The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

7 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

How much did Harry Maguire cost again...????????????

It was a collective mistake IMO. Wouldn't be surprised if that was a Jose plan - target Shaw from the goal kicks and then flood the right hand flank.

After sitting on their asses for a few months a bit of sloppiness is forgiveable. Don't forget DDG and the defence had an excellent record in the ten or so games before lockdown.

More of a conundrum to me is the midfield. McTominay + Fred doesn't offer enough going forward in many games. But IMO Pogba + either of those would leave us too weak defensively. I like McTominay and Fred but almost incredibly, Matic-Pogba might actually be our most balanced midfield. 

Thoughts @Sparkles @nev ?

15 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Wow... It's the resident weight watcher.

I'm sure you are as svelt as a teenage gymnastJust for your information no one has paid 80 million for me to be their centre half on top of the extortionate wages he is on. 

Why don’t you listen to Roy Keane and take your blinkers off. He somehow manages to tell it how it is as opposed to sucking off players who were embarrassing. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, RickG16 said:

It was a collective mistake IMO. Wouldn't be surprised if that was a Jose plan - target Shaw from the goal kicks and then flood the right hand flank.

After sitting on their asses for a few months a bit of sloppiness is forgiveable. Don't forget DDG and the defence had an excellent record in the ten or so games before lockdown.

More of a conundrum to me is the midfield. McTominay + Fred doesn't offer enough going forward in many games. But IMO Pogba + either of those would leave us too weak defensively. I like McTominay and Fred but almost incredibly, Matic-Pogba might actually be our most balanced midfield. 

Sure it was a collectively bad effort, but come on man, go have a look again at Maguire's effort. That was Sunday football at its worst. Any CB worth his salt could have jockeyed Bergwijn towards the sideline/byline and slowed him down, his positioning was horrendous, followed by an even worse turn, he looks like he needs a new hip turning like a 60 year old. It was bad. 

4 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Why don’t you listen to Roy Keane and take your blinkers off. He somehow manages to tell it how it is as opposed to sucking off players who were embarrassing. 

if Manu was embarrassing what does that say about spurs

I believe one of our last outings was giving Manc a pasting - not too shabby

what is your point anyway - how is your own team doing - don't know who they are and have little interest in commenting - must be impressive 

4 hours ago, Kadilo said:

I'm sure you are as svelt as a teenage gymnastJust for your information no one has paid 80 million for me to be their centre half on top of the extortionate wages he is on. 

It does fee like Roy Keane is actually playing the character Roy Keane at times. You can see why he didn't make it as a manager. 

Did you see the eyes on him when Evra told him he'd give the players a lift home, I thought he was going to dive across the table ????

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

It does fee like Roy Keane is actually playing the character Roy Keane at times. You can see why he didn't make it as a manager. 

Did you see the eyes on him when Evra told him he'd give the players a lift home, I thought he was going to dive across the table ????

Yeah, Keane as Keane. He's definitely working on his Roy the badass persona.

I thought Evra actually got a hint of a smile out of Keane.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smedly said:

if Manu was embarrassing what does that say about spurs

I believe one of our last outings was giving Manc a pasting - not too shabby

what is your point anyway - how is your own team doing - don't know who they are and have little interest in commenting - must be impressive 

1) I didn’t say United were embarrassing. I actually thought  they played some good stuff at times. 

2) My point is clear. 

3) My lot are a shower and I have already commented on their performance and they are far from impressive.
 Your perogative if you want to comment or not. Makes not odds to me either way. 

Edited by Kadilo

6 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

I don't think there's a CB in football - with the possible exception of Maldini - that hasn't made a tit out of themselves at some point. I remember Vidic getting skinned by Bellamy in his first six months but he soon improved.

Granted, Maguire has been around for longer than Vidic. This is a black mark against him and he needs to improve, especially with Bailly an option. He is droppable despite being cap.

Can't afford many more errors from him or DDG, but my point is considering the lay off, this isn't crisis time in the context of the last few months, despite you wanting it to be.

EDIT. Not quite sure why I quoted an unrelated comment!

Edited by RickG16

On 6/20/2020 at 9:30 PM, RickG16 said:

Sorry mate only watched part of the game as I had to go to work so I won't comment to much.

First game back we was a bit rusty but from now on until the end of the season I can see us going unbeaten but just miss out on top 5 to Chelsea.

Maybe get into the champions league by winning the Europa league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nev said:

Sorry mate only watched part of the game as I had to go to work so I won't comment to much.

First game back we was a bit rusty but from now on until the end of the season I can see us going unbeaten but just miss out on top 5 to Chelsea.

Maybe get into the champions league by winning the Europa league.

