The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

On 2/15/2021 at 12:54 AM, Kadilo said:

....... but OLS still thinks they can win the PL. Talk about delusional. Even Jose isnt that dumb. 

He's never said that in my observation. He's always skirted around predictions apart from "We are in the mix" or words to that effect, but whatever makes you happy

United's tepid display against WBA was a lost moment to put a marker down but after going down after 2 minutes it was obvious what the instructions from Big Sam would be. Everybody behind the ball ,take forever to take a corner ,waste more time where you can and defend like your life depends on it and they did. Rain was slashing down and United were simply not up for it apart from Luke Shaw who made plenty of incisive runs.

Not sure why OGS waited until the 65th minute to replace Martial who had made zero impact and  never looked like he would improve .Fernandes was quiet apart from his stunning goal but too many players were not putting in the hard yards. Greenwood once on certainly made a difference but all too late.

It was poetic justice for a former United keeper to made a fantastic save in the last few seconds ,not for the first time that has happened. WBA deserved what they got.

Onto Europa League and surely Matic ,Mata, VDB, James, Henderson and all the other recent spectators will get a run. Not sure why this competition,due to Covid, was not reduced to just one game at a neutral venue.  

On a positive note Shoretire and Amad are in the squad tonight, hopefully they will get some minutes.

Further down the talent ladder in the Under 18's and 23's.Mc Neil continues scoring goals for fun and 17 yr old Hugill 4 goals in his last game and didn't take a penalty that was on offer. Plenty of home grown talent, well worth watching highlights of the talent coming through, just hope there is a player turnover in the squad next season.

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Onto Europa League and surely Matic ,Mata, VDB, James, Henderson and all the other recent spectators will get a run. Not sure why this competition,due to Covid, was not reduced to just one game at a neutral venue.  

On a positive note Shoretire and Amad are in the squad tonight, hopefully they will get some minutes.

Further down the talent ladder in the Under 18's and 23's.Mc Neil continues scoring goals for fun and 17 yr old Hugill 4 goals in his last game and didn't take a penalty that was on offer. Plenty of home grown talent, well worth watching highlights of the talent coming through, just hope there is a player turnover in the squad next season.

I think they can have 12 subs in the Europa game 

Well, I wasn't expecting that I thought it would have been a much tougher game than that, 

Manchester United player ratings: Bruno Fernandes and Alex Telles good vs Real Sociedad

Man United are all but through to the Europa League round-of-16 after beating Real Sociedad and here are how the players rated at the Juventus Stadium.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester-united-player-ratings-sociedad-19868643

• Like 1

Manchester United player ratings: Daniel James and Luke Shaw good vs Newcastle

Man United beat Newcastle 3-1 through goals from Marcus Rashford, Daniel James and Bruno Fernandes and here are how the players rated.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-united-player-ratings-newcastle-19885052

Newcastle the better side for long periods but a valuable 3 points. 

MU have apparently scored more goals than any other side in the league which is surprising since our no 9 Martial has contributed 3. Not surprising since he is hardly  ever in the box and lacks desire. Welcome comeback from Daniel James and while the rating don't reflect it I thought Matic made some telling interceptions and passes. De Gea far improved performance. 

16 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Newcastle the better side for long periods but a valuable 3 points. 

MU have apparently scored more goals than any other side in the league which is surprising since our no 9 Martial has contributed 3. Not surprising since he is hardly  ever in the box and lacks desire. Welcome comeback from Daniel James and while the rating don't reflect it I thought Matic made some telling interceptions and passes. De Gea far improved performance. 

I think we've let more in than any other team

Last 16 draw in full

Ajax vs Young Boys

Dynamo Kiev vs Villarreal

Roma vs Shakhtar Donetsk

Olympiacos vs Arsenal

Dinamo Zagreb vs Tottenham

Manchester United vs AC Milan

Slavia Prague vs Rangers

Granada vs Molde 

I was hoping we get Molde 

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Last 16 draw in full

Ajax vs Young Boys

Roma vs Shakhtar Donetsk

Olympiacos vs Arsenal

Slavia Prague vs Rangers

Granada vs Molde 

joint-favourites with spursy.

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Last 16 draw in full

Ajax vs Young Boys

Roma vs Shakhtar Donetsk

Olympiacos vs Arsenal

Slavia Prague vs Rangers

Granada vs Molde 

Ibrahimavic returns but will Dalot?. A tough gig. Would have preferred the away leg first.

