The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

3 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

No I haven't taken their word for it. I started by saying it's subjective and only an indicator.

How's about you tell us how much Rashford is worth and when he's sold we'll see who was the nearest

Granted you did point out it was subjective, so I don't know why you are entertaining this nonsense....

Rashford is the perfect case in point. There is no way you can put a market value on him. He is seen as the biggest hope for the future at United, homegrown, and pretty much not for sale at any price. If we did let him go it would be for way over 100M, and that's simply because of what he represents as a club asset. It doesn't mean he's twice as good a player as someone who is 'worth' 50M, it's just his individual circumstances.

On 6/26/2019 at 10:44 AM, mrbojangles said:

I know valuations can be subjective but it's a good indicator of how well our investments have done.

Manchester United squad worth £300m less than Man City and Liverpool FC

Data suggests Manchester City's squad has a market value of £1.05bn - the highest in the world.

Manchester City have assembled the most expensive squad in the world by market value, according to new data released ahead of the new Premier League season.

A report by ESPN fuelled by data provided by Transfermarkt suggests the City squad has a market value of £1.05bn - the highest in the world.

Raheem Sterling (£126m), Kevin De Bruyne (£117m), Leroy Sane (£90m) Bernardo Silva (£90m) and Aymeric Laporte (£67.5m) all add significant contributions to the total.

Manchester City's 26-strong squad therefore has a mean value of around £40.5m.

Their value puts them a little ahead of second-placed Liverpool (£1.0bn) and third-placed Barcelona (£959m) - and miles ahead of ninth-placed Manchester United (£706m).

In order of their respective squad values, the Reds are behind Chelsea (£862m), Atletico Madrid (£841m), Paris Saint-Germain (£830m), Spurs (£793m) and Real Madrid (£785m).

Manchester United's most value players are Paul Pogba (£90m), Marcus Rashford (£72m), Romelu Lukaku (67.5m), David de Gea (£58.5m) and Anthony Martial (£54m), Transfermarkt reports.

Three of the quintet - Pogba, Lukaku and de Gea - have all been linked with summer transfer away from Old Trafford.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-united-squad-worth-300m-16482377

Interesting to put above figs against cost of squads, then you get a more accurate reflection of how good investments were.

Man city      765m    profit of 305m

Utd             608m      "           98m

liverpool      554m     ''           446m

Chelsea       393m      ''          469m

Arse            355m

Spurs          241m      ''          552m

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alfieconn said:

Interesting to put above figs against cost of squads, then you get a more accurate reflection of how good investments were.

Arse            355m

Not sure of the source of those profit values, but surely clubs are looking for a return on their investment in terms of BOTH profit made (and not just in one year, but over a period of years) AND TROPHIES WON.

Since 2008, major trophies won:

Chelsea - 11

Manchester City - 10 

Manchester United - 8 

Arsenal - 3

Liverpool - 2

Leicester City, Wigan Athletic, Swansea City and Birmingham City – 1

Tottenham Hotspur - Zero

Last season, major trophies won:

Manchester City - 3

Chelsea, Liverpool - 1

Arsenal, Manchester United & Tottenham Hotspur - Zero

I think now you have a more accurate reflection of how good investments have been.

13 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Arse            355m

11 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Not sure of the source of those profit values, but surely clubs are looking for a return on their investment in terms of BOTH profit made (and not just in one year, but over a period of years) AND TROPHIES WON.

Chelsea - 11

Manchester City - 10 

Manchester United - 8 

Arsenal - 3

Liverpool - 2

Tottenham Hotspur - Zero

Manchester City - 3

Chelsea, Liverpool - 1

I think now you have a more accurate reflection of how good investments have been.

If your not sure about the source of the profit values then explain which ones are incorrect.

Anyway you've got it spot on BB, as a general rule of thumb the teams that spend the most money win the most trophies, it's not rocket science !

