The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

39 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Just read that Vinny is to become player-manager at Anderlecht

My hope to see Vinny back didn't last long. Best of luck. He gets to keep playing AND begin his career as a manager. Perfect.

• Like 1

As City's Allez Allez Allez song has upset liverpool, there's a new version:

"All the way from Brighton
Singing on a plane
Scousers finish second
It's happening again
Stonesy nutmegged Salah
Half an inch too short
Sterling won the double
With Walker and Laporte

Allez, allez, allez"

4 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

That's very kind of them. Don't know the average Everton salary but that should see them get lots of food. I don't want to sound harsh but I think there are hundred's of more worthy causes that need money more desperately than Bolton staff. Bolton community should be the first to be donating and that includes the council. City have quite strict policies on donations and in the main most goes to East Manchester

I agree about there being many more worthy causes. Many local businesses and individuals have donated anonymously, making it difficult to comment. 

I don't really want to hijack this thread, so I will update on the BWFC thread  in the next couple of days.

By the way, David Wheater is available if you are looking for a replacement for Vinny.

• Like 1

For me, there are 2 ready made and possibly available replacements for Kompany in the Prem.

1. Aldewiereld. You could get the added bonus of gazzumping Utd.

2. Azpilacueta. As a central defender. May not be for sale though.

Is it true that Otamendi is off as well?

19 minutes ago, champers said:

For me, there are 2 ready made and possibly available replacements for Kompany in the Prem.

Toby A. would be a really nice addition. Apparently Otamendi is soon to be out the door. A. Madrid mooted as the most likely destination.

15 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Apparently Otamendi is soon to be out the door. A. Madrid mooted as the most likely destination.

I've heard the same. Otamendi won't be a big loss IMO. Vinny will be missed but hopefully behind closed doors he has kept City up to speed with his intentions and so plenty of time to have a list of targets 

4 hours ago, jellydog said:

Toby A. would be a really nice addition. Apparently Otamendi is soon to be out the door. A. Madrid mooted as the most likely destination.

Eyes off our players you thieving Manc scoooom!

15 hours ago, jellydog said:

The wife's friend - Otamendi's next door neighbour - has been telling us for weeks Athletico is agreed, plus he's very recently moved out of that house in to temporary.

16 hours ago, champers said:

We lack height. Pretty sure we'll be going for someone decent in the air, which those two are not, to partner Laporte or Stones. 

21 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

We knew the day would come but it's still a sad one. All the very best to Vinny Kompany in whatever you do next. The guy has been an absolute legend and he's a proper nice fella. Good luck Vinny and thanks for all of your efforts

He showed how important a player he is to us on the run in. He may get caught out for speed occasionally but his reading of the game, anticipation, etc but particularly his leadership were vital to us. I always used to feel more confident with Yaya in the team and had the same feeling with Vinny. Good luck to you adopted Manc!

2018/2019 finishing positions: posted early August 2018

Let's have a look at how the predictions went. 

01 City
02 Pool
03 Chelski
04 Super Spurs
05 Toffees
06 Man U
07 Palace
08 Gunners
09 Leicester
10 Watford
11 Burnley
12 WHU
13 Wolves
14 Fulham
15 Cherries
16 Newcastle
17 Saints
18 Seagulls
19 Cardiff
20 Huddersfield

The first 4 OK, but I got carried away with Everton and Palace. Thought both would do better. Got Watford and Wolves roughly right but 'round the wrong way.

I thought Fulham let themselves down. They were as good as Wolves in the Championship and went and bought a load of 'journeymen'. Predicted both Huddersfield and Cardiff to go down.

A great season, with the top two keeping us on edge until the last couple of matches.

As for the promoted next season; well after half-a-dozen games in the Championship last year. Leeds and Boro looked nailed on to go up. Both just blew it. Norwich, Sheff U and one of the Midlanders to do battle with the top brass. Tough league that Championship. Perhaps all 3 could keep up.

Next prediction; August 2019.

Edited by owl sees all

8 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Sane off to Bayern Munich for $70m? I'd hate to see it but its a lot of cash. I still think Sane could become a world class footballer. 23 years old.

At a time when there are 4 different ruling bodies investigating the club, there has to be an element of balancing the books.

To me, City look less of a danger when he isn't playing.

59 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

The only way Pep would let Sane go is if there's an attitude problem

There's the rub. The rumors have it that there have been attitude issues. One would hope things can be worked out. I'd sell Mahrez for a loss before I'd sell Sane for profit.

2 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

The only way Pep would let Sane go is if there's an attitude problem

And 12 months ago he was left out of the German World Cup squad, rumoured to be about his attitude. You could argue it is a coach's job to work through such a problem. It didn't serve Germany well. Will City be worse for losing him?

53 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Books are balanced mate. 2nd highest turnover in the league, no debt

I presumed that City will be doing some spending this summer, so my comment was a forecast and not a critique of past events. Your paranoia is showing through.

9 minutes ago, champers said:

And 12 months ago he was left out of the German World Cup squad, rumoured to be about his attitude. You could argue it is a coach's job to work through such a problem. It didn't serve Germany well. Will City be worse for losing him?

Sane's a great player (not as good this year as he was last year) and we'll be worse off without him, depending who we get in I suppose. Agree the manager has a part to play in sorting out attitude's. Pep will undoubtedly have tried but he won't put the togetherness of the whole squad at risk for one player 

11 minutes ago, champers said:

I presumed that City will be doing some spending this summer, so my comment was a forecast and not a critique of past events. Your paranoia is showing through.

Not paranoia, just being defensive. Is it any wonder on here!! 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Sane's a great player (not as good this year as he was last year) and we'll be worse off without him, depending who we get in I suppose. Agree the manager has a part to play in sorting out attitude's. Pep will undoubtedly have tried but he won't put the togetherness of the whole squad at risk for one player 

I would replace him with Wilfried Zaha in a heartbeat.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, champers said:

I would replace him with Wilfried Zaha in a heartbeat.

Ouch! Not I! A very talented player but injury prone, inconsistent and is not immune to the frequent dive. Best see him with another club.

43 minutes ago, champers said:

It is an amazing feat for City to be challenging for the highest turn over against a team like United. United, with a story to tell of 20 titles and a multitude of cups, built over a quarter of century. Hats off.

23 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Good player but why did United not keep him? And he'll be bladdy expensive I reckon

He's never scored more than 10 goals in a season despite being an out and out striker. He seems a temperamental type as well, maybe like Sane. I'd take the younger Sane with more upside.