BANGKOK 21 March 2019 22:41
Jonathan Fairfield

The official Manchester City thread 2019

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

MARK BATTENBURG: Referee may not have given Otamendi hand ball had video monitor been working... it was not a clear and obvious penalty 

Just read it was illegal under UEFA’s own rules for th VAR team to have given the decision. From the article I read “UEFA say that subjective decisions like the handball against Otamendi must be made via an on-field review, rather than by the official in the control centre.”

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Funny how we have different opinion's but I thought the handball was a rubbish decision. He didn't intentionally move his hand to the ball, he was trying to move it away. 

Oh for god's sake man was handball all pissin' day. Just unlucky.

Fortunately you guys weren't too unlucky last night, couple o' jammy goals again 😉

Opps sorry, nearly forgot to ask, did the regular one get any minutes last night ?

Edited by alfieconn

10 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Funny how we have different opinion's but I thought the handball was a rubbish decision. He didn't intentionally move his hand to the ball, he was trying to move it away. The Fernandinho one I'd have to agree with. Now VAR is around it's stupid to tug on a shirt or handle someone in the box. But yeah, he was looking for it

It's wrong, but if the hand or arm make contact with the ball it is now almost always a pen. There should be intent but refs have universally decided they are not going to make a judgement on it. At least they are consistent.

4 minutes ago, champers said:

It's wrong, but if the hand or arm make contact with the ball it is now almost always a pen. There should be intent but refs have universally decided they are not going to make a judgement on it. At least they are consistent.

I don't know about that Champs. I've seen a number of handball incidents that were waved away by refs this season. No penalty, no yellow card, nothing. Considered inadvertent contact and play on.

1 hour ago, BangrakBob said:

Oh for god's sake man was handball all pissin' day. Just unlucky.

Give over

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alfieconn said:

Opps sorry, nearly forgot to ask, did the regular one get any minutes last night ?

City squeezed Fernandinho Silva KdB Gundogan and Bernardo in to midfield. Foden isn't at their level yet and as it was an important european game so Phil Foden was on the bench with Danilo Kompany Sane Mahrez and Zinchenko. The game didn't exactly go our way due to 2 disputed penalties and a red card to Otamendi. We had to gamble on kompany coming  on with Silva being sacrificed at 10 men. Later after we'd levelled it 2v2 Pep took off still-struggling KdB to bring on Zinchenko at LB, to move Laporte alongside Kompany with Fernandinho moving in to midfield to shore it up. City's other substitution was Sane for Aguero. So Phil Foden wasn't called upon but thanks for your interest. 

Ps. Any need for you to raise Foden after every game? It's  really become petty and childish from someone who professes to know a bit about football but then i guess that's what we expect from you.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 9:07 PM, champers said:

The article confirms much of what I say. City may face the Welsh lad who jumped ship last month at Schalke tonight. Diaz and Sancho have also done a runner (yes I know Diaz is Spanish).

2 homegrown keepers were sold in the summer, leaving 3 non homegrown keepers in the first team squad. It is ironic that having practically given Hart away they may end up paying over the odds for his Burnley team mate Pope. You couldn't make it up.

You stated earlier "They need young English talent to replace the academy ones who have scarpered. Very odd strategy". Well thats not correct is it. In fact the 4 players have no similarity to Diaz, Sancho and Matondo, the "academy ones who have scarpered" who are wide players where we are well stocked. Rice is being looked upon as a potential Fernandinho replacement. We have only 1 LB on our books, Mendy who is almost always injured and we've been looking for an additional LB since kolorov and Clichy left 2 summers back. The palace player is being looked at to replace probably Danilo whos been so so or Walker who has slipped this season. Pope is a talent and is being looked at to replace 35 year old Bravo. Stop making it up will you!

Edited by Bredbury Blue

3 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

You stated earlier "They need young English talent to replace the academy ones who have scarpered. Very odd strategy". Well thats not correct is it. In fact the 4 players have no similarity to Diaz, Sancho and Matondo, the "academy ones who have scarpered" who are wide players where we are well stocked. Rice is being looked upon as a potential Fernandinho replacement. We have only 1 LB on our books, Mendy who is almost always injured and we've been looking for an additional LB since kolorov and Clichy left 2 summers back. The palace player is being looked at to replace probably Danilo whos been so so or Walker who has slipped this season. Pope is a talent and is being looked at to replace 35 year old Bravo. Stop making it up will you!

The point you are missing is that because homegrown players have left City are now limited to bringing in other homegrown players. It is a numbers thing and not a positional thing. If you had enough homegrown players in the squad then the new keeper, the new full backs and the Fernandinho cover could come from anywhere in the world. But you don't so you can't. Four out, four in.

31 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

City squeezed Fernandinho Silva KdB Gundogan and Bernardo in to midfield. Foden isn't at their level yet and as it was an important european game so Phil Foden was on the bench with Danilo Kompany Sane Mahrez and Zinchenko. The game didn't exactly go our way due to 2 disputed penalties and a red card to Otamendi. We had to gamble on kompany coming  on with Silva being sacrificed at 10 men. Later after we'd levelled it 2v2 Pep took off still-struggling KdB to bring on Zinchenko at LB, to move Laporte alongside Kompany with Fernandinho moving in to midfield to shore it up. City's other substitution was Sane for Aguero. So Phil Foden wasn't called upon but thanks for your interest. 

Ps. Any need for you to raise Foden after every game? It's  really become petty and childish from someone who professes to know a bit about football but then i guess that's what we expect from you.

Don’t feed 

7 hours ago, champers said:

The point you are missing is that because homegrown players have left City are now limited to bringing in other homegrown players. It is a numbers thing and not a positional thing. If you had enough homegrown players in the squad then the new keeper, the new full backs and the Fernandinho cover could come from anywhere in the world. But you don't so you can't. Four out, four in.

Ok i go back to my question of a while back on the constant knocking of Diaz, Sancho and Rotondo 'scarpering'.

City have a very strong squad full of experienced internationals. We have a very talented 17 year old. If he's deemed good enough City will slowly bring him through over a period (i.e. Foden). 17 year old has several players ahead of him but wants to play first team football NOW but he's  not as good (yet) as the players in the squad so he wants to leave. City want him to stay. What can City do to make him not leave?

Eufa's statement clarifying the 2nd goal.

"The second decision was also correctly made on the basis of the Laws of the Game (Law 11 – Offside) which stipulates: “if a player in an offside position is moving towards the ball with the intention of playing the ball and is fouled before playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the foul is penalised as it has occurred before the offside offence”."

Apparently Willy Caballero will be in goal for Chelsea for the Carabooboo Cup final ? Say its so !:tongue:

54 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Apparently Willy Caballero will be in goal for Chelsea for the Carabooboo Cup final ? Say its so !:tongue:

Let's hope it doesn't go to penalties 🙄