The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

I have to say Luke Shaw surprised me yesterday,  he was world class.  Maybe all the injuries made us forget how good he really is. Let's see if he can continue the good run.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, balo said:

I have to say Luke Shaw surprised me yesterday,  he was world class.  Maybe all the injuries made us forget how good he really is. Let's see if he can continue the good run.  

Yeah bloody good player... Think the 'world class' is a bit ott.. BUT the injuries have 100% taken a yard of pace away from him.. if the injuries hadn't happened   then probably .....when he arrived at utd he often made pacy runs flyin past opponent's   now... It's down to his timing and nouce. Which imo is really good        Oh..just a side thingy    I did a course with a guy who worked at xoachin side of Southampton when  shaw was there.. apparently.when he was lookin for a move his old man and Shaw was repping him himself m.. apparently Jose was at the chavs att and Shaw walked in and TOLD Jose what he wanted in a v v 'direct manner' ... Needless to say Jose didn't sign him and so the story went he left the chavs with a sharp and to the point 'summery' from Jose. 

• Like 1

2 opinions from former Liverpool players on ESPN FC today that agree with...

Steve Nicol - Salah is a player that relies on moments of genius. When his magic wand isnt working he doesn't have much left.

Don Hutchinson - United definitely didn't 'do a Spurs' against Liverpool. We were under pressure for the first 30 mins and after that the game was pretty even.

Let's embrace the feeling of a title race tonight... City play first then it's our turn. We need to get back to winning ways.

If we can keep in the race you just never know. I still think we could play much better especially where finishing is concerned. 

32 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

What's your team for tonight Chip Butty? Does Bruno get a rest? Bailly back in?

DDG
AWB Bailly Maguire Shaw
Pogba Matic
Greenwood Bruno Rashford
Cavani

We need to win or that draw against Liverpool means nothing

7 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

2-0 or what?

Screenshot_20210117-190459_Samsung-Internet.jpg

I'll take any win. I'm a bit jumpy about tonight. We are creating chances which is a good thing, but our finishing needs to improve.

If we have a good first half then 2-0... why not. Let's be patient and grow into the game.

• Like 1

I think any Man U supporter would, at the start of the season be surprised to see where they are on the table. However, and only my opinion, until the team gets more balance any trophy is quite a way off.

By that I mean the continuing absence of a real right wing, and not a fill in, and a genuine 20 goals + striker which they don't have.

Have never considered Rashford or Martial, as yet,  to have the instinct to be a genuine "street smart" number 9 and OGS seems a little reluctant to start Cavani regularly in the position. Bringing him on with 20 minutes to go is just not productive to him getting his goal tally up. His ability to create space and make runs without being constantly offside is his strength. 

Currently Fernandes is way in front in goal tally, albeit through many from the spot, but if he doesn't fire, like the last 2 games, we are pretty toothless.

United haven't had a genuine right winger for quite a few seasons .Greenwood is not a natural winger. Probably have to go back to when Valencia was a converted winger to RB but had the ability to get forward and provide crosses and having Pogba or Fernandes out to the right is not where they should be, they must play in more central roles.New signing, or Diallo, in time might  solve that but its currently a very lopsided approach. Of course they had potentially one in Zaha but gave him away for ,from memory, 4 million.

The defence seems to have sorted itself out .Was surprised Lindelof was selected and played well against Liverpool and maybe he will rotate with Bailly to partner Maguire. Tuanzebe is more than capable for rotation with WB and Luke Shaw if he can stay fit is undroppable.

Anyway its only the half way point and this is a weird season, even the bookies don't have a clue.

cheers

• Like 2

Manchester United player ratings: Paul Pogba and Luke Shaw good vs Fulham

Edinson Cavani and Paul Pogba scored for Man United to send them top again and here are how the players rated at Craven Cottage.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester-united-player-ratings-fulham-19667793

12 hours ago, Sparkles said:

I think any Man U supporter would, at the start of the season be surprised to see where they are on the table. However, and only my opinion, until the team gets more balance any trophy is quite a way off.

By that I mean the continuing absence of a real right wing, and not a fill in, and a genuine 20 goals + striker which they don't have.

Have never considered Rashford or Martial, as yet,  to have the instinct to be a genuine "street smart" number 9 and OGS seems a little reluctant to start Cavani regularly in the position. Bringing him on with 20 minutes to go is just not productive to him getting his goal tally up. His ability to create space and make runs without being constantly offside is his strength. 

Currently Fernandes is way in front in goal tally, albeit through many from the spot, but if he doesn't fire, like the last 2 games, we are pretty toothless.

United haven't had a genuine right winger for quite a few seasons .Greenwood is not a natural winger. Probably have to go back to when Valencia was a converted winger to RB but had the ability to get forward and provide crosses and having Pogba or Fernandes out to the right is not where they should be, they must play in more central roles.New signing, or Diallo, in time might  solve that but its currently a very lopsided approach. Of course they had potentially one in Zaha but gave him away for ,from memory, 4 million.

