The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

4 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Whats your ambition as a ManU fan? Guessing its quite low based on the past 5 years of toil. Finish above Arsenal im guessing and within 10 points of City.

We've obviously had a lot of issues with mismanagement at every level, rebuilding after Fergie etc etc... hopefully things will improve now but as far as this season goes will be happy with 4th and going deep in the CL.

But this thread is about City. All the money that's been poured in over the last decade should be bearing fruit for you now. So to say you aren't bothered about winning the CL is pretty astonishing. Not sure if that is a widely held view. 

15 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

We've obviously had a lot of issues with mismanagement at every level, rebuilding after Fergie etc etc... hopefully things will improve now but as far as this season goes will be happy with 4th and going deep in the CL.

But this thread is about City. All the money that's been poured in over the last decade should be bearing fruit for you now. So to say you aren't bothered about winning the CL is pretty astonishing. Not sure if that is a widely held view. 

You can bet the players view would be the opposite, you'd expect them to want CL glory more than the league now.

16 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

You can bet the players view would be the opposite, you'd expect them to want CL glory more than the league now.

I don't think theres a doubt that the players want the CL.  Its the big one.  its not won by the strongest squads grinding away over third-eight games its about matching yourselves against the best over two legs at the highest level the sport offers.  Doesn't get any bigger in my book.

38 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

A few issues. That's an understatement isn't it. Rednev says things are drastically  wrong in the club and United need to press the reset button or words to that effect.

And why are things going to improve now? You've just axed one of the best managrs in the world - one that YOU backed - and brought in a novice till the summer when you have to find your 4th manager in 5 years. You're just at the start of the process. Could take you years until you challenge. Not possible? Just take a look how long it's taken liverpool  so it is very possible.

A bit of a cop out not stating your united ambitions wasn't  it.

I would love to win the CL or the caraboa  cup, any or all trophies, but i WOULD PREFER to be english champions than win the CL.

37 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Not realizing you had an 80M star that just needed blooding...

From your previous  comment  and this comment  I'm  guessing you posted without reading the thread.

City tried to keep Sancho including  offering  the best deal ever for a kid at City (shows how we 'realised' we had 'a player'). He wouldn't sign. He went on strike to get his way.

So what could City do exactly to stop him leaving beside guaranteeing him Sane's or Sterling's starting position when he wasn't at their level then (hes not now in my opinion)?

So hardly a cockup was it. More like 'player power' forcing City to sell him against  our wishes. 

18 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

But Alfie he played on the left during his City days so ive explained to you why I believe he left (no pun intended) the club (because od Sane and Sterling) but lets assume he played on the right then he would have been behind Sterling and Bernardo and possibly Diaz. Incidentally Mahrez joined a year later - you do realise he's a past PFA Players' Player of the Year award don't you. Your comparing Sancho, a player of potential of about 30 games, with mahrez: maybe in the future he might be as good but a bit premature now don't you think if you intend making such comparisons.

Waffling? Informing you about something you had no idea about. You probably thiught City sold him because they wanted to...titter.

So Alfie how should a club like City keep very tanted players like Sancho and Diaz at the club if they're not currently  good enough to hold down a position but they aren't willing to hang around until they've got to the stage where they are?

Thanks for confirming, that's exactly what people are saying, City are not prepared to take a gamble on youth over a big money buy no matter how much they cost.

So by judging what your saying City are never going to give Academy players a chance, i mean lets face it, the chances of them hitting the ground running are nearly impossible. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

From your previous  comment  and this comment  I'm  guessing you posted without reading the thread.

City tried to keep Sancho including  offering  the best deal ever for a kid at City (shows how we 'realised' we had 'a player'). He wouldn't sign. He went on strike to get his way.

So what could City do exactly to stop him leaving beside guaranteeing him Sane's or Sterling's starting position when he wasn't at their level then (hes not now in my opinion)?

So hardly a cockup was it. More like 'player power' forcing City to sell him against  our wishes. 

You left him out of the summer tour in 2017 because of contract stalling and that’s when he decided to move on. You could have took him on tour you could have offered him a plan with a number of games Guaranteed. “Player power”? he was a child. Not unlike Rhian Brewster who is included in our plans and signed in the summer despite being behind one of the best attack trio in Europe. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Thanks for confirming, that's exactly what people are saying, City are not prepared to take a gamble on youth over a big money buy no matter how much they cost.

