The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

4 premier League sides in the last 8 of the champions League not a bad effort, The draw takes place tomorrow, What the odds of all four being kept apart? I very much doubt it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nev said:

4 premier League sides in the last 8 of the champions League not a bad effort, The draw takes place tomorrow, What the odds of all four being kept apart? I very much doubt it.

Since we've had the injuries the team selection has been all over the place. Fred, McTominay etc have done well, but I'm looking forward to getting back to a settled side / midfield again. Lukaku has done alright also, but I'm not sure we play better with him in the side. If we can get on another winning run again, anything can happen this season....

9 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Since we've had the injuries the team selection has been all over the place. Fred, McTominay etc have done well, but I'm looking forward to getting back to a settled side / midfield again. Lukaku has done alright also, but I'm not sure we play better with him in the side. If we can get on another winning run again, anything can happen this season....

The arsenal game was a downer, I believe we did enough to win we just didn't take our chances, Matic coming back also set us back I am afraid he is too slow and needs replacing for next season or maybe Mctominney is ready to step up.

2 minutes ago, nev said:

The arsenal game was a downer, I believe we did enough to win we just didn't take our chances, Matic coming back also set us back I am afraid he is too slow and needs replacing for next season or maybe Mctominney is ready to step up.

Yeah in many ways McTominay is like a fresher, younger version of Matic with an extra yard of pace. I still give Herrera the edge over Fred though. Based on work rate and the fact he looks a bit more street wise (i.e. knows when to put the boot in, and when to go to ground!) 

2 hours ago, nev said:

Great for English football tro have four teams in the last eight. I'm just praying that we don't get City as it would make a dream final. United vs City in Madrid has a real ring about it.

44 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Great for English football tro have four teams in the last eight. I'm just praying that we don't get City as it would make a dream final. United vs City in Madrid has a real ring about it.

Dream being the operative word. 

2 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Dream being the operative word. 

Well I suppose I'd settle for the scousers as second best. I just think that it would be a bit of a walk over for us and less entertaining for a neutral.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, nev said:

I like Matic because he does some good work and also distributes the ball well and provided that he is allowed to play in a central holding midfield role, then he won't have to worry too much about pace, and he is a difficult person to beat completely.

Much as I like McTominey, he is not in the same class, although given time he could have good role to play, but then again?

I do like Ander Herrera, but as I said, Fred showed some good characteristics and skill in the last game, so in my opinion deserves another chance or two.

What hasn't been mentioned, as far as I can see, is the fact that Pogba has had a couple, or more, of very average to poor games and that leaves United very vulnerable, especially if as has been said, "they are going to build a team around him".

If I had to make a prediction, and I don't like doing this as a rule, I would say that it will be Europa league for United next year after having failed to get in the EPL top four, and also coming up short in the Champions League.

Of course I hope I am wrong!!

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

I do like Ander Herrera, but as I said, Fred showed some good characteristics and skill in the last game, so in my opinion deserves another chance or two.

I think the midfield 3 that started throughout the winning run deserve another go, rather than being discarded because Fred managed to put a couple of good games together.

29 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I think the midfield 3 that started throughout the winning run deserve another go, rather than being discarded because Fred managed to put a couple of good games together.

Yes, cant disagree, but good to see Fred getting some game time to see how he goes............and so far, so good IMO.

Always liked Herrera and having a back-up is a good idea!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Would have thought you'd want your 'derby' match with liverpool in madrid ????

50 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Always nice to shut the noisy neighbours up.

What, you call the scousers that as well?

Be honest, there's been very little shutting up of City by ManU since Rednose gave us our favourite name. ????

Edited by Bredbury Blue

5 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

That certainly came back to haunt him

No... he had the last laugh. Because you won one title, and he won it back and then retired.

You're a joke. As if one title is a blemish on a legacy spanning nearly three decades. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

No... he had the last laugh. Because you won one title, and he won it back and then retired.

You're a joke. As if one title is a blemish on a legacy spanning nearly three decades. 

City fans will always love this gift from Rednose

September 2009

It was one of those wonderful pieces of theatre which will be so missed when Sir Alex Ferguson has packed up his tracksuit and gone.

Someone had asked him whether Manchester United will ever go into a derby match as underdogs and for 15 seconds or more he eyed his inquisitor, the hint of a glint in those narrow eyes, and you wondered whether that individual or Manchester City would be on the receiving end of the full force of his opinion.

"What time is it?" he said, at last. "I think it is time for me to leave." And as he clambered from his seat, an answer to that question... "Not in my lifetime." :cheesy:

images.jpeg

Edited by Bredbury Blue

8 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Paul Scholes, Graduate of the Steve Coppell school of Management, has resigned from Oldham Athletic after just 31 days in charge. Pathetic!

