The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

6 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Lastly lot of "hate" continues to breed unchecked in our game. To some its a natural instinct which indicates their lack of mental capacity.Only takes one  incident during someones life to set some people off.

To the contrary, in fact it's quite normal for a football fan to hate another football club. Read and learn.

The psychology of football rivalries

Why does supporting one club mean you have to hate another?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/23/the-psychology-of-football-rivalries

Edited by Bredbury Blue

14 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

To the contrary, in fact it's quite normal for a football fan to hate another football club. Read and learn.

The psychology of football rivalries

Why does supporting one club mean you have to hate another?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/23/the-psychology-of-football-rivalries

I don't need to read just another opinion.Neither do I need to learn anything I haven't already experienced over many years in the game.  You can't appear to distinguish between rivalry and hate. Keep "hating" if it helps you through life

20 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Bruno being big in Portugal might mean as much as OGS being a winning manager in the Eliteserien.

Are you going to build your team around him also?

Well I think you would agree he did OK last night.Someone said that was his 3rd game in a week. When Pogba ,McTominay and Matic ,who appears to have a new lease, on life are back we just might see his game lift even further. Build a team around him,possibly ,who knows ?

Another clean sheet just found wanting in the final third.Every game v Wolves has been similar.

As for Kadilo's comment about Fred he picked up player of the month for January which reflects his recent improvement ,helps if you watch the games

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

As for Kadilo's comment about Fred he picked up player of the month for January which reflects his recent improvement ,helps if you watch the games

Tough competition. 
Didn’t watch your game last night as I was coming home from a game myself,  but did hear a season ticket caller on Radio 5 telling Chris Sutton how disgusted he was with the performance and OLS to be happy with the performance as he got a clean sheet at home. He did rant on about your Brazilians too but he’s only a season ticket holder after all. 

Takes all sorts. 

Edited by Kadilo

I don't need to read just another opinion.Neither do I need to learn anything I haven't already experienced over many years in the game.  You can't appear to distinguish between rivalry and hate. Keep "hating" if it helps you through life

You're too proud to read the Guardian's very long and informative article, which even references Freud. If you'd read the article you'd learn about rivalries, hate and the reasons why it's quite normal for a fan to hate certain teams.

How are  those blinkers mate?

20 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

You're too proud to read the Guardian's very long and informative article, which even references Freud. If you'd read the article you'd learn about rivalries, hate and the reasons why it's quite normal for a fan to hate certain teams.

How are  those blinkers mate?

Nothing to do with pride or having blinkers . I've been in the game since 1952 in one way or another.Playing over 350 games, 10 years coaching,5 years scouting, refereeing & admin,editing a football newspaper.I think that has given me enough experience not to have to read every article that comes to the surface and its just, at the end of the day, only another authors opinion. 

I and past team mates have at times been on the end of some very violent "fan" behaviour but I don't carry grudges neither am I misanthropist which you obviously are and your obsession with anything that denigrates Man United. A club yours will never equal in history or achievement.

Why don't you pop down to the Arsenal thread which has been virtually abandoned and give them some of your pearls of wisdom.Of course you wont, its Man U always in your sights.

You successfully cleaned out Spurs posters by boring them and us witless and quite a few that used to post on the United thread,there were at one time at least 10 regular posters.

After last night perhaps you could start a "Manchester City in Decline" thread. Give you something to do

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nothing to do with pride or having blinkers . I've been in the game since 1952 in one way or another.Playing over 350 games, 10 years coaching,5 years scouting, refereeing & admin,editing a football newspaper.I think that has given me enough experience not to have to read every article that comes to the surface and its just, at the end of the day, only another authors opinion. 

I and past team mates have at times been on the end of some very violent "fan" behaviour but I don't carry grudges neither am I misanthropist which you obviously are and your obsession with anything that denigrates Man United. A club yours will never equal in history or achievement.

Why don't you pop down to the Arsenal thread which has been virtually abandoned and give them some of your pearls of wisdom.Of course you wont, its Man U always in your sights.

You successfully cleaned out Spurs posters by boring them and us witless and quite a few that used to post on the United thread,there were at one time at least 10 regular posters.

After last night perhaps you could start a "Manchester City in Decline" thread. Give you something to do

^ Somebody offers something to read in support of their argument, and you won't read it because you've been involved in the game since year dot; your ignorance is showing mate.

And having “been in the game since 1952 in one way or another” clearly doesn’t equip you to be a psychoanalyst and have a greater knowledge of rivalry, hate, etc. I’ve given you a very good intelligent article which explains why it is normal for fans to hate their rivalries but if you don’t want to read it up to you.

I always find it funny that you're always harping on about your past glories, but you're a wee bit shy in telling us where you're from, and where exactly were these past glories took place. We can all make it up to embellish our posts.

