The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

9 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

True. OLS already has the quadruple. ????

Om a serious note you will will win nothing while you have Maguire as your “leader”, and Poison Pogba just playing when he fancies it.

I’m not an OLS basher but he clearly lacks tactical know how in most of the big games. In that area he hasn’t improved even though the team overall has. Just my opinion obviously.  

I don't agree... Ole has won the tactical battle vs Pep more often than not I think.. or at least very even.

Maguire isn't the biggest concern IMO but yes when Pogba just let's the game pass him by like that it makes me glad he's going... If he is. 

Manchester City owner forks out £760k to keep oldest surviving FA Cup in England

Won by City in 1904 it is credited by local historians as sparking the city's huge passion for the game and will be loaned back to the National Football Museum.

A piece of football silverware which was the first won by any Manchester club and is credited with sparking the city's passion for the game will remain in England after Manchester City's owner forked out over £750,000 to buy it.

The Football Association Challenge Cup (FA Cup) used from 1896 to 1910, had been previously been housed at the National Football Museum but was put up for sale by its then owner, West Ham co-owner David Gold.

It is considered as an item of International Historic Significance by The Arts Council and there were fears it could be purchased and taken overseas.

And City bosses say once the Blues' owner Sheikh Mansour heard about this he decided to step forward and purchase it to ensure it remains in the city.

A forerunner of the FA Cup in use today, it is the oldest surviving piece of FA Cup silverware in England with the original FA Cup being stolen in 1895 and never recovered. It is considered as one of the most significant artefacts in world football.

In a move similar to Sheikh Mansour, former Birmingham and now West Ham co-owner Mr Gold paid for £478,000 to save it in 2005, however he decided to sell it last year.

It was sold at Bonham's auction house in London in September with the winning bidder at that stage remaining anonymous.

The price paid for the trophy has not been officially revealed by the club, but Sheikh Mansour is reported to forked out a whopping £759,052 for it.

City, now the trophy's custodians, have confirmed an offer to loan it back to the museum had been accepted with bosses there saying it will be on display once the attraction can re-open following the easing of coronavirus lockdown restrictions.

City chairman Khaldoon Al-Mubarak said: “This Cup is a visible reminder of the rich and long history of English football to which Manchester City is inextricably entwined.

full story:- Manchester City owner forks out £760k to keep oldest surviving FA Cup in England - Manchester Evening News

2 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Manchester City owner forks out £760k to keep oldest surviving FA Cup in England

Won by City in 1904 it is credited by local historians as sparking the city's huge passion for the game and will be loaned back to the National Football Museum.

A piece of football silverware which was the first won by any Manchester club and is credited with sparking the city's passion for the game will remain in England after Manchester City's owner forked out over £750,000 to buy it.

The Football Association Challenge Cup (FA Cup) used from 1896 to 1910, had been previously been housed at the National Football Museum but was put up for sale by its then owner, West Ham co-owner David Gold.

It is considered as an item of International Historic Significance by The Arts Council and there were fears it could be purchased and taken overseas.

And City bosses say once the Blues' owner Sheikh Mansour heard about this he decided to step forward and purchase it to ensure it remains in the city.

A forerunner of the FA Cup in use today, it is the oldest surviving piece of FA Cup silverware in England with the original FA Cup being stolen in 1895 and never recovered. It is considered as one of the most significant artefacts in world football.

In a move similar to Sheikh Mansour, former Birmingham and now West Ham co-owner Mr Gold paid for £478,000 to save it in 2005, however he decided to sell it last year.

It was sold at Bonham's auction house in London in September with the winning bidder at that stage remaining anonymous.

The price paid for the trophy has not been officially revealed by the club, but Sheikh Mansour is reported to forked out a whopping £759,052 for it.

City, now the trophy's custodians, have confirmed an offer to loan it back to the museum had been accepted with bosses there saying it will be on display once the attraction can re-open following the easing of coronavirus lockdown restrictions.

City chairman Khaldoon Al-Mubarak said: “This Cup is a visible reminder of the rich and long history of English football to which Manchester City is inextricably entwined.

full story:- Manchester City owner forks out £760k to keep oldest surviving FA Cup in England - Manchester Evening News

'Stinking Rich Guy Pays a Lot of Money for Something'

Nothing to see here folks.

Maybe he realised that contrary to what City fans are often told, you actually can buy history ????

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

'Stinking Rich Guy Pays a Lot of Money for Something'

Nothing to see here folks.

