The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

3 hours ago, wilai said:

Personally, I don't mind VAR as such. It's the change to the hand ball/ball to hand rule that pisses me off. Wolves last week and now City have both had perfectly good goals ruled out. 

Wils if the ball doesn't hit his arm it doesn't get to Jesus and probably goes for a throw, certainly more of a handball than the one against Sissoko in the CL but i don't recall you discussing that one ????

Also have to laugh at Murphy's comment "It wouldn't even be seen if we didn't have VAR." derrrr, wasn't that one of the reasons VAR was brought in ? 

Edited by alfieconn
  • Like 2

Thought we played really well against a team that WILL be top 3, absolutely battered them. Created loads of chances, but we were wasteful, there was some good defending and excellent saves but we really should have finished them off. 

Around about 70 minutes we looked like we'd run out of ideas. Was really pissed off he took Rodri (excellent) off for Gundogan (so so), and Mahrez couldn't do anything right, so wasn't impressed with Peps rubbadubs.

Spurs couldn't get out of their half with our pressing, barely saw their forwards (Kane was the invisible man) but scored 2 from 2 chances which is impressive, and must feel very happy to get away with a point from that performance.

City fans have seen that game countless times, where we batter a team but they score 1 from 1 or 2 from 2. We've got to be better out closing out games. 

Advantage liverpool.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Its this type of arrogance after two games which fuels my desire for your side to suffer a host of injuries this season to level the playing field somewhat.

Arrogance? No. Just my opinion that the title will be contested by City, Liverpool and Spurs. I'm  sure you are of the same opinion but just having a whinge.

We dropped 2 points, at home, when we should have won, hence Advantage Liverpool.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

4 hours ago, sotsira said:

If the accidental hand ball rule hadn't been changed for this

season then VAR wouldn't have ruled the goal out.

So it's more to do with the hand ball rule change than it is with 

VAR.

My point was in relation to the viewing experience, not the decision.

In the cold (warm) light of day I'm just glad City dropped points.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Arrogance? No. Just my opinion that the title will be contested by City, Liverpool and Spurs. I'm  sure you are of the same opinion but just having a whinge.

We dropped 2 points, at home, when we should have won, hence Advantage Liverpool.

Wasn't a reference to personal arrogance....simply a justified one based on squad strength.

We'll suffer a key injury or two and drop points whilst you won't.

Liverpool need to be fortunate in that regard as well to challenge for the title.

City would need three defenders or midfielders out for instance for it to really hurt....that's the difference.

If we are lucky with injuries however....anything can happen.

22 minutes ago, Mikisteel said:

Maybe as it's for charity they allow a 2nd ball which can then be auctioned like the 1st. 

And in the Champions League games. Don't really think that's the reason, but thanks for input.

1 hour ago, Mikisteel said:

That game was great. If they can just start with Mahrez as much as possibble. A 3rd will not be there at the end.

Didn't get your point about Mahrez but assume it was sarcasm.

Talking of great games. The Villa vs Bournemouth one was a cracker; end to end, no midfield. If you get a chance  to  catch the rerun it's worth it.

14 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Disappointed with the result, should have got more out of it. VAR was cruel but right with the new law. However, we should have had a penalty earlier and VAR did nothing for us at that moment. Oh well. Not such a boring league after all eh!!

Is it just me or were the Etihad crowd getting a bit ratty towards the end? I think they were growing impatient with the build up and wanted you to lump it forward. You wouldn't think they'd complain about a style of play which has given your club it's best years! 

5 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

I have to admit mrboj you were right about VAR.

Actually Ronnie we do not know if mrboj was right or not unless he confirms VAR is as he was imagining it.

I was also pro-VAR being introduced but it definitively is NOT as I imagined it to be - I thought it would be VAR on request by the ref as per Rugby Union so I am a bit pissed off with the current format but i'll get used to it and i'm sure it will work out in time.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

7 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Is it just me or were the Etihad crowd getting a bit ratty towards the end? I think they were growing impatient with the build up and wanted you to lump it forward. You wouldn't think they'd complain about a style of play which has given your club it's best years! 

Ratty and impatient maybe, frustrated definitely, but no the crowd were not complaining about the style of play (why would you think that?). A change was required to try to gee things up and get the goal, and for me Pep was a bit slow to react with his rubbadubs and sometimes he is too loyal to certain players (Gundogan being one who should have been hooked).

No the crowd wouldn't have wanted us to lump it forward - who to? Dzeko was the last player we could lump it forward to and he left several seasons ago.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

13 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

I have to admit mrboj you were right about VAR.

I'm still for VAR Ronnie. Yes a couple of major decisions have gone marginally against us but as long as they are correct then it's fine by me. We all knew it wouldn't be spot on at first and would take time, along with some tweaks to make it better but I'm impressed with the way they are not stopping / starting all the time. It's keeping the football flowing better than I thought it would.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alfieconn said:

City don't win so i see the excuses thread is back in full working order, perhaps you need to look at your defence rather than blaming everything else ????