So by judging what your saying City are never going to give Academy players a chance, i mean lets face it, the chances of them hitting the ground running are nearly impossible. 

It's as clear as day.  I would also question why a talented young player like Foden would stay at City, signing a six year contract to effectively sit on the bench. Doesn't the lad want to play regular football? He'll simply stagnate at City and whenever he thinks he might be getting closer to a regular start Pep will get nervous about the opposition and spend another vast sum on a player that will push him back down the ladder.  He must be getting paid a kings ransom is all i can imagine.

3 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

But youre wrong. Diaz and Foden are full 1st team squad players and get to play AND ARE GETTING A CHANCE. Last game for example we brought in Sandler for his debut. A month ago we brought in Eric Garcia for his debut. 

City have a strong team of first choicers. It is therefore harder for say an england u18 player to break through at City than it is for his england u18 teammate to break through at Spurs who i am sure you will agree have a weaker squad than City. And its harder for a u18 england  player at spurs to break through than it would  be a u18 Englandplayer at say fulham or a championship  club.

Had Sancho and Diaz stuck around as Foden has chosen to do then if they are good enough they will establish  themselves  at City but if down the line they  aren't  good enough  to establish  themselves at City they will be sold  for a profit and continue  their career elsewhere.

I would have been happy keeping Sancho and nixing the Mahrez transfer. I never wanted Mahrez. A nice player no doubt, but you can only score so many goals coming in from the right on your left foot (unless you're Messi or Robben).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jellydog said:

I would have been happy keeping Sancho and nixing the Mahrez transfer. I never wanted Mahrez. A nice player no doubt, but you can only score so many goals coming in from the right on your left foot (unless you're Messi or Robben).

I think this is Alfie's point. Pep wants seasoned pros to come in and hit the ground running. its clearly his policy and theres nothing wrong with that, but,  that said, why on earth would you send a talented kid there because he ain't getting a look in.  When the manager can spend what he wants and is expected to win silverware what's he going to do. Buy and mould together an all stars team and i can't blame him for that.

Sancho by all accounts has been quite sensational in the Bundesliga.  

4 minutes ago, carmine said:

It's as clear as day.  I would also question why a talented young player like Foden would stay at City, signing a six year contract to effectively sit on the bench. Doesn't the lad want to play regular football? He'll simply stagnate at City and whenever he thinks he might be getting closer to a regular start Pep will get nervous about the opposition and spend another vast sum on a player that will push him back down the ladder.  He must be getting paid a kings ransom is all i can imagine.

I think Foden's potential is still unappreciated by many. Spanish Dave is 33 (as of today) and ain't getting any younger. Foden is 18. His place in midfield is really only a matter of time, and not all that much time. Playing for the team he supports under Pep Guardiola. He could do a lot worse.

2 minutes ago, jellydog said:

I think Foden's potential is still unappreciated by many. Spanish Dave is 33 (as of today) and ain't getting any younger. Foden is 18. His place in midfield is really only a matter of time, and not all that much time. Playing for the team he supports under Pep Guardiola. He could do a lot worse.

I appreciate that but I'm just saying he's still going to be battling to get into what is quite possibly the strongest midfield squad in world football and when the cheque book comes out it will get stronger. Its really not a normal situation at City. He'd be starting in almost every other club in the league wouldn't he?  City's strength in midfield is mental!!

29 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

But youre wrong. Diaz and Foden are full 1st team squad players and get to play AND ARE GETTING A CHANCE. Last game for example we brought in Sandler for his debut. A month ago we brought in Eric Garcia for his debut. 

City have a strong team of first choicers. It is therefore harder for say an england u18 player to break through at City than it is for his england u18 teammate to break through at Spurs who i am sure you will agree have a weaker squad than City. And its harder for a u18 england  player at spurs to break through than it would  be a u18 Englandplayer at say fulham or a championship  club.

Had Sancho and Diaz stuck around as Foden has chosen to do then if they are good enough they will establish  themselves  at City but if down the line they  aren't  good enough  to establish  themselves at City they will be sold  for a profit and continue  their career elsewhere.

But youre wrong. Diaz and Foden are full 1st team squad players and get to play AND ARE GETTING A CHANCE

Neither of them have started in the PL, why ? because Pep doesn't want to gamble on them.

City have a strong team of first choicers. It is therefore harder for say an england u18 player to break through at City than it is for his england u18 teammate to break through at Spurs who i am sure you will agree have a weaker squad than City

Yes thats exactly what people are saying, and why do they have a stronger squad ? because they have spent tens of millions on players.

