The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

On 4/17/2020 at 8:19 AM, Bredbury Blue said:

That hasn't changed, we did and we continue to produce young talent, the difference between now and 20 years ago is the bar is higher to get in the first team.

Can Paul Dickov reach it or does someone else fetch his drinks?

Edited by champers
  • Haha 2

Saw an interesting show called 1 to 11, where ex players pick the best XI from players they have played with. Steve Wilson does the interviewing and Yaya Toure was on; shown on Skynet. When asked to pick his manager for the team he chose himself and stated his desire to be a manager in reality.

Other guests have included Jason McAteer and Jamie O'Hara.

11 hours ago, wilai said:

Oil prices drop below $1 per barrel!.....Fire sale coming up?????

EWEKnDFWAAQvbNw?format=png&name=small

Get up to speed bud. We have been self sufficient for a few years now. Plus, if memory serves, that chart is WTI prices for the american price and not Brent which our owners are part of. Just saying

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

Get up to speed bud. We have been self sufficient for a few years now. Plus, if memory serves, that chart is WTI prices for the american price and not Brent which our owners are part of. Just saying

So were Virgin Australia.....????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

The reports I've read said they have been trouble and posting losses for several years. Still sad for the employees but Branson will still sleep well on his island

Thought maybe Etihad as partners would have bailed them?....instead of 'bailing'..... As for Branson's island, I believe he is putting it up as collateral against his remaining fleet. Wonder if Harry and Meghan fancy it?????

39 minutes ago, wilai said:

Thought maybe Etihad as partners would have bailed them?....instead of 'bailing'..... As for Branson's island, I believe he is putting it up as collateral against his remaining fleet. Wonder if Harry and Meghan fancy it?????

Don't think any airline is in a strong enough position to bail anyone at the minute mate

• Like 1

Interesting article on the BBC Sport/Football pages about how Emirates Wealth Fund has invested in an obscure Bulgarian club; Berbatov started there before he hit the big time and nearly joined City. They have gone to the UK to recruit key personnel. Warren Feeney is manager, if anyone remembers him. Won a lot of caps for Northern Ireland.

Edited by champers

"On this day in 1974.

At Old Trafford a Denis Law goal for Manchester City before 56,803 ensured a City win in the Manchester derby. Two pitch invasions followed as United fans perceived this to be the goal that relegated the Reds. Over the years that have followed there’s been much debate about the significance of the goal but it’s worth pointing out that while the goal did not specifically relegate United it did kill off all hope of United’s salvation. Pre match United still had a chance of survival and at the time of the goal there was still hope for United. Ultimately, results elsewhere went against United but at the time of the goal no one knew that. After the second pitch invasion the referee took the players off the pitch and kept them in their dressing rooms while he heard the news from the other grounds. Only when he knew for certain that United had no chance of survival did he abandon the game. Had there been a chance of survival then he would have brought the teams out again to finish the match. So mathematically Law’s goal did not relegate United but in terms of the feelings of those present there that day then emotionally it did."

Disgusting scenes. And I was there to enjoy it.

Watch the video right to the end for the final comments, and the sentiment of those times.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

"On this day in 1974.

At Old Trafford a Denis Law goal for Manchester City before 56,803 ensured a City win in the Manchester derby. Two pitch invasions followed as United fans perceived this to be the goal that relegated the Reds. Over the years that have followed there’s been much debate about the significance of the goal but it’s worth pointing out that while the goal did not specifically relegate United it did kill off all hope of United’s salvation. Pre match United still had a chance of survival and at the time of the goal there was still hope for United. Ultimately, results elsewhere went against United but at the time of the goal no one knew that. After the second pitch invasion the referee took the players off the pitch and kept them in their dressing rooms while he heard the news from the other grounds. Only when he knew for certain that United had no chance of survival did he abandon the game. Had there been a chance of survival then he would have brought the teams out again to finish the match. So mathematically Law’s goal did not relegate United but in terms of the feelings of those present there that day then emotionally it did."

Watch the video right to the end for the final comments, and the sentiment of those times.

Thanks, interesting watch.

Considering the scale of crowd troubles in the 70s / 80s, a couple of pitch invasions really isn't all that. 

And having watched those final comments... it seems fencing in the fans turned out to be a flawed solution in later years.

Edited by RickG16

17 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

"On this day in 1974.

What was the reaction in the City end when all this was going on BB?

In those days did the police keep the away fans in for a few minutes after the game while the home fans dispersed? Or did you have to hot foot it back to Stockport? 

3 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

What was the reaction in the City end when all this was going on BB?

In those days did the police keep the away fans in for a few minutes after the game while the home fans dispersed? Or did you have to hot foot it back to Stockport? 

Long time ago and I was young so don't remember all. I was with a City mate. We were in the stand where the camera was, at the front on the left, adjacent to the Stretford End. I don't remember if I was in with City fans or United, or even where the City fans were. Fans were kept in after games. Leaving Old Trafford was no different than any other grounds, be careful, but was probably easier as we all had similar accents back then (apart from.the cockney reds of course). Liverpool and Everton were the worst grounds to visit - probably still are. Aside from remembering the goal, my biggest memory was getting out the ground with no problem, queuing for the 53 bus back to Belle Vue (for the train to Bredbury) and a United fan I know spotting me just as I was getting on the bus and letting everyone know I was a Blue, what a <deleted> - I was alright though.

