The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Current status of Liverpool  fan's petition to review goalline technology is 504 of them have signed up. Seriously.

https://www.change.org/p/kenny-dalglish-review-of-100-accurate-goal-line-technology-in-liverpool-v-man-city-game

29 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Real Madrid sign Man City midfielder Brahim Diaz, shame as that's another good youngster lost to the Premiership, still i suppose when a big club come calling a player isn't going to turn them down !

i think it's quite right that these youngsters are leaving.  If they are not getting a chance at the top level here they should go elsewhere or their career will stagnate.  very sad for English football and a poor reflection on what the premier league has become.  Too much money, no decent cap on foreign players, a huge gap in resource and basically two leagues competing in one league.  i'm also sick of hearing about how theres no easy games in the premier league!!  Wake up and look at the points difference between the top six and the rest and lets dispel that nonsense right now.  At the end of the season the gap will be huge as it has become in recent years.  Put a cap on foreign players and force clubs to have to bring youngsters through.  Sancho is making a mockery of our system here.  Dortmund get him for nothing and he's already a star in the Bundesliga.  What do English clubs do...pull out the cheque book, buy another seasoned pro whilst the young talent will continue to go abroad.  And now the trend is set.  And this not not just a City thing, it's an EPL thing, lets make that quite clear. Its about a league with too much money, owners demanding instant success which doesn't afford managers the time to develop a squad and we are now seeing what will become a steady exodus of our young talent.

Hopefully no one will be stupid enough to throw in the "well look at how we did in the world cup" line, because that's the biggest joke of all.  Basically, we got incredibly lucky with the draw, managed to beat the crap/poor sides and lost all three time to the good teams.  Next thing theres talk of an open top bus and new years honors!!  How sad is that!!

Edited by carmine
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Well, if Brahim Diaz couldn't get much pitch time at City, why should RM give him more?

I can't make this one out! I really rated this lad. Couldn't he have gone out on loan somewhere?

Yes this is a strange one.  I get the whole Real Madrid thing, the club that every player wants to play for but a very strange choice indeed, although Real Madrid do look like a squad moving into a period of transition.

Edited by carmine
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Well, if Brahim Diaz couldn't get much pitch time at City, why should RM give him more?

Totally agree. Weird one unless he just wanted to go back to Spain. Still, very lucrative for City. Upto 22 million quid and 15% of any profits if sold (40% if to Man United)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

Totally agree. Weird one unless he just wanted to go back to Spain. Still, very lucrative for City. Upto 22 million quid and 15% of any profits if sold (40% if to Man United)

I get the whole Sancho thing. This one i just don't understand but as you say, very lucrative for City.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, carmine said:

i think it's quite right that these youngsters are leaving.  If they are not getting a chance at the top level here they should go elsewhere or their career will stagnate.  very sad for English football and a poor reflection on what the premier league has become.  Too much money, no decent cap on foreign players, a huge gap in resource and basically two leagues competing in one league.  i'm also sick of hearing about how theres no easy games in the premier league!!  Wake up and look at the points difference between the top six and the rest and lets dispel that nonsense right now.  At the end of the season the gap will be huge as it has become in recent years.  Put a cap on foreign players and force clubs to have to bring youngsters through.  Sancho is making a mockery of our system here.  Dortmund get him for nothing and he's already a star in the Bundesliga.  What do English clubs do...pull out the cheque book, buy another seasoned pro whilst the young talent will continue to go abroad.  And now the trend is set.  And this not not just a City thing, it's an EPL thing, lets make that quite clear. Its about a league with too much money, owners demanding instant success which doesn't afford managers the time to develop a squad and we are now seeing what will become a steady exodus of our young talent.

In the main I agree but not on the cap. As Pep said a couple of years ago, England need a proper competition for youngsters to play in, instead of playing U21's, U23's etc in front of empty stadiums. We need to be able to have a Man City B, Man United B, Liverpool B etc playing in a competitive man's league i.e championship or League 1

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I can't make this one out! I really rated this lad. Couldn't he have gone out on loan somewhere?

In Spain dont they all own another club? Real Madrid Castilla

Unlike the English football league system, reserve teams in Spain play in the same league system as their senior team rather than a separate league. Reserve teams, however, cannot play in the same division as their senior team. Therefore, Real Madrid Castilla are ineligible for promotion to the Primera División. Reserve teams are also no longer permitted to enter the Copa del Rey. In addition, only under-23 players, or under-25 players with a professional contract, can switch between senior and reserve teams.

