The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

4 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

1987 - day nighter at the SCG, last over of the match, Allan Lamb <deleted> 18 off Bruce Reid, a lasting memory for me. 

The Kerry Packer inspired 80's one day series' in Australia were so good, with brilliant West Indies teams, Pakistan, India, New Zealand, England etc. As an expat kid "pommie cunte" it was the best feeling seeing England beat Australia, especially in the ground, at any sport to be honest. Still prefer the Test match these days, real cricket.

Bloody hell I was at that game Bob stood on the hill, Fantastic last over that.

Saw a lot of the one Sayers it was great entertainment.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, champers said:

Pre match snack to tide you over till you get home and have a proper tea. Known as the Jack Simmons.

images.jpeg

Spent the first days of my apprenticeship running around for <deleted> like that them were the days

Fulham are absolutely awful, should be a standard win and a clean sheet.

----------------------------DDG--------------------------------------------
Dalot--------------Bailly------------Lindelöf----------------------Young
--------------------------Matic--------------------------------------------
-------------Fred--------------------Pogba-----------------------------
Lingard------------------Rashford----------------------------Martial

SUBS - Sanchez (Lingard), McTominay (Matic), Mata (Fred)

Fulham 0 - 3 Man United
Rashford, Martial, Pogba (pen).

3 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Fulham are absolutely awful, should be a standard win and a clean sheet.

----------------------------DDG--------------------------------------------
Dalot--------------Bailly------------Lindelöf----------------------Young
--------------------------Matic--------------------------------------------
-------------Fred--------------------Pogba-----------------------------
Lingard------------------Rashford----------------------------Martial

SUBS - Sanchez (Lingard), McTominay (Matic), Mata (Fred)

Fulham 0 - 3 Man United
Rashford, Martial, Pogba (pen).

Has Herrera done something to upset you? Or are you resting him before PSG?

Maybe not a bad idea. I think Young could probably do with a rest too. 

11 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Has Herrera done something to upset you? Or are you resting him before PSG?

Maybe not a bad idea. I think Young could probably do with a rest too. 

Rest him I think before PSG where we will need him

We have to give Fred a run out

Edited by ChipButty

Manchester United could add four players to their first team squad this season

Man Utd made no signings in the January transfer window but there could be a good reason for that after Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's decision.

They look like Pudding Chips and Peas would kill them

0_GettyImages-1035946820.jpg

2 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Man Utd made no signings in the January transfer window but there could be a good reason for that after Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's decision.

"United's squad stands at 25 in the wake of Marouane Fellaini's exit. That is the minimum required for a European-competing club..."

I don't get it. PL squads have a maximum of 25 senior players (those born before the U21 cut-off date, which for this season is 1/1/97). Those 25 may include no more than 17 non-home grown players. However, on top of those 25, any number of U21 players can also be included (born 1/1/97 or later).

United started this PL season with an official senior squad of 24, not including U21s. With Fellaini's departure, it has now dropped to 23. This does not include Rashford or Dalot, who are both classified as U21 (for this season, anyway).

Next season, Rashford will no longer count as U21. Unless others leave in summer, that means we will start next season with 24 senior players, only 1 short of the max.

But City started this season with only 23 senior players, Liverpool with just 21.

4 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Mate can you add a source to this please...

"Manchester United could add four players to their first team squad this season"

It's great that you post up United news, but sometimes I don't know where it comes from! 

8 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Mate can you add a source to this please...

"Manchester United could add four players to their first team squad this season"

It's great that you post up United news, but sometimes I don't know where it comes from! 

Didnt think you was bothered 

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-news-squad-2019-15787109

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Academy  kids all seem to have double-barrelled names. What a world we live in today.

If there is such a thing as a good time then would this be a good time to be playing PSG?

Whether it is Paul Pogba picking up the tools he downed, Marcus Rashford finishing like Ole Gunnar Solskjaer or Neymar's brittle metatarsal, the stars continue to align for the United caretaker manager. Of all the Paris Saint-Germain matches he chose to attend, he picked the one where they finally lost in Ligue 1.

4 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Phil Jones has signed a new deal until at least 2023.

Unlucky lads! Should have offered the Chinese a 2 for 1 deal and packed him off with filthy Fellaini! 

I have said it before mate it's cheaper for our stingy owners to sign new contracts than go out and buy the quality we need, That's Jones Young Smalling all signed new deals when they all should be shipped out.

What do you guys think about having a Director of Football?

Here's some interesting facts Transfer dealings,

The problem can be illustrated the following breakdown of spending before and after Sir Alex's departure:

In the 6 seasons before Sir Alex stepped down, United were the 5th biggest spender, behind City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs. In that period, we spent 54% less than City, 26% less than Chelsea, 24% less than Liverpool and 14% less than Spurs.