Edited by alfieconn

15 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Chelsea - 11

Manchester City - 10 

Manchester United - 8 

Arsenal - 3

Liverpool - 2

Tottenham Hotspur - Zero

Manchester City - 3

Chelsea, Liverpool - 1

To be fair, i don't know why you are directing your post at me when it was BJ who started the topic about how well City's investments had done, i merely pointed out the fact that to know how well an investment had done you have to know how much that investment cost initially.

4 hours ago, alfieconn said:

If your not sure about the source of the profit values then explain which ones are incorrect.

Anyway you've got it spot on BB, as a general rule of thumb the teams that spend the most money win the most trophies, it's not rocket science !

I didn't doubt or challenge your profit values. Bit defensive there Alfie.

As a general rule of thumb the wealthiest teams throughout history win the most trophies, but Leicester City, Wigan Athletic, Swansea City and Birmingham City are not as wealthy nor spent as much as Tottenham Hotspur but they've more in the past 11 years - funny that.

On 6/29/2019 at 9:19 AM, alfieconn said:

I would rather my club get into the knockout stages of the CL than win the League cup. In fact I'd rather my team got into the CL final, and get a top 4 placing than win both the League cup and the FA cup.

Going on a points system, then:

100 CL winner

..75 CL finalist

..40 CL semies

..20 CL knock out stage

100 EPL champ

..65 EPL 2nd

..50 EPL 3rd

..35 EPL 4th

..40 FACup winner

..15 FACup finalist

..20 League Cup winner

....5 League Cup finalist

..45 Europa winner

..20 Europa finalist

+++

180 City

165 Liverpool

110 Spurs

100 Chelsea

.20 Arsenal

..15 Watford

Edited by owl sees all

^^^^^

100 EPL champ
 65 EPL 2nd
 50 EPL 3rd
 35 EPL 4th
 20 EPL 5th
 10 EPL 6th
  5 EPL 7th

100 CL winner
 75 CL finalist
 40 CL semies
 20 CL knock out stage

40 FACup winner
 15 FACup finalist

.20 League Cup winner
..5 League Cup finalist

45 Europa winner
 20 Europa finalist

2019 season points

180 City
165 Liverpool
110 Spurs
100 Chelsea
 40 Arsenal
 15 Watford
 10 Man Utd
  5 Wolves

Edited by owl sees all

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

^^^^^

100 EPL champ
 65 EPL 2nd
 50 EPL 3rd
 35 EPL 4th
 20 EPL 5th
 10 EPL 6th
  5 EPL 7th

100 CL winner
 75 CL finalist
 40 CL semies
 20 CL knock out stage

40 FACup winner
 15 FACup finalist

.20 League Cup winner
..5 League Cup finalist

45 Europa winner
 20 Europa finalist

2019 season points

180 City
165 Liverpool
110 Spurs
100 Chelsea
 40 Arsenal
 15 Watford
 10 Man Utd
  5 Wolves

Must be quiet times up near the Mekong. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Must be quiet times up near the Mekong. 

City and Liverpool dominated last season. Spurs and Chealsea did well too. But if the points system is applied since the start of the EPL, 27 years ago, Man Utd are way out in front. City are relative newcomers to the elite party (98/99 3rd flight). But set to dominate for next few years IMO.

Quite times all round on the footy threads. Oh! Dear me, almost forgot, Ladies world cup.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2019 at 11:20 AM, owl sees all said:

I would rather my club get into the knockout stages of the CL than win the League cup. In fact I'd rather my team got into the CL final, and get a top 4 placing than win both the League cup and the FA cup.

Going on a points system, then:

100 CL winner

..75 CL finalist

..40 CL semies

..20 CL knock out stage

100 EPL champ

..65 EPL 2nd

..50 EPL 3rd

..35 EPL 4th

..40 FACup winner

..15 FACup finalist

..20 League Cup winner

....5 League Cup finalist

..45 Europa winner

..20 Europa finalist

+++

180 City

165 Liverpool

110 Spurs

100 Chelsea

.20 Arsenal

..15 Watford

Which team are you this week?