Seems like Zinedine Zidane (2014–16) for a couple of years

Edited by ChipButty

26 minutes ago, carmine said:

Yes this is a strange one.  I get the whole Real Madrid thing, the club that every player wants to play for but a very strange choice indeed, although Real Madrid do look like a squad moving into a period of transition.

Real Madrid are looking like a club who need an injection of young talent. I don't think that's lost on the talented young players out there...and their agents.

2 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

In the main I agree but not on the cap. As Pep said a couple of years ago, England need a proper competition for youngsters to play in, instead of playing U21's, U23's etc in front of empty stadiums. We need to be able to have a Man City B, Man United B, Liverpool B etc playing in a competitive man's league i.e championship or League 1

There used to be one; it was called the Central League and was a reserve team league. The Football Combination was the Southern equivalent. Matches were played on Saturday afternoons at the same stadium the first team played on. Young hopefuls, older players out of favour and first teamers coming back from injury made up the team, so it was mixed age football. While this system was in place England won the World Cup and Aston Villa, Liverpool, Man Utd and Nottingham Forest all won the European Cup. 

Now young players don't play so much, they mostly sit and watch from the bench. When they do play, it is away from the main stadium and against players the same age.

You can look back at history to avoid making the same mistakes, but you can also look at what worked well and try to replicate it.

Edited by champers
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, carmine said:

I get the whole Sancho thing. This one i just don't understand but as you say, very lucrative for City.

But it's not lucrative if they have to now spend 50 or 60m to replace him in the future, such as what happened with Sancho, sold him for 8m and bought Mahrez for 60m,so it's cost them 52m for a player to play in the same position and who is 9 years older plus Mahrezs value has now depreciated and Sanchos value has increased so that another chunk of money that they have lost. i thought that was their business plan 10 years ago when the new owners took over, i.e. bring players through the academy to save money on expensive buys !

Edited by alfieconn
  • Like 2

Just now, mrbojangles said:

No I didn't

I said it above

Yeah you mentioned it briefly... but it didn't attract the ridicule it deserved! 

Well now we know for sure. There are only two teams in the top 6 dedicated to fully developing young players. City have all the coaching and facilities, but lack the balls to actually play these kids in enough meaningful fixtures. Essentially the city academy is a factory which produces a product to be sold on. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Yeah you mentioned it briefly...

Did you want me to write a book on it?

I mentioned the detail which is 40% of profit if he goes to United. Good clause for City as we would take a good lump of money off you if he went to United

19 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

City have all the coaching and facilities, but lack the balls to actually play these kids in enough meaningful fixtures. Essentially the city academy is a factory which produces a product to be sold on. 

Its good business. .Not all will be good enough. The diamonds we will try to keep and the rest we will sell. It subsides the academy.

2 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I mentioned the detail which is 40% of profit if he goes to United. Good clause for City as we would take a good lump of money off you if he went to United

You can say what you want. I was just surprised nobody else had ****** themselves laughing yet. 

So to get this straight - you feel no shame at all with the paranoia it takes to put in that kind of clause? It's basically a public admission that you are looking over your shoulder at a team in sixth place.

It may make tactical sense... but where is your pride? If there was ever a move that summed up the small time Noisy Neighbours it is this. 

12 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Why would city specify one club ?

Edited by alfieconn

4 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

You can say what you want. I was just surprised nobody else had ****** themselves laughing yet. 

So to get this straight - you feel no shame at all with the paranoia it takes to put in that kind of clause? It's basically a public admission that you are looking over your shoulder at a team in sixth place.

It may make tactical sense... but where is your pride? If there was ever a move that summed up the small time Noisy Neighbours it is this. 

Blimey. Your Ole' s rise from the ashes has made you a bit giddy. Club's put clauses in all the time. Particularly where rivals are concerned. If he goes to you we cash in, which makes it even better for us. Funded by United.

15 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Its good business. .Not all will be good enough. The diamonds we will try to keep and the rest we will sell. It subsides the academy.

Your talking like you wanted to sell him because he wasn't good enough, isn't it the case that it was his decision to leave for a big club ?

Edited by alfieconn

14 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Why would we feel shame? City fans will love the clause.

5 hours ago, carmine said:

Hopefully no one will be stupid enough to throw in the "well look at how we did in the world cup" line, because that's the biggest joke of all.  Basically, we got incredibly lucky with the draw, managed to beat the crap/poor sides and lost all three time to the good teams.  Next thing theres talk of an open top bus and new years honors!!  How sad is that!!

Not all English clubs do this Carms ????