The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

I think the introduction of VAR has made Refs and Linesmen sort of lazy and or indecisive .

They know they can be backed up by what I think is a great system .

The only problem is , the Refs who were rubbish on the pitch a couple of years ago are the same people who are looking at VAR.

They are interpreting the laws of the game the same incorrect way they did when they were the Refs.

The only thing I can think of is , the contact was made after the header , so it didn't affect the trajectory of the ball.

7 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I think the VAR officials should be getting more heat than the ref.

Looks like they have all got the heat. "Referee Simon Hooper, video assistant ref Michael Sailsbury and assistant VAR Richard West have all been omitted from this weekend's Premier League fixtures after dropping a clanger during Manchester United's win over Wolves."

15 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Not how it works in my understanding.

VAR could've asked the ref to stop the game if they thought it was a clear and obvious error by the ref. And they didn't. I think the VAR officials should be getting more heat than the ref.

Could have been either the ref or the VAR.

https://thepfsa.co.uk/var-explained-what-is-it-and-how-does-it-work/#:~:text=Does the referee call for,their advice or ignore it.

image.png.54045c49eb4a26164eb59eed43fae390.png

The fact that neither thought it was even worth a look is staggering.

46 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Could have been either the ref or the VAR.

https://thepfsa.co.uk/var-explained-what-is-it-and-how-does-it-work/#:~:text=Does the referee call for,their advice or ignore it.

image.png.54045c49eb4a26164eb59eed43fae390.png

The fact that neither thought it was even worth a look is staggering.

Yeah I knew could be either, but what I meant was because the ref hadn't asked them to look at it, it was VAR's call.

Anyway, I'd rather be scraping lucky 1-0 wins and improve than start how we did last season and improve. 

48 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Looks like they have all got the heat. "Referee Simon Hooper, video assistant ref Michael Sailsbury and assistant VAR Richard West have all been omitted from this weekend's Premier League fixtures after dropping a clanger during Manchester United's win over Wolves."

Harsh TBH. Players make mistakes. We make mistakes in our jobs. Everyone makes mistakes. Banning officials will probably just put them under more pressure and make them more likely to mess up.

49 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

They might have been omitted to take them out of the spotlight. Not necessarily a ban.

On 8/16/2023 at 3:01 PM, mrbojangles said:

Should be put in the lower leagues for a year or two. Even that would be generous. If I got things so horribly wrong in my job I'd be sacked. 

Well I hope I am wrong , but I fear for us in away games playing in that new away shirt of ours.

I don't think it is strong enough to pick out among all the crowd background colours , it is not striking enough .

I think we will have the same problems as we did with that Grey kit all them years ago.

It has to be the worst looking shirt we have had since then.

On 8/16/2023 at 3:01 PM, mrbojangles said:

Expect him to be replaced by the other croney Kavanagh.

Business as usual

17 hours ago, NE1 said:

Well it's official , Mason Greenwood has left.

I know people's views differ , but I would have liked to have seen him stay.

He (and subsequently the club) would have suffered abuse on a scale not previously seen, week in, week out. Sponsors and high profile supporters would have dumped United so as not to be be viewed as supporting him. Both the club and he knew that and so took the right way out

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

He (and subsequently the club) would have suffered abuse on a scale not previously seen, week in, week out. Sponsors and high profile supporters would have dumped United so as not to be be viewed as supporting him. Both the club and he knew that and so took the right way out

In a statement, Greenwood accepted he had "made mistakes" and took his "share of responsibility", but added: "I did not do the things I was accused of."

United have said "based on the evidence available to us, we have concluded that the material posted online did not provide a full picture and that Mason did not commit the offences in respect of which he was originally charged"

So , if United after a 6 month investigation say he is innocent of the charges and the Prosecution service have dropped all charges , why would sponsors and high profile supporters dump united ?

It will be interesting to see where he ends up , and if the sponsors of said team withdraw financial support.

