BANGKOK
Jonathan Fairfield

The official Manchester City thread 2019

Manchester Evening News today has published an article on Foden's progress compared to David Silva's and to KDB's. Though obviously very talented as a goalscoring midfield, it's of course debatable whether Foden will ever become anywhere as good as either of those two.

Some extracts below from the article, which illustrates Foden is on the right track and progressing as well or better than the players he hopes to replace:

"Foden is trying to break into one of the top five teams on the planet, not making his way at Watford or Bournemouth.

That means trying to displace 125-cap Spain international David Silva or Kevin De Bruyne, one of the best players in the world.

So exactly where is Foden, aged 19 years and 139 days old, compared to the two legends with whom he is competing, Silva and De Bruyne?

When Silva was that age, he had been farmed out on loan to Eibar in the Spanish second division – partly because he was not good enough, and partly because he was not big enough, to make the Valencia first team.

He had not made a single top-flight appearance, while Foden has already got 15 starts and 25 substitute appearances tucked under his belt.

It would be another 18 months before Silva was to earn his first international cap.

From the comments made by Southgate and others in the England camp, Foden may well have a handful of caps by the time he reaches the same age as Silva was for his international debut.

De Bruyne is another case in point.

At Foden’s age, De Bruyne had made 20 league starts and 16 as substitute for Genk, in the Belgian top flight.

That is more starts, but four appearances less in total – and that in a league which cannot compare with the Premier League, and for a club with none of City’s wealth and power.

In terms of internationals, De Bruyne picked up his first Belgium cap relatively early – he was 19 years and 44 days old when he was given a half in friendly against Finland.

But he did not play for them again for another 15 months, and played his first full game for the Red Devils when he was 21 years and 110 days.

Foden still has nearly two years to beat that particular mark, and given that he is expected to step up his City minutes this season, and is earmarked to step into Silva’s boots when Merlin retires next summer, that is almost a given.

A given, that is, as long as Foden keeps listening to Guardiola and not the howls of the impatience from outside the camp."

Rodri and Fernandinho at centreback?:blink:

14 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Well, maybe not quite. Three in the back with Fernandinho in the middle.

Sporting the wonderful popsicle stick kit today.:glare:

17 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Pep had to come up with something to dump Otamendi I suppose

Let's just hope it's a genius move

12 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Struth that’s an awful kit. 

They way way this has started I’m going 4-0

11 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Well, maybe not quite. Three in the back with Fernandinho in the middle.

I'm thinking that might be the worst kit I have ever seen (and there is plenty of competition).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jellydog said:

I'm thinking that might be the worst kit I have ever seen (and there is plenty of competition).

I thought the same at first but Its actually quite nice in real life TBH.

4 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

You're not in London are you MrB?

City looking very frisky today!!

9 minutes ago, jellydog said:

You're not in London are you MrB?

No bud. I'll be going back in a couple/few weeks. Just trying to make sure my business meeting coincide with a City match 😉

That's more like it. City on the front foot today and convincing. Could have been 4 or 5-0, but Ederson made some nice saves as well. On today's performance I'd prefer Cancelo at right back rather than Walker. Just no comparison between the two as regards attacking talent. Looks like the back 3 worked today. It'll be interesting to see if Pep has a back three in mind from here on out.

47 minutes ago, jellydog said:

That's more like it. City on the front foot today and convincing. Could have been 4 or 5-0, but Ederson made some nice saves as well. On today's performance I'd prefer Cancelo at right back rather than Walker. Just no comparison between the two as regards attacking talent. Looks like the back 3 worked today. It'll be interesting to see if Pep has a back three in mind from here on out.

Agree with that mate.

I think Pep showed again how he can think outside the box putting together that back line. Happy with Mendy's contribution today as well. As for Ederson. He's showing that if not the best, he's one of the best goalies in the prem. Saves, positioning, calmness under pressure and distribution are top drawer.

Sterling's little dink over the top for Silva's goal was sublime but he let himself down with his finishing several times today. Jesus also not squaring it to KdB for a simple tap in was a tad infuriating but I maybe over critical. All in all, happy with the result

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

One only us colour-blind folk love (and i LUV it!).

Screenshot_2019-09-29-12-01-31.png

Screenshot_2019-09-29-12-01-41.png

Screenshot_2019-09-29-12-03-10.png

What a cracking  game, really enjoyed  it. 

Feared the worst when i saw our centreback-less team (longterm injury Laporte, Otamendi injured, Walker sick for 2 weeks - not sure i believe that - and Stones just coming back from injury) plus newbie Cancelo and serial crock Mendy but we played really really well, should have scored alot more (ex-blue & Terry Hennessey's relo was excellent and kept them alive) but how important  were Ederson's awesome saves.

Ederson had to be our MOM for his 2 saves.

Cancelo looks a footballer, right or left, and with Walker we should be back to the days of Micah and Zaba competiting and pushing  each other.

Thought Mendy had a very decent game considering how he rarely plays.

Fernandinho was excellent and the pick of the defenders (had a funny 5 minutes though after the bang  on the head)

Rodri did well in his first ever CB game, but he got lucky at times.

Gundogan kept things ticking over but nothing too exiting. 

KdB. Is it only me that thinks he's too unfit to play a 90 minutes properly. Does some wonderful things but runs out of steam, can't tackle, can't  head it.

Brilliant finish  from Silva to be possibly my favourite goal this season - fantasy football that 2nd goal. Couldn't understand why he took Silva off who was causing  them loads of problems  and left on a tiring KDB.

Bernardo was tidy and had a good battle with van Anholt (spelling); better from him than of late; excellent cross for the first and almost scored himself. 

Jesus was excellent all game. Busy, effective and deserved his goal.

Sterling. One minute brilliant  next minute clown. Brilliant dinked pass for the 2nd but how did he miss his chance. Always involved though.

If Jesus had passed to KdB we'd have put it to bed early and not had to rely  on Ederson's brilliance.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

18 wins in a row still the record.:clap2:

• Like 1