The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

6 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Only 67000 last night: only 88% full.

Looked and seemed a lot less than that. Thank goodness the Wolves fans were there in numbers or there would have been no atmosphere at all 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Looked and seemed a lot less than that. Thank goodness the Wolves fans were there in numbers or there would have been no atmosphere at all 

I think you'll find a lack of atmosphere in home sections isn't unique to OT in the Premier League.

The new singing section has apparently made a difference (not just the Stretford End singing now). 

7 hours ago, balo said:

Not that many compared to United of course, but City on its way up over the last 10 years.  Personally I know one City supporter I met over 30 years ago. 

(Un)Official numbers members of Norwegian supporter clubs 2019: 

1. Liverpool 49.010 (+21.8%)
  2. Manchester United 42.573 (+5.6%)
  3. Arsenal 7197 (+2.5)
  4. Tottenham 5260 (-2.6%)
  5. Leeds 5190 (+17.6%)
  6. Manchester City 2456 (+9.8%)
  7. Chelsea 1715 (-9.5%)
  8. West Ham 898 (-2.1%)
  9. Stoke 710 (-4.8%)
  10. Everton 575 (-7.9%)

Is Ole still a member of LFCSC? ????

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, balo said:

Not that many compared to United of course, but City on its way up over the last 10 years.  Personally I know one City supporter I met over 30 years ago. 

(Un)Official numbers members of Norwegian supporter clubs 2019: 

1. Liverpool 49.010 (+21.8%)
  2. Manchester United 42.573 (+5.6%)
  3. Arsenal 7197 (+2.5)
  4. Tottenham 5260 (-2.6%)
  5. Leeds 5190 (+17.6%)
  6. Manchester City 2456 (+9.8%)
  7. Chelsea 1715 (-9.5%)
  8. West Ham 898 (-2.1%)
  9. Stoke 710 (-4.8%)
  10. Everton 575 (-7.9%)

Seems "the most popular club in the World (Ricks unsubstantiated statement) aren't even as popular as liverpool in norway. Thanks Rick ☺

I doubt "the most popular club in thw World" are as popular as liverpool in Thailand also. Though as pointed out, lots of people change their allegiances. In my time in Thailand i reckon liverpool were most popular then it was ManU and now it's liverpool again. Why? Because people with no direct or local allegiance jump on board the most successful club at that time.

9 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Oh my bad... it was an article which BB recommended, not a book.

Anyway... the important point is that he's greasy. 

The article you refer to Rick is "Exclusive: Garry Cook’s extraordinary Man City stories – bidding for Messi, borrowing money for wages and hosting Mancini in spare room (while Hughes was manager)" by The Athletic, written by ex-Guardian man Daniel Taylor (one of my two favourite football journos). Apart from interesting stories from Cook's time at City and in football, the angle of the article was about how we all got Cook wrong. To quote Daniel Taylor:

"How many of us journalists would have to admit that, in Cook’s words, we “probably took the *<deleted>”?

It is why I got back in contact a few weeks ago: to admit that we underestimated him. Not just the media, but the whole of English football. And, sure, he didn’t always do himself any favours (something he will admit). But there is still a formidable body of work to show why the people in charge at City talk about him being one of the more important figures in the club’s modern history. He did know what he was doing — and he was actually bloody good at it."

As a City fan, Cook did LOADS of good stuff for us, and the only thing Cook did wrong that i am aware of was his abuse of Chief's mum for which he rightly resigned from City.

Greasy? Not in my opinion.

Edited by Bredbury Blue
*(extract the urine)

28 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Seems "the most popular club in the World (Ricks unsubstantiated statement) aren't even as popular as liverpool in norway. Thanks Rick ☺

I doubt "the most popular club in thw World" are as popular as liverpool in Thailand also. Though as pointed out, lots of people change their allegiances. In my time in Thailand i reckon liverpool were most popular then it was ManU and now it's liverpool again. Why? Because people with no direct or local allegiance jump on board the most successful club at that time.

Never really "jumped on board" Leicester when they won the league. Always surprised me that.

36 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

The article you refer to Rick is "Exclusive: Garry Cook’s extraordinary Man City stories – bidding for Messi, borrowing money for wages and hosting Mancini in spare room (while Hughes was manager)" by The Athletic, written by ex-Guardian man Daniel Taylor (one of my two favourite football journos). Apart from interesting stories from Cook's time at City and in football, the angle of the article was about how we all got Cook wrong. To quote Daniel Taylor:

"How many of us journalists would have to admit that, in Cook’s words, we “probably took the *<deleted>”?

It is why I got back in contact a few weeks ago: to admit that we underestimated him. Not just the media, but the whole of English football. And, sure, he didn’t always do himself any favours (something he will admit). But there is still a formidable body of work to show why the people in charge at City talk about him being one of the more important figures in the club’s modern history. He did know what he was doing — and he was actually bloody good at it."

