The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

A few things from last night.

Foden is just bladdy brilliant. The way this kid is growing, his limits are endless. Pleasure to watch last night.

Ederson again showing why he is special. Play out from the back all night and the a pin point accurate pass up field and 3 touches, back of the net. The times he does that is awesome.

The game obviously changed when we went down to 10 but tbh, it was hard to see who had 10 and who had 11. We just passed the ball around them.

Good all round performance that was and didn't look flustered even after Villa scoring so early

3 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Seeing as it was intended to be a direct kick in the teeth to UEFA, I'm sure they already anticipated that move. What I dont think they anticipated was the outrage from fans, the PL and players being threatened with expulsion from nation teams. Lesson learned is to never threaten a corrupt closed shop by trying to open another one

Gives a good idea what the owners of these 6 clubs would like the Premiership to be. Add in a few big Championship clubs, split into 2 conferences, have play-offs and a Superbowl type grand final and watch the money roll in.

1 hour ago, champers said:

Gives a good idea what the owners of these 6 clubs would like the Premiership to be. Add in a few big Championship clubs, split into 2 conferences, have play-offs and a Superbowl type grand final and watch the money roll in.

I've just been listening to TalkSport and they're going on about "inviting" Celtic and Rangers into the PL. If they do that it is totally hypocrisy to what everyone has just been moaning about.

20 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I've just been listening to TalkSport and they're going on about "inviting" Celtic and Rangers into the PL. If they do that it is totally hypocrisy to what everyone has just been moaning about.

I could only see that happening if the naughty 6 were expelled from the EPL and that won't happen.

If they want to play in England they should start at the bottom; let everyone benefit for a few years.

City's Owners / management issued their apology late last night (Thai time) to City fans on their emailing list, season ticket holders, etc, here's the one i received. 

Pretty much all City fans want Khaldoon or Soriano to come out with an interview video to answer questions of why they joined in and why they opted out - videos like they did to explain the club's position on EUFA's FFP & CAS. I think until they do that there will be dissatisfaction. It is likely that they can't do that until our situation with the PL, FA and EUFA, and maybe with ESL, is known, in case of legal implications.

Many City fans want a head to roll, in particular Soriano's. I don't. I think our Owners / management have been brilliant since they took over 13 years ago in 2008, they've barely put a foot wrong, they got this one wrong big time but we shouldn't forget what they've done for us, and should allow them this one mistake (subject to a full explanation and showing remorse for their actions) - the fans can then hold it against them as a bargaining chip against future ticket increases, etc, they don't like and want to negotiate.

Screenshot_20210422-010819_Gallery.jpg

From such a terrible start, in such an important game, to come back and win was impressive – going down to 10 men didn’t seem to affect us too much - and it was such a brilliant performance in 'managing a game'; I was very impressed (and relieved).

When Stones got sent off I was more upset with Pep losing his head and not getting Laporte on for Jesus, than I was about was the decision right or wrong. Sometimes Pep doesn’t help himself by losing his head and his assistants need to take control of him to cool him down. The ref initially gave a yellow and that’s what I thought it was, with Stones being a split second late but no intent, but as soon as the ref started walking to the tv screen I knew Stones would be off.

Foden. Not long he'll be our top player. He was very impressive last night: desire, pace, balance, decision-making, had it all. Most of all he is an absolute joy to watch. Does anybody remember the stick we used to take on here about Foden? ????

Very impressed with Bernardo also. So tidy, great work rate, link play, up their as his best performance of the season for me.

Defence looking nervy recently.

Such an important win. The game seemed to go on forever. It was so nervy. I would imagine for a neutral it was enjoyable.

I feel so much happier today – first time since Dortmund last week (the Chelsea non-performance after the Leeds non-performance, the Super League, put the mockers on my mood).

Been with the wife to the wat today again, to keep my promise during the game that i'd go and thank the Buddha if we won - been going to the Wat with the wife a lot this season ????

The team Pep put out last is close to our best starting 11 currently (he had to bring in Jesus for injured KDB) and showed the importance of the Villa  game to our season compared to the FA Semi game.

Ederson

Walker Stones Dias (Laporte could come in without affecting the team) Zinchenko

KDB Rodri Gundogan

Mahrez Bernardo Foden

Going behind after 20 minutes, down to 10 men after 43 minutes and having to work hard for the whole game would not have been what Pep wanted last night and it will no doubt affect his thinking for the Carabao Final vs Spurs with PSG 1st leg days later.

