The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

On 8/11/2019 at 9:51 AM, mrbojangles said:

...we looked sharper in the second half. West Ham are a lot better than the score line suggests

I don't think that was or is condescending. 0v5 flatters us - we weren't that good until we got the 3rd and then holes appeared in WHU midfield and defence. First half they had our playing out from the back well worked out, we were struggling a bit. Many of our players were below par at that stage and until we improved 2nd half.

Had Ederson not made that double save at 0v2 and it gone to 1v2 with the home crowd buzzing after the NO GOAL VAR it could have ended differently. Pep said the same in his postmatch interview. If we don't improve next week on that performance we could have problems. It was pleasing to see Ederson, Walker, Stones, Zinchenko, Jesus and especially Mahrez perform. Up until Sterling scored id have took him off (Pep never does though does he cause he's always got a goal in him) for Bernardo as nothing was going down our left - and then he gets a hat trick.

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

We lost legend Kompany (best rightsided CB, club captain and honorary Manc) and experienced Delph. We brought in 2 lads new to the Premier and it takes time to settle (i.e. Bernardo 2 seasons back and Mahrez last season didnt play to their usual levels) while some never do. So it remains to be seen if we strengthened or not, doesn't it (fingers crossed - we haven't bought a dud for a while).

Kompany! Been injured for ages but was a bloody good player.

Delph? Decent squad player but you chose to sell him.

Just be honest. With all that oil money you can buy the best players, best manager, best training facilities., best backroom staff.

You are going to dominate for years.

Liverpool now have VAR to contend with so will lose a lot of points they got last time.

A few others will be challenging for the CL places.

A few others challenging for Europa League.

The rest trying not to get relegated.

Edited by fishtank

27 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Kompany! Been injured for ages but was a bloody good player.

Doesn't take away the fact that Kompany probably was our best defender, was fit at the end of the season and contributed immensely, and is fit now. A huge loss.

28 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Delph? Decent squad player but you chose to sell him.

Delph i think we can afford to let go. Zinchenko has stepped up to cover LB and Delph rarely started in midfield. Brilliant 2 years ago and will always be recognised for that by City fans (and for his as gruff down to earth personality). He was a good squad member and by all accounts one of THE big personalities in the changing room.

29 minutes ago, fishtank said:

With all that oil money you can buy the best players, best manager, best training facilities., best backroom staff.

You are going to dominate for years.

I think we have the best manager in the game; he'll be a bugger to replace - which could be the end of a domination you refer to. Think a team in red will have something to say about this domination.

By now you should have realised that we are selective with our buys and haven't for some years thrown the cash around on the most expensive purchases - we leave that to liverpool  and ManU who amazingly don't get criticised (as we would). 

Our facilities are already excellent thanks.

32 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Liverpool now have VAR to contend with so will lose a lot of points they got last time.

That's a ridiculous comment that is pure speculation (and most likely nonsense). Why will VAR affect one team more than any other team?

4 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Apparently, Liverpool have Gomez & AOC back both like new signings, a fit Lallana will be like a new signing, Rhian Brewster being back from injury is like signing a star in the making.  Load of <deleted> in my opinion.

Agree on the country mile win

Is this meant to be some kind of sob story? You could have easily strengthened more, but you made the decision that you already have a lot of good players on the bench + you wanted to inject a bit of youth. And / or the targets you wanted didn't become available.

Regardless, I believe it will be a thirty year drought if you fail to win the title again this year. Frankly, if you don't do it this season I'd just give up. Just play in the Champions League instead. After all, you love pleasuring yourself so much thinking about your wonderful heritage and romance in that competition. 

6 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Is this meant to be some kind of sob story? You could have easily strengthened more, but you made the decision that you already have a lot of good players on the bench + you wanted to inject a bit of youth. And / or the targets you wanted didn't become available.

Regardless, I believe it will be a thirty year drought if you fail to win the title again this year. Frankly, if you don't do it this season I'd just give up. Just play in the Champions League instead. After all, you love pleasuring yourself so much thinking about your wonderful heritage and romance in that competition. 

Yeah boohoo.....I'm lying in a pool of tears. 

30 years it will be, your maths are outstanding.

So bitter Rick, must be headless, you can't throw your repetitive "but you haven't won a trophy in xxx years" this season.  How does it feel being so irrelevant in football these days? 

