position. Working committees are just that... working committees. MPs sit on all sorts of committees, but they don't stop being an MP. 

David Gill worked at United for 15 years, is mates with Fergie, and will always be intrinsically linked to one of the club's most successful periods. You really think if he wanted to lobby against City, the little 'director' title next to his name would make any difference at all? 

People involved in UEFA will be affiliated to different clubs. If you don't like it, leave. 

37 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

See point above. Whether they are in an active position or not, does that change in your eyes whether Gill would be pro United, or Ceferin would be pro Slovenia

When they have 2 paymasters, that right there, is the conflict of interest. If you leave a job and fully move on, then there will still be a love and sentiment etc etc but not a paycheck. People leave jobs and move on all the time. If you can't see the difference between fully leaving a job, to that of remaining and still on the payroll and how that brings conflict of interest into play there's no hope.

10 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

When they have 2 paymasters, that right there, is the conflict of interest. If you leave a job and fully move on, then there will still be a love and sentiment etc etc but not a paycheck. People leave jobs and move on all the time. If you can't see the difference between fully leaving a job, to that of remaining and still on the payroll and how that brings conflict of interest into play there's no hope.

I think in this case paymasters are irrelevant. We can assume Gil has millions and millions in the bank and isn't motivated by money. You might fear he would be biased towards United whether or not he is a director there. That's fine, but like I said, most people who work with UEFA will have some sort of affiliation with a club. 

David Conn's pre-FFP article 

Just how fair is Michel Platini's financial fair-play ruling?

David Conn
David Conn
Uefa's well-intentioned new ruling on club spending may merely serve to help the rich get richer

Wed 25 May 2011 00.05 BSTFirst published on Wed 25 May 2011 00.05 BST

"David Conn of The Guardian wrote this prophetic piece back in May of 2011 talking about potential unintended consequences that FFP could bring. He said, “if clubs are no longer permitted to rely on owners putting money in, then those who make the most income without owners’ help could become even more inevitable winners of the game’s prizes. The second is that clubs will seek to further increase their income, leading to yet more expensive ticket prices, as is happening in England, with rises announced at United, Arsenal and Liverpool.” (bolded sections emphasized by me). In other words, it was possible FFP would only further entrench the rich and powerful clubs, like Barcelona, Manchester United, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, etc.., as the only ones who could realistically win the top trophies because the financial investment needed to catch those clubs was no longer permissible. His latter point on increased ticket prices absolutely came true too."

12 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

None of that matters BB, cos United, Liverpool fans etc are happy that City are being targeted

Personally mate, I don't give a toss. Whatever happens...happens. I don't waste my time worrying about other teams.

• Like 1

No Sunderland thread so I'll post on home ground.

Just finished watching series 1 of Sunderland netflix. Really good, but I found it sad, depressing and I kept hoping they'd catch a break even though I knew the season's outcome. I've always liked Newcastle (their fans were great after defeat in the 74 league cup final which made a lasting impression) and Sunderland, both really big clubs with great support who deserve success. After our ups and downs I know what its like and i really felt for the Sunderland fans.

Anybody else watch it? What do you reckon?

9 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

No Sunderland thread so I'll post on home ground.

Just finished watching series 1 of Sunderland netflix. Really good, but I found it sad, depressing and I kept hoping they'd catch a break even though I knew the season's outcome. I've always liked Newcastle (their fans were great after defeat in the 74 league cup final which made a lasting impression) and Sunderland, both really big clubs with great support who deserve success. After our ups and downs I know what its like and i really felt for the Sunderland fans.

Anybody else watch it? What do you reckon?

I think fans in the North East are the worst. Their sense of entitlement in the first place, based only on the fact that they turn up in numbers (there are only 2 clubs in the area and nowt else to do up there anyway).

Both the Geordies and the Mackems are merciless to owners, managers and players who do not meet their approval. Pardew's treatment at Newcastle is a prime example.

The mass walkouts during games is not my idea of supporting your team but it is a regular occurence at both clubs.

Newcastle have degenerated into a yoyo club and Sunderland are perpetual strugglers. The Premier League would be better without both of them.

21 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Not good enough in this day and age....I think a further 4 year exclusion should be imposed. :laugh:

If he'd had a couple of nuns over for a prayer meeting there would be no big outcry. It's the sex that gets folks on their high horse.:wink:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Meanwhile on the smug we don't furlough our staff thread what are you going to do about Kyle Walker?

If it's ok for the Scottish Chief Medical Officer to break rules.............. Although I doubt she had as good a time as Kyle did ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

If it's ok for the Scottish Chief Medical Officer to break rules.............. Although I doubt she had as good a time as Kyle did ????

Dug yerself a hole now son....and who knows what she gets up to on the beach with her hubby in the moonlight?

A loan to some African side for him....somewhere the birds are nice and chunky!

so,,going back to the 2 year champions lge ban it stands atm... but has a hearing date been set for the appeal , given that there's no live footie to distract.. would have thought they'd have enuf time on their hands to get this concluded asap.

Edited by 3 minus 2