The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

19 hours ago, RickG16 said:

They aren't that good! We were dreadful for about 3/4 of the game. 

True,Sheffield United are typical of a team that is not blessed with great individual players but they make up for it with total commitment and discipline,every player knows his job. That's why they are in the position they are in the table.

Positive for United was the fact that they did come back and never tossed the towel in. Brandon Williams,thankfully replacing Young, goal ignited them,that was not an easy shot,great timing, especially on his weaker foot . Greenwood showed his predatory skill and Rashford continued his goal scoring run.

Their final goal took a deflection off Maguire and De Gea may well of saved it for an undeserved win.

Been saying it for ages without an upgrade in the mid field United will struggle defensively and going forward. Peirera and Fred are just not up to it and McTominay is a huge loss ,that's where big money needs to be spent next summer. Patience.

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

True,Sheffield United are typical of a team that is not blessed with great individual players but they make up for it with total commitment and discipline,every player knows his job. That's why they are in the position they are in the table.

Positive for United was the fact that they did come back and never tossed the towel in. Brandon Williams,thankfully replacing Young, goal ignited them,that was not an easy shot,great timing, especially on his weaker foot . Greenwood showed his predatory skill and Rashford continued his goal scoring run.

Their final goal took a deflection off Maguire and De Gea may well of saved it for an undeserved win.

Been saying it for ages without an upgrade in the mid field United will struggle defensively and going forward. Peirera and Fred are just not up to it and McTominay is a huge loss ,that's where big money needs to be spent next summer. Patience.

Agree with all of that, but IMO Young should go straight back into the team when fit. Being a full back is about more than scoring goals and making attacking runs. If Young gave the ball away in the manner Williams did repeatedly in the first half, he would get slaughtered for it. (not taking anything away from how Williams has acquitted himself so far).

Peirera is never a defensive midfielder in a million years. No composure. He could still do a job further forward though. Fred I haven't given up hope on yet. He was just starting to form a promising partnership with Scott. 

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Everyone seems to be forgetting about Pogba. Let's wait and see how he performs, if and when he gets back in the team.

1 minute ago, DannyCarlton said:

Everyone seems to be forgetting about Pogba. Let's wait and see how he performs, if and when he gets back in the team.

Nobody's forgetting about him. He's just been out of the picture for a while with very little info provided by the club.

When / if he comes back I think a lot of United fans would like to see him employed as a no. 10, with Fred and Scott further back (if fit). 

2 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Nobody's forgetting about him. He's just been out of the picture for a while with very little info provided by the club.

When / if he comes back I think a lot of United fans would like to see him employed as a no. 10, with Fred and Scott further back (if fit). 

McTominy and Pogba centre mid for me. Back 4 is a problem. Lindlhof and McGuire both left siders and lacking experience. Need a world class right sided centre back. Jones should never wear the United shirt again. Dreadful on Sunday, cost us at least 1 goal (not for the first time). Left backs have several, Shaw, Young (not really a full back), Fosu-Mensa, all prefer left side (Williams was defensively poor), only Wan Bissaka on the right.

27 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

McTominy and Pogba centre mid for me. Back 4 is a problem. Lindlhof and McGuire both left siders and lacking experience. Need a world class right sided centre back. Jones should never wear the United shirt again. Dreadful on Sunday, cost us at least 1 goal (not for the first time). Left backs have several, Shaw, Young (not really a full back), Fosu-Mensa, all prefer left side (Williams was defensively poor), only Wan Bissaka on the right.

Some good points.... I think Young is more than a capable back up for AWB on the right. For now, anyway.

I think Scott + Pogba could be a good pairing at home against teams who are parking the bus. Away from home would like to see Pogba being used further forward to supply the front 3, because we are clearly lacking a link from midfield to attack.

Everybody has forgotten about a gentleman called Eric Bailly. Won MOM in his first 3 Premier League games.... which is almost unbelievable for a centre back. He showed his weaknesses since then, but hoping he can come back and figure. But yeah.. buying a world class centre back would also be good.

I

16 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I think Scott + Pogba could be a good pairing at home against teams who are parking the bus. Away from home would like to see Pogba being used further forward to supply the front 3, because we are clearly lacking a link from midfield to attack.

No: 10 is the shirt of the attacking centre mid. Pogba's shirt, no doubt. Think Scholes.

Off topic but I think that it's time for United to reprise the No: 7 shirt. Only player fit to wear the United No: 7 since Cantona and Beckham? Daniel James, a legend in the making.

3 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Off topic but I think that it's time for United to reprise the No: 7 shirt. Only player fit to wear the United No: 7 since Cantona and Beckham? Daniel James, a legend in the making.

Pacy Welsh winger.... he should be taking no 11 surely?