Edited by BangrakBob

15 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Agree on the country mile win

I seem to remember you saying the very same thing last season and that 25 points difference the season before was too much to pull back. Look how that turned out. Stop with the woe is me attitude Bob

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

I seem to remember you saying the very same thing last season and that 25 points difference the season before was too much to pull back. Look how that turned out. Stop with the woe is me attitude Bob

yeah right, so when you pretend everyone is giving you a run for your money it's your opinion. When my opinion is you will win it again, I'm all sad, gay and shit. More to my life than giving two <deleted> to be honest. 

1 hour ago, BangrakBob said:

yeah right, so when you pretend everyone is giving you a run for your money it's your opinion. When my opinion is you will win it again, I'm all sad, gay and shit. More to my life than giving two <deleted> to be honest. 

You said we'd win it by a country mile.

54 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

You said we'd win it by a country mile.

No that other fella did, but I do tend to agree. You have 2 teams capable of winning the league.

And I guess the other fellas reference to a country mile was the distance to the rest of the pack not us.  

36 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

No that other fella did, but I do tend to agree. You have 2 teams capable of winning the league.

And I guess the other fellas reference to a country mile was the distance to the rest of the pack not us.  

Champions League winner waving the flag.

21 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

BB is far more patronizing, Jangles vails it better ????

Jesus, long overdue recognition. Thanks Bob.

Never been patronising about WHU Chelsea Newcastle though but yep definitely can be patronising about ManU Liverpool Spurs (and Arsenal a few years back).

1 hour ago, RonniePickering22 said:

One thing for sure is their bench will be much better than ours.

Not another one...... is that a white flag I see emerging?

I think you'll find the substitutes won't be on the pitch. So get on with it and try and take some points off them. 

7 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Not another one...... is that a white flag I see emerging?

I think you'll find the substitutes won't be on the pitch. So get on with it and try and take some points off them. 

Missed my point entirely.....was referring to Son Alli and Sessegnon being unavailable.

When we have a fully fit squad our bench will be superb as well....in any case we'll be looking to nick at least one point from them...no question about that!

• Like 1

Obviously happy City dropped points but I just didn't like the way the game ended with the VAR decision.

It was an exciting finish but the emotion of the winning goal and then it being ruled wasn't quite right for me, although it probably was the right decision.

At the end of the day, it take away from the viewing experience, and I am a believer that decision roughly even themselves out over the season. But the pressure is on from these big money clubs to stamp out errors, and that's why I think it is here to stay.

Feels odd being uneasy with a decision which cost City 3 points, but in the long run I think fans are the losers with VAR.

40 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Obviously happy City dropped points but I just didn't like the way the game ended with the VAR decision.

It was an exciting finish but the emotion of the winning goal and then it being ruled wasn't quite right for me, although it probably was the right decision.

At the end of the day, it take away from the viewing experience, and I am a believer that decision roughly even themselves out over the season. But the pressure is on from these big money clubs to stamp out errors, and that's why I think it is here to stay.

Feels odd being uneasy with a decision which cost City 3 points, but in the long run I think fans are the losers with VAR.

I thought it was very exciting and very fair. 

COYS!!

Rooster

disagree, the new law has makes it v clear,  in the build up to a goal,  v easy no interpretation needed.  the ball touch's a hand ,,, HANDBALL   none of this was it hAND TO BALL OR BALL TO HAND ,, its done and dusted simple and clean without any lingering grey areas.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, RickG16 said:

If the accidental hand ball rule hadn't been changed for this

season then VAR wouldn't have ruled the goal out.

So it's more to do with the hand ball rule change than it is with 

VAR.

• Like 2

barring that i thought you battered us,,and u must be feeling hard done by howwever playin your lot is all about hanging in there and taking the opp's thats given and theres no denying  that we did.. oh just a thought  I saw chrissy waddle do to guy ceaser at highbury what sterling did to walker peters and ceaser lost the plot and all but disapeared,, have to say walker peters Never shyed and in the end stood tall, big up to the kid. 

2 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

have to say walker peters Never shyed and in the end stood tall, big up to the kid. 

Yeah, KWP had a tough game but deserves some credit for putting

in a shift, unlike Eriksen, Winks & Kane who were the most ineffective in a Spurs shirt.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wilai said:

Personally, I don't mind VAR as such. It's the change to the hand ball/ball to hand rule that pisses me off. Wolves last week and now City have both had perfectly good goals ruled out. 

If that had happened in South America or even Italy or Spain, there would have been a riot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3 minus 2 said:

disagree, the new law has makes it v clear,  in the build up to a goal,  v easy no interpretation needed.  the ball touch's a hand ,,, HANDBALL   none of this was it hAND TO BALL OR BALL TO HAND ,, its done and dusted simple and clean without any lingering grey areas.

What constitues 'build up to a goal', the goalie's forward kick.?

• Like 1