The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

21 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Did I read it right somewhere that ETH brought Maguire on as a striker?

ESPN. " In contrast, despite needing a goal and even bringing on Harry Maguire as a makeshift striker, the visitors failed to muster a single shot on target in the second half, allowing Real Sociedad to finish top on goal differential and reach the last 16 of a European competition for the first time inn 20 years ".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

What you on about? Maguire doesn't read this forum.

Did he or did he not bring him on as a striker? Bit strange ain't it

Yes he did and he made very little impact. Would have been better bringing on someone who's job it was to score goals..... They knew they needed another goal.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RickG16 said:

It looks like you are trying very hard to be positive ???? to me he's still a massive liability at the wrong end of the pitch 

Maybe in his current form he is a liability but am sure he is giving his all and Ronaldo has lost his mojo, can't buy a goal.

Who else is there ? HM used to be useful on set pieces for England and from memory has put a few in the back of the net reason why EtH gave him a go up front I guess. 

Some people moaned about letting Bailly go, he is injured again and had to be replaced that's 3 times this season he's had to come off injured.    Another CB is a priority but EtH to be fair needs at least another 2 windows

A family contact, since retired from Carrington, told me today team spirit is good, they are adapting to EtH different ways and yet another clean sheet so its not all doom and gloom.

I've been banging on about Garnacho and proved right and if Mason Greenwood hadn't gone off the rails the 2 of them, with Rashford, could have been a potential front line for the next 5 years.

I am afraid I would have to agree with you. 

I think ETH got it wrong , Ronaldo to me is not a target man , and this appears to be what the rest of the team think he is. 

Crossing a ball in to the box while 4 Villa defenders are near him is stupid , yet we continued to do it.

I'm sorry to say , but I think we function as a team better when he is not playing.

There appears to be too much emphasis on him having to score our goals. 

When a team presses , you have to press the keeper and hurry him into releasing the ball , Ronaldo wasn't doing that , he was just jogging about in front of him , and the keeper had to much time with the ball at his feet to weigh his options up.

Sorry No.7 I think your time is up.

Edited by NE1
  • Like 1

United played like sxxt, been saying it for sometime but because they "luckily" got 2-3 wins the fans started to imagine the impossible... ETH style looks to familiar to another "previous" Hollandese coach... Van Gaal comes to mind... yesterday was eye opening as Villa played simple and efficient.

23 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

ETH style looks to familiar to another "previous" Hollandese coach... Van Gaal comes to mind...

You certainly outdone yourself there with that outrageously ridiculous comment - 2 completely different managers with 2 completely different philosophies about how to play football.

The only thing that they have in common are that they are both Dutch.

Taking over, taking over, taking over Barcelona - Buzzing with this draw, just gutted i won't be able to be at either match.

Was there the last time we beat them at Old Trafford in the 2008 Semi final 2nd leg, thanks to a Paul Scholes beauty - Had 11 tickets for the 1st leg in Barcelona, thanks to a good Pal of mine in Spain,  which finished 0-0, Ronaldo missing a penalty that night - Sorted most of my pals out for that one - Good times as we went on to win the Champions League in Moscow - What a crazy night that was in the Moscow rain - The following year, they took their revenge in the Final in Rome @ the Stadio Olympico as they beat us 2-0 - Was in Rome for the whole week & even though we lost, that trip will live in my memory forever. 

But the mother of all Barcelona clashes came in March 1984 - We were 2-0 down from the 1st leg - Noone gave us a chance  at Old Trafford with Diego Maradona captaining Barca - Standing room only on the train up to Manchester from London - We won 3-0, with Robson being carried aloft off the pitch at the end - Big Ron Atkinson's greatest ever victory - Bought my ticket off a tout that night for £5 - £2.60 face value.

Ask any old school United fan who was lucky enough to be inside the stadium that night & they will all tell you the same thing - Old Trafford was literally shaking & the noise that night was incredible & nothing has ever come close to it since.

images.jpeg-3.jpg

Edited by RedArmy
Added picture
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, RedArmy said:

Taking over, taking over, taking over Barcelona - Buzzing with this draw, just gutted i won't be able to be at either match.

Was there the last time we beat them at Old Trafford in the 2008 Semi final 2nd leg, thanks to a Paul Scholes beauty - Had 11 tickets for the 1st leg in Barcelona, thanks to a good Pal of mine in Spain,  which finished 0-0, Ronaldo missing a penalty that night - Sorted most of my pals out for that one - Good times as we went on to win the Champions League in Moscow - What a crazy night that was in the Moscow rain - The following year, they took their revenge in the Final in Rome @ the Stadio Olympico as they beat us 2-0 - Was in Rome for the whole week & even though we lost, that trip will live in my memory forever. 

But the mother of all Barcelona clashes came in March 1984 - We were 2-0 down from the 1st leg - Noone gave us a chance  at Old Trafford with Diego Maradona captaining Barca - Standing room only on the train up to Manchester from London - We won 3-0, with Robson being carried aloft off the pitch at the end - Big Ron Atkinson's greatest ever victory - Bought my ticket off a tout that night for £5 - £2.60 face value.

Ask any old school United fan who was lucky enough to be inside the stadium that night & they will all tell you the same thing - Old Trafford was literally shaking & the noise that night was incredible & nothing has ever come close to it since.

images.jpeg-3.jpg

It might of been 0-0 but that 2008 away leg showed Fergie at his tactical best. He realised we couldn't go toe to toe with that Barca team so we just concentrated on working our socks off with Ronaldo the lone striker. Got them back to OT all square and the rest is history.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Got them back to OT all square and the rest is history.

An away goal would have eased the nerves though - The last 15 minutes of that 2nd leg was hard graft - Incredible noise at the final whistle.

• Like 1