The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

It appears I am not the only one thinking Sancho is a "average" player or a flop

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/soccer

Sancho’s game boasts to many limitations to be truly effective as a Premier League winger.

Sancho is a skilful player, though does lack top end pace. As such, the end result has often been attacks stalling at Sancho’s feet with the ball eventually passed harmlessly back inside.

“Sancho, he gets the ball and passes it backwards.

2 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

It appears I am not the only one thinking Sancho is a "average" player or a flop

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/soccer

Sancho’s game boasts to many limitations to be truly effective as a Premier League winger.

Sancho is a skilful player, though does lack top end pace. As such, the end result has often been attacks stalling at Sancho’s feet with the ball eventually passed harmlessly back inside.

“Sancho, he gets the ball and passes it backwards.

Some are waiting for him to produce consistent match-winning performances but I think this is as good as it gets for him. He was over-hyped when he joined Utd; not least by the BBC in Salford who portrayed him as a Messi/Ronaldo hybrid. Not the lad's fault, of course, but unhelpful.

Fact is - if he was top drawer he wouldn't have been let go by City. They got a % of the sell-on fee when he left Dortmund. Good business for them, not so for Utd. He will probably end up at Everton or some other non-achievers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannork said:

Lads, what's happened to the post match video interviews with the managers that used to feature in the reviews of PL games just played on BBC Football Premier League? Have they all shifted exclusively to Match of the Day? 

BBC Sport have them on their web site, live text feed and yes on Match of the Day ,no explanation  I've seen 

1 hour ago, NE1 said:

Give young Ganacho an outing or Two.

Suggested this a while ago when Sancho's form dip saw him being hooked early and averaging a 4/10 player rating. He is not the player that was expected to be a signature signing following his impressive outings with Dortmund.

One factor any coach wants from a winger is to show some desire by running at the defence and getting into the box, worst nightmare for a defender is the danger that you are not going to match his pace and be forced to tackle him, mistime it, and maybe give away a penalty. 

Sancho for whatever reason is simply not showing the desire required and shows no reaction when he is hooked.

I would hope that this upcoming Europa League fixture v Sheriff Tiraspol EtH takes the opportunity to rotate some positions and perhaps a front line of Ganarcho, Martial (if fit) or Rashford,  Elanga

The schedule is going to get brutal. Dalot for one has played every game.

Total frustration with McTominay, put on to consolidate the defence and not for the first time decides to rugby tackle an attacker with both arms wrapped around him ,a foul anywhere on the pitch let alone in the penalty box. Has the message not got through that with VAR you are simply not going to get away with it. Those 2 points lost, after being the better team, might be critical come the final points tally. 

• Like 1

McTominay is just lazy when defending..... Attack the ball not the man , I hope he got a bollocking for that.

I thought Sancho was going to be another Giggs the way he was raved about.

He is either scared to take somebody or does not have the ability.

33 minutes ago, NE1 said:

McTominay is just lazy when defending..... Attack the ball not the man , I hope he got a bollocking for that.

Sancho is not alone being over rated.... the other Manchester team also has  Grealish when at Villa he confronted the defenders lately is the king of pass back or side ways doesn't challenge the opponents

7 hours ago, Mavideol said:

Sancho is not alone being over rated.... the other Manchester team also has  Grealish when at Villa he confronted the defenders lately is the king of pass back or side ways doesn't challenge the opponents

Because Pep wants to keep the ball

7 hours ago, NE1 said:

Giggs was obviously far better but it's worth noting an old school winger in a 4-4-2 is far different to to a modern day wide forward in a 4-2-3-1

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

What did you think of Ronaldo's performance overall?

Difficult to assess due to the poor opposition - He scored, but should have had at least 2 - At times, i thought he looked a little bit out of place playing in the way we are trying to play but in the 2nd half he linked up well in our attack - Garnacho had a great game though, he was doing things with the ball that we haven't really seen from Sancho - Great control & 1st touch & a constant willingness to attack the defender & take him on - Unlucky not to score in the 2nd half with a well worked corner - Overall, a good dominant performance, but the opposition were very poor - Another clean sheet was a plus, but would have been nice to have given DdG a rest for this one. - Martinez is absolute quality & is becoming a firm favourite with the fans already.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Difficult to assess due to the poor opposition - He scored, but should have had at least 2 - At times, i thought he looked a little bit out of place playing in the way we are trying to play but in the 2nd half he linked up well in our attack - Garnacho had a great game though, he was doing things with the ball that we haven't really seen from Sancho - Great control & 1st touch & a constant willingness to attack the defender & take him on - Unlucky not to score in the 2nd half with a well worked corner - Overall, a good dominant performance, but the opposition were very poor - Another clean sheet was a plus, but would have been nice to have given DdG a rest for this one. - Martinez is absolute quality & is becoming a firm favourite with the fans already.