Hi Nev and Rick,Thought there might be some discussion about the match from posters,seems its the Harry Maguire with target on his back show.Of course if Luke Shaw had stepped back,taken the ball on his chest and passed it or headed it out instead of bobbing it up in the air off his head it probably wouldn't have happened,that's football. I still remember Rio against City having Bellamy make him looking like he was standing still as Rio presented with a wayward pass and Bellamy outpaced him and scored,he liked scoring against Utd. Ferdinand , Vidic, De Gea I can't remember a player who didn't make a mistake.Of course if you're an attacker you're not under such scrutiny

After being one down it was pretty predictable that Mourinho would settle for that score and vehemently deny that Pogba's mazy run ending in him being fouled by Dier was a penalty.Liked how Fernando grabbed the ball and Pogba showed appreciation, with his body language, when the ball hit the back of the net.

Young Mason Greenwood (18) came a whisker from scoring at the death and I would suggest he is ready to replace James on the right wing with James being used as a late sub when opposition legs are tiring.Greenwood my Carrington contact tells me has put on nearly 5 kg over the break and certainly looked stronger.He's going to be a huge asset in years to come.

Top 4 or 5, depending on what happens with City, is going to be really tight, could even go to goal difference.

13 games now undefeated but need to put the ball in the back of the net more often.

Mc Tominay has signed a new contract, up until 2025 I think. That's the way to go for me through talented Academy players.Big heart,tough and improving, always gives 100%.

Edited by Sparkles

15 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Hi Nev and Rick,Thought there might be some discussion about the match from posters,seems its the Harry Maguire with target on his back show

I like Maguire, however he does get caught square along the line of the defence, which doesn't give him much leeway when he is being taken on at speed by an attacker.

And anyway, a good pacey forward will make most defenders look slow if they take them on at speed, especially if the defender is standing too close or too square.

Will be interesting to see how the next game goes with regards to Pogba and whatever other midfield combination is selected.

21 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Hi Nev and Rick,Thought there might be some discussion about the match from posters,seems its the Harry Maguire with target on his back show.Of course if Luke Shaw had stepped back,taken the ball on his chest and passed it or headed it out instead of bobbing it up in the air off his head it probably wouldn't have happened,that's football. I still remember Rio against City having Bellamy make him looking like he was standing still as Rio presented with a wayward pass and Bellamy outpaced him and scored,he liked scoring against Utd. Ferdinand , Vidic, De Gea I can't remember a player who didn't make a mistake.Of course if you're an attacker you're not under such scrutiny

After being one down it was pretty predictable that Mourinho would settle for that score and vehemently deny that Pogba's mazy run ending in him being fouled by Dier was a penalty.Liked how Fernando grabbed the ball and Pogba showed appreciation, with his body language, when the ball hit the back of the net.

Young Mason Greenwood (18) came a whisker from scoring at the death and I would suggest he is ready to replace James on the right wing with James being used as a late sub when opposition legs are tiring.Greenwood my Carrington contact tells me has put on nearly 5 kg over the break and certainly looked stronger.He's going to be a huge asset in years to come.

Top 4 or 5, depending on what happens with City, is going to be really tight, could even go to goal difference.

13 games now undefeated but need to put the ball in the back of the net more often.

Mc Tominay has signed a new contract, up until 2025 I think. That's the way to go for me through talented Academy players.Big heart,tough and improving, always gives 100%.

Agree with most of that... as usual.

Yeah it was odd how Shaw almost got off scot free from the pundits, when he caused the mess. He can be expected to be targeted by GK frequently now (if he wasn't already), so let's hope it's something he can iron out.

I don't expect there to be too many changes vs Sheff U.. I expect he'll look to build the match fitness of the first 11, and then use the FA Cup game at the weekend to give the others a run out.

You'd think Pogba could start. Maybe Greenwood over James. If Martial no shows and Ighalo scores in the Cup, could he be given a proper run in the first team? I really like Ighalo, just a shame he won't be here permanently. 

Edited by RickG16

Bit of  a stroll in the park last night. You have to feel sorry for clubs like Sheffield with a smaller squad and little quality on the bench.Those clubs in a similar situation with numbers are going to suffer in the next flurry of games and their players looked tired and I guess mentally they know they wont get relegated and have over achieved. Was surprised they even had 32 % possession they were chasing shadows all game. Didn't do Utd's goal difference any harm

Some positives for United, Greenwood looked comfortable but as he gets more experience he will be more valuable in front of goal.Fernando and Pogba did some good stuff and Matic has lifted his game to a different level, no longer ambling around,looked sharp and was valuable linking up attacks.

Martial MOM obviously. OGS has been telling him for a while to get into the box more often,maybe he now understands why. Rashford still looks rusty needs more games to get up to scratch

So onto the FA Cup Romero ,Brandon Williams ,Fred, Ighalo,James surely will be in the run on side. Lingard and Dalot's absence, not even on the bench, might be an indication they are eventually on the way out, on loan or an unlikely sale in today's climate.

