The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

So what do we think tonight chaps? 

Personally I can't see it playing out any differently than reason derbies tactically. With our speed we are going to let you have the ball and counter attack, but we can't leave you with it too long, especially with your recent form.

I will go 2-2. United on pens. 

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

United on pens. 

Well you've certainly had more practice at taking them than anyone else. So hopefully doesn't go to pens

Don't know what our line up will be yet as don't know how many are still out with Covid. Definitely need Ederson back as we can't afford any mistakes like with Steffan the other day.

Saying that and even though it's at your gaff, I'll plump for a City win. Dependent on your lot not diving to get penalties in the 90 minutes of course

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Well you've certainly had more practice at taking them than anyone else. So hopefully doesn't go to pens

Don't know what our line up will be yet as don't know how many are still out with Covid. Definitely need Ederson back as we can't afford any mistakes like with Steffan the other day.

Saying that and even though it's at your gaff, I'll plump for a City win. Dependent on your lot not diving to get penalties in the 90 minutes of course

I was listening to something on ESPN today and someone (I think Frank LeBeouf) reminded me that around the late 1990s early 2000s United also had a reputation for getting more pens than anyone else.... so I see this as a sign good things might be around the corner.

Enjoy the match lads. 

• Sad 1

First thing I read on my phone on waking today, was a message from my big brother telling me King Colin had passed away. Awful start to the day. Tears. 

I knew Colin had been in and out of hospital before Xmas, knew it was serious but never heard anything more.

I grew up in the 60s with Colin Bell as my favourite player. An amazing player who could do everything - think of part Yaya, part Fernandinho and part KdB. He'd be breaking up an attack, playing it out to someone and would then be there galloping in at the far post to bang it in - a goal he scored many times. Think he was a goal every 3 games player, but he could defend, run midfield and he could run and run and run. 

I was sat in Platt Lane, on those horrible benches, for the ManU league Cup tie - don't recall why, as i always went in the Kippax - Colin was running directly towards me when Martin Buchan chopped him down. I had a very good view of the incident. We won 4v0, Asa Hartford was brilliant that day but we knew it was a serious loss of our talisman.

I was also there (seasonticket holder until.i left the UK) when Colin made his comeback couple of years later, vs Newcastle. He came on at half-time, for Paul Power apparently, and the crowd noise as Colin ran out and during the 2nd half is long remembered by all there that day. 

Sadly, it was very apparent that Colin was trying to come back but he had a pronounced limp. He tried with his comeback for a while longer but it wasn't to be.

I heard an interview with Colin from a few years ago this morning, and my immediate thought was how rarely I'd heard Colin's voice over the past 50 years, that it wasn't a familiar voice - that says something about a club's greatest player, member of the coaching staff then a club ambassador over that long period.

Great footballer, arguably City's greatest, but a very humble shy man.

RIP King Colin.

Eq_eewNW4AcDV9B.jpeg

Eq_xZ1kXYAEirzo.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wilai said:

Scott Carson and Cole Palmer are your latest (playing) Covid casualties.

8 covid positive:

Jesus & Walker.

Ederson, Torres, Garcia & Doyle.

Carson and Palmer

Laporte and Ake injured, didn't train yesterday.

Vs Chelsea we had just 8 subs, including 3 kids yet to make PL debut.

Performance was so good vs Chelsea I'd play the same team, but I heard Bernardo is suspended tonight (?) which will be a big loss. Looks like we'll have to have 2nd choice nervy Zack in goal again (yikes) and 4th choice 18yr pld Trafford who's not made his club debut - not great is it. Odds are against us.

Can only see Pep playing the same way we did vs ManU and Chelsea; keep it tight and hope for a goal from the many chances we waste. Gone are the free flowing days, it's now a more pragmatic approach.

For anyone watching in Thailand, it's on live on Thai tv channel PPTV (ch36? on Truevisions) or download TrueID Lite App and watch on PPTV.

Game on!

4 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Performance was so good vs Chelsea I'd play the same team, but I heard Bernardo is suspended tonight (?) which will be a big loss.

Fernandinho in for Rodri - ok.

Mahrez in for Bernardo - grr!#!

Weaker than Saturday.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

3 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Fernandinho in for Rodri - ok.

Mahrez in for Bernardo - g rr!#!

Weaker than Saturday.

Surprised to not see Walker starting particularly with United quick counter. 

