The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Manchester United player ratings: Harry Maguire and Luke Shaw awful vs Liverpool

Man United were humiliated by Liverpool in the Premier League at Old Trafford and here are how the players rated.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-united-player-ratings-liverpool-21955785

Best summed up by commentator Martin Tyler as "Manchester United's day of shame"

While the buck always lands with the Manager does he have to to explain to captain Harry Maguire, captain of MU and England, how to defend and organise the back four who include  England England's left back Luke Shaw and captain of Sweden Lindelof ?

Thankfully Fernandes was subbed, he was a walking red card.

I think Gary Neville summed it up, it wasn't a rant it was the inevitable truth, its been coming

• Like 1

One small thing missed by the tele. During LFC's warm up half an hour before kick off, the stadium announcer chose to play the James song, Sit Down.......which of course is Mo Salah's signature song. Really got the away fans going. Schoolboy error but cheers anyway???? 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sparkles said:

Thankfully Fernandes was subbed, he was a walking red card.

Agree with that. In fact I think he should have had a straight red instead of the yellow. For a little pipsqueak he does fancy himself! Was hilarious when he tried to shove VVD and Konate then towered over him????

• Haha 1

Mercenary Group of Top Talented Individuals. Never Any “Team” under OGS…… Unravelled by any decent proper Team at that level.

Mourinho looking like Guardiola there now…at least he won top cups.

OGS was always completely useless as a Coach ( Cardiff & Molde ?).

No Worthy Track Record. Hired as a Lucky Charm / Popular Ex- Player there. Was never going to work long term. Quite Incredible he’s lasted Three Years……whilst “ team” bottling Leagues & Finals.

Problem now is ONLY Klopp / Guardiola  / Tuchel Very Top Types will be able to “ coach / manage” that group of divas…….start with Pogba Gone

Scholesy called it spot on after Atalanta 2-0 up at half time.

Said Liverpool would have been 4-0 up and out of sight. ten days later ….

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wilai said:

In Denial?

MUTV scheduled a re run of yesterday's game today. Suddenly the schedule was changed and the Atalanta game was shown. Due on again at 22:00(Thai time). I wonder which game they'll find to show instead?????

Let’s hope they keep Olly the Wally a bit longer.

Let’s face it, they are more than capable of beating Spuds this weekend and the he can kid everyone again “how close” they are and how far they have

come with those 400 million investments ……rinse and repeat. 

Edited by Kadilo

11 minutes ago, wilai said:

In Denial?

MUTV scheduled a re run of yesterday's game today. Suddenly the schedule was changed and the Atalanta game was shown. Due on again at 22:00(Thai time). I wonder which game they'll find to show instead?????

Hardly surprising.

But your knowledge of the MUTV schedule is impressive.

So lads what do we think in terms of a successor?

To me there is no obvious candidate. And most seem to have some kind of question marks over them, whether it's style of play, suitability etc etc. Most would improve us, but do we want to be rushing into what is a very important appointment.....

The big question now could be whether it does more harm than good putting a caretaker in while we consider a full time boss. Personally I think if the right caretaker is available, why not..... Would that be someone like Phelan? Or someone unconnected with the club? 

20 minutes ago, champers said:

Conte looks head and shoulders above any other viable option. I read somewhere (not the Guardian like @jellydog ) that he wasn't interested in going to Newcastle because he was waiting on the Utd job becoming avavailable. He is a winner.

I'm sure he is happy you consider him an option.

I think he will tick all the boxes apart the style of play one for some United fans. There's also a potential bust up with Ronaldo on the horizon as I think they are not each other's biggest fans.

Having said that, I don't think we should be basing this decision around the preference of a 36 year-old. Conte is a strong candidate, for sure. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, champers said:

Conte looks head and shoulders above any other viable option. I read somewhere (not the Guardian like @jellydog ) that he wasn't interested in going to Newcastle because he was waiting on the Utd job becoming avavailable. He is a winner.

The United brain trust are fools if they don't grab him chop chop. He's got a short fuse but should be good for a lot of winning, at least for a season or two.

7 hours ago, jellydog said:

The United brain trust are fools if they don't grab him chop chop. He's got a short fuse but should be good for a lot of winning, at least for a season or two.

Since Conte has started as a manager in 2006, the longest tenure at any club is 151 games (Juventus), which is 3 years. After that is Chelsea with 106 games (2 years) and Inter with 102 games (2 years).

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, RickG16 said:

. Would that be someone like Phelan? Or someone unconnected with the club? 

Phelan out also I am told he's useless and he doesnt take training just hands out instructions which is obviously not working

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Phelan out also I am told he's useless and he doesnt take training just hands out instructions which is obviously not working

Did they not know that 3 weeks ago when they gave him a new contract until 2024?

I am surprised that OGS is still there, and quite expected there to be an announcement today when I looked, but there wasn't!

I don't see him and his team as a positive future for United, and I do not see Phelan as an interim coach as I've never seen a good report about him anywhere.

There is something wrong within the club, especially if you consider that DVB was bought and really hasn't got any game time, yet was lauded as a midfield player to answer United's problems, or part thereof.

I did manage to watch the game on Match of the Day last night and United were dreadful, and I was very interested in the match comments afterwards from Micah Richards and Ian Wright, especially Ian Wright, because he was dying to say that the coach should go, and he didn't, however he said everything else but that, criticising the gameplan (there wasn't one), set up, structure, motivation and anything else you like to throw in, but perhaps he is banned from saying what he really thought – – that the manager had to go.

I had a chat with a friend of mine who is an ardent Liverpool supporter and who hates United with a vengeance, however we respect each other's views and although he gets the occasional dig in wherever he can, we have good conversations, and I was quite open about my thoughts regarding United, and he agreed with them all.

When you look at the managers at the top three clubs now in England, I wonder where United can find someone of equal talent, just the same as Liverpool, City and Chelsea have done.

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

When you look at the managers at the top three clubs now in England, I wonder where United can find someone of equal talent, just the same as Liverpool, City and Chelsea have done.

Even top 4. 

I was as against Moyes coming to us as anyone but what he has done for us over the last season and this one so far is beyond doubt. 

On a tight budget and no real superstars (I dont include Rice as a superstar) he has galvanised something United are in desperate need of.  

Had he been given a  400 million budget and more time what could he have done for you? 

• Like 1

Eddie Howe ? seriously has to be Conte, surely ? Available. Wants It. Best Qualified.Wins. Leaves when best players sold (without his agreement). Uncompromising. Insists HE is the Team Boss & ONLY Player Selector. Otherwise Gone.Takes No <deleted> from Players or Management. Perfect Fit. Like a Klopp Guadiola or Tuchel.