On 6/23/2020 at 8:39 PM, RickG16 said:

Agree with most of that... as usual.

Yeah it was odd how Shaw almost got off scot free from the pundits, when he caused the mess. He can be expected to be targeted by GK frequently now (if he wasn't already), so let's hope it's something he can iron out.

Oh right so It's Shaw who "caused the mess" now that the Oracle has given his wisdom...Why didn't you say that when we discussed it....you didn't even mention it. Get your nose out his backside...

56 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Oh right so It's Shaw who "caused the mess" now that the Oracle has given his wisdom...Why didn't you say that when we discussed it....you didn't even mention it. Get your nose out his backside...

Look who's got their nickers in a twist... Avatar change incoming?

I didn't mention Shaw because we were talking about Maguire specifically

We did not play well too many changes but changes was needed with a heavy schedule coming up, But hey ho we are into the semi finals another game to look forward too.

• Like 2

Pretty dire performance but with another 2 games next week I guess OGS had little choice but to hope the run on side could do the job.It wasn't until the cavalry came on that it livened up. 66% possession 36 shots but only 8 on target tells the story.I wish Ingahlo could stay, he's a natural poacher and only he knows why he went to China, crazy money ? Fighting on 3 fronts is going to take its toll but Wembley still has some magic. 

After watching a replay of last nights Brighton game it would appear that those who were on the run on side are without doubt the best team United can put out. Only player who looked off his best was Rashford but others helped remind us of how poor the team performances were

Breath of fresh air, crisp passing and always looking for runners going forward.

Usual gossip of new signings, why Utd would want to pay between 50-100 m for Sancho is beyond me especially when Greenwood is improving with every game and making that right flank his own.

A lot depends on Pogba's future.I hope he stays, his combination with Fernando is growing and if Grealish does come in I doubt he would replace either of them.

The next transfer window may well be the quietest of all time.  The "Ole Out" brigade seem to have gone into hibernation. If they can make CL his job is more than secure.

On 7/1/2020 at 6:04 PM, Sparkles said:

After watching a replay of last nights Brighton game it would appear that those who were on the run on side are without doubt the best team United can put out. Only player who looked off his best was Rashford but others helped remind us of how poor the team performances were

Breath of fresh air, crisp passing and always looking for runners going forward.

Usual gossip of new signings, why Utd would want to pay between 50-100 m for Sancho is beyond me especially when Greenwood is improving with every game and making that right flank his own.

A lot depends on Pogba's future.I hope he stays, his combination with Fernando is growing and if Grealish does come in I doubt he would replace either of them.

The next transfer window may well be the quietest of all time.  The "Ole Out" brigade seem to have gone into hibernation. If they can make CL his job is more than secure.

Looking forward to another Matic masterclass today. Really don't like to say 'I told you so'........ but.....

On the 20th June at 7:30pm I said: "I like McTominay and Fred but almost incredibly, Matic-Pogba might actually be our most balanced midfield."

Edited by RickG16
  • Like 1

At 18, Greenwood is a United first-teamer and with 15 goals to his name in his first full season. That is more than double Cristiano Ronaldo's tally of six in 2003-04 and two off Wayne Rooney's haul the next season.

I think he had only 2 shots at goal and scored both times

Edited by ChipButty
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Looking forward to another Matic masterclass today. Really don't like to say 'I told you so'........ but.....

On the 20th June at 7:30pm I said: "I like McTominay and Fred but almost incredibly, Matic-Pogba might actually be our most balanced midfield."

And on June 25 I said "Matic has lifted his game to another level" so on that we agree???? also later that trying to sign Sancho for 50-100 m is crazy when we have Greenwood making rapid progress. 2 years back a family connection at Carrington told me of Greenwood's ability to take penalties with both feet.

At that stage he was only 16.In my football lifetime I can't remember a young player having such power in both feet,neither shot last night was far from the keeper it was the power that beat him.

The obvious negative factor was the defence of Maguire and de Gea both had switched off ,surely we will not go back to a time when the thought process was "You can score 2 we will score more"

The VAR decision on the penalty for me, and those commentating, was a joke surely it was Bailley's shoulder.The sooner it goes back to "deliberate hand ball" the better the game will be

Maguire has played every game this year ,he wouldn't be human if he wasn't in need of a rest. Same with Matic he could sit one out. Fred was 100% full energy when he came on and very effective. Next game Villa Thursday. Exciting times

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

At 18, Greenwood is a United first-teamer and with 15 goals to his name in his first full season. That is more than double Cristiano Ronaldo's tally of six in 2003-04 and two off Wayne Rooney's haul the next season.

I think he had only 2 shots at goal and scored both times

Welcome back Chip Butty! When you post I know we are doing well! 

• Like 1