The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Well done the blues. It was close and if it were 2 points for a win, like in the old days, Liverpool would have taken it by one point.

What about 3 points for an away win, 2 for a home victory, one each for a score draw and nothing for either team in a 0-0?

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

It was close and if it were 2 points for a win, like in the old days, Liverpool would have taken it by one point.

No OSA. That's pretty desperate thinking really. Teams would simply adopt a different strategy to gain the most points. It's impossible to say what the outcome would have been if it had been 2 points for a win. 

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

No OSA. That's pretty desperate thinking really. Teams would simply adopt a different strategy to gain the most points. It's impossible to say what the outcome would have been if it had been 2 points for a win. 

It moved to 3pts to discourage defensive thinking and make it better viewing for the fans.

• Like 1

After going to the Leicester game, it and the Brighton game followed the same nervy pattern as the previous 5 or 6 games (we watched the latter in Bredbury Hall nev, where im staying (Stockport Holiday Inn Express is the place to stay now, next to train station, excellent); place seems to be doing alright and is full of hen parties).

Was tempted to go down to City Square - the bars area outside the Etihad - to watch the game (£4).

At 10pm the players flew back and did a presentation of the trophy at City Square; brothers told me plenty of pissed players with Ederson absolutely bladdered.

I predicted liverpool would score first then Brighton, but I was happily wrong with my prediction that we wouldn't pull it around - i know i should know better by now but that's five decades of following City. Brilliant how we immediately hit back and then slowly dismantled Brighton. My brothers had Mahrez as MOM but i had Bernardo again, just love the man's attitude and drive.

Fair play to Liverpool, didn't deserve to be runners up in an amazingly tense season but as they say, the table never lies.

After 2 brilliant seasons i can only see us at the top of the pack challenging again next season but against which club (s)?

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Was tempted to go down to City Square - the bars area outside the Etihad - to watch the game (£4).

Most of my Blue family and friends went. They had a great time. If I'd have been in the UK I'd deffo have gone

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

After 2 brilliant seasons i can only see us at the top of the pack challenging again next season but against which club (s)?

Liverpool won't be going away and I suppose until we know what clubs are going to sign who, it's a difficult one to answer as to who else will be in the mix.

Without wishing to pee on anyone's fireworks, the BBC is reporting that City face a 1 year ban from European competitions. A decision will be made in the next 48 hours. 

This would surely give City a head start for next year's EPL. Or would it?

21 minutes ago, champers said:

Without wishing to pee on anyone's fireworks, the BBC is reporting that City face a 1 year ban from European competitions. A decision will be made in the next 48 hours. 

This would surely give City a head start for next year's EPL. Or would it?

I've heard that even if they do decide to suspend us we will appeal and the suspension if upheld wouldn't come into effect until the 20/21 season

18 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I've heard that even if they do decide to suspend us we will appeal and the suspension if upheld wouldn't come into effect until the 20/21 season

<taps foot impatiently> 

8 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Just pointing out the way it would have been before.

Seeing as both clubs had a fantastic run at the finish, it's hard to see what more either could have done. Liverpool 67 - City 66 (based on 2 points for a win). Liverpool only lost one match compared to City's 4. 

I can recall a lobby for a change in the points to more reflect the goals scored. Things change (calculating points) and City got one more point than Liverpool. That's life.

Personally, I'd like to see some changes in the game. But that's another story.

4 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

.kicking you out of the CL to me is pointless and just hurts the fans.

Beg to differ mate. Most City fans (me included) wouldn't give a toss. As long as we keep on trying to win the Prem, we're happy. Our owners (and Pep) wouldn't like being out of the CL though.

4 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Beg to differ mate. Most City fans (me included) wouldn't give a toss. As long as we keep on trying to win the Prem, we're happy. Our owners (and Pep) wouldn't like being out of the CL though.

Could be a catalyst for exit Pep you think?

27 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Just pointing out the way it would have been before.

Seeing as both clubs had a fantastic run at the finish, it's hard to see what more either could have done. Liverpool 67 - City 66 (based on 2 points for a win). Liverpool only lost one match compared to City's 4. 

But it wouldn't have been that way. For a start there were 22 teams in the division when it was 2 points, so what would have been earned from those extra games? It's a bit of nonsense to be honest OSA, as I said before, a different strategy in football has taken place since the 3 points came in. Teams fight more hard now to get the 3 points. I can't remember the last time City played for a draw because 3 points is worth so much more

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

It moved to 3pts to discourage defensive thinking and make it better viewing for the fans.

The 3 points for a win helps the teams that win rather than draw. The 2 point system favoured the teams that didn't lose so much.

Although City lost 4, Liverpool drew 7 and although they only lost one, they still couldn't muster the points to overhaul City. Too many draws for the reds.

Good era of English football coming. And, also north of the border where the two biggies are getting closer.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 1:33 PM, mrbojangles said:

Today's very strong statement. Looks like the club expect to be wrongly penalised and will be challenging in the Appeals and beyond if necessary.

"Manchester City Football Club is disappointed, but regrettably not surprised, by the sudden announcement of the referral to be made by the CFCB IC Chief Investigator Yves Leterme.

The leaks to media over the last week are indicative of the process that has been overseen by Mr. Leterme.

Manchester City is entirely confident of a positive outcome when the matter is considered by an independent judicial body. 

The accusation of financial irregularities remains entirely false and the CFCB IC referral ignores a comprehensive body of irrefutable evidence provided by Manchester City FC to the Chamber. 

The decision contains mistakes, misinterpretations and confusions fundamentally borne out of a basic lack of due process and there remain significant unresolved matters raised by Manchester City FC as part of what the Club has found to be a wholly unsatisfactory, curtailed, and hostile process."