The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

6 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

I think he wanted to move away from Juventus to get the media headlines back to him. This is because all the eyes were on Messi since the day he won Copa America and moving to Paris Saint-Germain, it’s just a marketing strategy 

Been very impressed by Gerrard as a manager and in general I have nothing against him.... that's why it's disappointing to see him 'playing to the crowd' with stupid comments like this.

22 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I dont see why not he's fit as he played for Portugal he might not start United will milk this for every penny they can get

United rented him a council house in Wythenshaw with a big garden 

He's moved into Mendy's gaff in Prestbury.

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Been very impressed by Gerrard as a manager and in general I have nothing against him.... that's why it's disappointing to see him 'playing to the crowd' with stupid comments like this.

I think he might have said that to wind up United fans, a bit like Gary Neville tries to do every other week. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

A mate of mine spoke to Ronaldo and he said he was bored in Italia he wanted to come back home

So are you saying that once his contract finishes and he stops being paid 20+ million quid per year he'll still stay in Manchester cos it's his home ???? You won't see him for dust

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

So are you saying that once his contract finishes and he stops being paid 20+ million quid per year he'll still stay in Manchester cos it's his home ???? You won't see him for dust

Don’t forget the weekly free Saveloy and Chips. 

• Haha 1

United now only need a midfield and you can start challenging for the title. Unless you think Fred and McTominay belongs there. 
And what happened to Van der Beek ?  

Edited by balo

3 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Of course he'd command that kind of salary because of the level of player he is.

I wouldn't have expect him to stay in Mcr after he retires but who cares. I'm sure he does love the city and has great memories - why wouldn't he? 

Completely plausible he was bored in Italy. Turin is an industrial city in the north it's not exactly paradise in terms of scenery either. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, balo said:

United now only need a midfield and you can start challenging for the title. Unless you think Fred and McTominay belongs there. 
And what happened to Van der Beek ?  

United need a CDM Fred and McTom are not the answer but things might change now we have Varane in defense, McTom is not a number 6 his best game last season was against Leeds where he was allowed to get forward and score.

I think we should have bought a CDM instead of Sancho 

As for DVB last season his fitness levels were not good enough I watched the interview with Rio and Donny said he can play number 6 as he did with Ajax, Ole must see something in him as he blocked the last minute move to Everton, strange one 

If Fred is banned for the next 2 games then DVB could get his chance, I dont think McTom is fully fit

Edited by ChipButty
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

0_UnitedNewcastle.png

I'm with you on that but I'd be tempted to give VDB a go and play Pogba further forward instead of Sancho. That said, Pogba and Matic has worked well occasionally.

Not bothered either way but I'd also consider playing Cavani and bringing Ronny on.

Will be very interested to see who he picks

5 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I'm with you on that but I'd be tempted to give VDB a go and play Pogba further forward instead of Sancho. That said, Pogba and Matic has worked well occasionally.

Not bothered either way but I'd also consider playing Cavani and bringing Ronny on.

Will be very interested to see who he picks

I would Love to be there today, a couple of mates of mine had bought tickets for this game before they knew about Ronaldo, 

12 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I would Love to be there today, a couple of mates of mine had bought tickets for this game before they knew about Ronaldo, 

Buzzing! It will be a bit surreal.

Everyone is talking like it will be a walkover vs Newcastle but I'm still worried with our midfield.

On 8/28/2021 at 9:00 AM, wilai said:

Always surprises me "shirt sales" comments. The vast majority of shirts would be purchased by fans anyway with Sancho/Varane or an existing player's name on them. There maybe some non-utd fans who will blindly follow a player anywhere but most Utd fans will be getting a shirt irrespective of any Ronaldo purchase.

You can't be serious .Ronaldo shirt sales have  already broken all previous records and was out of stock within days. While the club only gets a small percentage of the obscene cost of a shirt its already paid for the transfer fee and bet your life Woodward is on his bike, on his farewell tour, tying up commercial deals with the CR 7 brand. Marketing is obviously not your strong hand. 

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Buzzing! It will be a bit surreal.

Everyone is talking like it will be a walkover vs Newcastle but I'm still worried with our midfield.

It will be surreal and while not televised in the UK I predict will have a record world wide audience for an EPL game. The signing of Ronald is like a ray of sunshine over OT cutting through the Glazer negativity and giving MU fans their first good news in quite a while. No guarantee it will bring a trophy but for pure entertainment and excitement value who else could bring that but the return of one of United's favourite sons.

OGS now will be tested not only in team selection and tactics but responsibility for positions played ,penalty and free kick takers.  Egos are most managers biggest nightmare.

Made a prediction on this very forum that it would take 3 seasons to turn the teams fortunes around ,this is the 3rd season.

Share your concerns Rick about the midfield, there are some coming through like Garner,Chong etc  but will take a little longer. Rice at 80 m not for me.  

ronaldo.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

You can't be serious .Ronaldo shirt sales have  already broken all previous records and was out of stock within days.

As were LFC shirts (quote below) and we only bought Konate.    New shirts will always sell well at the beginning of a new season when they are released.

Liverpool have experienced unprecedented demand for the club's 2021/22 away kit, with men's shirts sold out before the Premier League season has even begun.

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Marketing is obviously not your strong hand. 

But it is a strength of the guy quoted below, a lecturer in Football Finance. That's 12.4m in addition to what you would have sold with Sancho AN Other on the back. I do agree that it will get you lot off the Glazers' case for a while whilst you ejaculate over the 2nd coming.???? Should increase the share price as well so a smart move by your benevolent ownership.

'United get 7% on a £60 shirt which works out at £4.20 per unit. The cost of Ronaldo is £12m transfer fee (minimum) plus wages of £20m a year. Total cost £52m over 2 years. The club would have to sell 12.4m additional shirts to pay for his recruitment.'

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

It will be surreal and while not televised in the UK I predict will have a record world wide audience for an EPL game. The signing of Ronald is like a ray of sunshine over OT cutting through the Glazer negativity and giving MU fans their first good news in quite a while. No guarantee it will bring a trophy but for pure entertainment and excitement value who else could bring that but the return of one of United's favourite sons.

OGS now will be tested not only in team selection and tactics but responsibility for positions played ,penalty and free kick takers.  Egos are most managers biggest nightmare.

Made a prediction on this very forum that it would take 3 seasons to turn the teams fortunes around ,this is the 3rd season.

Share your concerns Rick about the midfield, there are some coming through like Garner,Chong etc  but will take a little longer. Rice at 80 m not for me.  

ronaldo.jpg

Funnily enough he completely dodged the question when asked about who the set piece taker would be in the press conference.

.... Even someone like Holjberg would vastly improve our midfield I think.

29 minutes ago, wilai said:

But it is a strength of the guy quoted below, a lecturer in Football Finance. That's 12.4m in addition to what you would have sold with Sancho AN Other on the back. I do agree that it will get you lot off the Glazers' case for a while whilst you ejaculate over the 2nd coming.???? Should increase the share price as well so a smart move by your benevolent ownership.

'United get 7% on a £60 shirt which works out at £4.20 per unit. The cost of Ronaldo is £12m transfer fee (minimum) plus wages of £20m a year. Total cost £52m over 2 years. The club would have to sell 12.4m additional shirts to pay for his recruitment.'

They already did 187 million pounds Liverpool have never sold that many shirts for the whole team

3 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

How are you getting this early team news? Sources in the dressing room?

No......from Chippy's ITK mate????

Confirmed United squad vs Newcastle:David de Gea, Tom Heaton, Lee Grant, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Diogo Dalot, Raphael Varane, Harry Maguire, Victor Lindelof, Eric Bailly, Luke Shaw, Nemanja Matic, Donny van de Beek, Paul Pogba, Juan Mata, Jesse Lingard, Bruno Fernandes, Anthony Martial, Jadon Sancho, Mason Greenwood, Anthony Elanga, Cristiano Ronaldo