I do laugh when you try and justify your clubs actions and all you do is go around in circles, why don't you just come out and admit it, City don't need to gamble with young players when they can spend millions on so called ready made replacements ????

Edited by alfieconn

3 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Neither of them have started in the PL, why ? because Pep doesn't want to gamble on them.

Yes thats exactly what people are saying, and why do they have a stronger squad ? because they have spent tens of millions on players.

I do laugh when you try and justify your clubs actions and all you do is go around in circles ????

Apparently we've no money to spend Alfredo...so we're blooding players who aren't ready or some such waffling nonsense.

Its difficult to get inside the mind of a Citeh dude with all that candy floss floating around. ????

2 minutes ago, carmine said:

I appreciate that but I'm just saying he's still going to be battling to get into what is quite possibly the strongest midfield squad in world football and when the cheque book comes out it will get stronger. Its really not a normal situation at City. He'd be starting in almost every other club in the league wouldn't he?  City's strength in midfield is mental!!

He might be starting for some other teams, but certainly not all.

Apparently those who criticize City's way of doing business would rather us keep Foden and Sancho and Diaz, and not be as competitive as we are.:smile:

27 minutes ago, jellydog said:

He might be starting for some other teams, but certainly not all.

Apparently those who criticize City's way of doing business would rather us keep Foden and Sancho and Diaz, and not be as competitive as we are.:smile:

To be fair, there are certain posters on here who in the past/now go on about how good your academy is/going to be so of course people are going to mention this when academy players leave because they ain't getting a chance of playing regularly in the first team and the crux of the matter is that you haven't had one academy player become a first team regular since the owners took over.

Edited by alfieconn

35 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

You left him out of the summer tour in 2017 because of contract stalling and that’s when he decided to move on. You could have took him on tour you could have offered him a plan with a number of games Guaranteed. “Player power”? he was a child. Not unlike Rhian Brewster who is included in our plans and signed in the summer despite being behind one of the best attack trio in Europe. 

Sorry Bob but that's not how it panned out. He was one of 3 player players being 'fast-tracked' in to senior set-up but he wanted to leave and to return to London. Rhian Brewster isn't relevant to this, but using your analogy Foden has just signed a long-term contract and he's behind Silva, KDB, Gundogan and Bernardo, but Southern boy Sancho didn't fancy it and thought he could engineer a move to Arsenal or Spurs!

Now just imagine one day VVD or Salah has their head turned and fancies playing elsewhere and downs tools and isn’t going to budge. What you going to do about it? There’s not a lot you could do, is there!

31 May 2017 - Sancho continued to impress in the Manchester City academy and was one of a trio of players (Sancho, Diaz and Foden) that the Manchester City chairman, Khaldoon Al Mubarak, said would be fast tracked into the senior set up in May 2017. [Wiki]

20 July 2018

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/arsenal-transfer-news-latest-tottenham-circle-city-jadon-sancho-break-down-a7851981.html 

Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur are circling after contract talks between Jadon Sancho and Manchester City broke down, throwing his future into doubt. Sancho was dropped from the City squad that flew out to the United States for their pre-season tour on Monday despite initially being pencilled in to feature for Pep Guardiola’s side because he has still not signed his new City deal. City are desperate to keep Sancho and have offered him a three year deal starting at roughly £30,000 per week, one of the most lucrative deals ever given to a 17-year-old player in England. But Sancho still has not signed, believing that the path to the first-team is blocked at City and that he could play first-team football sooner elsewhere. … City, however, remain adamant that Sancho will not be leaving this summer and believe that they have more than enough time to resolve their differences with the player…

2 August 2017

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/jadon-sancho-arsenal-tottenham-withdraws-manchester-city-training-force-move-a7873771.html 

…The 17-year-old attacking midfielder has returned to London with no intention of going back to Manchester as he looks to secure the promise of first-team football elsewhere. Jadon Sancho has stopped training at Manchester City as he attempts to force a move away from the club. The 17-year-old attacking midfielder has not attended training at the City Football Academy since last week and has returned to London with no intention of going back.…He is now just waiting to be released so that he can sign for another club.

He joined Dortmund end of August 2017.

54 minutes ago, carmine said:

Can i borrow your crystal ball thats showing you Foden's future to get the lottery numbers?