The defence seems to have sorted itself out .Was surprised Lindelof was selected and played well against Liverpool and maybe he will rotate with Bailly to partner Maguire. Tuanzebe is more than capable for rotation with WB and Luke Shaw if he can stay fit is undroppable.

Anyway its only the half way point and this is a weird season, even the bookies don't have a clue.

cheers

Yes sparks I'm seeing a VERY strong balanced defence with good competition for almost every spot.  A midfield that can hold and make a goalscoring contribution and a four man strike force thats scoring and overall WILL give a decent return...atm for me Ollie's got his squad about bang on the money   Next to the resurgent city I make you my favs for the prem.

13 hours ago, RickG16 said:

I'm still in 2 minds with Pogba. He scores a goal like he can but then in the first few minutes when we needed to put a stamp on the game he goes missing. Still not a CDM for me, yet he made the difference attacking wise.

I watched the game live and a repeat and think you may be being a bit unfair to Pogba. In the last few minutes when they were under the pump he was back in defence and made clearances utilising his height. For me his fitness and commitment levels are at a new level and for the future its may well make a huge difference instead of relying on Fernades to do what creative players do.

That strike would be among Pogbas best ever and as I said previously Cavani knew where to be for sniffing out his goal. I think he has scored over 400 goals in his career. Possibly a little lucky that their finishing was poor they certainly had chances. Can't always rely on Pogba and Fernandes. Martial and Rashford need to step up .Martial especially has gone back to being non productive 

So 40 points which means at the half way point United have possible avoided relegation????

Making OGS job difficult by not being able to use the whole squad, seems squeezing out wins is not easy in this unusual season so fielding your best team is a priority.

1 minute ago, Sparkles said:

I watched the game live and a repeat and think you may be being a bit unfair to Pogba. In the last few minutes when they were under the pump he was back in defence and made clearances utilising his height. For me his fitness and commitment levels are at a new level and for the future its may well make a huge difference instead of relying on Fernades to do what creative players do.

That strike would be among Pogbas best ever and as I said previously Cavani knew where to be for sniffing out his goal. I think he has scored over 400 goals in his career. Possibly a little lucky that their finishing was poor they certainly had chances. Can't always rely on Pogba and Fernandes. Martial and Rashford need to step up .Martial especially has gone back to being non productive 

So 40 points which means at the half way point United have possible avoided relegation????

Making OGS job difficult by not being able to use the whole squad, seems squeezing out wins is not easy in this unusual season so fielding your best team is a priority.

He has tremendous ability and so many attributes needed for central midfield. Both technical and physical.

Thing is Sparkles he's always shown signs of being absent minded. That's what makes me jumpy with him playing there.

I can't forget some of the horror shows of the last 4 seasons, but agree long may this form continue.

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

Must watch video, I reckon this was Moyes biggest mistake sacking Rene

I think Moyes was a bit overawed by coming to United, and keeping his own back room staff was his way of feeling 'in control'.

I wonder why Meulesteen has been out of work though. Since he was in charge at Fulham I think. 

What's your team for Sunday Chip Butty? I think McFred looks inevitable with Pogba playing further foward (Matic seems to play every 3 games, so won't be due until midweek). I think Cavani will keep his place and maybe Rashford will come in for Greenwood / Martial. 

Mason has had a very different season to last. But it is a good time for him to learn from Cavani, and develop other sides of his game apart from his finishing. 

26 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I think Moyes was a bit overawed by coming to United, and keeping his own back room staff was his way of feeling 'in control'.

I wonder why Meulesteen has been out of work though. Since he was in charge at Fulham I think. 

Some years ago after Moyes got sacked from United I rented my villa to a guy and his wife and he worked for Everton we had some great conversation he didn't say much about Moyes, who were his assistants at that time Steve Round? He told me some great stories about Rooney,

23 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

What's your team for Sunday Chip Butty? I think McFred looks inevitable with Pogba playing further foward (Matic seems to play every 3 games, so won't be due until midweek). I think Cavani will keep his place and maybe Rashford will come in for Greenwood / Martial. 

Mason has had a very different season to last. But it is a good time for him to learn from Cavani, and develop other sides of his game apart from his finishing. 

Not sure what we go for, and Liverpool also need to rotate they have some big games coming up, I want to win so let me think about it,

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 4:05 AM, RickG16 said:

He has tremendous ability and so many attributes needed for central midfield. Both technical and physical.

Thing is Sparkles he's always shown signs of being absent minded. That's what makes me jumpy with him playing there.

I can't forget some of the horror shows of the last 4 seasons, but agree long may this form continue.

Big difference now , and it seems to be pretty much 'accepted' , is that at the end of this season he'll be either moved on or new/extended deal needs to be negotiated either way he's gotta step up .. .. that's being cynical about it.. but unfortunately it seems true for SO many players.

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

There you go. See what can happen when you play positive and go for it. Quite a good game that

Does this mean the Playing Style Police aren't coming today?

You can always expect us to attack more at home. At Anfield we always gone there and kept it tight. Under Fergie too.