• Like 1

Reminded me of a night game at Goodison. With same school mate. Guess we were 14. Mistakenly - we didn't know better - we went in the Park End Stand (later became the away end I believe) with the home fans. Didn't take long for us to be sussed and threatened. Luckily a great bunch of older men surrounded us, told the yobs to f off, and even walked us back to the coach park after the game. I've always quite liked Everton  fans after that;-).

When I was about 18, my brother and his mates had some glaswegian mates (both Celtic and Rangers) visiting. Midwinter, City's games and all local games were postponed due to icy pitches, so we went to Everton in the Glyds end with the home supporters. Don't think they could work out what this bunch of non-scousers, who clearly weren't that interested in the game, were going there.

• Like 1

Putting aside our club allegiances, is there anybody else out there that is disgusted and appalled with this move? I mean, why doesn't EUFA just get it over and done with and pick the 32 clubs it wants in its Champions League? This kind of <deleted>, FFP, clubs like Bury and Rhyl not being assisted or saved, talk of recommencing the season when hundreds are sick or dying, football without fans being present, etc., which is really turning me off football!

Agree? Not agree?

Is this what you want, clubs chosen based on UEFA's domestic club rankings from the period between the 2020/21 and 2023/24 seasons?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fa-report-confirms-champions-league-21939361

FA report confirms Champions League plan that would end Premier League top four race

The new plans would ensure that a club outside its country's top four could only enter the Champions League if they had won the title or reached the semi-finals of the Europa League the previous season

A UEFA plan to limit the amount of clubs able to qualify for the Champions League has been set out in a Football Association report which details the possible end of the Premier League's top four race.

Moves to protect "elite European club revenue streams" are laid out in the FA report, which details the plans that European football's governing body have to expand their continental competitions.

The Premier League has long enjoyed a healthy tussle for the top four places in the division and Champions League qualification.

But such plans - which have long been pushed by Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli - would threaten the competitiveness of the top flight, giving little chance to anyone outside the so-called 'Big Six' of ever sitting at Europe's top table.

The new plans, which would come into force in 2024, state that the 32-team Champions League for the 2024/25 season would be chosen based on UEFA's domestic club rankings from the period between the 2020/21 and 2023/24 seasons - effectively making the tournament a closed shop.

For clubs outside that bracket, entry to future Champions League tournaments would have to come through either winning the Premier League outright, or reaching the semi-finals of a revamped 32-team Europa League.

It is the belief of some clubs that past performance in the Champions League should be placed above domestic results when determining qualifiers for the tournament, with the likes of Roma and Ajax reaching the semi-finals of recent competitions only to miss out on it entirely in future years.

Agnelli cited Roma as an example back in March when he questioned whether it was right for Atalanta to be in this year's competition, “without international history and thanks to just one great season.”

If the plan were to be in place this season then such a move would come as blow to the likes of Leicester, Wolves and Sheffield United, who have been battling it out with the more established sides such as Chelsea, Manchester United and Tottenham for a spot in the top four.

There are also plans for the Europa League to follow a similar pattern from 2024, with new teams able to qualify via league position or finishing in the last four of the new UEFA Conference League.

"The FA continues to work with all stakeholders to reach an acceptable position," the report adds.

• Like 1

I don't believe the FA has the clout to enact this plan; they don't dictate to the EPL. Unless, they are acting at the behest of the bigger clubs, the ones where most of the England squad come from.

Edited by champers

10 hours ago, champers said:

I don't believe the FA has the clout to enact this plan; they don't dictate to the EPL. Unless, they are acting at the behest of the bigger clubs, the ones where most of the England squad come from.

The FA is just REPORTING UEFAs proposed plan.

9 hours ago, RickG16 said:

I agree it's a needless shake up... but calm down it's just a proposal. 

I don't think the FA are supporting it anyway... they are just reporting the plan. 

It's a proposal being reported, but the intent is clear. What right does Atalanta have to be in the CL says it all doesn't it.

7 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

It's a proposal being reported, but the intent is clear. What right does Atalanta have to be in the CL says it all doesn't it.

It's one guy (albeit a very powerful one) from Juve's intent.

I understand your natural instinct is to stand up for the 'little club'. But of course big clubs will also defend their own interests. That's the way of the world. 

Looking at the bigger picture... the important thing is that the champions of each country in Europe gets a shot. How you make up the other places can be done in a number of ways.

56 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

It's one guy (albeit a very powerful one) from Juve's intent.

I understand your natural instinct is to stand up for the 'little club'. But of course big clubs will also defend their own interests. That's the way of the world. 

Looking at the bigger picture... the important thing is that the champions of each country in Europe gets a shot. How you make up the other places can be done in a number of ways.

IF the FA are reporting, it isn't just one guy is it Rick.

Make it simple. League champions and runners-up enter PL. Go back to the original European Cup idea. No favouritism, no rankings.