The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Just now, RickG16 said:

You should have said won a European competition.

Some would say getting a team from the Dutch league (one that can't compare to the 1970s or 1990s Ajax) to a Champions League semi-final is a trophy in itself.

as I said before, it's all a matter of opinion  555

On 10/2/2022 at 6:23 PM, mrbojangles said:

Melbourne is one of our clubs in the City group

Aware of that. I get A league games from my TV provider. Games are not that great to be honest but at grass roots the game is thriving, especially in junior & women's football. A league competition just starting, played in summer as to avoid RL ,Aussie Rules and Rugby. Every game covered live.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 1:30 PM, RickG16 said:

Who?

Ten Hag isn't a bad coach. He just got it wrong on the day.

The coach always gets the blame but that doesn't excuse the number of times McTominay and others gave the ball away. I lost count. Prior to the game I would have have taken a 2-1 defeat as a sign of further improvement but that score line simply is not acceptable and no matter what formations the lack of energy amongst a whole lot of players defending and the inability of Sancho and Antony to track back and help defend was obvious. 

After praising McTominay and Erikson for their performance in the International break they made the mf non existent. I simply can't come to grips with the inconsistency. I would have hooked both of them at HT.

Maybe they will have all have a good look in the mirror which is normal after a flogging. 

Just read the Donny Van de Beek and Wan Bissaka are injured, couldn't have been from playing, please leave in January 

I hope Sancho was shown a video of Garnacho playing for the under 21's in the EFL Cup v Barrow. Locked up at 1-1, in the last few seconds he took it on himself to motor up the left wing at incredible speed ,cut inside and slot home the winner. I didn't see any commitment from Sancho or Rashford v City ,none at all and this kid is giving his all.

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

The coach always gets the blame but that doesn't excuse the number of times McTominay and others gave the ball away. I lost count. Prior to the game I would have have taken a 2-1 defeat as a sign of further improvement but that score line simply is not acceptable and no matter what formations the lack of energy amongst a whole lot of players defending and the inability of Sancho and Antony to track back and help defend was obvious. 

After praising McTominay and Erikson for their performance in the International break they made the mf non existent. I simply can't come to grips with the inconsistency. I would have hooked both of them at HT.

Maybe they will have all have a good look in the mirror which is normal after a flogging. 

Just read the Donny Van de Beek and Wan Bissaka are injured, couldn't have been from playing, please leave in January 

I hope Sancho was shown a video of Garnacho playing for the under 21's in the EFL Cup v Barrow. Locked up at 1-1, in the last few seconds he took it on himself to motor up the left wing at incredible speed ,cut inside and slot home the winner. I didn't see any commitment from Sancho or Rashford v City ,none at all and this kid is giving his all.

I agree the gameplan was wrong. We needed two defensive midfielders - but then you need to drop a) Eriksen our best player this season or b) Bruno who never seems to get dropped and is now the captain. It would have been a massive call to make coming off a run of wins.

And on Garnacho, I wasn't too impressed with Sancho or Rashford either, but I'm pretty sure they would scare the <deleted> out of Barrow!

Problem with Bruno , Fred and One or Two others, they tend to fall on the floor and expect a foul everytime somebody touches their back .

If the foul is not given , which this season is more likely than not , then we have give the ball away and out defense is left exposed.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NE1 said:

Problem with Bruno , Fred and One or Two others, they tend to fall on the floor and expect a foul everytime somebody touches their back .

If the foul is not given , which this season is more likely than not , then we have give the ball away and out defense is left exposed.

no mention of Malacia, how many times did he lost the ball, was overrun in 1st half  555

On 10/6/2022 at 7:32 PM, RickG16 said:

I agree the gameplan was wrong. We needed two defensive midfielders - but then you need to drop a) Eriksen our best player this season or b) Bruno who never seems to get dropped and is now the captain. It would have been a massive call to make coming off a run of wins.

