The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

On 8/5/2019 at 12:20 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

Bravo has trimmed that beard on his return from Asia. Agree that he has been really excellent this pre-season and even more impressive considering he was out all last season with a ruptured achilles tendon. If he started vs WHU I'd be ok with that, he's been that

Compilation of Bravo's excellent pre-season...the youtube vid title is in very poor taste though

19 hours ago, RickG16 said:

The changing room among groups of Spanish players no problem. But spoken freely as the language of choice among the coaches, like we saw in the documentary.... sorry, there is something mot quite right about that.

They're all Spanish for god's sake. Of course they're gonna speak Spanish to each other. Have you ever heard of lost in translation? Much easier to get your exact point across by speaking in your native tongue than in broken English in which something could be misunderstood or not understood at all. I'm in meetings all the time with Saudi's who all have different levels of English and sometimes they start speaking Arabic with each other to ensure those with lesser command of English understand

17 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I've worked out the EPL finishing positions for the coming season and it's City to get the hat-trick. Utd are set to finish 9th.

You can't do that until Levy day and its shaping up to be his most classic yet!

20 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Clue is in the name of the study Mr BJ.... Premier League SQUADS. Most squads are vast and well over 22 players, and I think we know the ones who don't play much are usually young English under-23 players.

I am talking about genuine opportunities in the first team, which we are making room for.

You're not too keen on facts are you Rick? Trying to change the facts to suit your view

dig.png

Whilst we await Rick emptying another wheel barrow

Looks like a good bit of business has been done. Don't know how we convinced Juventus to pay £34m for Danilo and we only have to pay the £60m fee for Cancelo over 3 years.

Joao Cancelo has signed a six year deal for City from Juventus, with Danilo going to Juventus.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

You're not too keen on facts are you Rick? Trying to change the facts to suit your view

dig.png

The fact is the point I raised was on English first team players. The study you presented took into account the whole squad, so the data is skewed because it doesn't relate to the original point. 

Nobody cares about local kid Joe Bloggs, squad number 49.

6 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

They're all Spanish for god's sake. Of course they're gonna speak Spanish to each other. Have you ever heard of lost in translation? Much easier to get your exact point across by speaking in your native tongue than in broken English in which something could be misunderstood or not understood at all. I'm in meetings all the time with Saudi's who all have different levels of English and sometimes they start speaking Arabic with each other to ensure those with lesser command of English understand

It's about the coaching staff setting an example to these groups of young foreign players. Jose's staff were nearly all Portuguese, and they had an 'English only' policy in the training ground and in the dugout. Portuguese was only allowed in social settings.

Sounds like an interesting job you have... I wonder what the food is like in Saudi... if it involves kebabs, I'm in!

On 8/6/2019 at 9:42 AM, mrbojangles said:

Oh my giddy aunt. The arrogance of United fans. Now you believe United made the premier league what it is today.

It's not even a debate. We won the first 2 Premier Leagues, and 7 of the first 10. 2 of the other 3 times we were runners-up.

Why are you kidding yourself?

The only question is whether the Premier League was a vehicle for Manchester United, or Manchester United was a vehicle for the Premier League. 

17 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Nobody cares about local kid Joe Bloggs, squad number 49.

I confess to being at a total loss as to your point because earlier you said this:-

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 3:02 PM, RickG16 said:

I'm just happy to support a club with clear principles on youth development and the desire to create an English spine to the team.

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

I confess to being at a total loss as to your point because earlier you said this:-

You know your stuff but you really have a childish way of debating.... trying to trip people up by taking things out of context.

When I said "nobody cares".... I mean that having a lot of kids in your squad who never play means nothing. It is about giving them real first team opportunities.

15 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

You know your stuff but you really have a childish way of debating.... trying to trip people up by taking things out of context.

Sorry if you believe it's childish by giving you facts and posting your quotes with conflicting messages but it's a forum and you can only go off the written word.

The overall point is that United fans believe they are still living in the class of 92 era and bringing a constant stream of english youth through the system, when in fact you are not doing that any better than the majority of the Prem clubs.

You say the figures are skewed because it takes into account the whole squad. Well if you were bringing through as many English youth as you think, your 26% English players should be well over 50%. What it's actually showing paints a dimmer picture than first thought

1 minute ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Sounds like Sane has got the same/similar injury as Mad Mendy, lets hope for footballing sake he makes a recovery. I'm sure we can all agree he's a really talented exciting player that we'd like to see for another 10 years or so.

Dirty scousers did that on purpose, in a bladdy charity match. Looks like 6 months minimum

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

How many full games will your young superstar Foden get this year City fans?

Don't know Ronnie. Maybe more or maybe less. Hopefully more but it could be less. Then again, more isn't always better than less but in the main, more is usually better than less. So let's hope it's more. But as I say, it could be less

• Haha 1

On 8/8/2019 at 12:33 PM, mrbojangles said:

Whilst we await Rick emptying another wheel barrow

Looks like a good bit of business has been done. Don't know how we convinced Juventus to pay £34m for Danilo and we only have to pay the £60m fee for Cancelo over 3 years.

Joao Cancelo has signed a six year deal for City from Juventus, with Danilo going to Juventus.

It was worth the wait wasn't it - think we got a good deal there. The last time i was REALLY excited about a City signing was Bernardo and look how well that turned out. Cancelo will definitely be a player going forward but let's hope he can defend. Danilo was a good squad player who never let us down but he rarely started, he was supposed to be able to play central midfield holding (never trusted to do that), LB (he was poor at LB) and RB where i thought he was decent at times. Hopefully Cancelo will make Walker improve or take his position. Could even see Pep playing 3 at the back (Walker-Stones or Otamendi-Laporte) in some games with Cancelo and Zinchencko as Wingbacks bombing forward.

So we lost Kompany and Delph but gained Rodri, Cancelo, Angelino and the goalkeeper with the Terry Thomas front teeth. Kompany was excellent but rarely played, while Delph went backwards last season. Rodri looks like he's going to be a player. Cancelo; time will tell. Angelino i can't see holding down LB but if he doesn't come good we'll sell for a nice profit. If one of our two main goalies keels over we now have an experienced pair of hands to come in; we were maybe a bit fortunate to get through the whole of last season without Ederson getting injured and Muric stepping up to play the cup games in Bravo's achilles-knack absence  Nice transfer business!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Well if you were bringing through as many English youth as you think, your 26% English players should be well over 50%. What it's actually showing paints a dimmer picture than first thought

Not at all. The difference in our squad, as you might see this season, is that a lot of the fringe players are foreign, and the ones in the first XI are young and English. 

Anyway my Saudi friend, let's see how the season pans out!

27 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Don't know Ronnie. Maybe more or maybe less. Hopefully more but it could be less. Then again, more isn't always better than less but in the main, more is usually better than less. So let's hope it's more. But as I say, it could be less

If we had a topic of 'Football Forum Post of the Season' that'd get my vote right now ????

39 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Ahhh eat yer scraps an shuddup....and no sauce that's for paying customers!

Gundogan has signed a new contract extension with City, till 2023.

Excellent 2nd half of last season deputising in central midfield for Fernandinho (though he was bloody rubbish last week vs the scouse gits).

Not my favourite, but will prove useful again this season.