The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

On 1/7/2023 at 12:18 PM, NE1 said:

I agree , but the financial criteria he is talking about is determined by the board and not the manager . 

I just don't like to see other teams paying a few more million for players we want , but don't buy , makes us look like cheap charlies.

Well MU just paid over 80 m for Antony and that's a player yet to prove his worth, Casemiro at 30 yo for over 70 m that has worked out and no sell on value, Sancho for well over 70m hasn't produced results, Paid 38 m for 20 yo Amad Diallo who is on loan at Sunderland .

Rewind to others, either transfers or wages, of players like Sanchez, De Maria, Maguire, Ronaldo's wages Don't think we look like cheap charlie's in fact the opposite, an easy touch. Be lucky to get 40 m for Harry whose dropped down to a bench role in big games

While Ed Woodward was brining in mega bucks with commercial deals, albeit he had no clue about players ability or worth, it didn't matter while the cash flow was there. Now thanks to Covid and general economic decline those days for MU and most are over. MU also have to negotiate a new shirt sponsor now the current one has pulled the plug.

MU are about to impose ,its rumoured by reliable sources, a salary cap of 200 m a year, not an ideal time to be negotiating a new deal for Rashford but the days of crazy transfers and salaries must end ,not sustainable unless you are from the ME

Well the Everton result continued Frank Lampard's unhappy time in management at a trigger happy club. To their credit players looked  like they don't want lose him, never threw in the towel.

Rashford  a goal and 2 assists, what a season he is having. EtH made some sensible substitutions.  Next up Charlton and guess the main players will sit on the bench and wait for City that will be the true indication where the team is headed.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/8/2023 at 4:47 PM, LeungKen said:

That is actually very clever, thanks for posting BJ, though tis a shame you didn't think of it yourself. ( Methinks you are just a Manchester supporter but with a true allegiance to Rochdale). Please just accept that David Beckham was a remakably talented player along with others of his ilk.

Yes Ken, I liked it when I saw it. It was just on a facebook feed.

As for Rochdale part. I started going to City when I was 6 months old with my dad. I didn't actually move to Rochdale until I had left the Royal Navy when I was about 25. I like supporting local teams and if Rochdale where playing whilst City were away I would often go and watch them.

As for Beckham. You would never have heard me say anything untoward about David Beckham. Respected most everything he did as a footballer.

• Thanks 1

Another 2 penalty saves from the on loan Dean Henderson tonight - He won't be happy with the semi final draw though as Forest drew United - I wonder who he'll be supporting ? Either way he'll be watching it from the stands.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Don't get giddy prematurely Red ????

I'm already super giddy brother - It's very clear for everyone to see that - UNITED ARE BACK.

Its been a long time since i have gone into a Derby match feeling so optimistic & confident - If you can come away with a point, you should be delighted - 

We will put at least 2 past you & if we can keep a clean sheet, we will beat you comfortably.

Come on you REDS ????

• Haha 1

Tonight's game wont define the season or chances of a top 4 but it might be an indicator.

Pity the 6' 6" new signing wont be there to give us some threat from set pieces and in defence.

Team selection will be interesting ,wouldn't surprise to see Fred in the run on team to give some extra energy. Problem neither him or us know how he is going to perform.

Glad its an early game.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 5:51 PM, mrbojangles said:

As for Beckham. You would never have heard me say anything untoward about David Beckham. Respected most everything he did as a footballer.

What? He lost us the world cup by being stupid. Can never forgive him. There is still a noose hanging from a lamp-post at Northumberland Park; just waiting for him, after all these years.

4 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

What? He lost us the world cup by being stupid. Can never forgive him. There is still a noose hanging from a lamp-post at Northumberland Park; just waiting for him, after all these years.

That was a harsh sending off and undeserved and wasn't it Beckhams last minute free kick goal against Greece that was the reason why England qualified for the finals and also , had Beckham not been sent off , England probably wouldn't have even won the World Cup 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

AWB being sold is beyond me,

and me , I have always seen AWB as a better defender than Dalot , and like you said , we have others to do the running up front. Just look at TAA for Liverpool , good going forward and <deleted> at defending. Give me AWB over both of these anyday.

Excellent result.....

16 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

A bit unlucky against Arsenal.

Still, with their squad top 4 isn't bad. They might even get 3rd if Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool continue to shoot themselves in the foot.

Arsenal is the best team in the EPL at the mo. The two Manchesters next. The table doesn't tell lie. The Blues and The Reds will have to take stock and plan for next season. Everton are doomed.

I'm rooting for Brighton and the Bees.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

1 point since you got lucky against us. Yip. United are back !!!

Yes, there are certainly no flies on you - And Yes, United are BACK for sure, heading in the right direction 100% - We dropped 3 points in our last 2 games due to conceding 2 90th minute goals - I already stated earlier that a top 4 finish & a Trophy this season is our priority - And i believe that we will achieve this - Arsenal are a very good team right now & are a couple of seasons in front of us - Don't forget 2 things - United are the only team to have actually beaten Arsenal this season & this is ETH"s FIRST season in charge.

With the Glazers gone, along with bringing in another 4 or 5 top quality players who fit into our new managers system & getting rid of of 4 or 5 of our current squad, the future looks bright & exciting - We will certainly be challenging for the league next season.

Our bench lacks quality, we played midweek & Arsenal didnt. Our squad needs a bit more quality in depth.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RedArmy said:

We dropped 3 points in our last 2 games

No you didn't drop 3 points in your last 2 games, you dropped 5 points

I also thought "United are back" meant you to be challenging for the title, not getting in the top 4. That would be "United are back, but not really, just United are back-ish, a little bit"

7 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

No you didn't drop 3 points in your last 2 games, you dropped 5 points

As i wrote in my above post - We dropped 3 points, due to 2 90th minute goals.

Palace - winning 1-0 = 3 points - They score in the 90th minute - We end up with 1 point = 2 points dropped.

Arsenal - Drawing 2-2 = 1 point - They score in the 90th minute - We end up with 0 points = 1 point dropped.

I aint very good at maths, but i reckon 2+1 = 3 ????

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

As i wrote in my above post - We dropped 3 points, due to 2 90th minute goals.

Palace - winning 1-0 = 3 points - They score in the 90th minute - We end up with 1 point = 2 points dropped.

Arsenal - Drawing 2-2 = 1 point - They score in the 90th minute - We end up with 0 points = 1 point dropped.

I aint very good at maths, but i reckon 2+1 = 3 ????

You can mess with the maths as much as you like if it makes you happy but the cold hard facts are that you got 1 point out of 6. Simples. That's your math sorted, now onto your colour blind issues ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

but the cold hard facts are that you got 1 point out of 6. Simples.

The cold hard facts are that in the Manchester Derby, we got 3 points out of 3 & you left with sweet FA - Simples.

On a side note, its cup semi final week this week - Have a week off ????