Foden is the same as all young players coming through  at any club - just happens to be that he and his family support  City which has to be a major factor in extending his contract - if he's  good enough he'll  make it at that club. Playing with a higher level player is going to help him develop and shine isn't it. If he stays and doesn't  make it he'll have learnt and will still have a career elsewhere...hes unlikely  to end up on the scrap heap. He's  18 years old. He's  got time on his side. He's  now playing 90 minutes. He's in a healthy situation.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

2 hours ago, alfieconn said:

I do laugh when you try and justify your clubs actions and all you do is go around in circles, why don't you just come out and admit it, City don't need to gamble with young players when they can spend millions on so called ready made replacements ????

Well here's a win win for you and me.

You keep laughing at City's actions.

I'll  keep laughing at Spurs lack of actions in winning trophies.

Ill bet i laugh for longer!

????

Edited by Bredbury Blue

To be fair, there are certain posters on here who in the past/now go on about how good your academy is/going to be so of course people are going to mention this when academy players leave because they ain't getting a chance of playing regularly in the first team and the crux of the matter is that you haven't had one academy player become a first team regular since the owners took over.

Actually  i remember  it more as you, and pretty much only you on here, continually banging on about our academy. You will of course continue to bang on about it while City continue on our upward trajectory.

In fairness i will continue to remind you that Spurs haven't been champions of England since NINETEEN SIXTY ONE (1961), the year The Beatles performed at the legendary Cavern Club in Liverpool for the first time. Its that long time ago Alfie.

17 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

60 grand a week Diaz signing for RM he's not going to stick around the Emptihad 

Talking to spanish guy at work - Real Madrid fan who's very happy with signing Diaz - who confirmed  Diaz and his family ARE Real fans.

The capacity of the 'Emptihad' as you call it is being increased soon - possibly during next season. ????

27 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Well here's a win win for you and me.

You keep laughing at City's actions.

I'll  keep laughing at Spurs lack of actions in winning trophies.

Ill bet i laugh for longer!

????

I new that was coming, haven't got a response so move on to Spurs winning trophies of which we have won more of in our history.

I'll be on ignore next ????

Edited by alfieconn

13 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Actually  i remember  it more as you, and pretty much only you on here, continually banging on about our academy. You will of course continue to bang on about it while City continue on our upward trajectory.

In fairness i will continue to remind you that Spurs haven't been champions of England since NINETEEN SIXTY ONE (1961), the year The Beatles performed at the legendary Cavern Club in Liverpool for the first time. Its that long time ago Alfie.

But whats that got to do with your academy ? why don't you just respond on the subject of your academy.

But whats that got to do with your academy ? why don't you just respond on the subject of your academy.

I've  responded about our academy, in fact we've done this to death over the years, you and i. But here you go.

- During the sheikh mansour years City have not had a player from the academy who has established himself as a first choice pick player.

- Currently and going back one or two seasons we've had quite a few academy players who've made their debut. 

- This and last season Foden and Diaz have become 1st team regulars.

- During the sheikh mansour years the fact no academy player has established himself as a first choice pick player has not been detrimental to the teams performance and we have probably been the team that has performed the best and won the most trophies over the past 5 year period.

- And during the sheikh mansour ten-year period Spurs have won only the league cup in 2008, the first trophy since the league cup in 1999 (thats 2 trophies in nearly TWENTY YEARS)...Spurs are currently suffering their longest drought since the Second World War...and it is now 10 years 11 months and 10 days since Spurs won a trophy...highly embarrassing for a club of your size. But Alfie keep banging on about our academy while we keep winning and you don't :cheesy:

The flip side of the academy Alfie.

All talented academy players. Given a chance but deemed not quite good enough to make it. So sold on for profit in the past couple of seasons. 13 players, 33 starts between them generating 137million quid for City. An academy should try to produce players for the club and/or for selling on at a profit.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6568423/Manchester-Citys-136m-worth-sales-kids-Brahim-Diaz-sale-Real-Madrid.html

21 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

The flip side of the academy Alfie.

All talented academy players. Given a chance but deemed not quite good enough to make it. So sold on for profit in the past couple of seasons. 13 players, 33 starts between them generating 137million quid for City. An academy should try to produce players for the club and/or for selling on at a profit.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6568423/Manchester-Citys-136m-worth-sales-kids-Brahim-Diaz-sale-Real-Madrid.html

And it that time you've spend 339m on new players so a shame none of them made it as it might have saved you a few bob !