The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

On 8/5/2021 at 4:32 PM, wilai said:

Man Utd Team Meal tonight. Are they staying at a quarantine hotel?.....No surprise though to see Luke Shaw's preference: Cheeseburger Fries AND Chips along with plenty of bread. Chip butties perhaps????? Lingard is a strange one....Couldn't he have just asked for a cheese roll?

E7-ZKfWWQAA9Jz_?format=jpg&name=medium

Interesting.... looks like decent scran... I am not at all worried about this, with the calories they are burning off in pre-season they are allowed a cheat meal.... one thing which has brought shame on the club is Greenwood and Dalot ordering steak well done!!!!

• Like 1

Disappointed with the team selection tonight. Mata and VDB I thought did enough v Everton to warrant a starting place. I don't fancy playing Leeds first up they will be out of the blocks like an Olympic sprinter. Interesting to see if they are as gung ho as they were in early days last season. 

Did you see they bring on Varane before the start of the game? I told you Varane would sign now you going to believe me? I dont give a <deleted> if you believe me or not

Edited by ChipButty
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Disappointed with the team selection tonight. Mata and VDB I thought did enough v Everton to warrant a starting place. I don't fancy playing Leeds first up they will be out of the blocks like an Olympic sprinter. Interesting to see if they are as gung ho as they were in early days last season. 

Well didn't expect that result neither I guess did Bielsa, not a happy chappy.

Leeds had a full pre season and were nothing like last season when they played with such intent.

Having said that MU with hardly any pre season preparation were probably the best we have seen them for a long time. Sure it was the Fernandes/Pogba show but every MU player played his part. Greenwood has bulked up and it hasn't affected his pace, that solo goal he scored from a tight angle was a gem.

No one can get into Pogba's head but why would he want to go anywhere else when he has such an array of exciting young talent in and around him ? Sanches will most likely replace James next up and maybe we might see Varane which is hard on Lindelof, he had a very solid game.

So I guess we won't have a week of OGS is not up to it ,had his style he wants to play all over it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Well didn't expect that result neither I guess did Bielsa, not a happy chappy.

Leeds had a full pre season and were nothing like last season when they played with such intent.

Having said that MU with hardly any pre season preparation were probably the best we have seen them for a long time. Sure it was the Fernandes/Pogba show but every MU player played his part. Greenwood has bulked up and it hasn't affected his pace, that solo goal he scored from a tight angle was a gem.

No one can get into Pogba's head but why would he want to go anywhere else when he has such an array of exciting young talent in and around him ? Sanches will most likely replace James next up and maybe we might see Varane which is hard on Lindelof, he had a very solid game.

So I guess we won't have a week of OGS is not up to it ,had his style he wants to play all over it.

Ive listened to a few pundits and they say Greenwoods goal was the best

Solskjaer 'identifies' Monaco's Tchouameni for midfield signing

United have identified Monaco youngster Aurelien Tchouameni as an ideal candidate to strengthen in defensive midfield - he made 42 appearances last season. Tchouameni, 21, has thrived in defensive midfield for Monaco and, with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer keen to move to 4-3-3 this season, the United boss wants another midfield signing to bring balance.

46 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Solskjaer 'identifies' Monaco's Tchouameni for midfield signing

United have identified Monaco youngster Aurelien Tchouameni as an ideal candidate to strengthen in defensive midfield - he made 42 appearances last season. Tchouameni, 21, has thrived in defensive midfield for Monaco and, with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer keen to move to 4-3-3 this season, the United boss wants another midfield signing to bring balance.

Not sure there will be any more signings. Glazers have kept another of their promises to upgrade the facilities, laid a new pitch, improved the home dressing rooms and upgrading the aging stands at a cost of 20 million quid. Seems set in stone that any new signings will be younger players with their best days ahead of them (as above) but still some players to move on to fund any signings

Lets not forget there are a few younger players coming through like Hanibal already represented Tunisia at the recent Olympics,  is technically very good and very aggressive, one to watch. Got a run v Burnley in the friendly this week

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Not sure there will be any more signings. Glazers have kept another of their promises to upgrade the facilities, laid a new pitch, improved the home dressing rooms and upgrading the aging stands at a cost of 20 million quid. Seems set in stone that any new signings will be younger players with their best days ahead of them (as above) but still some players to move on to fund any signings

Lets not forget there are a few younger players coming through like Hanibal already represented Tunisia at the recent Olympics,  is technically very good and very aggressive, one to watch. Got a run v Burnley in the friendly this week

Ive been watching him for a while in the youth teams 

5 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Dont we always do a Deadline day signing? Who could it be?

