The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

2 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I don't think we fell apart at any time, but we were better 1st half (we've tailed off 2nd half most games...fitness?).

As we've done for this and last season, we struggled to break down a team set-up defensively for the counter - unfortunately for us, almost all teams bar Liverpool play against us that way - and got hit by quick counters. For the 2nd goal, Mahrez won the ball and hastily tried to get it to Jesus when we would have had a 2v1 on the edge of the box, but Mahrez screwed up his pass and seconds later Edison - he was poor yesterday - was nutmegged. 

Don't know why Pep continues with inverted wingers against low block teams! 

At 1v0 early 2nd half, Torres had stopped being effective left side and it was THEN Pep should have brought on Sterling and Foden for Mahrez and Torres. At 2v0 his substitution were too late.

I knew we had it won when those two came on instead of Aguero...toothless those two not match changers.

2 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Can't believe how proud you are of playing that style at home. 11 men behind the ball and getting the opposition on the break. I can understand the bottom quarter of the Prem playing that submissive style but not Spurs. I much preferred Poch's style. Mourinho will bore you to death

We don't have stats like that every week though mrboj...only when we play your lot.

And win.

6 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

We don't have stats like that every week though mrboj...only when we play your lot.

And win.

How do you think you'll play against Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool? In between those fixtures you also have Crystal Palace. Do you reckon Moureen will be brave in that one or set up like the Alamo again!!

18 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

How do you think you'll play against Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool? In between those fixtures you also have Crystal Palace. Do you reckon Moureen will be brave in that one or set up like the Alamo again!!

What do you suggest go and beat you at your own game... Our goal difference tells the real  story.. teams are built for specifics and yours is built for possession football from the keeper to the front..your trouble is theres  little or no plan b. Winning or losing   Just more of the same,     ours is structured strong at the bac with pace and power up front with the option to change down the flanks and in the midfield So in answer to your question... Jose will change it to suit the situation att. Last time Frank junior out tacticed Jose flooded the midfield and drew our holders out and we paid the price.  Can't see Jose letting that happen again.. but then when you lose its NEVER part of the plan.. if Jose's team. As pep said,  gets the first goal they're very difficult to beat 

I can't say we're playing badly this season, but for some reason it just isn't clicking for us.

I'm generally happy with our back 4, Walker is in good form, Dias continues to look solid. 

Ederson has been decent this season but was poor and at fault vs Spurs.

It's got to be the midfield 3 - the combination doesn't seem right - and im hating the inverted wingers.

A leggy last season for Silva last season and no Silva this season and we seem devoid of ideas up front.

I'd be starting Foden every game for starters. Maybe give it a go without Rodri - give Gundog a run out there. We have the players but Pep needs to find the system to best use them. 

Think what we're finding, is just how do you replace Yaya, Kompany, Silva and Aguero? Answer: you can't!

16 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

What do you suggest go and beat you at your own game... Our goal difference tells the real  story.. teams are built for specifics and yours is built for possession football from the keeper to the front..your trouble is theres  little or no plan b. Winning or losing   Just more of the same,     ours is structured strong at the bac with pace and power up front with the option to change down the flanks and in the midfield So in answer to your question... Jose will change it to suit the situation att. Last time Frank junior out tacticed Jose flooded the midfield and drew our holders out and we paid the price.  Can't see Jose letting that happen again.. but then when you lose its NEVER part of the plan.. if Jose's team. As pep said,  gets the first goal they're very difficult to beat 

Read the first sentence only and agree with that. Mourinho played to his strengths and did it really well - the early goal (brilliant from Ntom....) was immense for your game plan.

It could be you are the new Leicester - solid team with pacy player up front (Son = Vardy), keep it tight, play it for speedy to run on and finish.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

2 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

They are resentful that there is a clear blueprint to beat them. 

I wouldn't say we are resentful, that's not the correct word, probably irritating is closer. We probably want teams to go toe to toe with us, like Liverpool, but teams have now worked out it is better to park the bus and hope they convert the chance(s) that come along. I understand the other team's perspective, but it makes for dull and frustrating football for us.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I wouldn't say we are resentful, that's not the correct word, probably irritating is closer. We probably want teams to go toe to toe with us, like Liverpool, but teams have now worked out it is better to park the bus and hope they convert the chance(s) that come along. I understand the other team's perspective, but it makes for dull and frustrating football for us.

It’s probably got to the point where their over riding desire to win a trophy is strong enough to ignore how dull it is on occasions, which is understandable. 

You cant accuse them of playing like that regularly, obviously on a case by case basis. They know if they go toe to toe you will hurt them. Other weaker teams like United they have butchered playing expansive football. 

20 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I know how you set up against us and it worked. That's over and done with. I was asking how you are going to set up for the next 4 PL fixtures

And I went on to explain  it depends on the opposition.. but yeah the same  that's the structure he's built/sorted.   but with  some flexibilty.   as I said prev' flexibilty will be needed  the chavs are a more dificult proposition than yourselves they have a number of midfield and striking formations... so I expect he'll start as per and adapt. Last time they took us apart b4 Jose adapted . 

But if teams sit back there's enuf guile about ndombele  kane son and bale lucus or bergy.  To unlock most solid defences and with moussa and hje lookin solid and FINALLY givin our wing  Bacs sufficient cover to safely get up the park... all at the mo looks sorted. But the best laid plans.......so  to be clear,  yeah more of the same.but with an eye to adapt or  change.

