The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

56 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

What crisis?! ....????

I'm in the Ole out camp now, provided the right replacement can be found. We could wait for Southgate after the Euros. Or I wonder if Pochettino could jump ship in Jan if he doesn't get what he wants.

Was it you who I was discussing the Joshua fight in Riyadh with?

Tickets have just gone on sale. Bladdy rip off, cheap seats (doubt there'll be many of those) 100 quid. Next cheapest 200 quid, then 400 quid, then 600 quid and up to 10 grand !!

23 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Was it you who I was discussing the Joshua fight in Riyadh with?

Tickets have just gone on sale. Bladdy rip off, cheap seats (doubt there'll be many of those) 100 quid. Next cheapest 200 quid, then 400 quid, then 600 quid and up to 10 grand !!

Yeah I think it's a no go. Still if I lived there I'd be tempted to go.

9 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Yeah I think it's a no go. Still if I lived there I'd be tempted to go.

Oh a group of us are definitely tempted. My mate was in a 2 hour online queue last night and eventually gave up. He'll try again today. If we can get the 100 quid seats we'll go but not paying more than that

On 10/13/2019 at 6:22 PM, RickG16 said:

I'm in the Ole out camp now, provided the right replacement can be found.

Do you really think Poch would have done any better with the players Ole had available against Newcastle? 
Give him one season, sack him in March /April if the results are still poor. 

Edited by balo

40 minutes ago, balo said:

Do you really think Poch would have done any better with the players Ole had available against Newcastle?

Yes. 

Plenty of players in that 11 performed way way below what they are capable of. 

Solskjaer has come under a lot of fire but I think his signings so far have been good.

He just needs another two or three windows and a sack of cash and Utd will be on the way up.

The two strikers he let go jeez how bad were they and on ridiculous salaries....got to say after 5 years of appalling signings he has the correct approach.

From a Spurs perspective of course I hope Pogba sees out his career there.

2 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Solskjaer has come under a lot of fire but I think his signings so far have been good.

He just needs another two or three windows and a sack of cash and Utd will be on the way up.

The two strikers he let go jeez how bad were they and on ridiculous salaries....got to say after 5 years of appalling signings he has the correct approach.

From a Spurs perspective of course I hope Pogba sees out his career there.

Good post. His signings have been good but the problem is now many other players have regressed under his watch.

We were playing really well at the start of the season but didn't get the results we deserved. Now we are playing badly with a complete lack of confidence imo. We are still waiting to see if Ole can pick these players up off the floor. It's hard to think that we won't be up for it on Sunday. Maybe it could be a turning point.

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Good post. His signings have been good but the problem is now many other players have regressed under his watch.

We were playing really well at the start of the season but didn't get the results we deserved. Now we are playing badly with a complete lack of confidence imo. We are still waiting to see if Ole can pick these players up off the floor. It's hard to think that we won't be up for it on Sunday. Maybe it could be a turning point.

The main problem for the players getting worse is they were never that good in the first place.

Fred to me is your equivalent of Aurier.

Your strikers Martial and Rashford flatter to deceive as well....I'm very surprised that wasn't addressed....could be upstairs not wanting to spend or just the right player not available....who knows?

On 10/13/2019 at 11:22 PM, RickG16 said:

What crisis?! ....????

I'm in the Ole out camp now, provided the right replacement can be found. We could wait for Southgate after the Euros. Or I wonder if Pochettino could jump ship in Jan if he doesn't get what he wants.

Sacking OGS now would solve nothing.What manager of quality would take on a team that doesn't at this time even have a single reliable, fit striker let alone a functioning midfield ? Even quality managers don't come with guarantees of silverware, ask Poch who is going no where mid season.

I thought most United followers had sensibly agreed it will take at least 3 summer windows to make up lost ground.The 3 players bought in the first window Maguire,James and Wan Bissaka have all met expectations especially the latter 2,in fact they have exceeded expectations, no reason why that trend can't be continued next summer window with astute buys.

Patience and good scouting is the key. Plus a Director of Football is a must.

A club of United's stature cant expect a manager to cover all the distractions. Media and sponsors access alone eats up a huge amount of time that should be spent with players

January windows will only provide a short term fix,clubs never let their best leave just the ones they don't see any future in.

I see Sanchez is injured and out for months again...unsaleable 

4 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

I thought most United followers had sensibly agreed it will take at least 3 summer windows to make up lost ground.The 3 players bought in the first window Maguire,James and Wan Bissaka have all met expectations especially the latter 2,in fact they have exceeded expectations, no reason why that trend can't be continued next summer window with astute buys.

Yes but there becomes a point, when a manager in incapable of getting a team out of a rut, that his motivational ability needs to be questioned. 

Don't forget Sparkles, Ole has hung his hat on being able to get the boys playing for the badge and playing with confidence. He isn't exactly known as Pep or Jose in the tactical stakes. So when he even fails to be able to do that, he needs to go. There are plenty of managers around the world who could take the job until the end of the season. 