And on Garnacho, I wasn't too impressed with Sancho or Rashford either, but I'm pretty sure they would scare the <deleted> out of Barrow!

On Sancho's recent performances and Rashford's against City Barrow would be about their level.

What impressed me about Garnacho that the game was winding down to a draw but he took it upon himself to make the difference ,his run leaving defenders in his wake was that of someone fully committed and a clinical finish. I'm sure its on you tube. Is Sancho fully committed ? no Is Rashford giving his all ? in bursts. Their chances of making the England squad are very slim at best but I'm more interested in them making an effort for MU and justifying their massive wages.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2022 at 5:13 PM, Sparkles said:

Aware of that. I get A league games from my TV provider. Games are not that great to be honest but at grass roots the game is thriving, especially in junior & women's football. A league competition just starting, played in summer as to avoid RL ,Aussie Rules and Rugby. Every game covered live.

@ mrbojangles My apologies the info I was given by an old team mate was wrong Nani is playing for Melbourne Victory not Melbourne City, yes it does get confusing .City played last night and won 2-1 Melbourne Victory play Sydney FC tonight. 

So many promising young Australian players have headed overseas which is good for their careers but leaves the A League lacking in quality.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sparkles said:

@ mrbojangles My apologies the info I was given by an old team mate was wrong Nani is playing for Melbourne Victory not Melbourne City, yes it does get confusing .City played last night and won 2-1 Melbourne Victory play Sydney FC tonight. 

So many promising young Australian players have headed overseas which is good for their careers but leaves the A League lacking in quality.

I'm sure Nani would never lower his status with United fans by playing for Melbourne City.

3 hours ago, Sparkles said:

On Sancho's recent performances and Rashford's against City Barrow would be about their level.

What impressed me about Garnacho that the game was winding down to a draw but he took it upon himself to make the difference ,his run leaving defenders in his wake was that of someone fully committed and a clinical finish. I'm sure its on you tube. Is Sancho fully committed ? no Is Rashford giving his all ? in bursts. Their chances of making the England squad are very slim at best but I'm more interested in them making an effort for MU and justifying their massive wages.

My point is though it's a huge step up. Heard great things about Garnacho. But look at the way that people like Chong or Garner never made the grade.

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Heard great things about Garnacho.

You heard right, this kid is the real deal - He will get his chance very soon & i have a feeling that when he gets in, it's gonna be hard for ETH to leave him out -  Personally think he's better than Rashford.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RedArmy said:

You heard right, this kid is the real deal - He will get his chance very soon & i have a feeling that when he gets in, it's gonna be hard for ETH to leave him out -  Personally think he's better than Rashford.

But mate we were saying these things 2 years ago about the likes of Chong and that small kid who ended up in Portugal. Can't see many managers dropping a player like Rashford who is coming into his prime for a teenager. (Whether we think they should or not). First he's got to get ahead of the likes of Elanga in the pecking order.

It's not going to be easy for him to get in the team when managers need to justify the transfer fees and high wages of first teamers. I think at United sometimes we are guilty of romantacising young players because we are hoping for another class of 92 or Busby babes. 

3 hours ago, RedArmy said:

to be better then Rashford is not very difficult.... if it's the same with that Malacia kid as some guys here claimed he was fantastic and much better then Telles, just check how many balls he loses/bad passes he makes  555

Edited by Mavideol
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, NE1 said:

One thing is for sure , we need Two good centrebacks and a goalscorer.

We definitely need a goalscorer that's for sure -Ronaldo will be gone in January & Martial is injury prone - Lindelof is not good enough & Maguire is sh ite - We need another couple of transfer windows to even resemble a decent squad - 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, NE1 said:

One thing is for sure , we need Two good centrebacks and a goalscorer.

I believe we also need someone who can take control of the midfield, and run it, and although Eriksson and Fernandes are good players, they don't control or dominate the midfield and that is something we have missed for quite some time. Do that and get a goalscorer and we will be up and running again.

