The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

He'll be the next Neville Southall (or David White) when he retires.

It’s a shame. I thought Sumo Shaw was destined to be a regular England defender for years to come. 

He clearly hasn’t the discipline or dedication required. 

3 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

It’s a shame. I thought Sumo Shaw was destined to be a regular England defender for years to come. 

He's just come back from injury (again), and done pretty well. Sure the weight will come off a little more if he stays in the team.

A bit like Rooney, it appears he needs to play every game to keep the weight off. 

• Like 1

A weeks a long time in football so the saying goes or is that politics ?

Prior to the Spurs and City games pundits, journos and all the "couch" experts on various forums were saying OGS should be sacked ................now it OGS should be backed.

.................The fickle world of football.

I didn't see the Spurs game, or a repeat ,but apparently it was a well deserved win.

Against City been a long time since we have seen such a pacy. fluid display, albeit only really in the first half and then backs to the wall blocking Cities efforts. Was almost feeling sorry for the City LB as James gave him a torrid time,what a buy that boys been.

Wan Bissaka will surely win the most successful tackler of the year ,his technique is quite unusual but so effective. He basically took Sterling out of the equation and that takes some doing

Fred has made fools of us all ,close to MOM and seems all the hours spent with Carrick after training are paying off or a switch has been flicked reminiscent of when Vidic and Evra first came and were written off as a waste of money.

Can't remember enjoying a game as much but totally aware that a rejuvenated Everton will be a tough encounter next weekend. The Europa game on Thursday will probably see the "kids" get ago plus the players that are just not getting game time.I think OGS finally knows his best side

Post match v City Pep appeared to be very sombre and almost tossing the towel in, that's not the leadership you need from you manager/ coach and maybe he's already preparing for life after City

12 hours ago, Kadilo said:

He put in an amazing amount of work off season,shown in videos he posted,had knocked of a lot of weight.He's just got the physique of someone who needs to be playing week in week out something though injury he hasn't been able to do.foolish to write him off

So Rick do you want to discuss the game (rationally i hope)?

Early doors ManUs front 4 were cutting through us. I thought Pep took a huge gamble on playing Angelino who lacks pace against Speedy James - maybe his logic was we'll retain possession like we had vs Burnley - and i thought Pep needed to make a big decision at nil nil as you taking the lead on a break was on the cards. I reckon he should have moved Walker over to the left or put Cancelo there sacrificing Angelino ( excellent going forward but too slow defensively). He didn't and ManU took the lead. Big mistakes by Pep.

After that i thought it was a combination of our wastefulness (Jesus and Sterling should scored) and badluck (when your CB deflected the ball behind with his foot i knew we weren't going to get anything) and excellent defense by ManU. As ive said before, this is now the template for playing against City: Wolves did it best so far with a flawless performance.  At the moment we dont have it in us to combat this from the opposition like we did successfully in previous seasons.

Overall i thought it was ManUs best performance i have seen this season - even Lingard played well for God's sake.

7 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Prior to the Spurs and City games pundits, journos and all the "couch" experts on various forums were saying OGS should be sacked ................now it OGS should be backed.

.................The fickle world of football.

One swallow does not make a summer...still to be seen if he's good enough.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Post match v City Pep appeared to be very sombre and almost tossing the towel in, that's not the leadership you need from you manager/ coach and maybe he's already preparing for life after City

Would you prefer him to say we're still going to win the PL (which he'd be ridiculed quite rightly for) or to be realistic and say  things aren't quite right now for a variety of reasons but we'll  work on putting them right, well try and win the cup competitions this season and we'll try and be better next season. I find it comforting / refreshing that my manager is giving an honest appraisal AND saying we'll come again next season (as we did after disappointing seasons in 2013, 2015 and 2016 to win the PL again). The media are trying to make out the wheels have completely fallen off but it's been one of those seasons City's management and fanbase accepts pretty much whatever can go wrong has gone wrong. I don't think we have become a poor team we just need a few things to click again. I'm confident well be right again.

18 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

So Rick do you want to discuss the game (rationally i hope)?

Early doors ManUs front 4 were cutting through us. I thought Pep took a huge gamble on playing Angelino who lacks pace against Speedy James - maybe his logic was we'll retain possession like we had vs Burnley - and i thought Pep needed to make a big decision at nil nil as you taking the lead on a break was on the cards. I reckon he should have moved Walker over to the left or put Cancelo there sacrificing Angelino ( excellent going forward but too slow defensively). He didn't and ManU took the lead. Big mistakes by Pep.

