The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Rarely do this but I am planning to stay up for the game!... Don't know how people can wake up at 3am (maybe it's an age thing).

These are the games that really matter to me. Feels 10 times as big as any England game in a major tournament could.

I remember when I was a kid, crying when United went out of Europe (I think to Galatasaray). By contrast, was never as bothered when England went out of the Euros etc.

This is what it's all about!!!

10 hours ago, ChipButty said:

My lineup for the game

--------------DDG--------------
Young--Bailly--Lindelof--Shaw
-------------Matic--------------
----Herrera-------Pogba-------
------------Lingard------------
---Rashford-------Martial-----

Yeah I think I'd also go with that ????

• Like 1

Manchester United player ratings: Alexis Sanchez and Juan Mata poor vs Paris Saint-Germain

Man Utd lost their first game under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer vs PSG in the Champions League as Angel Di Maria created both goals converted by Kylian Mbappe and Presnel Kimpembe.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-player-ratings-psg-15821271

United were poor tonight- didn’t threaten with pace and then mainly because PSG found it too comfortable and showing eventually their class and superiority. Martial and Lingard injuries did not help along with the ref...he was a disgrace and was determined to send someone off. PGS fullback should have seen red earlier....but the ref was yellow waving shambolic idiot.
Not writing off United because I’ve seen too many occasions over the years where United have bounced right back to win against the odds.
If PSG do succeed- interesting to see if City could do a job on ‘em - if they met ?

8 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Rarely do this but I am planning to stay up for the game!... Don't know how people can wake up at 3am (maybe it's an age thing).

These are the games that really matter to me. Feels 10 times as big as any England game in a major tournament could.

I remember when I was a kid, crying when United went out of Europe (I think to Galatasaray). By contrast, was never as bothered when England went out of the Euros etc.

This is what it's all about!!!

Wish I'd got up for that ????

The secret is be in bed by 9pm for 5-6 hrs kip before the game and you'll get through the day.

I didn't watch the game but have read the reports that suggest that PSG were very impressive.  No surprises there and no shame in losing to a top side like that with so much quality.

I doubt that loss will have any reflection on the selection process of your next manager because that would be ridiculous.  In the unlikely event of United turning things round in the second leg they will be able to focus on top four which OGS has made very achievable.  In doing so he will surely get the job and will have earned it.

Back to the game and it appears Di Maria was MOM.  If i were a United fan i'd be irritated to see how badly Louis van Gall utilized such a top player. Totally wasted.

Edited by carmine

It was a reality check but not a disaster. Ole played our 11 best players in their correct positions in the correct formation, set up to attack. For 45 minutes we cancelled each other out. The injuries changed the game as our wide outball vanished and Rashford became isolated which allowed PSG to push further forward. 

The limitation we had is that Ole knew there was nothing he could do. The midfield had an off night, but our back up options were Fred, Pereira and McTominay who are all not up to this level. Mata and Sanchez are the replacements for Martial and Lingard, but both are past it. Young looked out of his depth. But the alternative is an untested Dalot. Bailly again showed poor judgement. But the alternatives were Jones and Smalling. Tonight we paid the price for assembling a squad lacking depth in quality. Injuries are a great leveller and PSG could call on Draxler and Alves to come in which is far greater than our reinforcements. We need time to rebuild; one defeat should not derail all the good work Ole has done.

40 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

It was a reality check but not a disaster. Ole played our 11 best players in their correct positions in the correct formation, set up to attack. For 45 minutes we cancelled each other out. The injuries changed the game as our wide outball vanished and Rashford became isolated which allowed PSG to push further forward. 

The limitation we had is that Ole knew there was nothing he could do. The midfield had an off night, but our back up options were Fred, Pereira and McTominay who are all not up to this level. Mata and Sanchez are the replacements for Martial and Lingard, but both are past it. Young looked out of his depth. But the alternative is an untested Dalot. Bailly again showed poor judgement. But the alternatives were Jones and Smalling. Tonight we paid the price for assembling a squad lacking depth in quality. Injuries are a great leveller and PSG could call on Draxler and Alves to come in which is far greater than our reinforcements. We need time to rebuild; one defeat should not derail all the good work Ole has done.

its no poor reflection on OGS is it.  In his defense, how many United players would get into this already weakened PSG side.  De Gea in goal and i suppose an in form Pogba.  No one else.

I repeat, it won't have any adverse effect to his full time appointment.

23 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Angel Di Maria: Paris St-Germain player's lively return to Old Trafford
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47218439

Seems he had the last laugh after the abuse he got. 

Don't know about anyone else but I thought Young (I think it was) should have been yellowed for the way he barged him off the pitch and down that dangerous  hill and brick wall into the barrier. I've always thought that drop at the side of the pitch is dangerous.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Don't know about anyone else but I thought Young (I think it was) should have been yellowed for the way he barged him off the pitch and down that dangerous  hill and brick wall into the barrier. I've always thought that drop at the side of the pitch is dangerous.

Yeah definite yellow. The ref was too card happy but once he set his intentions he should of sent off another few. Pogba should of gone before he did along with another couple of PSG players. He bottled it. 

Good side Psg, We looked lively first half but after the break they took control and we had no answer.

Even if we did not lose two players through injury I still think the score would have been the same.

Roll on Chelsea in the cup we need to bounce back.

• Like 1

The ref was shocking. 

They deserved it but I just felt we could have been better tactically and managed the game more cleverly. Ole proved he can do it against Spurs, but against top European teams you need to be one step ahead. 

Tbh that's the sort of game Jose would have planned perfectly. A la Juve away. 

Let's just throw caution to the wind in Paris... Maybe Mason Greenwood could be a surprise package?? 

1 hour ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Expect further comment tomorrow...the biz class lounge has decent champagne.

Are you off to Sydney?, I will be there on the 24th February for a work stint.

• Like 1

its no poor reflection on OGS is it.  In his defense, how many United players would get into this already weakened PSG side.  De Gea in goal and i suppose an in form Pogba.  No one else.

I repeat, it won't have any adverse effect to his full time appointment.

I agree, but if he loses the two very important games againt Chelsea and Liverpool , he could still be judged in May and someone else will get the job.

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

@nev what did you think of Martial last night? I felt he didn't really turn up and then got injured. 

I know he's still young, but he needs to stop blowing hot and cold eventually. 

I thought he was well below par, Very frustrating as I was expecting him to have a great game as this was his chance to show his countrymen what he is about.

So true about him blowing hot and cold sometimes it's like he can't be bothered.

Just prepare yourselves fellas as we took psg to the cleaners when they were at full stretch and we was not. We lost to them in Paris and again we were not in motion and just last week someone turned on the Tap and our forwards are now blowing very hot so dont say i did not warn you. 

Best get the Kleenex in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

@nev what did you think of Martial last night? I felt he didn't really turn up and then got injured. 

I know he's still young, but he needs to stop blowing hot and cold eventually. 

Have a look at this comparison with Ronaldo, He is ahead on most stats and that's with a manager telling him he is craaap.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6657741/Martial-better-Premier-League-record-Ronaldo-games.html

6 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Just prepare yourselves fellas as we took psg to the cleaners when they were at full stretch and we was not. We lost to them in Paris and again we were not in motion and just last week someone turned on the Tap and our forwards are now blowing very hot so dont say i did not warn you. 

Best get the Kleenex in.

Prepare for what?, It's two weeks away and you are already giddy about beating us before a ball is kicked.

We will not be a walk over, We don't lie down easy against Liverpool lad.

• Like 1