• Like 1

Man City to evict Bury FC from Carrington training ground

The cash-strapped Shakers are being served with notice to quit after failing to uphold their agreement with landlords Manchester City.

Manchester City are set to serve Bury with notice to quit their Carrington training ground.

The Blues have allowed the newly-promoted Shakers to use their old base since 2014, when they moved into the new City Football Academy facility.

But City claim the troubled Shakers have failed to fulfil their obligations in the deal, which stipulated that they had to keep the buildings and pitches well maintained.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-evict-bury-fc-16509443

4 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Bit nasty that mrboj....you old Rigsby lol.

Did you read the article Ronnie? We have let them use the facility for free for about 5 years, as long as they took care of the place. They have let the place get run down and even had the water turned off. After several warnings it left City with no choice. We have saved Bury approx. £350,000 what has the other big club down the road done to help Bury?

17 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Did you read the article Ronnie? We have let them use the facility for free for about 5 years, as long as they took care of the place. They have let the place get run down and even had the water turned off. After several warnings it left City with no choice. We have saved Bury approx. £350,000 what has the other big club down the road done to help Bury?

Sounds like a shambles of a club....nearing the end?

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

Or are we just helping to push the price up so United pay over the top ????

I think that's the 'joke' he was trying to make.

It's possible, but we have other targets too. One advantage of being linked with everyone is at least the selling club knows you have other options. 

What's your view on Maguire? 

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

He's ok and English 

Insightful stuff....

Maybe one of the things that might put off Pep is that Maguire-Stones-Walker are used to playing in a back 3 for England, whereas for City it would likely be different.

7 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Insightful stuff....

Maybe one of the things that might put off Pep is that Maguire-Stones-Walker are used to playing in a back 3 for England, whereas for City it would likely be different.

Just so you know I'm not just saying it because now United might get him. This is what I said on the 21st June in response to champers on the Leicester thread:-

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:19 AM, champers said:

Leicester will be much improved after Harry Maguire jogs off. The most overrated player in the Prem. Looks like City will be getting him to replace Kompany. Trading a Rolls Royce for a Lada.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:25 AM, mrbojangles said:

Couldn't agree more mate. I'm not happy about us going for Maguire (especially for that money). However, Pep must be seeing something I'm not, so I guess we'll have to trust his knowledge

2 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Just so you know I'm not just saying it because now United might get him. This is what I said on the 21st June in response to champers on the Leicester thread:-

Fair enough.... I like the fact that he is English, think he is a good CB, and a big aerial threat from corners which we have been missing.

But pound for pound Koulibaly looks like the better player. The indications I've see are that Napoli will want over 100M though. 

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

Or are we just helping to push the price up so United pay over the top ????

Yeah, that occurred to me as well. There's good and bad with this. The good being City won't be overpaying for a player, and the bad being Maguire is a definite upgrade on United's current crop of centre-backs.

4 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Rodri: Manchester City pay £62.6m release clause for Atletico Madrid's Spain midfielder
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48859841

decent squad asset. 

I was about to post that about Rodri. Finally City are about to acquire the Fernandinho cover/replacement I've been moaning about the past 2 or 3 years. Great to see.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 3:43 PM, RickG16 said:

Fair enough.... I like the fact that he is English, think he is a good CB, and a big aerial threat from corners which we have been missing.

But pound for pound Koulibaly looks like the better player. The indications I've see are that Napoli will want over 100M though. 

Utd can afford £100m....one of the few clubs who can.

Edited by RonniePickering22
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, jellydog said:

I was about to post that about Rodri. Finally City are about to acquire the Fernandinho cover/replacement I've been moaning about the past 2 or 3 years. Great to see.

Yes great to see they decided against Rice ???? 

A really positive Copa America for Gabriel Jesus. He got more minutes due to Neymar being out, as well as Richarlison missing time with the mumps. Scored some goals and generally looked sharp. Sent off with two yellows in the final but no harm done.

Apparently only the one goal, today, but still really sharp.

Edited by jellydog
  • Like 1