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Agree with most of what you say as usual, Sparkles, but let's not be naive about the capability of these youngsters to hack it at first team level yet.....

Let's look at the last 'golden crop' of youngsters and see if they have 'made the jump' yet. Chong went on loan to Germany, didn't make a huge impression, and still looks a bit immature physically. He might go out on loan again. Garner has done pretty well on loan at Watford and Forest but looks nowhere close to displacing Fred, McTominay, Matic, or anyone else that is considered a first teamer. And Angel Gomes left the club and is playing for a mid-table Portuguese outfit.

Sure, these kids show bags of potential, and look great in the reserves... but let's not kid ourselves and hang our hat on them when it comes to squad depth

Edited by RickG16
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Agree with most of what you say as usual, Sparkles, but let's not be naive about the capability of these youngsters to hack it at first team level yet.....

Let's look at the last 'golden crop' of youngsters and see if they have 'made the jump' yet. Chong went on loan to Germany, didn't make a huge impression, and still looks a bit immature physically. He might go out on loan again. Garner has done pretty well on loan at Watford and Forest but looks nowhere close to displacing Fred, McTominay, Matic, or anyone else that is considered a first teamer. And Angel Gomes left the club and is playing for a mid-table Portuguese outfit.

Sure, these kids show bags of potential, and look great in the reserves... but let's not kid ourselves and hang our hat on them when it comes to squad depth

These kids look like one of my mother's meat pies would kill them

40 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Chong has gone to Birmingham this season

• Like 1

Will this be Solskjaer's season?   I think he has to deliver now, just getting into top 4 is not good enough.   Still he is criticized every time for the team selection, he is trusting average players like McTominay and Daniel James over players like the Dutch boy Van de Beek.  But he managed to crush Leeds, so we'll see. I am still not convinced.  

Maybe he will sign Haaland next year, Chelsea and City already got their main striker.  You never know what might happen.    

Edited by balo
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Out of every crop of youngsters that come up through the ranks there is always one or two that will stand out and be great players for years . Look at Mason Greenwood still only 19 years old, looks like he's been playing in the top grade for many years. Why was that ? because his talent was recognised and he was given the chance. You could say the same about Foden

Not being naive, coached youth teams for years and every now and then a gem comes along but has to be given a chance. You have to identify their strengths and potential . Whose to say Hannibal, Elanga ,Garner, Charlie McNeil or any other can't be the next Greenwood providing they are given the chance to show their talent.

Another factor is that some young players play better with experienced  players alongside them. You don't get that playing Under 23's. Pogba's pass to Greenwood for his brilliant solo goal maybe would not have happened with a lesser player providing it. 

The "value" in the transfer market is totally out of control. Clubs that don't "grow" their own players will in the future suffer the financial  consequences unless their owner/s have a bottomless pit of money.

I like the way OGS is not only trying to play an exciting brand of football but knows the value of creating a youth culture integrating into the team.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, balo said:

Will this be Solskjaer's season?   I think he has to deliver now, just getting into top 4 is not good enough.   Still he is criticized every time for the team selection, he is trusting average players like McTominay and Daniel James over players like the Dutch boy Van de Beek.  But he managed to crush Leeds, so we'll see. I am still not convinced.  

Maybe he will sign Haaland next year, Chelsea and City already got their main striker.  You never know what might happen.    

I still think we need a CDM, dont you? 

I think Haarland is on the cards next season, now Chelsea bought Lukaku, City need a striker now will Kane sign? 

From what I have been told he wants to come to the PL so does that dismiss Bayern? 

I was talking with some friends the other night was an interesting chat, 

He was born in Leeds and he knows Ole and I didn't know this but most players always have a special bond with managers that gave them their debut, so my mate says!

Then there was Haarlands Dad who as you can see seems to be involved in his career, His Dad did admit to not being confident about Ole still being the manager would he get the sack..........? seems a lot more confident when Ole got his new contract,

Real Madrid and Barca cant afford me, seems unlikely he will go there,

Do all roads point to Old Trafford? If we were to win something this year maybe just maybe tip the balance in our favour?

