The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

36 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Yes! Cavani hasn't played too much. But there is Greenwood and Rashford also. It all seems strange to me. As Paul Scholes said the other day. We are Manchester United. We should just go out and get these people. To be fair to him, he was talking about getting a top manager. But where is that attitude gone?

Ok! So that might not be so realistic but are there no back ups? No youth policy? Or did that go when Sir Alex relinquished the reins?

You have your finger on the Man U button. Spill the beans please Rick.

Sad to see United in the 'also-ran' list.

You've touched on a few different points Owl so I'll try and break them down one by one. In my opinion....

Scholes was one of the best players ever but isn't the best pundit. He started off the programme by praising the improvement in overall play under Rangnick and worshipping Glen Hoddle (strange), and then ended it by suggesting we needed someone else. Total flip flop

I think the truth is Ralf is working with the remanents of Ole's team. He needs another couple of seasons to put his stamp on the team, whether that's as a front line coach, or as a consultant working with a manager like Ten Haag or Potch. It's always a fine line between reacting too quickly and backing a manager long term. But if we don't give this guy time then what's the point?

On the youth policy, we have the likes of Rashford, Elanga and McTominay playing in the first team, and kids such as Garner and Hanibal waiting in the wings. I think that is evidence that the United youth policy is still working, especially when you compare the players to have broken through vs our 'rivals'.

The worrying thing about the present situation is that we have a problem at both ends of the pitch in the form of Maguire and Ronaldo. Both might be hard to drop - Maguire is the captain and an expensive signing, while Ronny is a legend who is on ridiculous wages. I think the ballsy move now with Cavani out would be to try Rashford (who needs something to spark him into life) through the middle and drop Ronaldo. As for Harry, I just think dropping and stripping your captain just isn't the done thing halfway through the season. Maybe better to stick with it and hope he rediscovers his Euros form.

That's my two penny's worth

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

You've touched on a few different points Owl so I'll try and break them down one by one. In my opinion....

Scholes was one of the best players ever but isn't the best pundit. He started off the programme by praising the improvement in overall play under Rangnick and worshipping Glen Hoddle (strange), and then ended it by suggesting we needed someone else. Total flip flop

I think the truth is Ralf is working with the remanents of Ole's team. He needs another couple of seasons to put his stamp on the team, whether that's as a front line coach, or as a consultant working with a manager like Ten Haag or Potch. It's always a fine line between reacting too quickly and backing a manager long term. But if we don't give this guy time then what's the point?

On the youth policy, we have the likes of Rashford, Elanga and McTominay playing in the first team, and kids such as Garner and Hanibal waiting in the wings. I think that is evidence that the United youth policy is still working, especially when you compare the players to have broken through vs our 'rivals'.

The worrying thing about the present situation is that we have a problem at both ends of the pitch in the form of Maguire and Ronaldo. Both might be hard to drop - Maguire is the captain and an expensive signing, while Ronny is a legend who is on ridiculous wages. I think the ballsy move now with Cavani out would be to try Rashford (who needs something to spark him into life) through the middle and drop Ronaldo. As for Harry, I just think dropping and stripping your captain just isn't the done thing halfway through the season. Maybe better to stick with it and hope he rediscovers his Euros form.

That's my two penny's worth

You never mentioned Pogba Rick. For me, there is something up here. No doubting his talent, but in the time he has been at OT, the number of games where he has had a 'great game' are few Didn't a former manager describe him as a 'virus'?

Do you think there will be major changes at United?

idn't a former manager describe him as a 'virus'?

12 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

You never mentioned Pogba Rick. For me, there is something up here. No doubting his talent, but in the time he has been at OT, the number of games where he has had a 'great game' are few Didn't a former manager describe him as a 'virus'?

Do you think there will be major changes at United?

idn't a former manager describe him as a 'virus'?

I didn't mention Pogba Owl because he's been injured a lot and I would be completely shocked if he signed another contract. Expect him to go at the end of this season. Will be happy if he can contribute between now and the end of the season, but unfortunately his lack of a football brain still makes him a liability.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I didn't mention Pogba Owl because he's been injured a lot and I would be completely shocked if he signed another contract. Expect him to go at the end of this season. Will be happy if he can contribute between now and the end of the season, but unfortunately his lack of a football brain still makes him a liability.

Good honest assessment of your team/club in the last few posts Rick, Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BangrakBob said:

Gary Neville giving it to them...

Of course I like Nev, but I don't like it when he pretends to be something he's not, i.e. political activist or in this case, media expert.

The leaks might not be from the players. The stories might be from an agent, made up, or even from a contact related to a different club. We probably get more news coverage than any other club, so of course there are going to be stories around the team. It's the least of our worries.

23 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Of course I like Nev, but I don't like it when he pretends to be something he's not, i.e. political activist or in this case, media expert.

The leaks might not be from the players. The stories might be from an agent, made up, or even from a contact related to a different club. We probably get more news coverage than any other club, so of course there are going to be stories around the team. It's the least of our worries.