As a City fan, Cook did LOADS of good stuff for us, and the only thing Cook did wrong that i am aware of was his abuse of Chief's mum for which he rightly resigned from City.

Greasy? Not in my opinion.

Be a good lad and copy the whole article?

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I think we can safely say from Stoke's inclusion that the figures for Norway are 'unique' and can't be seen as a reflection of the whole world.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Our players seem to be made of glass. Medical dept needs looking at. That injury to Rashy seemed so innocuous. 

He took a knock to his back v City.Its probably just an accumulation of that and general tiredness.Young players want to play every game ,older players know their limits and are prepared to sit one out. Liverpool game is obviously important but so is the game after that, Burnley, at home,same number of points available.

You look at most clubs playing recently they all look "leggy" and subject to the inevitable injuries but they are being milked,income over rules common sense.Also with crowd sizes there's only so much money in most peoples pockets so fans have to make decisions.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RickG16 said:

I think we can safely say from Stoke's inclusion that the figures for Norway are 'unique' and can't be seen as a reflection of the whole world.

(Rick thinking earlier: i'll ask Balo how big City are in Norway, that'll shut BB up, he he)

Rick thinking now: Oh fack, Liverpool are big than us in Norway, i'd best fob off the facts on Norway

18 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

(Rick thinking earlier: i'll ask Balo how big City are in Norway, that'll shut BB up, he he)

Rick thinking now: Oh fack, Liverpool are big than us in Norway, i'd best fob off the facts on Norway

It was the City comparison I was more interested in. Stoke stuck out like a sore thumb though, which to me indicates Norway is quite unique in terms of which English clubs they support.

Can you message me the Garry Cook article please? And by the way thanks for the link to that Thai footy site. Pretty good quality. 

14 hours ago, RickG16 said:

think we can safely say from Stoke's inclusion that the figures for Norway are 'unique' and can't be seen as a reflection of the whole world.

They probably are.  This is how Norwegian Stoke supporters looks like. 

73390770_2533213823436299_28047728587256

• Haha 1

Glad to see Rashford is not in the squad for tonight's game.

Said 2 weeks back that there was danger of him playing too many games and OGS now has to wear that.

Tonight's game will not define United's season its beating the teams around them that count for that 4th spot. Last nights results aided that target.

Like to see Martial and James start up front and hope that Liverpool are a bit leggy too.

Back 3, with Brandon Williams, whose on fire at the moment, and Dalot, who is with the squad, as wing backs and give it a real good go with pace on the break.

Good luck to Ashley Young, lucky to get an 18 mth contract at his age,not sure he will get that many games with Inter but like Valencia his time had come.Never liked the careless fouls he gave away around the box but always gave 100% and a pity he lost the ability to pop up with goals.

If my memory serves me he scored 2 screamers v Arsenal in that 8-2 ? rout a few years back.

Talk of a Director of Football,Luis Campos, finally being appointed shortly lets hope so 

On 1/19/2020 at 4:48 PM, Sparkles said:

Talk of a Director of Football,Luis Campos, finally being appointed shortly lets hope so

Don't hold your breath. According to the French press he has no intention of leaving LOSC.

13 hours ago, RickG16 said:

I agree. If Martial had a right foot we could have easily nicked a point.

So if he'd been more clinic you'd have had a goal and if we'd been more clinical we'd have had another 5 or 6 so...yaknow ????????‍♂️

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

So if he'd been more clinic you'd have had a goal and if we'd been more clinical we'd have had another 5 or 6 so...yaknow ????????‍♂️

This is true. I couldn't believe we went into HT one down. But then I couldn't believe we didn't equalise in the 2nd half (it wasn't just Martial that had chances).

The fact is as Ole said we were in the game until the last kick, and that's with a load of influential players missing; from Rashy to McTominay and Pogba.

Very interested to see who we buy this Jan. Fernandes and Cavani will do for me. 

2 hours ago, jellydog said:

I'm starting to think Pogba is not quite the jerk I thought he was. Only starting mind you.:wink:

Wow, keep us updated will you.... I'm sure Pogba and the everyone connected with United is praying that you will change your mind one day. 

On 1/21/2020 at 11:28 PM, RickG16 said:

Wow, keep us updated will you.... I'm sure Pogba and the everyone connected with United is praying that you will change your mind one day. 

Big mistake not getting shot of him in the Summer. He'll be fit for the Euros.

Harry Maguire was awful, again. No Lindelof to cover his backside.

• Like 2

“Marlo: Liverpool keeper Alisson has more Premier League assists this season than Fred.”........no way! What more than the “young Roy Keane!”

Looks like they need to put OLS out of his misery. Poch gotta be sitting, watching and licking his lips, and I am sure there will be movements behind the scenes to snap him up pretty soon before someone else does. Being the Pro he is I’ve no doubt he will be doing his homework already to try and turn this round. 

(.......I’ve also a feeling Jones and Matic won’t be part of that somehow. )

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1