The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Seen a lot of posts lobbying for resting everyone because SU are garbage. They're not.

Seen a lot of posts lobbying for playing the strongest XI because every game matters. They do, but...

The truth is somewhere in between and we have a strong enough bench that Ole will rotate some, leaving a strong side on the field with strong subs if needed. His rotations so far have really done us well, so I'm for trusting him.

18 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Seen a lot of posts lobbying for resting everyone because SU are garbage. They're not.

Seen a lot of posts lobbying for playing the strongest XI because every game matters. They do, but...

The truth is somewhere in between and we have a strong enough bench that Ole will rotate some, leaving a strong side on the field with strong subs if needed. His rotations so far have really done us well, so I'm for trusting him.

I agree... they looked useful last time we played them, I think it was a close game?

Depends on Rashford's fitness... if he is OK I would play him when he is in this form. As for resting Shaw, it seems to be better for his fitness that he plays every game. If he isn't showing signs of fatigue maybe just play him. 

I didn't see that coming!

Having said that, even though they've been on a good run, their performances haven't really matched their results. A lot of wins by the odd goal, often due to a moment of brilliance by one of their big players rather than dominating the opposition as a team. Even so, I didn't see them losing to Sheffield United. Seems like maybe they took it for granted and weren't really on it, a very lackluster performance.

Interesting to see how they bounce back against Arsenal at the weekend. 

• Like 2

Manchester United player ratings: Anthony Martial and David de Gea poor vs Sheffield United

Man United lost in the Premier League for the first time since November to Sheffield United and here are how the players rated.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester-united-player-ratings-martial-19714943

21 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Oh I enjoyed that...almost as good as the Chelski team trying to play across the pitch instead of end to end.

Yes, and OLS grizzling because they finally didn’t get a decision go their way. 

That young Jagielka guy had a screamer taking care of United’s front line. Looks like he has a future. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 1:43 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

Sparkles comment just above: "Probably United best domestic performance of the season".

I apologise for having an an opinion but stand by that claim then again I watch all our games.

Last nights performance was a shocker, from the penthouse to the basement in one week.

Said it a million times Martial is not a number 9. Putting Cavani on with only 15 minutes to go is not wise, start him, replace him if he tires which he wont.

Faced with  5 defenders, all  pre planned, it proved very effective. Huge opportunity missed but time to move on and start preparing for  the next game 

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:
On 26/01/2021 at 1:43 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

Sparkles comment just above: "Probably United best domestic performance of the season".

I apologise for having an an opinion but stand by that claim then again I watch all our games.

No need to apologise. I was shocked to read your comment that the FA Cup victory over Liverpool was your best performance of the season, but if it was then it fills me with great hope for the rest of our season ????

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Where is Rick? Is he having another one of his “busy” days that only happen when you lose ? 

I've been watching full replay of evening kick offs the day after, and doing my best not to see the scores.... So even when we win I'll be late usually!

13 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Having said that, even though they've been on a good run, their performances haven't really matched their results. A lot of wins by the odd goal, often due to a moment of brilliance by one of their big players rather than dominating the opposition as a team. 

Jonny where have you been? So much has gone on since you were last here... The Lampard sacking, City's run of form, West Ham flying... Didn't fancy chatting about any of that over the past few weeks...?

For what it's worth I agree with your point above. I always felt we've nicked a lot of games through individual brilliance and that's why I was determined to enjoy the title race while we were / are in it! We have and can dominate sometimes, and can soak up pressure and hit teams... For me the problem is that we always look good for letting in a goal.

Tonight it was the 2 defenders with no match fitness who were at fault for second goal. But we have no choice, we have to rotate in a season like this and we just weren't good enough.

Edited by RickG16

38 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I've been watching full replay of evening kick offs the day after, and doing my best not to see the scores.... So even when we win I'll be late usually!

Noticed you were on the forum several times during today - and you didn't look on this thread?

2ufhwNgM3qHKGxq8wdcWAiFpcm29FF1vQ7VZHkTuxCCGZsfLnLKfQYYBLfau5pUnFADMFni4D.gif

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I always felt we've nicked a lot of games through individual brilliance...

I've noticed ManU being called "The moments team" (a team of moments).

Why is your home form poor (but away form good)?

Why do you go behind (before coming back)?

What is the bus driver doing to address these 2 problems?

10 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Noticed you were on the forum several times during today - and you didn't look on this thread?

2ufhwNgM3qHKGxq8wdcWAiFpcm29FF1vQ7VZHkTuxCCGZsfLnLKfQYYBLfau5pUnFADMFni4D.gif

Nope. I also mute any whatsapp groups I think could give away the score and refrain from looking at BBC , Youtube etc 

9 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Jonny where have you been? So much has gone on since you were last here... The Lampard sacking, City's run of form, West Ham flying... Didn't fancy chatting about any of that over the past few weeks...?

For what it's worth I agree with your point above. I always felt we've nicked a lot of games through individual brilliance and that's why I was determined to enjoy the title race while we were / are in it! We have and can dominate sometimes, and can soak up pressure and hit teams... For me the problem is that we always look good for letting in a goal.

Tonight it was the 2 defenders with no match fitness who were at fault for second goal. But we have no choice, we have to rotate in a season like this and we just weren't good enough.

Awww, did you miss me? I took a month off TV to finish a work related project. All done and dusted now so you'll be delighted to see me back posting here.????

United have surprised me with their run of results, credit where it's due. It's been a crazy season so it's hard to say how it will finish up but Utd are looking more likely to get a top 4 finish now, mainly due to Chelsea and Tottenham going off the boil and Arsenal performing so erratically. But we've seen how quickly things can change with the Lampard sacking so it's going to an interesting second half to the season.

21 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

No need to apologise. I was shocked to read your comment that the FA Cup victory over Liverpool was your best performance of the season, but if it was then it fills me with great hope for the rest of our season ????

Here we go again.....Liverpool never field weak teams. They were undone on the day by MU lifting their game with movement, on and off the ball .Pogba, Fernandes and others spraying excellent passes, clinical finishing and an acceptable defensive effort.

Of course being Man U related its simply impossible for you to grant them any positive or constructive remarks it would ruin your reputation, why do you bother posting on this thread ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

They were undone on the day by MU lifting their game with movement, on and off the ball .Pogba, Fernandes and others spraying excellent passes, clinical finishing and an acceptable defensive effort.

Not how i saw it as a neutral, watching both teams, but understandably you'd be watching mainly ManU. As I posted at the time:

I thought Liverpool were the better team but didn't kill of ManU in the periods they dominated.

ManU were good on the counter.

Liverpool were naive in defence leaving themselves open.

Individual errors ultimately gave it to ManU.

Enjoyed watching a game I wanted both teams to lose

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Of course being Man U related its simply impossible for you to grant them any positive or constructive remarks it would ruin your reputation, why do you bother posting on this thread ?

Seems like you can only handle those who come on here to fawn over ManU, sorry that ain't going to happen. And as for positive or constructive remarks, I did state "ManU were good on the counter".