I expect he will bring in the squad players again vs Spurs like he did without success against Leeds and Chelsea.

It doesn't help that Spurs seem to have become a bit of a bogey team for us in recent seasons.

If he does playthe squad players against Spurs - i am convinced he will - then i do not fancy us at all in the final.

Playing most of the best starting 11 with a few squad players sprinkled in works, but making major changes and playing a forward line of out of form players like Sterling Jesus and Torres does not work.

Interesting days ahead.

2 hours ago, thaifoolishness said:

In case anybody is wondering, the Carabao Cup final looks like it's being shown on Thai TV ch 36, PPTV. This channel usually has football in dual language English/Thai

https://www.pptvhd36.com/schedule

COYS!

It definitely is being shown as you state. PPTV show it every year.

Think PPTV is also showing the Leeds game before the Caraboa cup.

Been trying to guess Pep's team vs Palace. I can see 10 changes (only Ederson retained from midweek) as there's only something like 60 hours between PSG final whistle and Palace kick-off, and he'll need to keep the 1st 11 fresh for PSG midweek. Pretty sure Laporte Ake Mendy Fernandinho Sterling Torres Aguero and Jesus will play, biggest selection problem is who will play alongside Fernandinho (Doyle?) as the 1st 11 features 6 midfielders so not many to choose from. Anyway here's my guesses:

4-3-3

Ederson

Cancelo or Garcia Laporte Ake Mendy

? Fernandinho Zinchenko 

Sterling Aguero Jesus

3-5-2

Ederson

Garcia Laporte Ake 

Cancelo ? Fernandinho Zinchenko Mendy

Aguero Jesus

(Rick, does that help?)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Been trying to guess Pep's team vs Palace. 

Yeah, it's hard enough on a normal week but a game like this in between PSG is anyone's guess but exactly, there will be many changes to the PSG game

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

who will play alongside Fernandinho (Doyle?)

Tommy Doyle captained the EDS yesterday in the win vs Spurs (Premier League 2) so I can't see him being involved. So I'm struggling to think who might play alongside Fernandinho.

Last night the EDS received their trophy as Champions of Premier League 2. Well done boys!

Screenshot_20210501-105801_ManCityApp.jpg

22 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Been trying to guess Pep's team vs Palace. I can see 10 changes (only Ederson retained from midweek) as there's only something like 60 hours between PSG final whistle and Palace kick-off, and he'll need to keep the 1st 11 fresh for PSG midweek. Pretty sure Laporte Ake Mendy Fernandinho Sterling Torres Aguero and Jesus will play, biggest selection problem is who will play alongside Fernandinho (Doyle?) as the 1st 11 features 6 midfielders so not many to choose from. Anyway here's my guesses:

4-3-3

Ederson

Cancelo or Garcia Laporte Ake Mendy

? Fernandinho Zinchenko 

Sterling Aguero Jesus

3-5-2

Ederson

Garcia Laporte Ake 

Cancelo ? Fernandinho Zinchenko Mendy

Aguero Jesus

(Rick, does that help?)

So it's Rodri alongside Fernandinho - didn't see that coming. 

So the back 4 vs PSG is Walker Stones Dias and Zinchenko (not Cancelo, who was unconvincing in the 1st leg).

Good to Kun getting a run out.

12 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

35 mins

Everytime we play the B team WE LOOK AWFUL.

Another poor result today on the cards?

It's Leeds and Chelsea all over again.

We look like a bunch of strangers - if i was Palace I'd fancy an upset tiday.

Apart from Fernandinho, all poor. 

Sterling continues to be in a really bad place.

If Pep doesn't bring on 2 of the subs...umm.

It's been horrible.

Grr! ????

Poor until a moment of Aguerooooo brilliance turned the game and then we looked confident.

What a finish by Aguero. Right up there with his best. If you haven't seen it, search it out. GIVE HIM A NEW CONTRACT YOU IDIOTS!

Not worked out Torres yet. I thought we'd bought a winger but he looks like a finisher (10 in his debut season is it).

Sterling. Desperate. For. A. Goal. No. Confidence. 

Why did Pep take Fernandinho off? Best player on the pitch. GIVE HIM A NEW CONTRACT YOU IDIOTS!

COME ON LIVERPOO!!!

58 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

COME ON LIVERPOO!!!

Surprised you would want them to win, unless you consider United to be your biggest rivals now? Surely you don't want Liverpool to get top 4.