After that i thought it was a combination of our wastefulness (Jesus and Sterling should scored) and badluck (when your CB deflected the ball behind with his foot i knew we weren't going to get anything) and excellent defense by ManU. As ive said before, this is now the template for playing against City: Wolves did it best so far with a flawless performance.  At the moment we dont have it in us to combat this from the opposition like we did successfully in previous seasons.

Overall i thought it was ManUs best performance i have seen this season - even Lingard played well for God's sake.

Nothing to discuss. We all saw the game. I want to move onto bigger and better things. 

26 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Fred has made fools of us all ,close to MOM and seems all the hours spent with Carrick after training are paying off or a switch has been flicked reminiscent of when Vidic and Evra first came and were written off as a waste of money.

He was amazing. Even better against Spurs I would say. Not sure which United midfielder of the past I would compare him to. He seems more mobile than Carrick, can get up and down very well. At his best (not forgetting his bad games too), I'd say he's closest to a young Roy Keane. 

• Haha 1

Another false dawn for 

OGS .and M/U supporters.

Prior to the last 2 wins Totts and Mcity .

OGS and his squad have served up Dross only football so far this season.

so can excuse M/U supporters for getting in a hot lather????

Out fought and out worked by relegation fodder. 

How many times can OLS justify his side being beat by a team who wants it more:

5km more covered by the opposition. 
1km more covered by old man Deeney back from Injury than bone idle Martial. 

If OLS can’t get them to do the basics like work rate then surely his job must be on the line. 

Edited by Kadilo

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

Out fought and out worked by relegation fodder. 

How many times can OLS justify his side being beat by a team who wants it more:

5km more covered by the opposition. 
1km more covered by old man Deeney back from Injury than bone idle Martial. 

If OLS can’t get them to do the basics like work rate then surely his job must be on the line. 

Without penalties won, they'd have a 7% win ratio under OGS. 

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Struth. That’s another shocking stat. 

The interview with OLS after the match looked like he was about to burst in tears. 

With Poch now openly saying he’s ready for the next challenge the pressure is showing. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

We are bad. You don't need to conjour up ridiculous hypothetical statistics to prove that.

Why don't we take away all the headers, or left footed shots from teams and see what they end up with? 

Lingards had his annual run of about three half decent games. Put Pogba in the 10 role over Christmas and sees if he sinks or swims. We need to be looking at next season and deciding which players are staying. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kadilo said:

How did the young Roy Keane perform?

Fred was excellent against City and Spurs. But like the team, he can be dreadful the next week.

For the record, I never said he was as good as a young Roy Keane (sacrilege). We were trying to  liken his attributes as a busy box to box midfielder with a United player of the past.

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

Frankly I have got a little tired of that strange man from the blue side of Manchester stalking me and constantly asking "where are you from ?" "where did you grow up? "

When I was at school we had a guy like that who stood outside the school gate asking the same sort of questions, he wore a rain coat and we ignored him.

Think you'll find it helpful on the footie forum to grow a pair.

As to your comments, it was actually you who started the 'episode' between us by trying to disparage my comments that i hate ManU. I explained my feeling was based on growing up in a blue family in a city split between blues and reds (it's a feeling not uncommon to many football fans round the world with regards their club and another  club). I then asked you where are you from, as it might explain why as a red you don't feel the same as me, but you went all coy and won't answer the question.

No where did i put me raincoat cobber. ????

Edited by Bredbury Blue

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

As to your comments, it was actually you who started the 'episode' between us by trying to disparage my comments that i hate ManU. I explained my feeling was based on growing up in a blue family in a city split between blues and reds (it's a feeling not uncommon to many football fans round the world with regards their club and another  club). I then asked you where are you from, as it might explain why as a red you don't feel the same as me, but you went all coy and won't answer the question.

Coronation-Street-Jean-Alexander-as-Hilda-Ogden.jpg

6 hours ago, Sparkles said:

I love the way Greenwood has been building his soon to be permanent place.His timing and calmness when attempting shots on goal is not something you usually see with 18 year old's and equally happy on his right and left foot.

Yeah his calmness is almost eerie. I think he really relies on quick players around him though, and good service, because for me he is more a Van Persie type rather than a Rashford type with raw pace. 

21 minutes ago, jellydog said:

James and Williams both so talented but both find it hard to get through a match without ridiculous dives. Crazy baby, just crazy.

James still at it.?

He must be a slow learner the amount of times he’s been ridiculed. 

That said it’s never stopped Kane diving so I guess if it’s good enough for the England Captain.......

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2