The business model for Salford City is to attract disaffected Utd fans.

FC United have the same model but no star owners spouting off on the telly or a billionaire Singaporean investor to prop them up.

16 minutes ago, champers said:

FC United have the same model but no star owners spouting off on the telly or a billionaire Singaporean investor to prop them up.

Interesting

17 minutes ago, champers said:

I know that FC United attracted middle aged hooligans banned from watching United. They were known in non league circles for smuggling cheap lager into the grounds and bullying young opposition fans.... Little or no segregation

Edited by RickG16

Anyone remember Barcelona at home in 1984 ??? Maradona was Captain that night - 2-0  down from the 1st leg - Won 3-0 on the night.

Standing room only on the train from London up to Manchester that night - Bought my £2.60 face value ticket off a tout for £5.

Old Trafford was rocking to the rafters that night - One of the greatest European nights at OT in the last 50 years.

16 hours ago, RedArmy said:

Anyone remember Barcelona at home in 1984 ??? Maradona was Captain that night - 2-0  down from the 1st leg - Won 3-0 on the night.

Standing room only on the train from London up to Manchester that night - Bought my £2.60 face value ticket off a tout for £5.

Old Trafford was rocking to the rafters that night - One of the greatest European nights at OT in the last 50 years.

Welcome mate.

I was only 1 but heard stories about that night. Bryan Robson carried by the fans to the tunnel?

18 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Welcome mate.

I was only 1 but heard stories about that night. Bryan Robson carried by the fans to the tunnel?

Yes, Robbo banged in 2 that night -  Was on the pitch after the final whistle - Robbo was carried off by the fans - I still have my ticket stub.

My first United match was 10th December 1977 away at West Spam - Lost 2-1  - I still have these ticket stubs also.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Liverpool, City and Bayern are obviously the big 3 contenders for the CL.

After that, I don't think anyone has a much better chance than us.

You just never know. Greece won Euro 2004.

We have Ronaldo. We have a chance.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedArmy said:

Could be a Gooner - They always walk around with Chips on their shoulders.

For info. ChipButty is a United fan. Rick was asking him (like he does every week) what his thoughts were on what the United team would be.

• Haha 1

Not surprised one bit by what i witnessed yesterday - Totally outplayed & outclassed.

Doesn't matter which manager we have, some of these players just aint good enough.

£80 Million for a Fridge - He is the worst center back i have EVER seen at United - Please lets cut our losses & buy a proper center back - Maybe get 30 Million for him if we are lucky.

Pogba - He's gone in the summer for the 2nd time on a free - Prancing around the pitch yesterday like Bambi.

AWB - Offers nothing going forward - In the modern game, we need attacking full backs.

Jessie - Should have let him leave & got a few quid for him - Gone in the summer on a free.

Fred - I hate seeing him in a United shirt - Please get rid of him - Sell him for a bag of crisps & a Mars Bar.

Matic & Mata - Too slow - Time to go.

Martial - Love him but lazy as <deleted> - Even Seville dont want to buy him - Lucky to get £25 Million for him.

Cavani - Only plays when he feels like it - Gone in the summer.

Ronaldo - No top 4, he will be off too.

Rashford - Since he dyed his hair, he's been pretty <deleted> - I would sell him, maybe £60 Million.

Shaw - Never really liked him & much prefer Tellles.

Elanga - He's one for the future - plays for the badge.

Sancho - Give him time, i like him.

Lindelof - IMO - Our best center back - Keep Varane too.

Eric B - I like him but he's always injured & a bit reckless - £15 Million.

Mctommeny - A lot of Reds dont like him but we gotta keep him - He's not afraid to put himself about.

Henderson - Could have got £40 Million for him - Sell him.

Fernandes - Wish he would stop moaning on the pitch - Gives the ball away far too much.

Too many players more interested in their social media accounts than fighting for the badge.

We need at least 8 OUT & 8 IN.

Buy a new CB.

An attacking right back.

3 new midfielders.

An out & out Center Forward.

And a left winger who knows how to cross a ball - Sancho can play on the right.

I remember watching United in the 80's when we were winning only the occasional FA Cup - Good times IMO because at least we knew that EVERY player on that pitch was fighting for the BADGE.

Get Ten Hag in & buy Tellimans from Leicester - Maybe even give them back the Fridge in part exchange.

Oh yeah, nearly forgot - Darren Fletcher - Please <deleted> Off & bring Phelan with you too.

We managed to get rid of Ole, Carrick & McKenna - But he's somehow managed to worm his way onto the United bench. 

Thursday night football for us next season - Need a massive overhaul of our playing staff.

4 hours ago, RedArmy said:

Cavani - Only plays when he feels like it - Gone in the summer.

Looks like he may have downed tools. But to be fair to him, he was one of our best players last season, then we bought Ronaldo and he got stripped of the number 7. Mistreated. 

• Confused 1