Edited by polpott

If you want to win the final it doesn't matter who you meet really . I was hoping Ole would draw Molde, his old club. They shocked by knocking Hoffenheim out.  

Edited by balo

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

...and looks like their recent form has made all of the ManU posters desert this thread ????

I'm here, although I post very rarely, and I have to reiterate something which I saw on the BBC last night on Match of the Day, whereby someone was highlighting what they thought was a problem with United, inasmuch as they haven't got an overall strong squad and there are a few in the current first-team squad who are just average.

Then they mentioned that City had probably the strongest squad in the league, and if one or two drop out, then there are very talented replacements, and this had been built up over time, whereas Uniteds squad was piecemeal, and didn't show any clear strategy/thinking.

For me, that summed it up and if you ever wanted proof, look at the Donnie VDB situation, not to mention other purchases like Telles.

United haven't lost a league game where they were leading in the first half for 103 games - incredible.

One of the biggest issues in the last few years has been how we start games - we are often sluggish and take a good 15 mins to get into games.

Today we were at it form the off and could have been 2 up in 6 minutes.

When we score first we are hard to beat.

We should definitely have had 3 today and I cant remember Henderson having much to do.

Our problems come with breaking defensive teams down and to do that we need to pass better and have more movement in the final third. Someone up front who can hold the ball up to play others in is a must in the summer transfer window.

Great performance today.

If Carlsberg did Sunday football results..

Every time that you think things might be starting to go wrong, this team produces a performance like that. What a fantastic win against an outstanding side, that was a terrific display today and a thoroughly deserved victory in which everyone played well and Solskjaer got the set up right (playing with ambition where possible) and he clearly had the players up for it from the start. One thing is for sure, Henderson needs to be given the chance from now until the end of the season to see if he can be the long-term number 1 but I really liked what I saw.

• Like 1

It's a official this group of United players can lose to the worst in this league (Sheffield United) and comfortably beat the best on a 21 game winning run.

Outstanding result and performance. Full credit to Ole, got his tactics, game plan and match ups spot on to keep this unbeaten away run going in style.

The narrative that United don't score against the traditional top 6 binned and replaced by they don't concede against them!

The one black spot was Rashford going off injured. Fingers crossed nothing serious

On 3/8/2021 at 6:10 AM, ChipButty said:

Manchester United player ratings: Luke Shaw and Victor Lindelof brilliant vs Man City

Man United ended Man City's 21-game winning run with another victory at The Etihad and here are how the players rated.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester-united-player-ratings-city-19984863

My usual place to go to for post match ratings and they usually align with my thinking but just to filling in time I had a look at other media outlets ratings and I wonder if we are watching the same game.

As an example 2 gave Lindelof a 6 in what was probably his best performance in United shirt especially considering the opponent. The whole backline were suberb and AWB might have sent a thank you to Pep for playing Sterling rather than to have to look after Foden.

The win was significant, if only they could show that enthusiasm against teams lower down the table. One concern ,with only 28% possession, United worked their socks off and there would obviously be a lot of tired legs.

Rashford has been cleared of any serious ankle damage but obvious to me ,despite, his 70 m run back'  to help the defence on one occasion that he is physically spent. Its well known around Carrington that he requires a minor op on his shoulder but more importantly he is overdue for a rest. If you look at the number of his appearances over the last 2 seasons its a massive overload.

Find it hard to justify an International break .I don't have an alternative but you can bet clubs will be very creative in getting their players exempted

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Manchester United player ratings: Luke Shaw and Mason Greenwood good vs West Ham

Man United beat West Ham 1-0 in a laborious Premier League fixture and here are how the players rated at Old Trafford.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-united-player-ratings-greenwood-20152767

"Laborious" just about sums it up. Strange tactics from Moyes. I thought he would at least have a go considering they are within touching distance of a top 4 place  but seemed content to get as many people behind the ball as he could. Lucky to get 3 points in the end and we needed them to score the only goal. Team is crying out for a real number 9.Not sure what's going on with Cavani. Team Dr's say he is fit to play and United continue to stumble along without natural striker.

Greenwood in an improved performance hit the post twice can't buy a goal. I just hope we can stay in the top 4. Buying quality players, with out Champions League, is becoming increasingly difficult.

Mata seems to have already left, Jones if ever fit again is almost certainly going at bargain price and it may well be time to sell Martia,l might just be his personality but 1 decent game in 3 is not good enough