The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

2 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Have been impressed with RR communication skills and substitutions have been pretty well spot on as well as keeping the lid on some egos. Was smart & humble  enough to soon accept that the team is not able to play the style he wanted them to and has returned to a more conventional set up but top 4 is now all that is logically left. 

Me too. Been impressed by the way he has dealt with things and to be honest I still think he'd like the Manager's position.

And I agree, obviously Elanga will get some stick (mainly from fans of rivals) for the missed pen but Bruno missing that open goal was much worse. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

"Scoring goals from everywhere" !! Except the penalty spot eh ????

See above post. Not about to start hounding a lad who's done very well since he's come in the team, with a great attitude. The blame should lie with the players who missed easy chances throughout the game. 

23 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Me too. Been impressed by the way he has dealt with things and to be honest I still think he'd like the Manager's position.

And I agree, obviously Elanga will get some stick (mainly from fans of rivals) for the missed pen but Bruno missing that open goal was much worse. 

Reckon Poch will go to City when the great one exits. 

3 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Apparently, on friday night at OT there were no food or drinks at half time due to a technical glitch. Told you the place was falling apart Rick. What sort of a tin pot outfit is this club becoming?

Bet it was full and the atmosphere was decent though. Actually probably not true... OT can be a bit tepid apart from certain games.

But as said... Going to football is about much more than the facilities for me! Some of the best times I've had at the footy were on the terraces at terrible (non league) grounds. Not getting back into this!

If you're bored run some errands or something.....

• Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 1:20 PM, RickG16 said:

I think when you put a lot of energy and thought into trying to make MU a better team if I was RR I would want to stay on. However so many unanswered questions, mainly what roles do people have ? Fletcher for example is at a the stage of his football life is more suited to a coaching role than any other role. Murtough is supposedly Football Director. Richard Arnold is the new CEO, well they better get their act together sooner than later.

Add far to many players futures up in the air, going or staying ?

Watched Elanga walking up to take that penalty, felt for the boy especially with a packed house  at OT. He is going to be  a very good and versatile player as is Hannibal if he gets some game time. Elanga should never have been put in that position if senior players hadn't put in such a miserable performance.   Just the game Cavani would have thrived on with all the scraps on offer in the box.

Loss of power at HT was beyond anything the club could have done to remedy it. Health and Safety inspectors regularly visit all grounds. OT is doing just fine.

Just another cheap shot from someone who should know better and a trivial contribution to help make this once vibrant forum being akin to a cemetery 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Loss of power at HT was beyond anything the club could have done to remedy it. Health and Safety inspectors regularly visit all grounds. OT is doing just fine.

Just another cheap shot from someone who should know better and a trivial contribution to help make this once vibrant forum being akin to a cemetery 

When was the last time you went to OT Sparkles? You can't have been lately as it's not doing fine, ask any of your United mates what they think of the place now. The last time I went was 5 years ago and the place is old and tired. It may pass safety inspections but this is supposed the be the "Theatre of dreams"

Here you go. A 10 second search on the subject:-

How the Glazers have left Old Trafford in decay

It's nicknamed 'the Theatre of Dreams' but as Gary Neville has repeatedly pointed out over the last couple of weeks, the cold reality is that Old Trafford is anything but.

That's not because of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's failure to deliver a Premier League title to Manchester United fans. Neville has no element of doubt about it - it is the fault of the Glazers, who he says have left the venue 'rusty and rotting'.

At surface level, Old Trafford appears to be a fantastic stadium and its capacity of 76,000 is the highest in the Premier League. But the work to fit that many people in was completed back in 2006 and given the go-ahead before the Glazers bought the club in 2005. 

Now, bigger does not necessarily mean better and other venues lead the way. Tottenham's stadium is perhaps the finest in all of sport, Manchester City have since expanded the Etihad while United fans may even cast a begrudging eye down the M62 at Anfield and acknowledge that Fenway Sports Group, for their downsides, have overseen a great job of renovating Liverpool's Main Stand.

Please have a look at the full story:- Manchester United: How the Glazers have left Old Trafford in decay | Daily Mail Online

23 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Based on.... A hunch?

I just think it makes sense, he would fit well, he's proven to able to do well without money, timing of Pep leaving and his own contract at PSG. With all due respect I don't see how any top manager would want to step in to the United role with the club being run the way it is. 

Some Saturday food for thought.....

Earlier in the season under Ole we were scraping victories thanks to individual moments of brilliance, and playing terribly for most of the game. These last two games, we have dominated possession, shown that we have some kind of game plan on the pitch, created loads of chances, and just failed to put the ball in the back of the net....

Those early season victories felt like frauds. Whereas recently we don't feel like we are getting what we deserve. I know which I would prefer looking to the future

11 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Some Saturday food for thought.....

Earlier in the season under Ole we were scraping victories thanks to individual moments of brilliance, and playing terribly for most of the game. These last two games, we have dominated possession, shown that we have some kind of game plan on the pitch, created loads of chances, and just failed to put the ball in the back of the net....

Those early season victories felt like frauds. Whereas recently we don't feel like we are getting what we deserve. I know which I would prefer looking to the future

70 shots on goal, only 3 goals 

11 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

70 shots on goal, only 3 goals 

The finishing is a big problem mate, as are the defensive lapses. But overall we have played well in the last two games. I'd rather be in that position than playing <deleted> and getting lucky wins.

8 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

The finishing is a big problem mate, as are the defensive lapses. But overall we have played well in the last two games. I'd rather be in that position than playing <deleted> and getting lucky wins.

I'll give you that

Just what is wrong with United?

Ronaldo has had chance after chance to score. Is he past it? A younger forward would have feasted on them. Where is Cavani?

Is this poor spell really a blessing in disguise. Needs a rebuild.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Where he usually is..... in the physio room! 

Yes! Cavani hasn't played too much. But there is Greenwood and Rashford also. It all seems strange to me. As Paul Scholes said the other day. We are Manchester United. We should just go out and get these people. To be fair to him, he was talking about getting a top manager. But where is that attitude gone?

Ok! So that might not be so realistic but are there no back ups? No youth policy? Or did that go when Sir Alex relinquished the reins?

You have your finger on the Man U button. Spill the beans please Rick.

Sad to see United in the 'also-ran' list.