Ive just read the thread back until Saturday but it's not clear to me what excuses you are referring to. 

There are no excuses. We absolutely battered Spurs but failed to win because we were wasteful and we conceded 2 out of 2 chances (Ederson should have done better). This guy puts my 'battered you' more eloquently. Enjoy the read Alfie.

Why Man City’s draw with Tottenham still showed they could be stronger than ever

Despite the freak result, City dominated a top-six rival like never before under Guardiola

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/man-city-tottenham-spurs-news-pep-guardiola-a9064786.html

1 minute ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Ive just read the thread back until Saturday but it's not clear to me what excuses you are referring to. 

There are no excuses. We absolutely battered Spurs but failed to win because we were wasteful and we conceded 2 out of 2 chances (Ederson should have done better). This guy puts my 'battered you' more eloquently. Enjoy the read Alfie.

Why Man City’s draw with Tottenham still showed they could be stronger than ever

Despite the freak result, City dominated a top-six rival like never before under Guardiola

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/man-city-tottenham-spurs-news-pep-guardiola-a9064786.html

Savage said last night on 606 that Spurs were embarrassing in the first half. 

I am sure nicking a point at yours they will be happy being called that. 

You have to agree with the article. If Spurs have improved and a top 3 banker then the gulf is even wider. 

While Zinchenko failed to win a Premier League game for the first time in his (City) career following the 2-2 draw (his current record in the league reads - P 23, W 22, D 1), just read that the worst individual losing streak in PL history is Jack Grealish's continuing record, who has now lost 20 consecutive games in the top division.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

Well done to all the players who will be taking part in Kompany's testimonial. Particularly 10 ex-United players. All the money is going to a great Manchester cause.

Edwin van der Sar, Gary and Phil Neville, John O'Shea, Wes Brown, Paul Scholes, Nicky Butt, Michael Carrick, Ryan Giggs and Robin van Persie will play in the all-star team that will be led by Belgium manager Roberto Martinez. Monaco midfielder Cesc Fabregas will also feature, along with Rafael van der Vaart and former England striker Emile Heskey.

The City line-up will include current players Sergio Ageuro and David Silva, while former striker Mario Balotelli is also set to make an appearance.

Joe Hart, Shay Given, Gael Clichy, Aleksandar Kolarov, Joleon Lescott, Micah Richards, Pablo Zabaleta, Dedryk Boyata, Wayne Bridge, Richard Dunne, Nigel de Jong, Samir Nasri, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Stephen Ireland and Craig Bellamy make up the rest of the 'City Legends' squad.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11679/11791477/vincent-kompany-testimonial-former-manchester-united-players-in-team-to-face-city-legends

• Like 1

I understand that ALL money raised in Kompany's testimonial match and other events will go to this mancunian charity - quite a generous gesture by Vinny 'don't shoot' Kompany.

Here's his open letter to Greater Manchester:

When I came to this city something good happened for me.

It must have, I have enjoyed the best years of my career here. They have been great years, incredible years of making history. Yet, even more than that, these have been the years of building a family.

My wife, my kids, they’re Mancunians – I can’t tell you how proud that makes me feel.

What is it about this city?

I’m not sure I know, but lots of us share in it. Maybe it’s because people have faced tough odds here and yet built a city known across the world for its humour and its friendliness. Maybe it’s that.

Whatever it is about this city, when I began to think about my ten-year anniversary, I knew that I wanted to do something a little different to a normal testimonial year. I wanted to do something collaborative, something that could be shared.

Over the last ten years, we’ve all shared in the progress this city has made. Just look at the new buildings, the new facilities, hospitals. We’ve had some brilliant times and we’ve stayed together during some bad times. This city is a bigger, better place than the place I came to ten years ago.

Yet through it all, homelessness has become a growing concern. We must be honest about that.

That’s why I came up with this idea.

My idea is simple. I want to shine a spotlight, raise money and to work with partners so that people do not have to sleep rough. I want them to have the dignity they deserve. To do this, I am working with the Mayor, Andy Burnham, and with important partners like the Manchester Evening News. I am honoured to have these people alongside.

So, obviously this is not about being Blue, Red, any colour or no colour. It is about being a Manc.

One thing I am sure about Manchester is that people are proud of their history. They are proud of their football, music, the industrial revolution and all the amazing things that were invented here.

It doesn’t take long to find out that this city also has an incredible history of social reform and social action. There is an incredible history of caring for others and trying to make things right. We could talk about the suffragettes, the cooperative movement, Peterloo, and lots of other things. Even the football clubs themselves were founded for the sake of communities.

So, the point is that a social conscience is as much part of being a Manc as is a love of football or music.

I know it is not easy, but I think it is in the character of Manchester to get started on a problem and then work out all the issues and details as we go along.

And the problem is urgent. That is why I am dedicating my testimonial year to the homeless of this city.

Please support Tackle4mcr,

Vincent

There's definitely loads of homeless on the streets on Manchester asking for change.