The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

39 minutes ago, champers said:

The owner, an American called Friedkin, is worth $4Billion so he could be going on a spending spree.

But it could also mean that with that much money the owner knows <deleted> about football.:)

11 minutes ago, jellydog said:

But it could also mean that with that much money the owner knows <deleted> about football.:)

I can hear Smalling  and Mkhitaryan saying “You’ve signed who!!” 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I met Alex Ferguson once when he came to my best mate's door after we had got drunk and threw water of the wall at him. He was the next door neighbor and Willie Miller lived across the road. 

Bit of a <deleted> but nice guy, Alex. 

8 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Jordan is in great form today. Poking fun at City's '2.5 billion fairytale' to the CL final

Took 'em long enough; even Spurs got there before them.

If they win it perhaps they can bomb out of next season's group stage and try to emulate United's epic Europa League win.

19 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Exactly, that's why any attempts to romanticise it are completely ridiculous.

Honestly, I haven't seen any attempts to romanticise City getting to the final. Seen plenty of articles saying we played well but nothing I would count as romanticising. Maybe you can post a few links - here or on the City thread - to show the point you are making.

Sheikh Mansour's City attempts at reaching a CL final haven't been great, believe it's taken us 12 or 13 seasons of CL participation to reach a final, but that's about the same number of seasons it took Fergie's ManU. 

Manchester United’s postponed fixture against Liverpool will now be played on Thursday, May 13, meaning Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side will play three Premier League fixtures in just five days.

United travel to Aston Villa on Sunday, May 9 and then host Leicester at 6pm on the evening of Tuesday, May 11.

They then host Liverpool two days later in the rescheduled fixture between the two sides.

58 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Manchester United’s postponed fixture against Liverpool will now be played on Thursday, May 13, meaning Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side will play three Premier League fixtures in just five days.

United travel to Aston Villa on Sunday, May 9 and then host Leicester at 6pm on the evening of Tuesday, May 11.

They then host Liverpool two days later in the rescheduled fixture between the two sides.

It also means that Liverpool have to play United on the 13th then play again 3 days later through no fault of their own  
United should be the ones that are inconvenienced if not punished so no sympathy for their situation. 

They have got off lightly. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Kadilo said:

They have got off lightly. 

I certainly hope that isn't all they will be getting as punishment. This is the first time a PL match has ever had to be postponed due to violence from fans. A precedent has to be set here to ensure no other morons feel like they can randomly stop a match going ahead.

48 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I certainly hope that isn't all they will be getting as punishment. This is the first time a PL match has ever had to be postponed due to violence from fans. A precedent has to be set here to ensure no other morons feel like they can randomly stop a match going ahead.

There are rumours that they will try and repeat the stunt on 13th. Hopefully police and the club will have their act together this time.

10 minutes ago, wilai said:

There are rumours that they will try and repeat the stunt on 13th. Hopefully police and the club will have their act together this time.

I know you and Bob don't post on the Liverpool thread anymore, fair enough, but as a Liverpool fan:

what were your thoughts when the ManU fans stopped the game going ahead,

what do you think should be the repercussions for ManU for the postponement, and,

what do you think about Liverpool's game having to be rearranged to 13th?

14 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

what were your thoughts when the ManU fans stopped the game going ahead,

what do you think should be the repercussions for ManU for the postponement, and,

what do you think about Liverpool's game having to be rearranged to 13th?

A. Disgust at the idiots attacking police and members of the public driving past the ground. Surprise that the Police and club didn't anticipate the problem as it had been widely mentioned on social media in advance.

B. I doubt repercussions on the club will have any effect but life bans and court action must be taken against those identified as causing the hooliganism Many of them (including the zebra) should be easy enough to find. Now they have to play three times in a week, possibility of injured players will increase which may affect Europa League chances.

C. For me personally, yet another silly o'clock kick off over here.  I think Fat Sam and his boys possibly refused to change the date of our WBA game, hence the 'squeezing in' of the fixture. Think Leicester may benefit as OGS may play a weakened team in the middle game of the three. As far as LFC are concerned, nothing surprises me any more this season.

11 minutes ago, wilai said:

A. Disgust at the idiots attacking police and members of the public driving past the ground. Surprise that the Police and club didn't anticipate the problem as it had been widely mentioned on social media in advance.