But what's more telling is the number of players bought in, and their average cost: City (54 players at an average of £11.9m), Chelsea (42 at £9.58m), Liverpool (51 at £7.68m), Spurs (50 at £6.9m), United (29 at £10.29m).

Since his retirement, the average cost of our players has skyrocketed. City and Chelsea have still spent more in total, but here are the averages: United (26 at £30.7m), City (49 at £18.75m), Chelsea (47 at £18.11m), Liverpool (39 at £17.56m), Arsenal (28 at £17.29m). On average, our players cost 64% than City's, and nearly 70% more than Chelsea's, 75% more than Liverpool's and 122% more than Spurs.

I believe this reflects the problem of constantly changing managers when there is no Director of Football to steer a constant course. It has wreaked havoc on our squad.

Edited by ChipButty

I never realised that but it don't surprise me

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has become the first Manchester United manager to be named the Premier League Manager of the Month in over six years.

Does he need to beat Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, and winning the F.A Cup/UCL so he can get the job?

Edited by ChipButty

13 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I never realised that but it don't surprise me

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has become the first Manchester United manager to be named the Premier League Manager of the Month in over six years.

Does he need to beat Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, and winning the F.A Cup/UCL so he can get the job?

No he doesn't but as i said before, there isn't any need to make an official appointment until the end of the season.  Why wouldn't the board want to sit back and see how things materialize?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, carmine said:

No he doesn't but as i said before, there isn't any need to make an official appointment until the end of the season.  Why wouldn't the board want to sit back and see how things materialize?

I agree with you just having a joke comment

28 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

The problem can be illustrated the following breakdown of spending before and after Sir Alex's departure:

In the 6 seasons before Sir Alex stepped down, United were the 5th biggest spender, behind City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs. In that period, we spent 54% less than City, 26% less than Chelsea, 24% less than Liverpool and 14% less than Spurs.

But what's more telling is the number of players bought in, and their average cost: City (54 players at an average of £11.9m), Chelsea (42 at £9.58m), Liverpool (51 at £7.68m), Spurs (50 at £6.9m), United (29 at £10.29m).

Since his retirement, the average cost of our players has skyrocketed. City and Chelsea have still spent more in total, but here are the averages: United (26 at £30.7m), City (49 at £18.75m), Chelsea (47 at £18.11m), Liverpool (39 at £17.56m), Arsenal (28 at £17.29m). On average, our players cost 64% than City's, and nearly 70% more than Chelsea's, 75% more than Liverpool's and 122% more than Spurs.

I believe this reflects the problem of constantly changing managers when there is no Director of Football to steer a constant course. It has wreaked havoc on our squad.

Please post the links to where those stats came from.

Looking  only at united  in your post above , i think Rednose left with his squad past its sell by date (even though he did win the Premier  in his last season) which has required a massive rebuild PLUS 3 mangers since have all had a go at their own personal  rebuild which is reflected  in thos stats.

Think a Director of Football  position haa big benefits.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

Manchester United player ratings: Paul Pogba and Anthony Martial brilliant vs Fulham

Man Utd vs Fulham at Craven Cottage ended in another Premier League victory for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer enriched by Paul Pogba and Anthony Martial.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-player-ratings-fulham-15805318

Romelu Lukaku

United's poorest player versus Fulham. Immobile, lethargic and not a patch on Marcus Rashford as a figurehead. Will be back on the bench on Tuesday.

After the first few nervous minutes, what a terrific performance. Pogba's performances are getting better and better. Must admit I was like many others watching him under Mourinho, that is, get rid.Totally transformed. Not sure if he didn't apply himself or Jose stifled him. Probably a combination of both. Really though, it's Herrera who is doing a fantastic job. Superb again today and along with Matic's return to form they are giving Pogba the freedom to express himself. Starting to look like a United team of old, again. Big tests coming up so we'll see how far we've advanced, PSG and the  Bindippers. Good squad rotation today, although

Lukaku looks so far out of his depth in this "new"team.  He was really poor today apart from one run that lead to the penalty. Rashford is a much better fit for the way the team is playing now. Looking forward to Tuesday and next weekend.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 10:59 AM, ChipButty said:

Oy Chipbutty Face! 

Please post the links to where those stats came from.

On 2/10/2019 at 8:23 AM, ChipButty said:

Man Utd face Paris Saint-Germain on Tuesday and the injury problems are mounting for the visitors after Edinson Cavani was injured against Bordeaux today

Confirmed, Cavani is ruled out, along with Neymar.    What an opportunity!