Could be some interesting new tactic's this season Im told, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Out of every crop of youngsters that come up through the ranks there is always one or two that will stand out and be great players for years . Look at Mason Greenwood still only 19 years old, looks like he's been playing in the top grade for many years. Why was that ? because his talent was recognised and he was given the chance. You could say the same about Foden

Not being naive, coached youth teams for years and every now and then a gem comes along but has to be given a chance. You have to identify their strengths and potential . Whose to say Hannibal, Elanga ,Garner, Charlie McNeil or any other can't be the next Greenwood providing they are given the chance to show their talent.

Another factor is that some young players play better with experienced  players alongside them. You don't get that playing Under 23's. Pogba's pass to Greenwood for his brilliant solo goal maybe would not have happened with a lesser player providing it. 

The "value" in the transfer market is totally out of control. Clubs that don't "grow" their own players will in the future suffer the financial  consequences unless their owner/s have a bottomless pit of money.

I like the way OGS is not only trying to play an exciting brand of football but knows the value of creating a youth culture integrating into the team.

You're right, there's usually one that makes it, and long may that continue. But when we are talking about squad depth for the season, I don't think Hannibal etc are at the stage where they can be factored into first team plans.

Elanga might be the exception. He looks the most ready. Direct, pacy, and knows where the goal is. If Pogba, Bruno and Sancho get get on song, with the likes of Rashford and James around too, I don't think Hannibal should be getting a look in at this stage considering his position. Play him in the League / FA Cup by all means! 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 2:05 PM, RickG16 said:

You're right, there's usually one that makes it, and long may that continue. But when we are talking about squad depth for the season, I don't think Hannibal etc are at the stage where they can be factored into first team plans.

Elanga might be the exception. He looks the most ready. Direct, pacy, and knows where the goal is. If Pogba, Bruno and Sancho get get on song, with the likes of Rashford and James around too, I don't think Hannibal should be getting a look in at this stage considering his position. Play him in the League / FA Cup by all means! 

Hi Rick, you mentioned Tatith Chong before not being up to it based on last season. I got reminded yesterday by a life long Birmingham fan that he is creating big waves on loan at his club.

I missed it during the "silly season window" that he had gone there on loan so been back to see how he has been going and watching highlights. Can only say WOW. They beat Luton 5-0 last night, he made 2 assists from midfield and his performance rated a 9/10. In 2 previous games, out of the 5 they have played, voted best player in the team and fans are urging the club to buy him which wont happen..

Now its the Championship not PL but that's a difficult competition to play in virtually playing twice a week and very physical. So that's my point MU have been trying hard to obtain young talent and develop it instead of buying players who carry big price tags and are not up to it, like DVB.

Who ever thought Greenwood 2 or 3 seasons ago would be where his is today?

No reason, if given the chance, some are selected, if eligible, in FA or league cups great maybe it won't happen this  season 25 into 11 doesn't fit now but add Chong to the list of talent already at the club. Garner, a mid fielder, is going out on loan but has signed a new long term contract, huge talent

MU paid 38 m quid for Amad who plays in a position covered by Sanches, Martial, Rashford and Greenwood already, why .....to go out on loan ?

9 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Hi Rick, you mentioned Tatith Chong before not being up to it based on last season. I got reminded yesterday by a life long Birmingham fan that he is creating big waves on loan at his club.

I missed it during the "silly season window" that he had gone there on loan so been back to see how he has been going and watching highlights. Can only say WOW. They beat Luton 5-0 last night, he made 2 assists from midfield and his performance rated a 9/10. In 2 previous games, out of the 5 they have played, voted best player in the team and fans are urging the club to buy him which wont happen..

Now its the Championship not PL but that's a difficult competition to play in virtually playing twice a week and very physical. So that's my point MU have been trying hard to obtain young talent and develop it instead of buying players who carry big price tags and are not up to it, like DVB.

Who ever thought Greenwood 2 or 3 seasons ago would be where his is today?

No reason, if given the chance, some are selected, if eligible, in FA or league cups great maybe it won't happen this  season 25 into 11 doesn't fit now but add Chong to the list of talent already at the club. Garner, a mid fielder, is going out on loan but has signed a new long term contract, huge talent

MU paid 38 m quid for Amad who plays in a position covered by Sanches, Martial, Rashford and Greenwood already, why .....to go out on loan ?

Thanks for the head up Chong, will check out the highlights.