The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

I'll go one further than that, saying that this was a pathetic performance based on the money spent.

I have never seen such a huge gulf between the fourth placed team (United) and the first two in the PL and United will be lucky if they finish in the top six if they continue to play like this. There were players out there who were not prepared to work for the team, and I can only hope that a few of them have gone come the summer transfer window, Pogba especially, as it's quite obvious he doesn't want to be there, and as I have said many times on this thread, they are short of a good total midfield, let alone a good striker.

The Match of the Day pundits have had it right for many weeks when they have analysed the United games, inasmuch as they have more or less mirrored my comments above with regards to drive, desire and work rate, all of them poor. 

Although we are fourth in the PL, we are lucky to be there given performances like the last one. And how on earth has Rashford gone from a superstar to an also-ran in such a short space of time?? Unbelievable.

Not sure why you sound as if this is new. Despite us playing better against City in previous years there has still been a massive quality gap between those top 2.

• Like 1

It's really incredible that after spending so much money, their squad resembles a rag tag bunch of mercenaries with no style of play and no real system. Managed by someone that nobody had heard of 6 months ago and who isn't really a Manager.

In need of a complete rebuild. 5th place in the table flatters them, it's going to be a long way back from here especially with those 'characters' in the dressing room.

• Like 2

@ChipButty @RedArmy and anyone else who has been lucky enough to attend OT recently....

I am looking for some tickets for a home game in late April. The problem with buying through the membership scheme is that there's no guarantee of tickets, it's just as and when they become available, so pretty useless if you are trying to plan a holiday!

Do you guys know of any good websites / contacts to buy tickets?

So far I have looked on StubHub and those kind of sites and am looking at about 500 GBP for 3 tickets.......

Cheers

On 3/9/2022 at 10:22 AM, JonnyF said:

It's really incredible that after spending so much money, their squad resembles a rag tag bunch of mercenaries with no style of play and no real system. Managed by someone that nobody had heard of 6 months ago and who isn't really a Manager.

I hadn't really looked at it like that, but since you mention it, I think you are just about spot on, sad to say, as they have been my team since 1956/57 and I always have been an avid supporter, and always will be, but am not afraid to be critical of a team from which so much more is expected.

• Like 2

On 3/9/2022 at 10:22 AM, JonnyF said:

In need of a complete rebuild. 5th place in the table flatters them, it's going to be a long way back from here especially with those 'characters' in the dressing room.

the majority if not all with a BIG EGO, for me the problem starts with the "Fridge" Maguire captain, remove him and things will start to improve..... Impossible to make a F1 car with bad/<deleted> parts

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

I hadn't really looked at it like that, but since you mention it, I think you are just about spot on, sad to say, as they have been my team since 1956/57 and I always have been an avid supporter, and always will be, but am not afraid to be critical of a team from which so much more is expected.

Or should you ask yourself, whether you should temper your expectations. We all know success in football comes in cycles, and you rarely go from a 25 year dynasty into another one....

In football as in life, you need to give different approaches a try and see which one works. There are some very good teams around, 2 of the very best in Europe. We have no God given right to win anything and it was always going to be a long hard road after Fergie.

24 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

The latter

Its a bit of a logistical nightmare but could probably sort you out.

Will you be travelling to Manchester on the day of the match or will you already be in Manchester ?

30 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Its a bit of a logistical nightmare but could probably sort you out.

Will you be travelling to Manchester on the day of the match or will you already be in Manchester ?

Will already be in Manchester....

22 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Or should you ask yourself, whether you should temper your expectations. We all know success in football comes in cycles, and you rarely go from a 25 year dynasty into another one....

In football as in life, you need to give different approaches a try and see which one works. There are some very good teams around, 2 of the very best in Europe. We have no God given right to win anything and it was always going to be a long hard road after Fergie.

I can't subscribe to your viewpoint I'm afraid, because the approach you take is like an "umbrella approach" covering everything from a great height, but pinpointing nothing IMO.

Digging deeper there are some specifics that haven't been addressed and need to be: 

– For example how long has it been since we have had a good consistent and strong midfield playmaker?

– And how about a striker (or two) who is on form for more than a couple of goals a month?

– Why have we got so many players on our books who are not getting game time and should have been sold at least at the last transfer window, even if we didn't recoup our initial outlay for them. 

– Just look at how many managers, whether part-time or full-time we have had since AF departed.......Ralf Rangnick, Michael Carrick, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Jose Mourinho, Louis van Gaal, Ryan Giggs and David Moyes. 

It seems to me that the administration in the club are not able to pick a suitable manager.

– Something is deeply wrong within the club because on the managers and signings front we have not really "cut the mustard".

For me, Varane has been the best signing for quite some while, and IMO United will need the influx of a few players, not just one or two, to adjust the balance, as well as getting rid of a few "posers".

• Like 2

On 3/11/2022 at 5:36 PM, xylophone said:

– Just look at how many managers, whether part-time or full-time we have had since AF departed.......Ralf Rangnick, Michael Carrick, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Jose Mourinho, Louis van Gaal, Ryan Giggs and David Moyes. 

Firstly xylo, I wasn't attempting to go through the details. My point was meant to be just that.... An overarching point that 20 years of success under one manager is rarely followed by another.

You are going through the nuts and bolts of why the team is failing, which is fine, and most of which I agree with, but we / I have been through that plenty of times.

But let's not try and be wise guys with the benefit of hindsight here. Mourinho and LVG had outstanding track records and I don't remember too many people objecting to their appointment at the time. Ole had his sceptics, but if you recall he got off to a flyer, and during that winning streak I think everyone and his dog said we should give him a job. 

Moving on to Rangnick. I'm sure you've noticed he is a very methodical guy, and therefore (going back to expectations) it will take time for him to implement those methods, and balance what you have agreed is an unbalanced squad. It might not work out in the end! But one thing I know for sure is it's not going to take half a season. We are now on a path of damage limitation for the rest of the season (in terms if what can be achieved). So let's just get behind the lads and the manager.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 5:02 AM, Pmbkk said:

You have to give it to Ronaldo - no disputing facts...

I actually saw a Utd defensive line at one point - I had to look up again

some here criticizing Ronaldo not long ago, he went from  villain to a hero over night....  as for defensive line, as long as Maguire is there not much to brag about, mistake after mistake, own goal, the guy should look at other pastures

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

the guy should look at other pastures

I agree, put him out to graze - Maybe sell him to Leeds - Baahhh baaaahh baaaaaah

Or better still, drop him off outside a 2nd hand shop that sells Fridges.

3 hours ago, RedArmy said:

I agree, put him out to graze - Maybe sell him to Leeds - Baahhh baaaahh baaaaaah

Or better still, drop him off outside a 2nd hand shop that sells Fridges.

they can't find anybody willing to pay a squid for him..... maybe if free and say maybe, some team would take him to clear the pitch 555