I remember just a few short years ago when Manchester United's name was linked to Haarland and Kevin de Bruyne, both superb players whom I thought we should have snapped up, but we didn't – – now look where they are.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Will he go to a team that's playing in the CL ? Only playing thursday night football this season means he could still play in the CL doesn't it?

I'm not sure to be honest if he would be cup tied or not - I don't think anyone really wants him - Could possibly end up in the UAE for 1 final payday.

Fernandes seemed to go off the boil when Ronaldo arrived. He is a skilful player , but he lacks physical strength.

I remeber when Pogba arrived , I thought we were getting a Patrick Viera clone. Boss the game , put it about a bit , how wrong I was.

Edited by NE1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/8/2022 at 10:54 AM, RickG16 said:

I'm sure Nani would never lower his status with United fans by playing for Melbourne City.

His performance for Melbourne Victories win was quite outstanding, sure to be a fans favourite. Played right wing, laid on 2 assists ,one an inch perfect cross, game played in torrential rain. Looks fitter than most 35 years old's. Perhaps we should have resigned him????

Tonight v Everton is a pivotal moment even so early in the season, not to get 3 points makes top 4 even at this early stage, start looking it might be out of reach.

To expand on my whinge about the likes of Sancho's performances who rightly got hooked at half time last Thursday against Omonia, a team made out up of journey men who would struggle in the Championship.

He was taken off along with Malacia, as he too was having a shocker, because he looked totally disinterested. To scramble a win against opposition like that shows how dire we presently are.

A comparison : Sancho v Foden, both the same age and 2 years ago most would have said that they were almost equals in potential. Fast forward and Foden is now scoring goals and making assists, running at defenders, causing havoc, and being one of the first on the team sheet for England.

Sancho has regressed to a point where he is not worth a place in our starting 11.

Interesting if anyone saw an interview this week  between Joe Cole and Paul Scholes. Scholes was  asked what was our greatest ever Managers main demands of a player. Scholes, a man of few words said just one "desire" that's how SAF evaluated his players and if he didn't see "desire" he moved them on or left them in the stands.

Today as we know some players are just so precious and lacking character, Ali ,Lingard, Pogba you could make a long list.

The club is now apparently scrambling to get Ganarcho an extended contract ,to lose him would be a disaster IMO .If you want to see "desire" he epitomizes it and there are others in the youth pipeline waiting for a chance.

Lastly Scholes was asked who was the most under rated player he ever played with ?

Quick as a flash, Michael Carrick...hear hear 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Tonight v Everton is a pivotal moment even so early in the season, not to get 3 points makes top 4 even at this early stage, start looking it might be out of reach.

To expand on my whinge about the likes of Sancho's performances who rightly got hooked at half time last Thursday against Omonia, a team made out up of journey men who would struggle in the Championship.

He was taken off along with Malacia, as he too was having a shocker, because he looked totally disinterested. To scramble a win against opposition like that shows how dire we presently are.

A comparison : Sancho v Foden, both the same age and 2 years ago most would have said that they were almost equals in potential. Fast forward and Foden is now scoring goals and making assists, running at defenders, causing havoc, and being one of the first on the team sheet for England.

Sancho has regressed to a point where he is not worth a place in our starting 11.

Interesting if anyone saw an interview this week  between Joe Cole and Paul Scholes. Scholes was  asked what was our greatest ever Managers main demands of a player. Scholes, a man of few words said just one "desire" that's how SAF evaluated his players and if he didn't see "desire" he moved them on or left them in the stands.

Today as we know some players are just so precious and lacking character, Ali ,Lingard, Pogba you could make a long list.

The club is now apparently scrambling to get Ganarcho an extended contract ,to lose him would be a disaster IMO .If you want to see "desire" he epitomizes it and there are others in the youth pipeline waiting for a chance.

Lastly Scholes was asked who was the most under rated player he ever played with ?

Quick as a flash, Michael Carrick...hear hear 

Massive win