Expect your keeper to get peppered. 

Best of luck. 

Edited by Kadilo

6 minutes ago, jellydog said:

That was a sharp as a tack City. Great on both sides of the ball all night.:clap2:

Impressive performance. 

Tactics spot on. Nullified Fernandes and Rashford. Martial only contribution was his usual pathetic dives.

OLS clueless on how to respond. 

Stones and Dias were outstanding. Time to get Stones back in the England side and dump the donkey. 

If it wasn’t for Henderson they would of got a drubbing. 

Great save by your keeper early on was all he had to do all night. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 2

Pep is repeatedly criticised that he does not give our young players chances, in particular Pep does not give Phil Foden enough starts or opportunities, by the media, by other fans and by certain posters on these threads (especially 2 Spurs fans no longer on TVforum). We read recently that Real Madrid are after him as he isn't starting every game. So here's some stats and comparisons with other top players and you can make your own mind up. 

How many games has Foden appeared in? 

Since making his debut at the age of 17 years and six months in 2017, he's played in 93 first team games for City - not far off an average of 30 games a season.

This season overall:

24 games in, Foden has appeared in 19 first team games. Only Raheem Sterling (22) and Rodri (23) have appeared in more games for City this season so far.

No player has appeared in more Champions League games for City this season than Foden – one of three players (with Sterling and Silva) to have made six CL appearances.

Premier League this season:

Foden has appeared in 11 games. Only Rodri (15), Sterling (14), Ederson (14), De Bruyne (14), Dias (13) and Walker (12) have appeared in more Premier League games this season.

What about his starts overall?:

Of those 93 appearances he has started 45 games, slightly less than half, but that’s considering his entire career.

What about his starts this season?:

In 2020-21 season he has started 68% of all the games he has played – only two players have appeared in more games!

How does Foden's progress compare to others?:

At 20 years old:

Paul Scholes: 25 app. 7 goals

Figo: 41 app 1 goal

Steven Gerrard: 44 app 1 goal

Frank Lampard: 60 app 10 goals

Patrick Viera: 66 app 4 goals

Zidane: 71 app 6 goals

Iniesta: 73 app 4 goals

Peter Barnes was given his City debut at 17 years and 4 months old (Foden was 17 years and 6 months). At the same age as Foden is today, Barnes had played 88 first team games to Foden's 93.

Pirlo: 90 app 6 goal

Foden: 93 app 21 goals

Xavi: 100 app 6 goals

I'd like to know Giggs stats as i recall he was held back by Fergie when the fans and media were crying out for more starts, and Rooney's stats as he started really early and was burnt out by the time he was 30 yrs old.

[From Gary James and other sources]

Players who didn't start against ManU:

Ederson, 

Walker, Ake, Laporte, Mendy, 

Bernardo, Rodri, Cole Palmer, 

Torres, Augero, Jesus

Not a bad 2nd eleven

After 2 games in 48 hrs vs Chelsea and ManU, I'd expect very few of the players who played in those games will play vs Brum on Sunday (isn't that everone except Mahrez and Fernandinho?).

But will Foden play I can hear Rick asking? 

On 1/7/2021 at 5:45 AM, Kadilo said:

Nullified Fernandes

Fernandes was awful. Roy Keane made the point that it's all very well being our creative spark, but he needs to get more consistent in the big games like Cantona was if he is going to be compared.

However, depending on what happens in the league this could all be forgotten. Double is still on! 

3 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Fernandes was awful. Roy Keane made the point that it's all very well being our creative spark, but he needs to get more consistent in the big games like Cantona was if he is going to be compared.

However, depending on what happens in the league this could all be forgotten. Double is still on! 

True. OLS already has the quadruple. ????

Om a serious note you will will win nothing while you have Maguire as your “leader”, and Poison Pogba just playing when he fancies it.

I’m not an OLS basher but he clearly lacks tactical know how in most of the big games. In that area he hasn’t improved even though the team overall has. Just my opinion obviously.  

Edited by Kadilo

44 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

"Utd's midfield got bossed by a 35yr old that gets his gametime managed. His name is Fernandinho. Shaved head. Scars. Baller."

"Senor Ref, elp me out ere, dis man is sh*tting on me"

ErIJdPAW4AIcOWY.jpeg

He didn't get bossed by him. He had the ball in plenty of space a few times and just didn't capitalise on it.