The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

6 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

They don't really care about the lads chasing the ball. They care about the brand and the money/exposure/bragging etc that comes with it

Yes i agree, but thinking of it...that saudi guy has a bad reputation...that will reflect on Man U and the whole UK.....Do the Brits have any choice in this deal or not?

1 hour ago, Thian said:

Yes i agree, but thinking of it...that saudi guy has a bad reputation...that will reflect on Man U and the whole UK.....Do the Brits have any choice in this deal or not?

Only as far as carrying out the fit and proper persons test I think. Apart from that, it'll be down to the money side and whether the americans (Glazier's) can cream enough out of it

5 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Only as far as carrying out the fit and proper persons test I think. Apart from that, it'll be down to the money side and whether the americans (Glazier's) can cream enough out of it

I see, well that's pretty sad...i hope they won't sell it to him..just because of his reputation.

30 minutes ago, Thian said:

I see, well that's pretty sad...i hope they won't sell it to him..just because of his reputation.

Like Mr Boj says, there is a test to prevent people with questionable backgrounds from buying football clubs. How effective the test is is another question. 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 8:16 PM, mrbojangles said:

Do you think he'll be there that long?

Yes I do.With the injuries and lack of striker options results have been poor but another clean sheet last night and emergence of a player, who I suggested weeks ago is a rising star..one Brandon Williams MOM. Mark him down as a left sided attacking wing back or fb who has the courage, pace to charge into the box.Known in coaching terms as crash or crash through.

Garner did ok too.

I am happy to be, maybe in the minority, that wants to develop players not seek overpaid ,over rated older players.Ozil has been touted as our saviour, Lord help us if that's the case.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Like Mr Boj says, there is a test to prevent people with questionable backgrounds from buying football clubs. How effective the test is is another question. 

Didn't seem a problem with Thaksin when he bought City???? and subsequently made a financial killing

Edited by Sparkles
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sparkles said:

I suggested weeks ago is a rising star..one Brandon Williams MOM. Mark him down as a left sided attacking wing back or fb who has the courage, pace to charge into the box.Known in coaching terms as crash or crash through.

Did you watch the game Sparkles? This WIlliams MOM thing has been massively over-hyped. He did well for a young kid in those circumstances, but also gave the ball away a lot. Well done but not anything incredible. Garner, who has also looked a tremendous talent in the under-23s, also looked like what he is - an 18 year-old taking baby steps.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves with these kids - Greenwood, Gomes and Chong have also shown that they aren't ready yet. But it is good they are getting the opportunities.

In truth, large periods of yesterday's game were almost unbearable to watch our play was that disjointed. But I think the positives are that a) this was a patched up team players lacking match fitness, and kids, so it served its purpose in that regard, and that b) we got a good result away from home. 

2 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Imagine how they will feel when they have a shot on goal (penalties excluded)

Do you admit, or even realise, that you have an obsession with Man United?

I can't imagine myself ever been that interested in, or commenting on, another club that much.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

Imagine how they will feel when they have a shot on goal (penalties excluded)

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

I can't imagine myself ever been that interested in, or commenting on, another club that much.

Kadilo.s comments above are the cold hard facts.

Simple as that !!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

So should you. Might be your last CL campaign for a while.

https://talksport.com/football/600278/man-city-ffp-financial-fair-play-punishment/

"Might" is a very grey word. It means possibly or possibly not. I know you are frothing at the mouth of it possibly happening but let's just wait for the final outcome 

I can’t imagine you being interested in anything tbh. 

Obsession? It’s just a bit of banter. 

Go ask James if you can suck on his dummy. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

No, its banter when it's a fan of a club who is one of our main rivals. Its weird when its a West Ham fan.

But I forget, you have nobody to banter with on this forum. The only 'Millwall fan' I've seen is a yank who uses the badge as his avatar because he thinks its cool. 

52 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

No, its banter when it's a fan of a club who is one of our main rivals. Its weird when its a West Ham fan.

But I forget, you have nobody to banter with on this forum. The only 'Millwall fan' I've seen is a yank who uses the badge as his avatar because he thinks its cool. 

It’s really not ............unless you’re a bit insecure and weird yourself. 

Lol stop living on the past , the only rivals you have are all in  the relegation zone so thanks I agree ????

As as for the rest, <deleted> that got to do with anything ?

Edited by Kadilo

its banter when it's a fan of a club who is one of our main rivals. Its weird when its a West Ham fan.

Banter definition: the playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks.

Rivals definition: person or thing competing with another for the same objective or for superiority in the same field of activity, for example, for 6th place finish in the Premier.

Yep WHU definitely a ManU rival therefore it was banter.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Banter definition: the playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks.

Rivals definition: person or thing competing with another for the same objective or for superiority in the same field of activity, for example, for 6th place finish in the Premier.

Yep WHU definitely a ManU rival therefore it was banter.

You and your definitions ???? ... remind me, what was the definition of 'regular' again?

16 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Did you watch the game Sparkles? This WIlliams MOM thing has been massively over-hyped. He did well for a young kid in those circumstances, but also gave the ball away a lot. Well done but not anything incredible. Garner, who has also looked a tremendous talent in the under-23s, also looked like what he is - an 18 year-old taking baby steps.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves with these kids - Greenwood, Gomes and Chong have also shown that they aren't ready yet. But it is good they are getting the opportunities.

In truth, large periods of yesterday's game were almost unbearable to watch our play was that disjointed. But I think the positives are that a) this was a patched up team players lacking match fitness, and kids, so it served its purpose in that regard, and that b) we got a good result away from home. 

Yes I watched the replay and we all see things diffrently.United far from impressive but you take any away win in the qualifying rounds.

Williams did give the ball away occasionally as did every other United player but what impresses me with him and has done when I have watched him in his climb through the grades is (a) He has a great engine, bit like old Becks in his prime.When he loses the ball his first reaction is to run harder and retrieve it not leave it to someone else.He was running as hard at the 90 mins mark as at the start while Garner and others tired as the team didn't have a great share of the ball .

(b) His commitment to burst into the box rather than take the easy option of a backward or sideways short pass which eventually comes to nothing due to congestion impresses me.

In a past life, when coaching, my old team mate an ex Spurs junior, and I used to encourage our players to burst into the box at pace especially in the last 15 mins when defenders legs were getting tired.We had a young fellow, who Williams reminds me of, he would score the odd goal playing from the left midfield position and because of his pace and intensity won many penalties by doing just that.It may be "old style" and subsequently now not fashionable but it worked a treat,in fact it won us a few games via penalty conversions

Now teams set up 2 lines of defenders in the dying minutes if ahead or holding onto a point and its very hard to get through due to the traffic and tip ,tap in confined space invariable doesn't work in most cases. The option of running directly at defenders at pace may well make a comeback.

The difference between our United young and up and comers and Chelsea's who are travelling so well is that many of their younger players went out on loan to the Championship and other leagues and experienced higher intensity than playing in Under 18's & 23's that's why IMO  they are more battle hardened and now making such a positive impression. Transfer ban was the best thing to happen to Chelsea would Conte or Sarri have given them the opportunity that Lampard has had to, I doubt it

United needs to toughen up players like Chong ,Garner, Gomes etc  by sending them out on loan in January they are not getting enough game time where it matters ,in fact Greenwood never even got on the pitch. Obviously OGS has to get an experienced striker in January be it short term or not

13 hours ago, Kadilo said:

I can’t imagine you being interested in anything tbh. 

Go ask James if you can suck on his dummy. 

The definition of banter is, and always has been the injection of "humour" into a discussion/comment.

I really don't see much sign of that its rare commodity in this forum