The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

25 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

My daughter is off both this and next week. Different regions different holidays?

Don't think region comes in to it, more to with type of school. Mine go to a bilingual school, term ends this Friday pm, opens early May.

32 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

MrBJ

With the Liverpool thread being deserted these days (seems they both picked up their ball and went home ????), is it within your powers to nominate somebody to be a Liverpoo fan to keep that thread going?

I lived in Aigburth for a couple of years decades ago. Never picked up the accent though la

5 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

We got off a bit there but also unlucky at times. Was not happy with Rodri feigning a kick in the head. That's not how our players should act. We'll leave that stuff to Salah and Fernandez (insert any United player)

Yes the away goal was a bummer but we are more than capable of scoring away as well. Thought it was a strange starting 11 from Pep but I think I've got used to not second guessing his picks.

That was my first late night game of retirement in Thailand. Still in quarantine until saturday morning, so opted for a couple of hours sleep before the game. No sports package in the hotel, so watched it on the laptop. Not too bad

Agreed with all that, especially about Rodri. I'm not his biggest fan. He's probably not on Pep's want list, but replacing Rodri with Kalvin Phillips would be really nice.

7 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Once a blue, always a blue.

Next season he'll be going carp fishing with Foden ????

Screenshot_20210407-102748_Chrome.jpg

He was a Leeds fan last season when they were promoted; born there so England should have claimed him. He'll never win anything playing for Norway, then again .....

12 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Agreed with all that, especially about Rodri. I'm not his biggest fan. He's probably not on Pep's want list, but replacing Rodri with Kalvin Phillips would be really nice.

You rate Phillips?

Dont see him with anywhere near enough quality to play for your lot. Amazed he is Playing for England, but then again when I see the likes of Maguire and Dire still in the squad, maybe not. 

Edited by Kadilo

1 minute ago, Kadilo said:

You rate Phillips?

Dont see him with anywhere near enough quality to play for your lot. Amazed he is Playing for England, but then again when I see the likes of Maguire and Dire still in the squad, maybe not. 

BBC have City in for Sheff Utd's Norwegian DM (Berge?) as a replacement for Fernandinho. Been injured all season. He will be company for Haaland. Cheaper than Phillips I would imagine.

2 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

You rate Phillips?

Maybe its because I follow Leeds, but Phillips impresses me. Hard working DM with smarts and a great link to the front. I'm not sure he has enough pace but playing for Bielsa he can't be slow. Leeds suffers when he's not available.

7 minutes ago, champers said:

BBC have City in for Sheff Utd's Norwegian DM (Berge?) as a replacement for Fernandinho. Been injured all season. He will be company for Haaland. Cheaper than Phillips I would imagine.

I'd rather they replace Rodri and keep Fernandinho on life support for years!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, champers said:

He was a Leeds fan last season when they were promoted; born there so England should have claimed him. He'll never win anything playing for Norway, then again .....

The big galoot playing for Bielsa would be something to see.:)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, champers said:

I haven't seen him in a Leeds shirt but here's a few in a City shirt. There's a video of him as a youth training in a City Balotelli shirt (big fan apparently). He was a long time member of a City supporters Club branch.

Was good to see Claudio Reyna's lad, Gio, last night.

EtYWxiIXYAEY15s.jpeg

EtYWwT7XIAACvyY.png

Screenshot_20210407-185843_Gallery.jpg

Strange strange game!

Several times this season Pep has played a weakened team (Cheltenham and Fulham spring to mind) and we've looked like a bunch of strangers. So it was today. Usually we get away with it and the cavalry coming on turn it around.

Start with your best players, get ahead and then take them off - thinking of Dortmund screwed us today.

Only Zinchenko (rare midfield outing), Fernandinho and Stones played at their normal level, the rest were poor (Sterling, Torres, Jesus and Cancelo) or average - Stones was brilliant. Ake looked so rusty, Torres looks ineffective out wide (he knows where the goal is), Sterling has lost confidence.

Poor team performance, but deserved to lose?

The goal before HT was the key point of the game, not the sending off. Holding on with 10 men looked on, City just didn't look like scoring. 2nd half, with a massive hole in midfield that Stones kept running in to, it was crying out for KDB; Gundo was not the sub required.

At 85 minutes, I said we should be bringing on Dias or Rodri to ensure the point, while still going for the winner. That was typical Pre-Dias City, leaving the backdoor open! I seriously doubt Leeds would have profited had Dias been on.

Pep didn't cover himself in glory today. 

Leeds battled hard all day and got their reward, well done to them.

• Like 1

Assuming no further injuries today, vs Dortmund

I'd play (433)
Ederson
Walker Stones Dias Zinchenko
KdB Fernandinho Rodri
Mahrez Gundogan Foden

But I think Pep will play
Ederson
Walker Stones Dias Zinchenko
KdB Rodri Gundogan
Mahrez Jesus Foden

Bernardo and Cancelo were poor in the 1st leg and today, Sterling is out of form, Laporte and Aguero out injured.

We weren't at our usual level in the 1st leg or today, so it should be interesting.

46 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Strange strange game!

Several times this season Pep has played a weakened team (Cheltenham and Fulham spring to mind) and we've looked like a bunch of strangers. So it was today. Usually we get away with it and the cavalry coming on turn it around.

Start with your best players, get ahead and then take them off - thinking of Dortmund screwed us today.

Only Zinchenko (rare midfield outing), Fernandinho and Stones played at their normal level, the rest were poor (Sterling, Torres, Jesus and Cancelo) or average - Stones was brilliant. Ake looked so rusty, Torres looks ineffective out wide (he knows where the goal is), Sterling has lost confidence.

Poor team performance, but deserved to lose?

The goal before HT was the key point of the game, not the sending off. Holding on with 10 men looked on, City just didn't look like scoring. 2nd half, with a massive hole in midfield that Stones kept running in to, it was crying out for KDB; Gundo was not the sub required.

At 85 minutes, I said we should be bringing on Dias or Rodri to ensure the point, while still going for the winner. That was typical Pre-Dias City, leaving the backdoor open! I seriously doubt Leeds would have profited had Dias been on.

Pep didn't cover himself in glory today. 

Leeds battled hard all day and got their reward, well done to them.

Thirty goal attempts.

Should have done better.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Thirty goal attempts.

Should have done better.

One of those games that's best forgotten. Couldn't get it done in the final third despite a boatload of chances. I should have known when I picked this game as my Banker that it wouldn't work out.

Had the worst experience ever last night using free live streams, constant buffering and freezing, must have used about 6 websites till in the last 20mins I found a decent stream but no soundtrack. It's a disgrace that CL is not shown on TV in Thailand!

Great comeback. Started badly, offered nothing until they went ahead and then we woke up. As usual a good 2nd half. Once we drew level with Mahrez ballsy penalty, you could feel us getting well on top and another one coming, and how fitting it went to Foden who always offers something and never hides. Chapeau blues!