BANGKOK
Jonathan Fairfield

The official Manchester City thread 2019

38 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Bladdy hell. Now Rodri out with a hammy

I reckon we'll see Fernandinho back as a DM and Stones/Otamendi getting more time. Hopefully Rodri won't miss much time!

5-1. Sterling with a hat trick. 69 minutes in.

When did Stones get that shiner? Nice one.

Well, it's nice to see that after the w/e's games the EPL is now City's to lose. First time since nearly the start. 

Just have to keep an eye on that goal difference and beat Liverpool away (10th Nov) and home (4th April) and it's the hat-trick. No need to thrash teams; just 3 goals a game will do it.

City should win the last 6 games (after the red game) comfortably enough.

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Well, it's nice to see that after the w/e's games the EPL is now City's to lose. First time since nearly the start. 

Just have to keep an eye on that goal difference and beat Liverpool away (10th Nov) and home (4th April) and it's the hat-trick. No need to thrash teams; just 3 goals a game will do it.

City should win the last 6 games (after the red game) comfortably enough.

You need to look at the games played against who and when also. 

Liverpool will have played 4 of the supposed top 6 (and Leicester who are looking decent) by next week and at the moment only dropped 2 points.  City have only played Spurs and drew and the rest have been bottom half clubs. 

City still need to play 11 games of the top 6 (including Leicester) from Nov to March, 4 of those are away matches in the NY. This is also around big matches in the CL. 

• Like 1

We started the game badly, we were flat, couldn't string passes together, looked like a team of strangers and they were the better team. Wasn't surprised when they opened the scoring but didn't expect it to be through a penalty. We only seemed to come awake after they scored, and after we levelled they fell apart as we (Sterling) cut through them.

- Ederson excellent  again.

- Wasn't impressed by Walker or Mendy, probably affected by playing in a new back 4 and the tactic of transitioning from a 4 to a 3 when Rodri moved forward  in to midfield and they dropped back.

- Gundogan was excellent: the pace of european football suits him more than any other City player.

- KdB frustrated me. Seems a bit one dimensional at times (early cross every time). Bit soft. Moans too much. Wasn't surprised when he was subbed. Hoping he's  not becoming  a prima donna.

- Foden impressed me. One of his best games. Didn't think his indiscretions deserved 2 yellows, but if they did then why wasn't the ref consistent and why didn't  he book others for similar minor fouls?

- Mahrez ineffective first half but once the game opened up contributed to 2 goals and looked very comfortable.

- Aguero scored 2 should have had more. Quietly effective.

- Sterling = UNPLAYABLE by their defence, cut through them time and time again and should have scored 4.

<deleted> off to see Rodri, who I'm loving  watching, probably out with a hammie for a month, along with Zinchenko with a knee injury. Having our share of injury-knack but are doing a decent job of getting through it.

10 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

You need to look at the games played against who and when also. 

Liverpool will have played 4 of the supposed top 6 (and Leicester who are looking decent) by next week and at the moment only dropped 2 points.  City have only played Spurs and drew and the rest have been bottom half clubs. 

City still need to play 11 games of the top 6 (including Leicester) from Nov to March, 4 of those are away matches in the NY. This is also around big matches in the CL. 

Yes, good points. The Reds are still in the driving seat. The bookies (punters) have Liverpool as favourites; just. Of course The Reds might streak away, but City would have to drop points. I'm pointing out that City could now catch Liverpool; and indeed pass them depending upon goals scored, and assuming they win the two matches.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jellydog said:

When did Stones get that shiner? Nice one.

Picked it up in the game against Palace at the weekend. Think he was only on for 10 minutes

Pep quoted as saying Foden is nowhere near the level of KDB or Gundogan. I am sure that is true regarding KDB and maybe less so regarding Gundogan, but why say that?  I suppose Pep gets tired of the relentless questions about Foden not getting more time, but I'd hope he could refrain from appearing to criticize Foden. I'd like to see Foden get more time but it doesn't look like its going to happen anytime soon.

Phil Foden created four (4)‘big chances’ in the Atalanta match – the most created by any player in Champions League since 2015.

He also completed 36 passes with a 94% accuracy during his 82 minutes on the field.

Team tomorrow will be Ederson, Gundogan, Sterling and 8 others.

Be interesting to see:

- Does Pep trust and play BOTH Stones and Otamendi or one of them with Fernandinho?

- Does Pep play his favourite Gundogan or Fernandinho in Rodri's position?

- Will Mendy start his 3rd game in a week or will Pep start Cancelo (or Angelino)?

Seems that Liverpool play pretty much the same 11 while we chop n change (injuries playing a part); second-guessing Pep's selection is almost impossible.

Phil Foden has been recognised in the latest edition of the Guinness World Records book.

Phil Foden was awarded with the youngest player to ever win the Premier League, at 17 years and 350 days.

In the 2017/18 season, where he achieved the record, he appeared in his fifth game in City’s final game of the season, where they secured 100 points.

I can hear Alfie spitting his dummy. 😀

Zinchenko the latest to undergo a knee operation, in Barcelona. Club haven't announced yet the extent of his injury.

Last I heard Zinchenko out 5-6 weeks and Rodri a few weeks with his hammy. This looks like a season  to be blighted by injuries.:angry: