The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Are our midfielders good enough? Not sure about that

correct again..... not a creative midfileder in the team, not one for God's sake, what manager does something like that

• Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 3:58 PM, RickG16 said:

As you can see by posts like this, it's an irresistible narrative that Ronaldo comes and messes everything up but that's just not the case.

Ronaldo relies on service. The problem yesterday was service to Ronaldo and the midfield. And obviously Greenwood being wasteful.

Also I'm not sure he was standing over the penalty. When your mate is being surrounded and put off by players I think it's just showing support to be nearby 

But yeah 10/10 to Martinez for those tactics

10/10 to you for the perfect analysis  555

30 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

…..add Carrick who looks totally gormless to OLS who is clueless and your going to win nothing. 

I tend to agree with most of what you said. But the thing is with rating coaches we never know what they are / aren't telling the players. 

One thing which I have noticed is all our coaches seem to be youngish ex players or ex Loughborough university. Surely there is room for an older more experienced coach with different perspective. And I'm not talking about Mike Phelan. 

28 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I tend to agree with most of what you said. But the thing is with rating coaches we never know what they are / aren't telling the players. 

One thing which I have noticed is all our coaches seem to be youngish ex players or ex Loughborough university. Surely there is room for an older more experienced coach with different perspective. And I'm not talking about Mike Phelan. 

I reckon Phelan is more than half the problem

A great example is Lampard he had a transfer window to die for 250 million squid and couldn't make that team click, Roman saw right through it and sacked him, brought Tuchel in and won the CL with the same team, 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mavideol said:

you are right on the money..... but OLE knows better  555

I know your remark is a sarcastic one, however IMO Ole has no idea what he is doing, and that he became a bit snarky in the after match commentary (watched on BBC iPlayer Match of the Day) shows just that.

He is overawed by the job, and the fact that he has Cristiano Ronaldo sitting on the bench, and then stating that he was "no longer a young pup" hence being a substitute, was derisory.

I say this because here is a man who can win games and for his age is remarkably fit and agile. Also I'm not a fan of Pogba, but sitting on that bench along with Ronaldo, Jesse Lingard and Donny you had a lineup to die for.

Another thing which points in the direction of "Ole being lost and still wanting to stamp his mark on the club...I am the boss" is the fact that Donny Van der Beek really hasn't had a look in since he was bought, and I can only assume that buying him was not wholly Ole's decision, hence the cold shoulder.

It is time for United to look elsewhere, and I sincerely hope they are hunting for the next manager and can get Ole out ASAP.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RickG16 said:

To be fair mate Dalot is back with us this season and hasn't been very good ????

are you saying he has been sitting on the bench, if so how can somebody assess if he's good or not.... Milan was happy with his performances and they would like him back

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

I know your remark is a sarcastic one, however IMO Ole has no idea what he is doing, and that he became a bit snarky in the after match commentary (watched on BBC iPlayer Match of the Day) shows just that.

He is overawed by the job, and the fact that he has Cristiano Ronaldo sitting on the bench, and then stating that he was "no longer a young pup" hence being a substitute, was derisory.

I say this because here is a man who can win games and for his age is remarkably fit and agile. Also I'm not a fan of Pogba, but sitting on that bench along with Ronaldo, Jesse Lingard and Donny you had a lineup to die for.

Another thing which points in the direction of "Ole being lost and still wanting to stamp his mark on the club...I am the boss" is the fact that Donny Van der Beek really hasn't had a look in since he was bought, and I can only assume that buying him was not wholly Ole's decision, hence the cold shoulder.

It is time for United to look elsewhere, and I sincerely hope they are hunting for the next manager and can get Ole out ASAP.

I am with you, couldn't believe what Glazer/Woodward saw on Ole but ????? Pogba should have been gone longtime ago, agree with Lingard, Van Der Beek and can't undersatnd why he doesn't use them, MU needs (too many) good players to have a chance to fight to the top places, currently they are just an average team........ and Woodward fired Mourinho because he didn't allow Mourinho to get the players needed to refresh the team, just look at the competition Liv, City, Chelsea and the quality of players they have and some seat on the bench thus healthy competition, I don't see it at MU, leaving Ronaldo on the bench and playing Martial...... then Sancho instead of Lingard

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RickG16 said:

If OLS had spent some time under a decent coach he may have had a chance over time but he’s totally out of his depth and the sentimental appointment is backfiring.

Even if he is telling them the right instructions they clearly aren’t listening and in that case have no respect for him. 

