The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

42 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

What's your team Chip Butty? 

De Gea; Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw; Fred, Pogba, Fernandes; Rashford, Cavani, Martial.

I would have included Bailly but he has injury was it some car accident outside the training ground?

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

De Gea; Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw; Fred, Pogba, Fernandes; Rashford, Cavani, Martial.

I would have included Bailly but he has injury was it some car accident outside the training ground?

Hmmm.... not bad but I think if Scott is recovered from that tackle he plays. Maybe instead of Pogba. 

Not sure how Bailly got injured but probably the least surprising team news ever... I'm not sure he has ever managed 5 games in a row in a United shirt?

• Like 1

Manchester United player ratings: Mason Greenwood and Luke Shaw good vs Everton

Edinson Cavani, Bruno Fernandes and Scott McTominay were on target for Man United against Everton and here are how the players rated.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester-united-player-ratings-everton-19786871

Axel Tuanzebe

Came on in added time and got booked. 5

Came on in the 93rd minute, gives away a foul, gets booked and gets the same rating as Magoo and higher than deGea. 

Top drawer ratings. 

Edited by Kadilo

2 points dropped last night and 3 dropped against Sheffield confirms to me the title will not be coming to OT as so many fans, not me, have been hoping, or should we say dreaming about

2 people to blame last night. Firstly OGS with United fully in control and with 80% possession, at the time, why would you take off Greenwood, who was having his best game off the season, and put on Tuanzebe who had be sitting freezing in the stands and was not up to the speed of the game.       You just don't do that all you need to do with 2 minutes to go is you keep the ball, basic tactics. Putting on a sub refs add 30 seconds anyway

The free kick is gifted to them, then the  defending was shambolic but either De Gea misjudged the moment or didn't have the courage to come off his line, smother the ball and the player if necessary ...so soft.

De Gea in the past has been a fantastic keeper but his performances over the last 2 seasons are just not good enough if you want to win anything. At a time when most keepers, of his age, are peaking he's going backwards ,its not just a blip.

I think its time De Gea went onto a new challenge

I've never seen the point of having Dean Henderson if you just going to keep him for cup games makes no sense plus the fact the De Gea is on a huge wage and his value,due to form, is declining year by year, its time to cash in.

I thought United overall were the better team but the score line says otherwise. 

What is it with Ole and subs?

Even if you're in control of a game it's normal to bring fresh legs in.  It's like he doesn't trust the players on the bench.. I can't think of another team in the PL not using subs when it's 20 min's left to play. 

On 2/7/2021 at 10:32 PM, balo said:

What is it with Ole and subs?

Even if you're in control of a game it's normal to bring fresh legs in.  It's like he doesn't trust the players on the bench.. I can't think of another team in the PL not using subs when it's 20 min's left to play. 

He obviously doesn't trust DVB I dont know what the problem is there, 

Manchester United player ratings: Scott McTominay and Dean Henderson good vs West Ham

Man United are through to the quarter-finals of the FA Cup and here are how the players rated against West Ham at Old Trafford.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-united-player-ratings-19805524

Suppose that was about right... Utd 'went' for it slight more,  ie had the ball in the opponent's box more than West ham ...though have to say it was a <deleted> poor game...mind u after some of Tottenham's performances recently you'd think I was used to it.. but hey ho the joys of watching teams with 'defensive' coach's..

4 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Suppose that was about right... Utd 'went' for it slight more,  ie had the ball in the opponent's box more than West ham ...though have to say it was a <deleted> poor game...mind u after some of Tottenham's performances recently you'd think I was used to it.. but hey ho the joys of watching teams with 'defensive' coach's..

Certainly not a classic cup game, seems like Moyes was doing his best not to get beat

2 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I am afraid VDB is just another Depay.

..he's a GOOD footballer..he'll be ok,  He's young and it's just taking a while for him to adapt to the physicality and intensity of the prem... sometimes it does,   Fred was the same..

10 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

..he's a GOOD footballer..he'll be ok,  He's young and it's just taking a while for him to adapt to the physicality and intensity of the prem... sometimes it does,   Fred was the same..

He's not fit enough my friend has a couple of contacts with the trainers at Carrington the word has it he doesn't do any extra training he doesn't stay behind to work on his fitness, he looked dead on his feet at 60 minutes

16 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Fred was the same..

I far as I know Fred put a lot of time into fitness conditioning and training outside of Old Trafford, the story goes Fred and Bruno and Daliot used to go to see this guy who used to be in United academy never quite made it as a player but as a fitness coach he's doing very well,

7 hours ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Yeah that, and showed the gap in quality and the depth of the squads.. mind u given the money utd have spent it ain't that surprising

Really? The gap in quality. We had our best centre half taken off during the game, then his replacement taken off at half time for concussion. 

No recognised centre forward, a rookie kid up front who didn’t get a kick as opposed to a team that played all their first teamers to squeeze out a win in extra time. 

If there was a massive gap in quality then they should have cruised it but they struggled to break down a predominately second / third string. 

The likes of City would have won comfortably despite some resolute defending. Truth is there was very little quality on show from either side but I can excuse us with the changes made. 

Depth of squad I agree with hence why United finally got over the line. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Really? The gap in quality. We had our best centre half taken off during the game, then his replacement taken off at half time for concussion. 

No recognised centre forward, a rookie kid up front who didn’t get a kick as opposed to a team that played all their first teamers to squeeze out a win in extra time. 

If there was a massive gap in quality then they should have cruised it but they struggled to break down a predominately second / third string. 

The likes of City would have won comfortably despite some resolute defending. Truth is there was very little quality on show from either side but I can excuse us with the changes made. 

Have to agree with that...it was a very poor game of football from both sides.

I fell asleep at 85 mins.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Yeah.. you don't necessarily have to have an awful lot of quality to stop a team playing   just v good orgonization and maybe a touch of good fortune helps .... But it takes some 'quality' to break that down..that  you had no replacements is EXACTLY my point  utd have at least 2 quality players for every position.. do you ? How they gel and perform 2 gether is another issue...It wasn't a Knock West ham... It was an observation of the game. When defensive coach's use their 2nd stringers... It seems to have a habit of being unnatractive aka,  utd spurs why that is ... I'm not sure... Not quite the same with Liverpool or city maybe  their on a level in terms of quality... I suppose when your 2nd choise CB pairing like man city cost 100 mil plus it has. A bearing...

On 2/10/2021 at 12:35 AM, ChipButty said:

He's not fit enough my friend has a couple of contacts with the trainers at Carrington the word has it he doesn't do any extra training he doesn't stay behind to work on his fitness, he looked dead on his feet at 60 minutes

Ndembele has had the same ish prob at tottenham... When he joined us he operated at 100% for 25/30 mins...hence Joses last season comments ...he must have worked on his fitness and this season he gradually improved but . Faded d dramatically second half and subbed at 65.. in the last 6/ 7 games Jose's given him 90 mins...now.IMO  he's arguably next to kane our best/most important  player..BUT it's taken him at least a year to adapt.. But these french African players, most have seen the other side of life and maybe that gives them a hunger and from what I can see of your lad.. looks like a really nice middle class lad...maybe the hungers not quite there as It should be...but NO DOUBTS the skill sets are in place ...so the performances WILL come but how long it'll take for the penny to drop... Who knows..

Edited by 3 minus 2