Well lets agree to disagree .Someone taking over for the balance of the season I see as a knee jerk reaction. There was no negative reaction when they went on their winning run of what was it 12 games, in fact motivation seemed to be the driving force with OGS claimed by the players, to be the catalyst, now its his fault

Anyone new coming in would have to deal with now total of 11 injured players .Club confirming De Gea and Pogba will likely not play this weekend. If in the next 2 summer windows they can bring in 6 new players you will see a totally different team as I said patience and planning are the key

The club is in a rut due to ongoing injuries, a makeshift team each week and not being pro active in the transfer windows because at board level they have seem to have been more concerned with commercial activity than building and retaining a competitive team.

You will remember SAF always even when winning a premiership would move some players on and top up the squad with astute buys, did it year in year out.

In the glory years we had 4 strikers Cole, Yorke, Sheringham and OGS together all vying for a start later Van Nistlerooy , Van Persie and even Zlatan popping in goals now zero .No manager in the world can make a silk purse out of a pigs ear

Edited by Sparkles

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

There was no negative reaction when they went on their winning run of what was it 12 games, in fact motivation seemed to be the driving force with OGS claimed by the players, to be the catalyst, 

Absolutely, he seemed to be the antidote to the bad atmosphere and disconnect in the squad under Jose. But it appears we are now seeing that there is only so far "Remember, you're playing for Man United lads" can take us.

Forget the injuries and letting too many strikers go, the players at Newcastle were playing way below their capabilities, looked afraid of receiving the ball because they didn't want to make a mistake, and didn't look like they were fighting for each other.

I am interested to know if you have a cut off point Sparkles? If we lose to Liverpool, most people would give Ole a pass I think. But then a draw or loss to Norwich away? A battering against Chelsea? Dropped more points against Bournemouth?......what is your cut off point? You don't just give an inexperienced manager three seasons in the hope it will turn out OK.

Rest assured, despite the 'Ole is safe' mantra, the club will be making contingency plans. This is the real world. There is a very good chance another manager could do a better job, because there are better and more experienced managers. 

On 10/17/2019 at 11:09 AM, RickG16 said:

Absolutely, he seemed to be the antidote to the bad atmosphere and disconnect in the squad under Jose. But it appears we are now seeing that there is only so far "Remember, you're playing for Man United lads" can take us.

Forget the injuries and letting too many strikers go, the players at Newcastle were playing way below their capabilities, looked afraid of receiving the ball because they didn't want to make a mistake, and didn't look like they were fighting for each other.

I am interested to know if you have a cut off point Sparkles? If we lose to Liverpool, most people would give Ole a pass I think. But then a draw or loss to Norwich away? A battering against Chelsea? Dropped more points against Bournemouth?......what is your cut off point? You don't just give an inexperienced manager three seasons in the hope it will turn out OK.

Rest assured, despite the 'Ole is safe' mantra, the club will be making contingency plans. This is the real world. There is a very good chance another manager could do a better job, because there are better and more experienced managers. 

No cut off point for me Rick with 30 games to go.

On 10/17/2019 at 11:09 AM, RickG16 said:

With 30 rounds to go there is no cut off date for me Rick. Mourinho was supposed to be the best I will be happy to get this season out of the way and if they can sign another 3 quality players next summer the wheels will turn.

Watching Spurs get over the line for a point last night  against lowly Watford was a reminder that even you have better squad than United and a top class Manager it doesn't guarantee success in any game .

I always remind myself of the innuendo in the clubs name Manchester United and that is what is required now UNITY, among players ,staff, board and followers, many of who got on the train when MU was winning all before them.

Mistakes have been made and even Woodward admitted that last week that's a start.

So many self promoting pundits,like Colleymore whose own management record was abysmal were wetting themselves when United didn't come up with a win away at AZ Alkmaar on a plastic pitch.No mention that they in the Dutch league were only 1 point behind Ajax,who are no mugs.Newcastle was as bad as I hope it will get.

The injury and illness toll has not helped Bailly, long term,Shaw,Martial,Pogba all 4 weeks out,Wan Bisaka,Jones, Rojo, Lindelof, Dalot, Greenwood, Lingard, Tuanzebe,Fosu Mensah all unavailable at some time and now doubts on De Gea. The squad is no where strong enough to cover that scenario.

So to tonight Romero is as good a cover as you could expect for De Gea. 90 +games for Argentina and has never let United down.Why he stays I have no idea,loyalty is a rare commodity these days but hopefully he plays a blinder,he will need to

Keep the faith

• Like 2

Much better from United, why didn't you play like this against Newcastle?  But nothing changed really, take this good performance with you and you should beat Norwich comfortably. 

Being in an upcountry hotel with no football on tv and not wanting to watch it on my phone, i gave it a miss.

One son and wife did watch it, they reckon ManU were the better team until the latter stages. Thanks: you can revert to being <deleted> again now.

Wife has seen most liverpool games this season (i rarely watch them) and reckons they aren't playing well but keep being fortunate.