He needs to be moved along with all his backup team before it becomes too embarrassing and he damages both his past reputation with the club and any chance you have of winning anything. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

He needs to be moved along with all his backup team before it becomes too embarrassing and he damages both his past reputation with the club

The stupid thing about all of this is that he was hired to run, arguably, one of the top teams in the world, whereas his history in football management was average, and with lower grade teams (respectfully).

His past reputation with United was as a goal poacher, and he was good at that, but as we have seen many times, outfield players do not necessarily make good managers, and I fear that United will find this out to their detriment.

They had chances to sign much better managers, but for some reason decided against it, and I fear they will suffer the consequences this year because they don't seem to be a team with a plan or for that matter intelligent guidance.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

are you saying he has been sitting on the bench, if so how can somebody assess if he's good or not.... Milan was happy with his performances and they would like him back

He's played 2 or 3 games I think. Was absolutely exposed against Villareal.

We've heard different things about his time at Milan. I heard he wasn't great and was in and out of the team.

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

If OLS had spent some time under a decent coach he may have had a chance over time but he’s totally out of his depth and the sentimental appointment is backfiring.

Even if he is telling them the right instructions they clearly aren’t listening and in that case have no respect for him. 

He needs to be moved along with all his backup team before it becomes too embarrassing and he damages both his past reputation with the club and any chance you have of winning anything. 

I'm in 2 minds. On the one hand after bouncing around a few managers we have invested in continuity  and a 'club man' so I feel he should at least be given until the end of the season otherwise what was the point of allowing him to build a team. 

On the other hand, Tuchel came in mid season and showed you can turn things around 

I think the hope with Ole is that once / if he comes good we could have him at the helm for 10-15 years, so it will be worth the wait. After all, the PL now is arguably stronger than when Fergie took over in 1986. And as we know, Fergie took it 5 years or so to start getting it right. 

Obviously Fergie had a much better pedigree than Ole winning things at Aberdeen etc

The truth is like a lot of United fans I want to give Ole a chance to turn it around but we can't have many more bad results.

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

The stupid thing about all of this is that he was hired to run, arguably, one of the top teams in the world, whereas his history in football management was average, and with lower grade teams (respectfully).

But we can't ignore the fact he's done better (certainly in terms of league position) that the two very experienced managers before him. And I think United fans were much more unhappy on the whole under LVG and Mourinho. 

8 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

But we can't ignore the fact he's done better (certainly in terms of league position) that the two very experienced managers before him. And I think United fans were much more unhappy on the whole under LVG and Mourinho. 

Good point...........but where to now??

18 hours ago, RickG16 said:

I'm in 2 minds. On the one hand after bouncing around a few managers we have invested in continuity  and a 'club man' so I feel he should at least be given until the end of the season otherwise what was the point of allowing him to build a team. 

On the other hand, Tuchel came in mid season and showed you can turn things around 

I think the hope with Ole is that once / if he comes good we could have him at the helm for 10-15 years, so it will be worth the wait. After all, the PL now is arguably stronger than when Fergie took over in 1986. And as we know, Fergie took it 5 years or so to start getting it right. 

Obviously Fergie had a much better pedigree than Ole winning things at Aberdeen etc

The truth is like a lot of United fans I want to give Ole a chance to turn it around but we can't have many more bad results.

they should have done the same (give them time 4-5 years) with Van Gaal and/or Mourinho but instead they wanted everything now  and now and now not later, it takes time to built a good team, manager and players need to be on the same train of thoughts and with positive attitude.... one for all and all for one, sorry but don't see it at MU.

Mourinho won Europa league and was sacked..... OLE won sh.. and still around, wonder what Woodward  has in mind

17 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

they should have done the same (give them time 4-5 years) with Van Gaal and/or Mourinho but instead they wanted everything now  and now and now not later, it takes time to built a good team, manager and players need to be on the same train of thoughts and with positive attitude.... one for all and all for one, sorry but don't see it at MU.

Mourinho won Europa league and was sacked..... OLE won sh.. and still around, wonder what Woodward  has in mind

True, but another reason Ole has lasted longer is style of play. United fans are far more forgiving of defensive lapses than they are of the side to side passing we saw under LVG and Mourinho. When you start losing games and you play like that there's no way you are getting 4-5 years .

Why is mediocrity being rewarded?!

Ole and Phelan are responsible for such dire selections ,team tactics and results!

After we play Man City in November,our title hopes will be over!!

Where's the accountability?!

Liverpool,Man City and Chelsea must be delighted with the news!

• Like 1

Just read a report on the BBC about a share sell-off by the Glazers. Apparently it is the 2nd sell-off since the Euro Super League incident. Glazers will end up with just 69% of shares. Where are the rest going? Anyone in the know?