24 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Trying to put a neutral hat on.. I HONESTLY don't think anyone found yesterday's game dull or boring. It was a great spectacle...

24 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

It' nothing to do with dull, you are getting frustrated cos you are getting found out. 

You should be prepared to shut up shop sometimes if it means getting the win.

Take Sachin Tendulkar, arguably the greatest player of a cover drive in history. In a test series vs Australia (maybe 2010?) he was repeatedly getting found out outside off stump. So he had the discipline to put one of his favourite shots away entirely, and made a vital 100 playing virtually no shots on the off side. He realised that he needed to adapt, even if it meant changing what made him such an attractive batsman to watch. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Against Liverpool quite likely as they like space to run into....the rest will be toe to toe stuff...tactical sense based on the teams we face but much nowadays depends upon who is available.

Whatever way we play we know we have a manager who will set up to win...and the chavs will definitely understand that.

Difference with our side is we have two of the finest forward players in the world.

Oh and Bale.

7 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Against Liverpool quite likely as they like space to run into....the rest will be toe to toe stuff...tactical sense based on the teams we face but much nowadays depends upon who is available.

Whatever way we play we know we have a manager who will set up to win...and the chavs will definitely understand that.

Difference with our side is we have two of the finest forward players in the world.

Oh and Bale.

Like I said a couple of weeks ago, you are shaping up very well. And you probably couldn't ask for a better manager, considering most of your players don't have title winning experience

But fair play to Jose, he mentioned in the post match press conference that this hasn't happened overnight (or even in Jose's reign), a lot of it is down to what Pochettino put in place.

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

They are resentful that there is a clear blueprint to beat them. 

The blueprint has been in clear sight since the day Pep joined us. It's just for it to work, your defending has to be absolutely flawless and everyone working in unison. There can be nothing less than 100% concentration or we'll get through. Spurs did that yesterday but not many will. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

The blueprint has been in clear sight since the day Pep joined us. It's just for it to work, your defending has to be absolutely flawless and everyone working in unison. There can be nothing less than 100% concentration or we'll get through. Spurs did that yesterday but not many will. 

I take your point, and you also need the legs to get up the pitch and quickly as possible when you get the ball back. Teams who can will punish the gaps you leave at the back. Once they've scored it's an uphill task. 

City haven't become a bad team overnight, can't ignore the fact that Sterling and Aguero weren't playing. You are just in danger of becoming as much as a one trick pony as a Stoke, albeit it that one trick can be tremendously effective. You could do with some different modes of playing. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

AND arguably most importantly you need to be scorin.. something your forwards this season are are struggling with 

2 hours ago, 3 minus 2 said:

And I went on to explain  it depends on the opposition.. but yeah the same  that's the structure he's built/sorted.   but with  some flexibilty.   as I said prev' flexibilty will be needed  the chavs are a more dificult proposition than yourselves they have a number of midfield and striking formations... so I expect he'll start as per and adapt. Last time they took us apart b4 Jose adapted . 

But if teams sit back there's enuf guile about ndombele  kane son and bale lucus or bergy.  To unlock most solid defences and with moussa and hje lookin solid and FINALLY givin our wing  Bacs sufficient cover to safely get up the park... all at the mo looks sorted. But the best laid plans.......so  to be clear,  yeah more of the same.but with an eye to adapt or  change.

Sorry but as your English is shocking, I honestly give up reading your posts after a few words.

2 hours ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Trying to put a neutral hat on.. I HONESTLY don't think anyone found yesterday's game dull or boring. It was a great spectacle...

I would agree with you about yesterday's game, but try putting a City hat on and seeing teams defend deep every game...frustrating...boring...yawn.

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

It' nothing to do with dull, you are getting frustrated cos you are getting found out. 

You should be prepared to shut up shop sometimes if it means getting the win.

Take Sachin Tendulkar, arguably the greatest player of a cover drive in history. In a test series vs Australia (maybe 2010?) he was repeatedly getting found out outside off stump. So he had the discipline to put one of his favourite shots away entirely, and made a vital 100 playing virtually no shots on the off side. He realised that he needed to adapt, even if it meant changing what made him such an attractive batsman to watch. 

I dont think were getting found out, we've been found out Rick. Don't try taking City on, defend in numbers and wait for a chance, as it works, and as I've posted repeatedly, Pep doesn't have an answer for it these past 15 months. Expect to see more deja vu games this season.

I don't disagree with you about being prepared to shut up shop to get a result. If that's all you've got, then do it. Mourinho is an expert at that type of football and I don't knock him for it - his CV says why.

Edited by Bredbury Blue
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I would agree with you about yesterday's game, but try putting a City hat on and seeing teams defend deep every game...frustrating...boring...yawn.

And..EVERY team in the prem have sussed it's easier to improve a defence AND far cheaper.  and honestly I find city games boring to watch  the tippy tappy relentless high press cuts the game in half.. imo  ruins spectacle..

15 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Just thinkin about yesterday

A Target man wouldn't have been a be a bad option.  But don't suppose that's in peps play  book ..

By 'target man' I assume you mean the big man up front.

Trying to think of the last player we had as a 'target man'. Dzeko maybe. Shipped out too early. Greatly loved by the fans. Some are currently crying out for bringing him back.

2 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

And..EVERY team in the prem have sussed it's easier to improve a defence AND far cheaper.  and honestly I find city games boring to watch  the tippy tappy relentless high press cuts the game in half.. imo  ruins spectacle..

Do yourself a favour and don't watch City, stick to your Mourinho-ball.