B. I doubt repercussions on the club will have any effect but life bans and court action must be taken against those identified as causing the hooliganism Many of them (including the zebra) should be easy enough to find. Now they have to play three times in a week, possibility of injured players will increase which may affect Europa League chances.

C. For me personally, yet another silly o'clock kick off over here.  I think Fat Sam and his boys possibly refused to change the date of our WBA game, hence the 'squeezing in' of the fixture. Think Leicester may benefit as OGS may play a weakened team in the middle game of the three. As far as LFC are concerned, nothing surprises me any more this season.

Thanks. I was interested as i hadn't seen much in the media from LFC or its supporters (not saying that there wasn't any just that i hadn't seen any). 

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Starting 11 for the game against Roma, Im giving Cavani a rest tonight will be needed more against Villa, Bruno on the bench give DVB a game 

0_share_4140c3e8e582c44ef56639b30107a436.png

Cheers. We will let OLS know. 

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Starting 11 for the game against Roma, Im giving Cavani a rest tonight will be needed more against Villa, Bruno on the bench give DVB a game 

0_share_4140c3e8e582c44ef56639b30107a436.png

Would be nice to see Bailly before he gets injured again!

Manchester United player ratings: Mason Greenwood and Aaron Wan-Bissaka good vs Aston Villa

Man United continued their unbeaten streak against Aston Villa away from home in the Premier League and here are how the players rated at Villa Park.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-united-player-ratings-villa-20558823

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Customary plan was in place to go down a goal and then come back. Apparently some sort of record achieved for comebacks and they have only lost 4 games all season

This hasn't consolidated a top 4 but its close. Can't rely on a one off Europa final, anything can happen there. One reason why OGS still doesn't trust Van de Beek for critical games. If they lock up second place we well may well see more of him

Can't argue with the match ratings AWB has improved remarkably over the season ,by far his best game yet in defence and attack and Luke Shaw is a totally different player, don't think he missed a tackle and is becoming the all round player we had hoped for.

Lindelof once again showed why United need a more reliable CB signing, he does many good things then loses concentration and in his position you simply can't do that. Hopefully Bailly will get an extended run. Maguire is looking like being absent for a while.

Cavani was simply stunning when injected into the attack, a model for any aspiring no 9 

So onto Liverpool and surely security wont under perform like the infamous game at OT they have had enough warning, if they ever needed it before. English police seem very passive with some so called "fans" who are nothing but moronic hooligans. Actions some took are all criminal offences and should have had time in the slammer and then court.

Apparently it may have cost MU a valuable sponsor so all they are doing is hurting the club they claim to love, pathetic and hopefully life time bans coming.

My Carrington contact is in total awe of U/18 player Charlie McNeill who has completed his season with 25 goals in 24 games. He considers him ,at his age, better than Rashford was at the same stage and he doesn't lavish praise very often.

What do you do with him? I watched the game against Middlesbourgh 8-1

5 hours ago, Sparkles said:

better than Rashford was at the same stage 

I remember watching Rashford play in the reserves or youth team before his fairytale under LVG. He obviously had something about him, but wasn't amazingly impressive. Certainly wasn't hyped up to the level Greenwood or many other youngsters before him had been. That makes the Rashford story even better for me.... he is the story of someone who got given a chance and took it. If it hadn't been for that injury crisis under LVG, and if he hadn't of made such an impact, he might not have had a career at the top level. Or at least in a United shirt.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Is there any chance of you slipping up though... playing against teams with nowt to play for?

I think depends on whether Pep stops dicking about with his team selections. What was that phrase Rednose used 'squeaky bum time' well it's getting that way for us, even with the points gap.

Boris Johnson delivers fresh update that affects Manchester United and Man City fans

The Prime Minister has announced further easing of Covid-19 restrictions.

This means United supporters will be allowed into Old Trafford for their final home game of the season on May 18 - and the penultimate fixture of the campaign - against Fulham.

Meanwhile, City fans will be allowed into the Etihad Stadium for their side's clash with Everton on May 23.

Every Premier League team will play one home match in front of their supporters, with games scheduled to take place on May 18-19 and Sunday, May 23.