The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

53 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Not liking the look of this line up with Ake and Mendy. I do like the fact that Pep is giving young Torres a go at showing us what he can do

Perhaps Pep knew in advance that Harry wasn't playing.

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

Not liking the look of this line up with Ake and Mendy. I do like the fact that Pep is giving young Torres a go at showing us what he can do

Has Torres had a touch in the first half?

42 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

If Spurs had Kane they might be winning this... But you can say the same about City.

Edit... They might not need him!

If we hadn't had Mendy and Ake on the pitch, with 9 men we'd have won it. Congrats to Spurs though

TBH, I'm not worried at the moment. Hardly a pre-season with the first choicers. Walker and Stones will add better balance at the back and Zinchenko made an instant impact as soon as he came on for Mendy. Was happey to see KdB getting a few minutes. First time he's kicked a ball since the Euro's and wasn't expecting him back from his injury yet.

4 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

If we hadn't had Mendy and Ake on the pitch, with 9 men we'd have won it. Congrats to Spurs though

TBH, I'm not worried at the moment. Hardly a pre-season with the first choicers. Walker and Stones will add better balance at the back and Zinchenko made an instant impact as soon as he came on for Mendy. Was happey to see KdB getting a few minutes. First time he's kicked a ball since the Euro's and wasn't expecting him back from his injury yet.

Considering how you started last season I wouldn't be worried either.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

He got much better the second KdB came on didn't he

KDB is the brains of our attack I think. Without him there is often too much 1:1 from our attackers. Not that we can't win that way, but sometimes it won't work.

3 hours ago, wilai said:

3 consecutive losses without scoring! Worst run since Stuart Pearce was manager in 2007????. Pep should be punished and get the 'Kane' for that!

I'd have nudged mrboj's poke of chips on to the floor at the final whistle.

I know how to really strike at his cold Mancunian heart.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RonniePickering22 said:

I'd have nudged mrboj's poke of chips on to the floor at the final whistle.

I know how to really strike at his cold Mancunian heart.

2 plates of chips that we finish above you ????

I have United mates posting pictures of the PL table already. Like they've won the league after 1 game ????

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

I have United mates posting pictures of the PL table already. Like they've won the league after 1 game ????

Whoever is doing that are idiots. The club actually did it too on Twitter, in a joking way but still. 

Things were also looking rosey after 4-0 a couple of seasons ago vs Chelsea on the first day. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

What a laugh...whining about a couple of players out when they have a half a billion quid on the pitch.

Who's whining? Your view on what is whining and what is commenting on a team selection is a tad weird. I said before the game that I wasn't happy with the selection of Ake and Mendy and it turned out they were our weakest links. I don't care what we paid for them, they are worth about 20 quid each 

2 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Who's whining? Your view on what is whining and what is commenting on a team selection is a tad weird. I said before the game that I wasn't happy with the selection of Ake and Mendy and it turned out they were our weakest links. I don't care what we paid for them, they are worth about 20 quid each 

Doesn't say much for Pep's transfer acumen given the amounts he spent on them does it? And was it just me, or were Grealish and Sterling playing in pretty much identical positions? Cut down their space and made them much easier to close down. Not sure there's room for both of them in the same XI!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wilai said:

Doesn't say much for Pep's transfer acumen given the amounts he spent on them does it? And was it just me, or were Grealish and Sterling playing in pretty much identical positions? Cut down their space and made them much easier to close down. Not sure there's room for both of them in the same XI!

In general they do play the same position. 

21 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

2 plates of chips that we finish above you ????

Arsenal and City in a relegation battle. Along with Leeds.

Gonna be an exciting season with The Irons, Watford, Brentford and Toffeemen challenging for top 4.

2 hours ago, wilai said:

There was a piece in the MEN about our transfer process. You might be amazed to know that the manager has very little to do with it. Yes, he will have some sort of say but not a lot. They put the trust in the scouting system for what positions are needed, who is available and the valuations. You know, the system that is so good Liverpool hacked into it and got fined for. It is a multi million pound business that has long term plans which will go past Pep's tenure. So they don't rely on the whim of a manager who may not be there in the medium (or shorter) term. I would imagine most PL clubs operate in the same way(ish) which is why they have many coaches nowadays instead on managers

1 hour ago, wilai said:

Why play both then? Not as if Pep is ever short of options. Poor tactical management?

Pep always like players who can play in varying positions. Yeah, Sterling plays mainly on the left for us but he often switches. Grealish won't always play in the same position as he did at Villa either. The problem with our team the other day is that it was unbalanced and that was due to preferred players not having enough minutes under their belts or coming back from injury. If we'd have had walker, Stones and Zinchenko on at the back with maybe Laporte in front and KdB on from the start it would have been a totally different kettle of lobsters

10 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Pep always like players who can play in varying positions.

So why didn't they? Tactics? or the players' failure to carry out positional instructions? Your XI cost about 530m with another 350m on the bench so blaming non playing defenders won't wash. Heat maps below demonstrate what went wrong. What I don't know is why!

E86EqRgWEAAyHIO?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Liverpool hacked into it and got fined for

No they weren't....a settlement was reached and no action was taken by the authorities. Well worth it as presumably we crossed a few expensive duds off any wish list we might have had????

'An FA spokesperson said: “The FA has carefully considered the evidence it received in this matter, including information provided by both clubs involved, and has decided not to progress the investigation.'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Pep always like players who can play in varying positions. Yeah, Sterling plays mainly on the left for us but he often switches. Grealish won't always play in the same position as he did at Villa either. The problem with our team the other day is that it was unbalanced and that was due to preferred players not having enough minutes under their belts or coming back from injury. If we'd have had walker, Stones and Zinchenko on at the back with maybe Laporte in front and KdB on from the start it would have been a totally different kettle of lobsters

Ah yes...if Kane had been fit we'd have beaten you 3-0

• Like 1

Pep called Spurs the 'Harry Kane' team, lost to the 'Harry Kane' team without Harry Kane four times, offered Spurs €150m to BECOME the 'Harry Kane' team, lost to the 'Harry Kane' team without Harry Kane AGAIN, and he still has no hair ????????

• Haha 2