555.... 555.....are you agreeing with me and saying Sancho doesn't have a place in this team, the kid, without experience, is already better then the "experienced" Sancho... MU should assess their loss and let Sancho go a bottom 3-4 team  555

Edited by Mavideol

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

555.... 555.....are you agreeing with me and saying Sancho doesn't have a place in this team, the kid, without experience, is already better then the "experienced" Sancho... MU should assess their loss and let Sancho go a bottom 3-4 team  555

I'm not agreeing with you anything - Sancho will come good again for sure & he ain't going anywhere.

So no need to take your Sancho pictures down from your bedroom wall just yet ????

16 hours ago, RedArmy said:

I'm not agreeing with you anything - Sancho will come good again for sure & he ain't going anywhere.

So no need to take your Sancho pictures down from your bedroom wall just yet ????

nahh, still using them as my "toilet" paper ????

On 10/28/2022 at 6:06 PM, Mavideol said:

Which bottom 3-4 team would be able to afford Sancho or his wages?.... A bit like the mid-table teams you think Mahrez and Grealish should be playing for

• Like 1

Not exactly an inspiring performance from the host club considering they were playing a team just above the relegation zone. Rashford's header brilliant but you have to get the second and they had plenty of opportunities, Ronaldo's radar is way off. Last 10 minutes was just hanging on, no margin for error, and thankfully De Gea was in top form. Hard to believe he is not even in the top 5 of Spanish keepers, more a personality issue with the manager one would think.

Positives another clean sheet but only  +1 goal difference. Back 4 were all good and Dalot outstanding. Maguire, despite a couple of times giving the ball away, looked pretty solid and made important blocks.

Elanga turned down the chance to impress, hardly involved. Garnacho has moved way up the pecking order.

Move onto the next game, what's the priority Europa or top 4 ? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Either would get us into the European cup next year....

Just keep going from game to game , don't get complacent , try and find a goalscorer and another decent centrback in January and see where it takes us.

It looked like McTominay was not strong enough last night , he was getting bullied.

Edited by NE1

On 10/31/2022 at 5:28 PM, Sparkles said:

Not exactly an inspiring performance from the host club considering they were playing a team just above the relegation zone. Rashford's header brilliant but you have to get the second and they had plenty of opportunities, Ronaldo's radar is way off. Last 10 minutes was just hanging on, no margin for error, and thankfully De Gea was in top form. Hard to believe he is not even in the top 5 of Spanish keepers, more a personality issue with the manager one would think.

Positives another clean sheet but only  +1 goal difference. Back 4 were all good and Dalot outstanding. Maguire, despite a couple of times giving the ball away, looked pretty solid and made important blocks.

Elanga turned down the chance to impress, hardly involved. Garnacho has moved way up the pecking order.

Giving the ball away a few times doesn't equate to solid for me!

4 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Giving the ball away a few times doesn't equate to solid for me!

Well was really referring to one block that was goal bound . Did say a couple of times not a few, there is a difference !

The guy has had a pounding from media and others, trying to be positive ???? he was hardly the only one who gave the ball away its contagious

Edited by Sparkles

Appears attacking options are down to the bare bones tonight. Martial, Antony both not fit to start, Sancho ill, so that leaves Rashford ,Ronaldo, Elanga and Garnacho.

Surely based on current form Elanga will be on the bench.

Need to win by 2 clear goals to top the group but coming second not the end of the world. 

42 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Well was really referring to one block that was goal bound . Did say a couple of times not a few, there is a difference !

The guy has had a pounding from media and others, trying to be positive ???? he was hardly the only one who gave the ball away its contagious

It looks like you are trying very hard to be positive ???? to me he's still a massive liability at the wrong end of the pitch 

26 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Just realised that the clocks have changed - Gonna be a 3am kick off tonight - Gonna be a long night as I'll be staying up to watch it - United need to win by at least 2 clear goals to win the group.

12.45am your time pal. Early kick off

• Love It 1

23 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

12.45am your time pal. Early kick off

Wow, that's great news, thankyou for the heads up brother - That's a result, was gonna go home & then come back to the bar later - By the time i came back, the match would have been over ????????

4 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Wow, that's great news, thankyou for the heads up brother - That's a result, was gonna go home & then come back to the bar later - By the time i came back, the match would have been over ????????

Pleasure mate. 1.45am kick off here in Malaysia. I'm tempted but might be a replay job.

We need to fix up our finishing tonight. Can't afford all these missed chances.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1