The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Interesting facts:

It's ManU’s worst start to a season since 1988-89.

Solskjaer has 26 points from 22 Premier League fixtures since United awarded him the job (won six, drawn eight and lost eight). 

Emery had taken 28 points from his last 22 league games before he was axed.

Mourinho’s last 22 league fixtures for United brought the team 35 points. 

Louis van Gaal had 37 points (as well as an FA Cup on the side). 

Even David Moyes, with 36 points, had a superior record to Solskjaer.

22 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Interesting facts:

It's ManU’s worst start to a season since 1988-89.

Solskjaer has 26 points from 22 Premier League fixtures since United awarded him the job (won six, drawn eight and lost eight). 

Emery had taken 28 points from his last 22 league games before he was axed.

Mourinho’s last 22 league fixtures for United brought the team 35 points. 

Louis van Gaal had 37 points (as well as an FA Cup on the side). 

Even David Moyes, with 36 points, had a superior record to Solskjaer.

Everyone is pretty much accepting of the fact that this is a transitional season where we have stripped the squad back deliberately, but haven't found the correct profile of player to bring in yet. 

We have had a very bad injury record - this has accentuated the thinness of the squad. Medical dept could be partly to blame.

Am I Ole In long term? Probably not. Would I sack him now? No, because in the grand scheme of things I think it might do more harm than good. If you have a 2-3 year project, have faith with it and stick with it. At least give him a couple of transfer windows, unless things become more drastic than they are now. 

• Haha 1

^There definitely seems no interest to remove Ole At The Wheel (we don't hear that anymore) from the management or supporters. Strange given that the man ManU reportedly  wanted, Poch, is now available (read he'd have to pay back £12.5m if he takes a job this season so he's probably ok waiting for the Madrid job to come available). Interesting season for the Manchester clubs.

12 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Not sure about that... I think a lot of supporters are Ole Out or at the verge of being so. 

Seems he isn't so safe afterall

"Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has told his Manchester United players he is facing the sack if they lose their next two matches against Tottenham and Man City, according to reports..."

3 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Seems he isn't so safe afterall

"Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has told his Manchester United players he is facing the sack if they lose their next two matches against Tottenham and Man City, according to reports..."

Clatterfart at it again....no manager of an elite sports team would make a statement like that to his players...

6 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Clatterfart at it again....no manager of an elite sports team would make a statement like that to his players...

I wonder where the 'source' is from here (https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/10469765/solskjaer-man-utd-sacked-spurs-pochettino/)

With all that money and nowhere to channel it (apart from meaningless foreign satellite clubs set up to essentially clean their money), don't underestimate how much City could be manipulating the media. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RickG16 said:

With all that money and nowhere to channel it (apart from meaningless foreign satellite clubs set up to essentially clean their money), don't underestimate how much City could be manipulating the media. 

Your imagination is off the charts Rick. Suppose you also think we have an island with Blofeld and Scaramanga living there

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Your imagination is off the charts Rick. Suppose you also think we have an island with Blofeld and Scaramanga living there

I really am very reluctant to start playing the 'I have worked in this industry' card... because I know how cringe it sounds. But let me throw you a very feasible scenario:

- Mr 'A' is a very well connected media source with contacts inside or near the dressing room at several Premier League clubs (I am assuming you do believe that people like this exist)

- Mr 'A' is contacted by an intermediary, who requests an informal meeting. Among other things, the intermediary promises Mr 'A' that he will be very well rewarded if, at certain times signaled by the intermediary, Mr 'A' gets a little creative with the news coming out of the dressing room at a certain football club.

- The intermediary promises Mr 'A' that these won't be regular occasions, but that he expects full co-operation, and that the reward will make it worthwhile.

With so many links in the chain, this kind of agreement seems pretty much untraceable.

You really don't think anything like this ever happens? And that all 'sources' quoted by newspapers are squeeky clean?

Edited by RickG16

3 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

You really don't think anything like this ever happens? And that all 'sources' quoted by newspapers are squeeky clean?

I couldn't possibly confirm nor deny such a practice exists. I would imagine it wouldn't be ethical and against journalism standards of practice. However, even if it does exist, it wouldn't be exclusive to just City

Just now, mrbojangles said:

if it does exist, it wouldn't be exclusive to just City

Spot on, it certainly wouldn't be exclusive to them. They just happen to be able to pay more than anyone else.

And it's nothing to do with the ethics of the journalist. The journalist is simply being informed by a trusted source, who will have passed on genuine information in the past.

And it's nothing to do with the ethics of the journalist. The journalist is simply being informed by a trusted source, who will have passed on genuine information in the past.

Otherwise known as facilitation payments. Used to be an ok practice but which are pretty much illegal in most countries. Therefore, not ethical nowadays

4 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Otherwise known as facilitation payments. Used to be an ok practice but which are pretty much illegal in most countries. Therefore, not ethical nowadays

No mate.... the media source aka 'Mr A' isn't a journalist. He is a trusted, well connected source which the journalist relies upon for information. It is Mr 'A' who would receive the payment and the journalist would have no knowledge of it.

Most of the time the journalist can rely upon his source for genuine info. But it doesn't take much effort to slip in some false info every now and then, especially when rewarded well.

Edited by RickG16

No mate.... the media source aka 'Mr A' isn't a journalist. He is a trusted, well connected source which the journalist relies upon for information. It is Mr 'A' who would receive the payment and the journalist would have no knowledge of it.

Most of the time the journalist can rely upon his source for genuine info. But it doesn't take much effort to slip in some false info every now and then, especially when rewarded well.

It's all far too much cloak and dagger for my innocent, law abiding, ethical, upstanding member of the community to comprehend ????

• Haha 1

Just now, mrbojangles said:

It's all far too much cloak and dagger for my innocent, law abiding, ethical, upstanding member of the community to comprehend ????

Well if these things were simple they would be easy to trace.

What Ole needs is his Duncan Castles. Somebody he can trust to give his side of the story when needed. 

9 minutes ago, champers said:

Pochettino being on the market certainly concentrates the mind of those decision makers who can decide an incumbent's fate. Swoop before someone else (Arsenal?) does?

I really can't see Poch going to Arsenal. Not directly from Spurs.

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

I really can't see Poch going to Arsenal. Not directly from Spurs.

I can't see Poch wanting to hand back that £12.5m to Levy if he takes a job this season - time to sit at home and polish his managerial trophies...but what's he going to do for the other 23 hrs 57 minutes every day, boom tish ????

8 hours ago, RickG16 said:

I knew a "Mr A". His links to clubs was far less tenuous. He was in regular contact with SAF (I was sat with him several times when SAF called him) and Sam Allerdice attended his funeral. The problem is endemic throughout football, certainly the Premier League.

• Thanks 1

On 12/4/2019 at 6:57 AM, Bredbury Blue said:

I can't see Poch wanting to hand back that £12.5m to Levy if he takes a job this season 

It wouldn't be Poch paying the £12.5M back plus the rest

of his backroom staff severence which would be around 

£20M in total.

It would be the club that would want to employ them

paying Levy.

3 hours ago, sotsira said:

It wouldn't be Poch paying the £12.5M back plus the rest

of his backroom staff severence which would be around 

£20M in total.

It would be the club that would want to employ them

paying Levy.

According to reports Poch.s services or contract were terminated (or sacked so to speak )by Levy

Therefore if true  

Totts FC  has to cough up the the money. and Poch is a free agent (Mngr)to any Club who want his services etc etc

Edited by deej