We've heard the audio and seen photos. If no further evidence is going to be released, then that is what people will base their decision on. The club have not even heard directly from the alledged victim. MUFC can make any claims they want, but claims without evidence are worthless.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NE1 said:

In a statement, Greenwood accepted he had "made mistakes" and took his "share of responsibility", but added: "I did not do the things I was accused of."

United have said "based on the evidence available to us, we have concluded that the material posted online did not provide a full picture and that Mason did not commit the offences in respect of which he was originally charged"

So , if United after a 6 month investigation say he is innocent of the charges and the Prosecution service have dropped all charges , why would sponsors and high profile supporters dump united ?

It will be interesting to see where he ends up , and if the sponsors of said team withdraw financial support.

The prosecution service dropped the case because the key witness was bought off decided not to give evidence. We all heard the audio and saw the pictures. If these were fake, or staged etc then that should be made public and the person who made them should be prosecuted for wasting police time. Why hasn't that happened? Even United employees where threatening to go on strike and many think that is a major factor in the decision to let him go. It would be a major PR disaster. The problem is, there is a lot of smoke about this and nothing has been cleared up. It would have been better to go to court and get cleared once and for all in the same way Mendy did. Until something further is brought to the publics attention that proves his innocence, there will always be doubt

• Like 1

United were left with no alternative....an upcoming talent now lost and a young lady who will have to live for the rest of her life with the actions she took....only two people know exactly what occurred the rest is pure speculation....and I am not condoning violence to women.

I wonder in the future when their child is of age and starts asking questions what the mothers reply will be.

Sad situation for all concerned and a high price to pay for someones thoughtlessness.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, petermik said:

United were left with no alternative....an upcoming talent now lost and a young lady who will have to live for the rest of her life with the actions she took....only two people know exactly what occurred the rest is pure speculation....and I am not condoning violence to women.

I wonder in the future when their child is of age and starts asking questions what the mothers reply will be.

Sad situation for all concerned and a high price to pay for someones thoughtlessness.

I am wondering can he still play, 2 years out with all that stress, maybe he is damaged goods and he turns out out nowhere near what he was, then what will she say? I saw that Mendy went to play in France but I've not checked how he is doing,

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

I am wondering can he still play, 2 years out with all that stress, maybe he is damaged goods and he turns out out nowhere near what he was, then what will she say? I saw that Mendy went to play in France but I've not checked how he is doing,

If he goes abroad which is the only possibility now and with her I can see the scenario of her saying....ooh I don,t like it here I miss my family/friends so much....to which he will reply...and who,s fault is it...I cannot see the relationship having any future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, petermik said:

You do know that Harriet ( his accuser ) is the one that is having his child and they have been back together a while .

Edited by NE1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, NE1 said:

You do know that Harriet ( his accuser ) is the one that is having his child and they have been back together a while .

You are way behind......she had the baby weeks ago :whistling:

1 hour ago, NE1 said:

Never heard that , very interesting , do you have a link for that ?

"As per Athletic, some staff members of the English club are considering resigning from their positions if Manchester United decides to reintegrate Greenwood back into the first team. Furthermore, some staff members are reportedly exploring the option of calling a strike. "

Mason Greenwood Return: Manchester United Employees Contemplate Strike After Latest Update on the 21-Year-Old's Return - Sportsmanor

Mason Greenwood and Manchester United: The U-turn – what happened and why - The Athletic

• Thumbs Up 1

I would say that there are more people that want him to stay than those not wanting him.

I think he is a great loss to United , we had a lot the fans leave and protest and even go as far to form another football club over things that they didn't like to see happening at United.

But all the supporters that left , their seats were filled within the week , as for those wanting to go on strike , they could be replaced at the drop of a hat.

The vast majority of us do not know the whole story.....

The young lady who filed the charges has made her peace with it all , why can't the rest of the anti Greenwood brigade do the same ?