You mention that City will never equal in history or achievement (ManU presumably). You are probably right, but football isn't static, and things constantly change. Clubs once big are no longer big (Huddersfield, Wolves...), there's no divine right to be successful (ManU and Liverpool went 24 and 30 seasons respectively without being champions) and as you will probably be aware City we're the bigger Manchester club pre-WW2 so could that happen again? We've won the PL 4 out 7 seasons is it to your zero wins, we're catching up on the Revenue front and expected to overtake you this season, the more years you are in decline the more fans round the world choose the PL Champions that season as their team...it could well be a gradual catching up. Even worse for you, your 'derby opponents' (555) Liverpool look like knocking you off your perch trophy-wise, and just driving around there's a scarcity of ManU stickers on cars these days as all you see are mainly Scouse stickers (I love all these fair-weather fans you two clubs have).

I, like others, used to go on the Arsenal thread but as there's nothing happening there why would I bother unless somebody posts something.

The Spurs thread I understood to be quiet due to a combination of not doing too well this season and a couple of ‘em are...it's best not say.

Of course, I go on the ManU thread to post banter just like the reds go on the City thread to post banter’ I’m ok with that, so should you be. I never understand why guys like you don't understand banter and take it personally when an opposing fan posts something against your beloved team.

Thanks for reminding me about the 'ManU in decline' thread; I might just have to reactivate it.

Do you seriously think City are in decline, because I don’t? We're not having the season or form of the past 2 seasons - and of course Liverpool are on fire - but we're involved in all the cups and we’re 2nd still in the PL, and I think the table correctly reflects we're the 2nd best team this season even when we're not firing on all cylinders. We'll get rid of a few and strengthen a few positions n the summer and then it'll be back to City, Liverpool and probably another team (can't see it be ManU for some years) fighting each other for the title.

Happy days to be a blue! ????

Edited by Bredbury Blue

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2020 at 1:30 AM, 3 minus 2 said:

despite  var <deleted> up a very good three points for utd tonight.

good 2 see bailly bac . just oozes class .  no matter what  anyone says when out .. he's a HUGE miss.

think three across the bac suits you atm. 

Utd are looking better for sure....a decent striker and another defender and they will be close again I think.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Shhhh Bob....Its Ole at the wheel!

Got to admit, watching Jose's press conferences recently I think I would rather have Ole's sometimes mindless optimism than all that negativity.

Anyone can see Spurs have a load of injuries, but why go on about it? I what it does is give the players who play an excuse to fail. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

9 days since a red posted on here. Nothing worth saying or too busy stirring things up on the City thread.

I thought it was a hard fought game between two competitive sides. Had an edge without going OTT. Reminded me of Section 1 in FIFA's fair play code:

"Winning is without value if victory has been achieved unfairly or dishonestly. Cheating is easy, but brings no pleasure. Playing fair requires courage and character. It is also more satisfying. Fair play always has its reward, even when the game is lost. Playing fair earns respect, while cheating only brings shame. Remember: it is only a game. And games are pointless unless played fairly."

Couldn't be more relevant in today's game don't you think? Could easily be applied regarding financial matters too. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

9 days since a red posted on here. Nothing worth saying or too busy stirring things up on the City thread.

You would of thought what with their improving performances and the decent run they are on would of happy to post how OLS is proving people wrong. 
Shows what the real agenda is I guess 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

I thought it was a hard fought game between two competitive sides

totally agree - Everton played a blinder and the goal keeper was exceptional

I think a good result for both teams 

There is no easy game in the EPL and should never approach a game like you're a cert to win

yes it would have been nice to get 3 points 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

You would of thought what with their improving performances and the decent run they are on would of happy to post how OLS is proving people wrong. 

what ?

you want to win everything - every game - every session - every sporting event ….. just win everything 

maybe you should look at something else to follow - like movie fiction - the ending is how it is written - called a script

10 minutes ago, smedly said:

what ?

you want to win everything - every game - every session - every sporting event ….. just win everything 

maybe you should look at something else to follow - like movie fiction - the ending is how it is written - called a script

W.t.f.are you bumbling on about?

Bit pointless quoting me when you’re answer has nothing to do with what I said. 

Edited by Kadilo

7 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Oh so true.

As there's no ManU posters I'll post one for them. I like the new signing, established himself already easily ManUs best player. I reckon hes good enough to make our bench.

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Oh so true.

As there's no ManU posters I'll post one for them. I like the new signing, established himself already easily ManUs best player. I reckon hes good enough to make our bench.

He has certainly made a huge difference to their side. Unlike some he has settled in and up and running straight off. Probably final nail in coffin for Pogba who has shot himself in the foot as he’s no longer required and won’t be top dog. The fans have a new hero who actually wants to play and seems to fit in and clearly liked by the other players. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Do those questioning his 80M price tag know that we just had the second longest run of clean sheets in Europe (or something like that). 

Wouldn’t be many clean sheets if she was interviewing every week. 

On 3/1/2020 at 5:35 PM, wilai said:

Pickford 1-1 de Gea????

O'Hara 1-1 Suarez ????

Manchester United loanee Kieran O'Hara banned for biting opponent

Burton Albion goalkeeper Kieran O'Hara, on loan from Manchester United, has been banned for six games for biting an opponent.

O'Hara was found guilty of a charge which arose from an incident involving Peterborough's Sammie Szmodics during Saturday's 1-1 draw at Burton.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/11951303/manchester-united-loanee-kieran-ohara-banned-for-biting-opponent