Maybe he realised that contrary to what City fans are often told, you actually can buy history ????

Why am I not surprised with your reply? He hasn't bought it to put in City's ever expanding Trophy cabinet, this is about keeping it in the UK and more importantly, for all fans to see in the Museum.

Your owners could have bought it easily with all the money they've siphoned out of your takings but they've never really shown an interest in English Football or supporting the local community. They only show greed and the urge to line their pockets with your fans hard earned money (which I don't mind really)

Just now, mrbojangles said:

Why am I not surprised with your reply? He hasn't bought it to put in City's ever expanding Trophy cabinet, this is about keeping it in the UK and more importantly, for all fans to see in the Museum.

Your owners could have bought it easily with all the money they've siphoned out of your takings but they've never really shown an interest in English Football or supporting the local community. They only show greed and the urge to line their pockets with your fans hard earned money (which I don't mind really)

Aww... Giving it back to the museum are they. Very well executed (and expensive) PR move. 

Yup, ours are hard nosed businessmen who bought our club for their own gain, of course they did. Yours are a lot richer and were born into money. But we do a lot of stuff in the community to my knowledge so that reference is unfair. 

4 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

But we do a lot of stuff in the community to my knowledge so that reference is unfair. 

What exactly to your knowledge, do your club do for the local community? Considering OT is in a business aprk there ain't any locals anyway ????

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

What exactly to your knowledge, do your club do for the local community? Considering OT is in a business aprk there ain't any locals anyway ????

Look up the Man United Foundation mate.

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Maybe he realised that contrary to what City fans are often told, you actually can buy history

Did you read the article Rick?

We won that FA Cup in 1904. It was the first major trophy won by a Manchester club, that means City won a major trophy before ManU won a major trophy.

But that can't be correct can it, because people of your age group believe - erroneously - that City have no history. Well it chuffin is correct! 

2 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

A piece of football silverware which was the first won by any Manchester club and is credited with sparking the city's passion for the game

And the Sheikh has bought it to stop it going overseas from England, and is displaying it not at the Etihad but at the National Football Museum (it's in Manchester if you didn't know - it's brilliant, took the kids on two trips home) so EVERYBODY can see it. If you don't see that as a great gesture then you're a sadder rag than I thought you were.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

We won that FA Cup in 1904. It was the first major trophy won by a Manchester club, that means City won a major trophy before ManU won a major trophy.

But that can't be correct can it, because people of your age group believe - erroneously - that City have no history. Well it chuffin is correct! 

And the Sheikh has bought it to stop it going overseas from England, and is displaying it not at the Etihad but at the National Football Museum (it's in Manchester if you didn't know - it's brilliant, took the kids on two trips home) so EVERYBODY can see it. If you don't see that as a great gesture then you're a sadder rag than I thought you were.

You do have history. More so than the likes of Chelsea anyway. But most of your success has come in since these guys rode in on camelback.

Our owners are far from perfect, but they do splash the cash on players when required.. as everyone is so quick to remind us when those players don't live up to expectations!

And yeah I've been to the Museum.

Nobody seems to object if your team's owners are say American or Russian, but if they are Arabs then it's abuse and resentment (and from some it's racism).

The camel is a magnificent animal.

39 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Aguero was supposed to start today but not available at all. That doesn't sound good.:ermm:

Walker starts as a centre-back and Laporte not available. Another head scratcher?:huh:

Kun is self isolating. Laporte has an injury.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Interesting

Screenshot_20210112-201824_Facebook.jpg

Comon mate, that is really stretching it. In terms of goals, he plays a lot further forward than many of those players, especially when you play with your system with no striker. 

But yes he is a very early developer. If he can have as good a career as any of those players mentioned, you should be happy. 

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Comon mate, that is really stretching it. In terms of goals, he plays a lot further forward than many of those players, especially when you play with your system with no striker. 

But yes he is a very early developer. If he can have as good a career as any of those players mentioned, you should be happy. 

It's just merely a fact Rick. You don't have to accept it but I thought it was interesting. Particularly to those who say Pep doesn't give Foden enough opportunities. Not so bothered about the goals ratio

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

It's just merely a fact Rick. You don't have to accept it but I thought it was interesting. Particularly to those who say Pep doesn't give Foden enough opportunities. Not so bothered about the goals ratio

But he plays as a forward a lot of the time IMO.

Anyway, you have a serious talent on your hands. Not arguing with that. 

• Like 1