Moroccan owner, a football agent, insisted on picking the team, even though he promised Scholes that he wouldn't interfere before appointing him. Scholes told him to f*** off.

Just now, Bredbury Blue said:

Do your due diligence before stepping in the dog shit!

He did, Scholes made it clear that if he agreed to manage the club, there would be no interference. Owner went back on his word. He uses the club to showcase his "clients". Scholes had a lot of loyalty to Oldham, supported them as a kid. Tried his best to help but the owner was having none of it. Scholes walked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RickG16 said:

I wasn't trying to suggest it was a blemish on his managerial career. His achievements are beyond doubt. I was talking about his various comments like "noisy neighbours" and "not in my lifetime" coming back to haunt him. He totally misjudged us

• Haha 1

Can't argue that Fergie misjudged city, How could he account for a team on par with Bolton not won nowt for 30 od years would spend over a billion quid to jump above United, That's a might fine achievement buying your way to dine at the top table.

14 minutes ago, nev said:

Can't argue that Fergie misjudged city, 

But.…...then you go on to argue. Should have just put a full stop there.

To get at the top table you have to spend big money. Name me a single team at the top table who hasn't? Your argument is absolute folly and wreaks of jealousy that we have dared to compete with you. Typical RAG that believes only they should be at the top table

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

But.…...then you go on to argue. Should have just put a full stop there.

To get at the top table you have to spend big money. Name me a single team at the top table who hasn't? Your argument is absolute folly and wreaks of jealousy that we have dared to compete with you. Typical RAG that believes only they should be at the top table

No city are not competing with us your rich owners are, No jealousy lad what do we have to be jealous about? I really would love to know.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nev said:

No city are not competing with us your rich owners are

What do you mean. Our owners are competing with the Glaziers? As in our owners invest money INTO the club whereas yours syphon it out? Or do you mean our owners are the ones scoring the goals eh. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

You said it earlier what the underlying issue is. You don't want us at what you believe is YOUR top table

We aren't that naive. 

We've been through this before.. There is a big difference in ownership. Yes, you could say our owners are siphoning money, because they are able to rely on the massive successful club and international brand we already were / are. 

Your owners have breathed life into a club that wasn't anything. But you can't buy a history.... You openly admit your manager will probably be off at the end of his contract... What happened to the 'Pep Revolution'? The grand project? 

I don't blame him. He must be sat there wondering how you can't fill that stadium to watch the fantastic team he's assembled.. + 4 different investigations being carried out..... That wasn't what he signed up for. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RickG16 said:

We aren't that naive. 

We've been through this before.. There is a big difference in ownership. Yes, you could say our owners are siphoning money, because they are able to rely on the massive successful club and international brand we already were / are. 

Your owners have breathed life into a club that wasn't anything. But you can't buy a history.... You openly admit your manager will probably be off at the end of his contract... What happened to the 'Pep Revolution'? The grand project? 

I don't blame him. He must be sat there wondering how you can't fill that stadium to watch the fantastic team he's assembled.. + 4 different investigations being carried out..... That wasn't what he signed up for. 

Its <deleted> amazing you've got the nerve to knock our owners when youve got owners part of your fanbase protested about as they  wanted them away and who you admit suck money out of your club - good owners invest their time and money in their club; YOURS DON'T, OURS DOES! Ask any City fan do they have one complaint about our owners these past 11 years and they won't have one - WERE  VERY HAPPY WITH OUR OWNERS AND LIFE AS CITY FANS - if you're honest bet you cant say the same about your money-grabbing owners and life as a ManU fan. We were bought by a bad owner in Thaksin but hit the jackpot in so many ways being bought by Sheikh Mansour.

Aren't City in the top 5 in the world and top 2 in England for revenue? No need to worry about us, were doing great year on year.

Manchester City FC (1894), which is 8 years older than manchester united fc (1902), has no history. Interesting viewpoint Rick.

Think most people other than your biased self agree the Pep years are going really well.

Can't fill the Etihad eh. Been here many times haven't we. Go look up who has the top crowds in england and were well up there in the +50000 and just below our capacity, or have a look at the percentage full figures at the Premier clubs and we do really well, and those facts don't support your comment - and blues attend our games, we don't  get plastic daytripping tourists like those attend your games these days.

You're really  sounding more and more bitter the more we get to know the real Rick. Must be all the hurt these past six years or so since you became average.????

Edited by Bredbury Blue
  • Like 1