And I think you've forgotten someone in your recent history of famous no 7s! ... looks like we may have to wait for Alexis to clear off before anyone else can claim it. 

3 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Pacy Welsh winger.... he should be taking no 11 surely?

And I think you've forgotten someone in your recent history of famous no 7s! ... looks like we may have to wait for Alexis to clear off before anyone else can claim it. 

Sanches does hold the No:7 currently.

1. He was never fit to wear it.

2. He'll never wear it again.

A very special shirt for United , only reserved for the greatest.

7, right wing, 11 left wing. Bestie wore both.

Just now, DannyCarlton said:

Sanches does hold the No:7 currently.

1. He was never fit to wear it.

2. He'll never wear it again.

A very special shirt for United , only reserved for the greatest.

7, right wing, 11 left wing. Bestie wore both.

Yeah... I was referencing Ronaldo. 

Problem is you can't change squad numbers mid season. That's why we'll have to wait. 

For me James is the natural successor to Giggs. Give him the number 11. Save the 7 for the big money summer midfield signing. Whoever that is....

Nobody worthy of the no 7 right now. 

1 minute ago, RickG16 said:

Yeah... I was referencing Ronaldo. 

Problem is you can't change squad numbers mid season. That's why we'll have to wait. 

For me James is the natural successor to Giggs. Give him the number 11. Save the 7 for the big money summer midfield signing. Whoever that is....

Nobody worthy of the no 7 right now. 

Ronaldo coming home? It's on the cards. OK, reserve No: 7 for him. 555

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bredbury Blue said:

So what in your opinion is ManU's best IX (when all fit and available) and formation?

DDG

AWB Bailly Maguire Shaw

Fred McTominay

James  Pogba    Rashford 

Martial 

1 minute ago, Bredbury Blue said:

So what in your opinion is ManU's best IX (when all fit and available) and formation?

De Geia

Wan Bissaka    Lindelhof      McGuire   Shaw

James  McTominay  Pogba  Marital

Rashford  Greenwood.

Just now, DannyCarlton said:

De Geia

Rashford  Greenwood.

I like the look of that too. Maybe swap Rashford and Martial. 

2 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I like the look of that too. Maybe swap Rashford and Martial. 

Marital doesn't hit the net often enough but has some great assists. Rashford a natural C/F (likes playing there too).

Could convert Williams int playing Marital's role (left sided mid.) Our future is in our youth.

Edited by DannyCarlton

11 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

De Geia

Rashford  Greenwood.

Not bad; attacking. Be good against lesser teams. But i reckon Scott McT would have little help against top teams in that front 6 so might be better for those games to play a more defensive player alongside him like Fred with Pogba just in front and sacrifice Greenwood.

1 minute ago, RickG16 said:

Sorry mate but you've got to be joking!

He was terrible there for about 2 months this season!

Greenwood may prove to be a natural CF though. 

Everyone in the side was terrible for about 2 months this season. But, yes, Greenwood up front and Rashford playing off him.

2 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Not bad; attacking. Be good against lesser teams. But i reckon Scott McT would have little help against top teams in that front 6 so might be better for those games to play a more defensive player alongside him like Fred with Pogba just in front and sacrifice Greenwood.

The No:1 problem for United ATM. look good on the ball, not so good off it. Personally, I think you can only blame the manager for that.

Daniel Taylor

"How bad has it got? Jones even decided not to ask MUFC for the usual 10-year testimonial because - as he puts it - only his mum and dad would probably turn up. Not sure I've ever heard of any player, at any club, taking that position before (and I'll say it: it's pretty sad)".

Ferguson 2013: "Jones, arguably the way he is looking, could be our best ever player. I think Jones may be one of the best players we have ever had, not matter where we play him."

So when exactly IS he going to morph in the player of Duncan Edwards ability?

21 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Daniel Taylor

"How bad has it got? Jones even decided not to ask MUFC for the usual 10-year testimonial because - as he puts it - only his mum and dad would probably turn up. Not sure I've ever heard of any player, at any club, taking that position before (and I'll say it: it's pretty sad)".

Ferguson 2013: "Jones, arguably the way he is looking, could be our best ever player. I think Jones may be one of the best players we have ever had, not matter where we play him."

So when exactly IS he going to morph in the player of Duncan Edwards ability?

I think that's more to do with his own current form / standing within the squad. If he is on his way out of the door, he isn't going to take money from the fans.

21 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Rick, what's your ManU team of the decade IX? Posting my City one (on the City thread of course)

Obviously most are taken from the title winning sides of 2010/11 and 2012/13 

DDG

Young Rio Vidic Evra

Carrick Herrera

Nani Rooney Rashford

RVP